unpaid D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

unpaid D-I football

Post by unpaid »

Saturday thoughts,

Kapolei wore down Kaiser 49-28. The Cougars small squad requires lots of two-way players and they started cramping up apparently. Kaiser has talent,they rushed for well over 300 yards,but what really hurt them,I think,was losing Nic Tom. He had 132 through the air and ran for more than Jensen McDaniels who had 130+ on the ground following Tom's 200 rushing yards.

Kapolei bombed Kaiser. Tagovailoa seemed to be more of the precision passer of the two Hurricane QB's. while Savea was the better run-pass combo threat. Defensively,they are gonna have to tighten up the run defense. Kahuku is next and they love to run the football. Kahuku has a good defensive secondary which will test Kapolei's air game.They are going to need those arms,because I don't think the running game is going to be productive against Kahuku very often this year.All you need to know here is that Terrell Johnson was kept to minus rushing yards against the Red Raider D.

Happy to read a Kailua-Castle line score again.Castle is as scrappy as always and Kailua might just win more than 1 or 2 division games this year. We shall see.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-I football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:Saturday thoughts,

Kapolei wore down Kaiser 49-28. The Cougars small squad requires lots of two-way players and they started cramping up apparently. Kaiser has talent,they rushed for well over 300 yards,but what really hurt them,I think,was losing Nic Tom. He had 132 through the air and ran for more than Jensen McDaniels who had 130+ on the ground following Tom's 200 rushing yards.

Kapolei bombed Kaiser. Tagovailoa seemed to be more of the precision passer of the two Hurricane QB's. while Savea was the better run-pass combo threat. Defensively,they are gonna have to tighten up the run defense. Kahuku is next and they love to run the football. Kahuku has a good defensive secondary which will test Kapolei's air game.They are going to need those arms,because I don't think the running game is going to be productive against Kahuku very often this year.All you need to know here is that Terrell Johnson was kept to minus rushing yards against the Red Raider D.

Happy to read a Kailua-Castle line score again.Castle is as scrappy as always and Kailua might just win more than 1 or 2 division games this year. We shall see.
@unpaid: What happened to Tom? Did he get hurt? If he did, then Kaiser has lost its top two QBs, with starter Uahinui transferring to Farrington two weeks ago. I think a lot of guys were surprised that Kaiser was ranked #8, given that they lost Uahinui. And now--given last night's blowout loss--I suspect that Kaiser will drop out of the poll entirely, this week. That seems all the more certain, given that Kapolei isn't even ranked. Perhaps Kapolei will enter the Top Ten this week.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

I think the way Iolani is performing tonight can help us conclude on obvious thing: Iolani won't do as bad against Farrington and the Big 3 as some people think.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:I think the way Iolani is performing tonight can help us conclude on obvious thing: Iolani won't do as bad against Farrington and the Big 3 as some people think.
@gopunahou: Well, Iolani is no creampuff this year (as if they ever were). They're ranked, they're big on the line, they have a good RB, and they beat Waianae rather decisively in a scrimmage last week. As usual, Farrington has a huge O-line, but Iolani's D-line isn't as small as it usually is. Also, Farrington has issues on D. I wouldn't be surprised if Iolani beat Farrington, despite the fact that Farrington is ranked ahead (#6). I still don't see Iolani beating the ILH D1 "Big Three", though. Both Punahou and Kamehameha look tough, and St Louis is ranked #2 in the state. Punahou and Kamehameha are ranked #3 and #5, respectively. Iolani, while ranked, is back at #10. If Iolani seems to have a chance against #6 Farrington, wouldn't they also have a chance against #5 Kamehameha? Not necessarily, I think. I think the gap between #5 Kamehameha and #6 Farrington is quite large.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:I think the way Iolani is performing tonight can help us conclude on obvious thing: Iolani won't do as bad against Farrington and the Big 3 as some people think.
@gopunahou: Well, Iolani is no creampuff this year (as if they ever were). They're ranked, they're big on the line, they have a good RB, and they beat Waianae rather decisively in a scrimmage last week. As usual, Farrington has a huge O-line, but Iolani's D-line isn't as small as it usually is. Also, Farrington has issues on D. I wouldn't be surprised if Iolani beat Farrington, despite the fact that Farrington is ranked ahead (#6). I still don't see Iolani beating the ILH D1 "Big Three", though. Both Punahou and Kamehameha look tough, and St Louis is ranked #2 in the state. Punahou and Kamehameha are ranked #3 and #5, respectively. Iolani, while ranked, is back at #10. If Iolani seems to have a chance against #6 Farrington, wouldn't they also have a chance against #5 Kamehameha? Not necessarily, I think. I think the gap between #5 Kamehameha and #6 Farrington is quite large.
Whatever the case may be, nobody's got any business clamoring for them to go back to D2. They are a real D1 team this year and may be for a while. They seem to be as big as they were when Donny Mateaki was wrecking havoc for them back in the early 2000s. If they are as big as the Mateaki and Igber teams, they've got no business crying about lack of size.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Whatever the case may be, nobody's got any business clamoring for them to go back to D2. They are a real D1 team this year and may be for a while. They seem to be as big as they were when Donny Mateaki was wrecking havoc for them back in the early 2000s. If they are as big as the Mateaki and Igber teams, they've got no business crying about lack of size.
@gopunahou: Well, Iolani might say, "Well, we may have the size, but we don't have the numbers. We're thin at almost every position."

