unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by politclyincrekt »

saintlouisontop wrote:Would never happen oia is trash
I'm glad you registered here and wasted your first few posts just to bash the OIA. Now please go away.

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by saintlouisontop »

Ive been a member for a while. Just speaking the truth it is amazing how people from the OIA think there team could compete week in and week out in the ILH. The ILH has iolani that is basically an easy win but Punahou Saint Louis and Kam are very tough. Ilene will be better in years to come also. I think the OIA has Kahuku that is constantly a top team. Mililani will be apart of the garbage next year losing there entire offense. If you really don't think I'm telling the truth go on scoring live and take a look at the schedules for Kahuku and Mililani. Kailua ? McKinley ? Castle ? Aiea ? Kapolei ? Moanalua ? Kaiser ? cmon please

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

high maka maka arrogance at work here...

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Stlouisontop - You need to realize that the ILH top 3 football schools are nothing with-out the OIA born and bred polynesian players. St. Francis is in the ILH and they are going to Tonga to get football players, does this not tell you that ILH schools are recruiting there butts off to win a football game. Football boosts the morale of any school because its an american cultural experience that tens of thousands cheer for and have pride in. Basketball and volleyball are great sports but it doesnt rally a whole community and its alumni like how football does. So, winning at football increases interest and enrollment and donations to your school. These ILH schools are all about business.

What happens when the OIA starts to do what the ILH does? (recruit and assemble the best talent) Well, you get a 2014 Mililani team that beat your ILH Punahou team for the 2014 title. Basically when the playing field is even the OIA has beaten the ILH for football titles. For Punahou to even get to that 2014 title game they barely won by 3pts against Kahuku in the Semi's, which 5 of Punahous starters were from Kahuku. So, without the ability to recruit statewide the ILH big3 would not be as strong as you boast about.

What was Punahou's response to their lack of success for football titles (2 titles in 6 appearances)? They got a 10 million dollar donation this year to up their recruiting financial package. Yes, they want to offer more kids enrollment into their school and I can guarantee you will see more polynesian football players from the OIA being recruited to attend Punahou.

What was St. Louis's response to their lack of football success recently (cant even beat Punahou anymore)? They opened up a grade school k-6 so that they can start grooming and recruiting their athletic talent early.

What issues are the OIA dealing with in 2015? trying to buy a fan for the classroom.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

gridiron22 wrote:Stlouisontop - You need to realize that the ILH top 3 football schools are nothing with-out the OIA born and bred polynesian players. St. Francis is in the ILH and they are going to Tonga to get football players, does this not tell you that ILH schools are recruiting there butts off to win a football game. Football boosts the morale of any school because its an american cultural experience that tens of thousands cheer for and have pride in. Basketball and volleyball are great sports but it doesnt rally a whole community and its alumni like how football does. So, winning at football increases interest and enrollment and donations to your school. These ILH schools are all about business.

What happens when the OIA starts to do what the ILH does? (recruit and assemble the best talent) Well, you get a 2014 Mililani team that beat your ILH Punahou team for the 2014 title. Basically when the playing field is even the OIA has beaten the ILH for football titles. For Punahou to even get to that 2014 title game they barely won by 3pts against Kahuku in the Semi's, which 5 of Punahous starters were from Kahuku. So, without the ability to recruit statewide the ILH big3 would not be as strong as you boast about.

What was Punahou's response to their lack of success for football titles (2 titles in 6 appearances)? They got a 10 million dollar donation this year to up their recruiting financial package. Yes, they want to offer more kids enrollment into their school and I can guarantee you will see more polynesian football players from the OIA being recruited to attend Punahou.

What was St. Louis's response to their lack of football success recently (cant even beat Punahou anymore)? They opened up a grade school k-6 so that they can start grooming and recruiting their athletic talent early.

What issues are the OIA dealing with in 2015? trying to buy a fan for the classroom.
I know this is a serious discussion, but that last line had me going...good stuff!

