unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

Mililani-St.Louis is probably the headliner D-I game this week.

For St.Louis everything starts and ends with Tua Tagovailoa. He is a finalist for National Player of the year for a reason...he makes good things happen for his team.He can beat you with his arm and his legs.Now,the thing about this is that McKenzie Milton can do the same things for Mililani. Both QB are over 2000 yards through the air,and over 300 yards on the ground. Wash at QB.Milton is hurt you say...well,he will grind it out on the big stage just like Tagovailoa ground it out after his leg injury earlier.

Running game...Mililani is the clear leader here.Malepeai over 1600 yards by himself.No Crusader back comes close.Aaaah,but you say Malepeai won't be 100 percent. Well,we will see....but my feeling is that St.Louis was never going to win this game on the ground alone anyway...they were always going to need Tagovailoa to run and pass...mostly pass though.

And this brings me to my deciding factor. The worst thing St.Louis does is defend the pass,and the best thing Mililani does is pass.Picking Mililani to win this one.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The other D-I semifinal pits Waianae against Kahuku.

I don't think there is a lot to say about this game. The Red Raiders are giving up less than four points a game to opponents. Waianae is giving up an average of 24 points or so a game. I expect the Kahuku ground game to dominate again. Picking Kahuku to take this contest.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Only one problem with an All OIA State Championship. It would be the first time since the Prep Bowl and State Championship series and would almost open the door for a second ILH entry. Plus the fact that Punahou and Iolani was sent packing early and they have choke law firm alumni.

Dog 96707
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Dog 96707 »

Hopefully an all OIA final will open the door for another ILH team. we want to see the best teams compete. maybe play the OIA #3 v. ILH #2, like a play in game for that spot??? LOL. An all OIA championship is not really a big deal, besides the fact that it'll be the first time it has ever happened. That's where Hawaii HS football is right now. It's no longer dominated by the ILH or an OIA powerhouse, there is a lot more competition, and I believe it has to do with the kids staying home, playing for their home school and not getting drawn to the private schools. Also,the coaching has gotten much better ......all the way across the board. I love seeing this. And this year, more than any other year, 3 of the final 4 div 1 teams are pretty evenly matched......and the way the brackets are set, this could very well be the year we all see an all OIA championship. Can't wait to see it all unfold on FRIDAY night.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

An all OIA state final would be cool, especially because it would pit Big Red's D against Mililani's O at full strength.
At the same time, I don't mind an old school championship between the boys from the country vs the privileged boys from the hill; games like this(if it happens) let you know that all is right in the high school football universe.

BUT, Big Red has got to get through Waianae first and may the best team win between St Louis and Mililani.
RRFL!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

If it takes an all OIA championship final to bring about the top two ILH teams getting into the tournament.....then bring it on!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

unpaid wrote:If it takes an all OIA championship final to bring about the top two ILH teams getting into the tournament.....then bring it on!
Amen.

Although you can bet that if the people in charge of the state tournament does let another ILH team participate in some capacity, you can bet that if both ILH teams are in the semifinals that the OIA insist that the two ILH teams play each other in the semis (to avoid an all-ILH final and thus, an all-OIA final). I wish I could see what we could do in the state tournament, but it ain't the end of the world.

And one more question: does anyone justify the OIA's animosity toward the ILH? This isn't to say that every OIA homer or every person associated with the OIA bears animosity toward the ILH, but don't be naive to think that some (or possibly most) OIA officials do. The OIA officials who bear animosity toward the ILH are holding things back.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Read option
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Read option »