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: @gopunahou: Well, Iolani might say, "Well, we may have the size, but we don't have the numbers. We're thin at almost every position."
So are a lot of teams that are in D1. I don't hate Iolani (I've got some friends there). I just can't stand the excuses most of their backers make every year. If these excuse-makers (who call these excuses "explanations") took a lesson from Randy Yamashiro (Maryknoll baseball coach) and Gary McKnight (head basketball coach of California's Mater Dei HS), it'd do wonders for them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Mililani 41, St. Louis 21. St. Louis might not have taken this "scrimmage" as seriously as Mililani did (since it was a scrimmage). That's one possibility. Another is that the St. Louis team itself is a work in progress while Mililani is continuing to roll. The most impressive teams this weekend have been Mililani, Punahou, and Kahuku. I hope my boys can keep it going and let this be the start of something special!

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

gopunahou wrote:Mililani 41, St. Louis 21. St. Louis might not have taken this "scrimmage" as seriously as Mililani did (since it was a scrimmage). That's one possibility. Another is that the St. Louis team itself is a work in progress while Mililani is continuing to roll. The most impressive teams this weekend have been Mililani, Punahou, and Kahuku. I hope my boys can keep it going and let this be the start of something special!
The Saint Louis score is a tad deceiving. Mililani's 1s outscored Saint Louis' 1s 4-3 in two quarters (20 min of action). Saint Louis rested Kobayashi and Herbig again. Not saying that Saint Louis is better because Mililani's offense is ridiculous, but I don't think 41-21 is reflective of where the teams are at.

I was pleasantly surprised with Saint Louis' performance.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Going back to Kamehameha, nobody should overlook them. They tend to be at their best when nobody expects anything from them (see 2009 and 2011).

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week One,

1.Mililani 0-0 Did not play( a game that counted anyway...had a good scrimmage showing)
2.Kahuku 1-0 Shut out Campbell 50-0. No.8 Kapolei next.
3.Punahou 1-0 Took a while to get untracked against Leilehua,but when Puns did...oh boy!
4.St.Louis 0-0 Got some time to fix things and get healthy. Bye next.
5.Kamehameha 1-0 Beat Waianae. Baldwin next.
6.Farrington 0-0 DNP.
7.Moanalua 1-0 Dominated an outmanned Waiakea squad.
8.Kapolei 1-0 Looks like Coach Hernandez wants to throw the ball too.
9.Iolani 1-0 Beat Kamehameha-Maui. Raider D-I slate begins with Kealakehe next.
10.Kailua 1-0 Surfrider O was humming against Castle.

Campbell,Maui,and Kaiser drop out with opening game losses.

St.Louis has two weeks before their next game to fix some problems.If they can't,then the Crusaders will go as far as their QB can take them and I think he can take them pretty far...but it would nice to get some help.Still skeptical of them being ranked over Punahou but we will see. Kamehameha's solid showing against Waianae reinforces my belief that the Warriors should not be overlooked in the ILH race.I think ,from a fans perspective,the ILH is very competitve this year and the D-I teams are pretty evenly matched.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

HS Football Fanatic,

Apparently Tom and several other Kaiser players were cramping up to varying degrees....think Tom's case was a little worse,but he should be back at the controls next weekend.

Back in the day,a glass of pickle juice was thought to be one way to prevent cramping on hot,humid game-nights. Just hope it didn't have to be a full glass,though.
Last edited by unpaid on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldnite
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by oldnite »

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: @gopunahou: Well, Iolani might say, "Well, we may have the size, but we don't have the numbers. We're thin at almost every position."
So are a lot of teams that are in D1. I don't hate Iolani (I've got some friends there). I just can't stand the excuses most of their backers make every year. If these excuse-makers (who call these excuses "explanations") took a lesson from Randy Yamashiro (Maryknoll baseball coach) and Gary McKnight (head basketball coach of California's Mater Dei HS), it'd do wonders for them.

You obviously didn't see the game tonight. Iolani does have some big boys on both sides of the line but they wouldn't be starters at any of the other top ranked d1 teams. Large does not equal talented college prospects. Half the team wouldn't make the cut at the big schools and of those that do would struggle to earn a starting position. Iolani doesn't have cuts. KS Maui is a bad d2 team this year. They stopped iolani for most of the first quarter until they got gassed and started making mistakes and turnovers. They had zero offense, KS Maui that is.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

oldnite wrote:
gopunahou wrote:

You obviously didn't see the game tonight. Iolani does have some big boys on both sides of the line but they wouldn't be starters at any of the other top ranked d1 teams. Large does not equal talented college prospects. Half the team wouldn't make the cut at the big schools and of those that do would struggle to earn a starting position. Iolani doesn't have cuts. KS Maui is a bad d2 team this year. They stopped iolani for most of the first quarter until they got gassed and started making mistakes and turnovers. They had zero offense, KS Maui that is.
Maybe, but could it be that their best players are skill players? I think those are the guys they covet the most. You can still pack a punch at 5-5, 130 lbs (at skill positions that is). Iolani might do better against the Big 3 than we did when we played St. Louis and Kamehameha between 2000-2004. Iolani belongs in D1 and that's a fact, Jack!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Glad to see Kealakehe finally win a game against a decent team. Kealakehe looks like a team that could challenge Hilo this season.