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

gridiron22 wrote:Stlouisontop - You need to realize that the ILH top 3 football schools are nothing with-out the OIA born and bred polynesian players. St. Francis is in the ILH and they are going to Tonga to get football players, does this not tell you that ILH schools are recruiting there butts off to win a football game. Football boosts the morale of any school because its an american cultural experience that tens of thousands cheer for and have pride in. Basketball and volleyball are great sports but it doesnt rally a whole community and its alumni like how football does. So, winning at football increases interest and enrollment and donations to your school. These ILH schools are all about business.

joesmako44
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by joesmako44 »

STLOUISONTOP is exactly right. There is no comparison to the ILH. Mililani will go back to the bottom next season. That is why York will leave because he is not a fool (i hope) to stay. Kahuku picks up kids from one city to another city. That is like putting Aiea, Radford, and Moanalua together. Do you think they would be good???? duh So all that home grown drama is always being said is overrated. Parents and kids want to go to a private school because they want to better themselves. Not that you cannot do it in the OIA but that is just what it is. End result???? St Louis and Punahou winner will win the State Title this year!!

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

joesmako44 wrote:STLOUISONTOP is exactly right. There is no comparison to the ILH. Mililani will go back to the bottom next season. That is why York will leave because he is not a fool (i hope) to stay. Kahuku picks up kids from one city to another city. That is like putting Aiea, Radford, and Moanalua together. Do you think they would be good???? duh So all that home grown drama is always being said is overrated. Parents and kids want to go to a private school because they want to better themselves. Not that you cannot do it in the OIA but that is just what it is. End result???? St Louis and Punahou winner will win the State Title this year!!
That's what you guys said last year and look what happened!

As for Kahuku they do recruit...in laie and hauula

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

joesmako44 & saintlouisontop gotta be the same person lmao. if not i can see why alot of people have a distaste for STL when you got "alumni/supporters" that spout off the mouth like this

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Would you rather go to Punahou or Kahuku ? when the OIA starts doing what the ILH does. It is about winning and sending the kids off to college. Look at Mililani if Kalakaua was at an ILH D1 school he would have offers from all over. instead of just 3 offers. thats what makes the ILH so competitive there 1st and second stringers could do good against any OIA team. Watch that Punahou vs Mililani game last year Punahou had a bad start and then what ? made ita game. Mililani this year is what good but not an ILH caliber school.

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

What makes Saint Louis or Punahou vs Mililani or Kahuku so different is that the ILH teams have both Offense and defense. Kahuku has a great defense but what can they do on offense? Mililani great offense but what can they do on defense ? If you think Mililani can out score every opponent thats because they are playing sub par teams. Take a look at Liberty a decent team with both offense and defense and what happened ? Out scored. Kahuku who have they played ? I compare it to an SEC conference to the Pac 12. Pac 12 teams believe they are the best but in reality if they played teams in the SEC they would lose.

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Any other statements ?

rednblue
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by rednblue »

2k_Hawaii wrote:joesmako44 & saintlouisontop gotta be the same person lmao. if not i can see why alot of people have a distaste for STL when you got "alumni/supporters" that spout off the mouth like this
Yeah, tell me about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about STL and the success of the school, but when pride becomes arrogance on a public forum, it only deters our image. I try not to get involved in the entire ILH vs OIA conversations that seems to come up no matter what when discussing school/schedule strength because the arguments will always be the same: "ILH takes players from OIA" and "OIA can't compete with the ILH."

The way I see it, ILH schools get the kids from communities all over because they are private institutions, just because a kid is born in raised in their community doesn't necessarily make he/she destined to attend the local school. If parents see it in the best interest for their child to attend private school (whether for academics or athletics), then thats their business, it is what it is. I don't care to live in what ifs.

Do OIA schools suffer from this? Absolutely. But it can go both ways, as recently as DB Kekaula Kaniho leaving Kamehameha for Kahuku or RB Vavae Malepeai leaving Saint Louis for Mililani. Both are experiencing great success: Kaniho is one of the upper tier 2017 DB prospects in the state and Malepeai is headed to Oregon next year. So the argument that ILH athletic programs offer better opportunities isn't one I really support. If you can ball, you'll get noticed. I think that fact that the OIA does seed three teams into the state tourney is enough to balance out who ILH teams field. Only one ILH team will seed in the state tourney, do I necessarily think thats fair? No, but it is what it is. Wanna get in? Win.

I'm proud that the Crusaders are having a good year so far, but we shouldn't be down talking other teams, especially the OIA teams. We haven't even earned the right to play in the state tourney, we can't seem to beat Punahou. So the focus should be winning the ILH first, instead of trashing other schools and upsetting their fan bases. We don't need any more bad juju.