IMHO if we want another ILH team in the D1 state tournament the HHSAA needs to consider making the BIIF an all D2 league in FOOTBALL ONLY. The BIIF D1 Champs have NEVER won a game since the state tournament started back in 1999. Dropping them down would open up a slot for another ILH team. The BIIF has been way more competitive at the D2 side since the split of D1 & 2 in '03. Face it BIIF when your D2 Champs this year sweep the D1 teams with a combined score of 184-53 and then BIIF your D1 rep gets crushed in the first round you need to consider completely competing in D2. Now the MIL D1 teams have won over the years and can stay there.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Read option wrote:IMHO if we want another ILH team in the D1 state tournament the HHSAA needs to consider making the BIIF an all D2 league in FOOTBALL ONLY. The BIIF D1 Champs have NEVER won a game since the state tournament started back in 1999. Dropping them down would open up a slot for another ILH team. The BIIF has been way more competitive at the D2 side since the split of D1 & 2 in '03. Face it BIIF when your D2 Champs this year sweep the D1 teams with a combined score of 184-53 and then BIIF your D1 rep gets crushed in the first round you need to consider completely competing in D2. Now the MIL D1 teams have won over the years and can stay there.
I've been suggesting that as well, as have others.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

leadership
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by leadership »

What about all the OIA teams that got smashed by Mililani and Kahuku this year, should they go to DII? what about all the OIA teams that haven't made it to the DI playoffs, should they go to DII? No, BIIF has eight teams and four want to be in DI so live with it and stop saying it. ILH pulls kids from every island and every district with no boundaries. so why keep putting down teams that have small districts but compete year after year? Konawaena kicked everyones butts in girls basketball, should all the other teams play DII?

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

This discussion will be moot as St.Louis WILL WIN tomorrow's game and it will be another OIA VS.ILH final.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

This discussion can go on forever and take a different approach each year depending on the strength of each league. But what is not disputed is the best teams from each league are represented in the "State" tournament each year. On a side note, If Hilo High school and Kealakehe are moved down to DII, you will hear a whole bunch of people complaining like they did with Iolani. Btw, Konawaena did beat Hilo on a very close game early on during the season, and I can say this with confidence that if they were to meet again in the latter part of the season, Hilo would win no doubt. The BIIF as a whole this year was not as competitive as years past. Next year will be better all around.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

In all honesty, Getreal, I know you love your BIIF teams, but do you really think Hilo or Kealakehe would be head and shoulders above Radford? I think if they were to play in the D2 tournament they'd be like Radford or Kapaa this year.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

gopunahou wrote:In all honesty, Getreal, I know you love your BIIF teams, but do you really think Hilo or Kealakehe would be head and shoulders above Radford? I think if they were to play in the D2 tournament they'd be like Radford or Kapaa this year.
Correct me if i"m wrong but wasn't I responding to a post that said all BIIF teams should play DII? The post didn't say this year, it said play DII. To answer your question, If Hilo was to play DII, yes, they would be better than Radford the past three years and I would favor them over Radford this year if they played DII. I love football in general and I'm not stupid when it comes to OIA, ILH and the neighbor Island talent pool. I do however, think you LOVE the ILH and don't believe anyone else besides the top two OIA teams are worthy of even being mentioned. So lets just say this, you are always right and i'm wrong and forgive me for even mentioning or defending the BIIF. The BIIF 8 teams and the 20% state population base that is spread out over 4023 sq miles cannot compete with a district-less ILH that can pull talent from across the state to make one team...that my friend is the truth. Truth be told, but we don't cry we just ask to compete and be given a chance.

Read option
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Read option »

Numbers don't lie.... Since the split of D1 & D2 in 2003 the BIIF is 0-13 in the D1 state Tournament. In D2 however BIIF teams including this year has won 4 times but hasn't made it to the title game yet(Kona gets the 4th attempt). Numbers show that the BIIF is more competitive in D2 then D1. If Hilo and Kealakehe move down people wouldn't complain like they did with iolani cause it has been proven the past 13 D1 tournaments that those 2 can't win at the D1 level. Putting Hilo in the D2 tournament this year would be fun for those kids knowing they would have a chance. I also would love to see Kona play Hilo Again to get into the D2 state tournament that would be a very competitive game worth the price of admission.