unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by EITSwarrior »

Markeke wrote:Must say that the targeting against Tufaga was warranted. Too bad he out of the Big game.
Wasn't even called targeting, the refs called it a blindside hit. Either way I thought it was bogus. And ejecting him was overkill IMO. I didn't see anything flagrant other than trying to dislodge the ball.

KindergartenCop
High-quality H20 provider

Post by KindergartenCop »

EITSwarrior wrote:
Markeke wrote:Must say that the targeting against Tufaga was warranted. Too bad he out of the Big game.
Wasn't even called targeting, the refs called it a blindside hit. Either way I thought it was bogus. And ejecting him was overkill IMO. I didn't see anything flagrant other than trying to dislodge the ball.
I saw it the same way.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

KindergartenCop wrote:
EITSwarrior wrote:
I saw it the same way.
I know right. If that's gonna be called for a penalty and ejection these days, we might as well just play flag football.

95boyz

Post by 95boyz »

The same targeting call was called on Keala Santiago earlier in the year. He was ejected and sat out the next game as well.
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

95boyz wrote:The same targeting call was called on Keala Santiago earlier in the year. He was ejected and sat out the next game as well.
Can't comment on that since I didn't see that and whether it warranted an ejection.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Maybe I'm wrong. Targeting a defenseless player with a hit above the shoulder (head) calls for an immediate ejection, but does the committee make the 1 game suspension call? And can Coach Cal appeal?

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Markeke wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong. Targeting a defenseless player with a hit above the shoulder (head) calls for an immediate ejection, but does the committee make the 1 game suspension call? And can Coach Cal appeal?
I didn't see a hit on the head. I saw a shove to the arms and shoulder area.

To be fair to the refs, it was a quick bang-bang play.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

It seems to me that discussions about targeting will continue for the forseeable future as long this increasing fascination with delivering a big hit is glorified instead of getting to the ball carrier and wrapping him up and stopping forward progress....and that is just for runningbacks.When a QB is involved...it's always going to get called because,in a passing situation he is a sitting duck,he throws the ball and then is just standing there,and your defensive player gets there and try to knock him down instead of wrapping him up and impeding his throwing motion...yeah,your defensive guy is going to get called every time.The QB standing there after throwing the ball....and gets nailed by a defensive player. Good luck trying to get that perception changed from officials. At least a running back has the ball and is moving..mitigating the force somewhat...but QB throwing....he is a sitting duck and if you want to take a shot at him...that call goes against the defense.

By the way,flag football is tougher than you think. I recall fists and elbows flying every day of the football rotation in the first quarter of PE at Radford in my freshman and sophomore years. Understand,fisticuffs,no officials around,Coach Velasco and Coach Bader doing who knows what and there were eight teams of high school underclassmen competing against each other without officials ,or pads,or helmets. Mayhem ensued and somehow we got through it.

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Dog 96707 wrote:
HaterOfElitists wrote:
Markeke wrote:This discussion will be moot as St.Louis WILL WIN tomorrow's game and it will be another OIA VS.ILH final.
You make it sound like its a done deal that STL will beat Mililani, which it ain't. Even some hardcore fans of STL think Mililanis got the edge in some areas. An all-OIA final almost happened last year, and remember, many thought Kahuku had less of a chance of beating Punahou in the semis last year than Mililani does of beating STL.

An all-OIA final is very possible this year. It's bound to happen sooner or later, the OIA has 3 spots in the 6 team tournament. and the way the HHSAA sets the brackets every year( having the OIA 2 v. ILH 1 in the semis) it's got to happen soon. I thought it was going to happen last year, but this year looks pretty damn good. mil, kahuku and stl are all pretty even. and if it doesn't happen this year , so be it. i'd also love to see a good old school kahuku v. stl match up. gonna be fireworks tonight, I can't wait.

ok, so I guess an all oia final is out of the question this year. damn!!! lol, I really want to see another oia team get in. oh well, now it's time for the heavyweights of Hawaii hs football to take center stage on Friday. stl, no doubt the school that has put Hawaii hs football on the map from their success back in the day v. kahuku, the school/community that has great pride and has been the team to beat this past decade. just what the football fans want to see

Dog 96707

Post by Dog 96707 »

Dog 96707 wrote:
Dog 96707 wrote:
HaterOfElitists wrote: You make it sound like its a done deal that STL will beat Mililani, which it ain't. Even some hardcore fans of STL think Mililanis got the edge in some areas. An all-OIA final almost happened last year, and remember, many thought Kahuku had less of a chance of beating Punahou in the semis last year than Mililani does of beating STL.

An all-OIA final is very possible this year. It's bound to happen sooner or later, the OIA has 3 spots in the 6 team tournament. and the way the HHSAA sets the brackets every year( having the OIA 2 v. ILH 1 in the semis) it's got to happen soon. I thought it was going to happen last year, but this year looks pretty damn good. mil, kahuku and stl are all pretty even. and if it doesn't happen this year , so be it. i'd also love to see a good old school kahuku v. stl match up. gonna be fireworks tonight, I can't wait.

ok, so I guess an all oia final is out of the question this year. damn!!! lol, I really want to see another oia team get in. oh well, now it's time for the heavyweights of Hawaii hs football to take center stage on Friday. stl, no doubt the school that has put Hawaii hs football on the map from their success back in the day v. kahuku, the school/community that has great pride and has been the team to beat this past decade. just what the football fans want to see

I meant to say I want to see another ilh team get in. lol

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

unpaid wrote:
By the way,flag football is tougher than you think. I recall fists and elbows flying every day of the football rotation in the first quarter of PE at Radford in my freshman and sophomore years. Understand,fisticuffs,no officials around,Coach Velasco and Coach Bader doing who knows what and there were eight teams of high school underclassmen competing against each other without officials ,or pads,or helmets. Mayhem ensued and somehow we got through it.
So is flag football with pads/helmet on even more wussified?
Thats the direction we are going with American football.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Getreal$ wrote:
HaterOfElitists wrote:And Getreal$, you sound like you are taking everything personal here. What gives?
Personal? No not at all... unlike some of these personal attacks and defending one team at all costs, that I do recall maybe you have done, I am speaking to those who say the NI teams are crap and shouldn't be a part of the DI "State" tournament. Just standing up for the little guy who keeps getting kicked. And please look back on my previous posts, I defended Konawaena, KSH, Hilo, Baldwin, Lahainaluna.....I don't defend one team like some do. I cheered on Mililani last year and Punahou the year before, and I've liked Kahuku and Waianae's style of play for many years, how can I take this personal? Seems like you may be taking my comments personal? This year I'm excited for all the teams and will enjoy the games tonight and tomorrow and may the best teams win.
Getreal$ you and all the Big Island folks can now claim stake in the D1 title game, thanks to Cal Lee all neighbor islands are now representing in a Crusader uniform.

leadership
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by leadership »

Can someone explain to me why Tua doesn't need to play with a mouthpiece? I thought it was required, am I wrong?

KindergartenCop

leadership wrote:Can someone explain to me why Tua doesn't need to play with a mouthpiece? I thought it was required, am I wrong?
REALY......

KindergartenCop

Let's just put in in plain English.

Mililani got DOMINATED in all aspects of the game. Saint Louis turned off the gas when the went into the locker room at the half. Tua did not come back into the game in the second half. The Scot would have been 80. Plus if Call left the starters in. Mililani left Kalakaua and Vavae for the entire game even all hope was lost. PADDING STATS. Is the only thing I cN think of as to why they were still in the game. They should have put their back ups in like Saint Louis did for game experience.

Mililani is old erelivant news.