This forum is for fans and alum to converse and support their teams and communities. I really don't care where these kids play or how they got there. I just hope they can ball out, gain exposure, and represent the islands on the next stage.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

saintlouisontop wrote:What makes Saint Louis or Punahou vs Mililani or Kahuku so different is that the ILH teams have both Offense and defense. Kahuku has a great defense but what can they do on offense? Mililani great offense but what can they do on defense ? If you think Mililani can out score every opponent thats because they are playing sub par teams. Take a look at Liberty a decent team with both offense and defense and what happened ? Out scored. Kahuku who have they played ? I compare it to an SEC conference to the Pac 12. Pac 12 teams believe they are the best but in reality if they played teams in the SEC they would lose.
Funny you bring the SEC argument into it because it works against you.

SEC invites 2 average Big 12 teams in and what happens?
Missouri the division 2 of the 3 years. Not UT, not Ok St, not OU. Mid of the Big 12, Missouri. Texas A&M making more noise in the SEC than they did in the Big 12 as well.

Oh and that same Big 12, they gave mid major TCU that AQ Bowl money and now TCU runs the Big 12. Not Utah or Boise.

The playing field was leveled financially, the statement was made on the field.

Hell, what happened when they took away the 5th year senior rule from the ILH? That 14 year run ended real quick in the State Championship era huh?

Like grid22 said, what happened when the OIA started recruiting? Iolani's 500 year reign of D2 DONE from who? Kaiser. Not Radford, Pearl City, or any other decent perennial OIA D2 team.
Punahou gives up the most points in Hawaii State Championship history.

The only thing the private schools have over public is money and access to it. They use money to broadcast talented kids into the next level. That's what the private school can do that the public school can't when it comes to straight up resources.

Recruiting? That's just a rule that stops the OIA. Sooner or later, it's bound to be modified. It's funny that you bring up Kahuku when they give more than they recruit, if they even do recruit. Mililani and Kaiser were both afterthoughts until a Head Coach came and gathered all that talent. That just showed how big of an impact recruiting does. Not the ILH, just the ability to stack teams.

Bottom line, the only thing the ILH has over OIA is money. You're giving way more credit than what it really is.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

rednblue wrote:
2k_Hawaii wrote:joesmako44 & saintlouisontop gotta be the same person lmao. if not i can see why alot of people have a distaste for STL when you got "alumni/supporters" that spout off the mouth like this
Yeah, tell me about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about STL and the success of the school, but when pride becomes arrogance on a public forum, it only deters our image. I try not to get involved in the entire ILH vs OIA conversations that seems to come up no matter what when discussing school/schedule strength because the arguments will always be the same: "ILH takes players from OIA" and "OIA can't compete with the ILH."

The way I see it, ILH schools get the kids from communities all over because they are private institutions, just because a kid is born in raised in their community doesn't necessarily make he/she destined to attend the local school. If parents see it in the best interest for their child to attend private school (whether for academics or athletics), then thats their business, it is what it is. I don't care to live in what ifs.

Do OIA schools suffer from this? Absolutely. But it can go both ways, as recently as DB Kekaula Kaniho leaving Kamehameha for Kahuku or RB Vavae Malepeai leaving Saint Louis for Mililani. Both are experiencing great success: Kaniho is one of the upper tier 2017 DB prospects in the state and Malepeai is headed to Oregon next year. So the argument that ILH athletic programs offer better opportunities isn't one I really support. If you can ball, you'll get noticed. I think that fact that the OIA does seed three teams into the state tourney is enough to balance out who ILH teams field. Only one ILH team will seed in the state tourney, do I necessarily think thats fair? No, but it is what it is. Wanna get in? Win.

I'm proud that the Crusaders are having a good year so far, but we shouldn't be down talking other teams, especially the OIA teams. We haven't even earned the right to play in the state tourney, we can't seem to beat Punahou. So the focus should be winning the ILH first, instead of trashing other schools and upsetting their fan bases. We don't need any more bad juju.

This forum is for fans and alum to converse and support their teams and communities. I really don't care where these kids play or how they got there. I just hope they can ball out, gain exposure, and represent the islands on the next stage.
EXTREMELY WELL SAID!