unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by gopunahou »

These last couple of posts belong in the thread that debates where Iolani belongs, but let me add one more thing: if Iolani were to play a schedule full of weak teams, their chances of winning state championships at the D2 level wouldn't be as good as they were between 2003 and 2014. To a lot of people, playing the Big 3 prepared them for state tournament play and might've given them the confidence to take on the best in D2.

The only time Iolani's ever belonged in D2 was between 2005 and 2007. If you think their 2008-2010 teams (all of which could've easily finished 2nd in the entire ILH) were true D2 teams, you are kidding yourselves. And as of now, Iolani hasn't suffered significant injuries playing the Big 3.

So let me ask you, DA SCOUT. If there were an all-Oahu conference (a pipe dream), where would Iolani belong? In a tier with teams like Damien, Pac-Five, St. Francis, Kalani, Waialua, and Anuenue, or a tier with teams like Castle, Kailua, Aiea, Radford, Waipahu, and Radford? The floor is yours.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

DA SCOUT
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by DA SCOUT »

Tier with castle Kailua etc teams like that will never play for a D1 title either so what's your you are tired of Iolani winning D2 titles and representing the ILH or they can go back to one ILH and have 2 representatives enter the states and probably play each other 9 times out of ten for the title anyway. They just don't have the numbers to compete against the big three year in year out Kam ,stl and puns are suiting 70 strong year in year out

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

DA SCOUT, I don't hate Iolani, just the people that think they belong in tier 3. Besides, Punahou fields a team with only about 13 more players than Iolani does this year. And there are also safety concerns when Iolani takes on the "little 3".

If Iolani can make every year like it was between 2008-2010, they can hold their own against the Big 3. I honestly feel bad for the Iolani players who DO relish the chance to play against the best.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

leadership wrote:What you got to say now Mauiguy....Getreal?? Hahahaha, got the last laugh. We are just getting started as Coach Dan said, "he wouldn't want to play us"
I'd like to say congratulations to your team for a great win. They deserve it! As kauwildman stated, you still haven't learned humility. Great job by your team...I also think you stated that you're the best team on the big Island...what's your record?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Leadership- Good win for KS-Hawaii. You're still one game back and that's huge for playoff seating's and home field. I believe Josh Pacheco put it the best, konawaena won on the stat sheet but lost big on turnovers. I counted five trips into the red-zone with no points, and a huge turnover inside the five which gave KS the first score. Overall a big victory for KS-Hawaii but I would be concerned about having to run Batacan 40 times a game because you are trying to minimize mistakes in the passing game, which by the way using your own words, Kona should've had two pick six's in the first half on terrible throws....thus Batacan running 40 times.

And FTR, Coach Dan isn't calling the offensive plays this year, that's why they're having success! Maybe if he gave that up last year, oh well we will never know.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Getreal$ wrote:Leadership- Good win for KS-Hawaii. You're still one game back and that's huge for playoff seating's and home field. I believe Josh Pacheco put it the best, konawaena won on the stat sheet but lost big on turnovers. I counted five trips into the red-zone with no points, and a huge turnover inside the five which gave KS the first score. Overall a big victory for KS-Hawaii but I would be concerned about having to run Batacan 40 times a game because you are trying to minimize mistakes in the passing game, which by the way using your own words, Kona should've had two pick six's in the first half on terrible throws....thus Batacan running 40 times.

And FTR, Coach Dan isn't calling the offensive plays this year, that's why they're having success! Maybe if he gave that up last year, oh well we will never know.
How can Batacan be running the ball 40 times/game when KSH is supposed to have the best air attack on the island (according to you know who)? Either I'm confused or leadership doesn't know what he's talking about...

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Young buck just going along with whatever works during the week. Their passing game is mediocre at best against better teams, 0 yards 2 Int. against Hilo. If they're forced to go to the air, they are in big trouble. Their strength is their OL and Batacan running the ball, not the passing game.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

He must be delusional or something. He comes on here touting their passing attack, blaming their OC for not letting them air-it-out, then their running back (who seems to be really good) gets 40 touches. Not sure where he's going with this, but he always seems to be right...just ask him!

bran7958
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bran7958 »

Damien didn't even attempt one field goal. ..it was Pac5 that tried to score on field goals. ...Shawn Borges just blocked them all! Monarchs 6 points came on a option keeper by B. Apao. Fyi

bran7958
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bran7958 »

DA SCOUT wrote:Decided to go early to watch the battle of the unbeatens and got to watch an exciting for both games. Was very impressed with the excitement of both games. But I have to tip my hat off to Shawn Borges and the Damien defense ! They are little but they swarm their corners are lights out and that little D end they have is a handful. I can see them stumbling if they make it to the play offs , because their offense is horrible not to say the players because they have some nice looking skilled players it's just the the whole scheme looks very pop warnerish for an ILH program jmo don't know who's calling the plays but he is pretty bad ! Hopefully coach Klaneski is addressing this problem because he probably can taste a title

bran7958
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bran7958 »

Glad you addressed the root cause of Damiens unsuccessful offense vs Pac5. Not the players or their skill level, it was the coaching and play calling. I'm pretty close with this team and I definitely take my hat off to the defense. ..those boys battled hard to keep Damien in the game and I'll actually give them credit for the win but the offense in my opinion got treated like the "red headed step child" for some reason. I didn't see one coach approach the offense after how many 3 and outs to boost any type of confidence they had left. They were obviously down on themselves and frustrated. ..I was too after noticing no adjustments were being made! Nonetheless as a team, they deserve the 5-0 record they currently have and I'm proud of them all.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

BIIF update as playoffs approach.

DI- Hilo High is peaking at the right time and I don't see anyone challenging them at this point. Kealakehe may pose problems with the running game, but that's the problem, Hilo can pass and run and their defense is getting back to where they were the previous two years. Head Coach and DC Kaeo Drummondo is doing a great job leading this team in place of Baldwin.

DII - Obviously Konawaena and Kamehameha Hawaii should face each other for the championship. If both win out, it would be Kona facing Honokaa and KSH facing HPA on consecutive weekends leading up to the championship. Barring an upset in the first round, KSH would travel to Konawaena for the championship. My question this year is how those KSH kids will play on grass this season. Last year all three of their losses came on grass. Only two of their games were played on grass so far here on the Island, one a loss to Kealakehe and the second a close win against a terrible Waiakea team. Historically, Batacan has struggled on grass slipping while making cuts and that may force them to the air, while Kona's Kelekolio has thrived running in the mud. The next three weeks will be exciting in DII, as the competition is a lot closer than DI.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

I'm calling it here: I see Kaimuki sneaking into the White final game. They'll win out the rest of their regular season and shock Nanakuli in the semis to advance to the final and states. Kaimuki has the talent this season and, according to a source within the team, the coaches have finally figured out how to use it.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

bran7958,

It was the battle of the field goals for Damien. Yah,Damien got six,but ,if not for Borges defensive blocks,Pac-Five could have won 9-6. If Borges had missed one block attempt,it could have gone to OT...you might as well flip a coin there...who knows which team would have won.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

On anoddah note, Konawaena has a better record than Kamehameha-Hawaii ,and unless Kamehameha-Hawaii beats Konawaena a second time this year,Konawaena would be in the playoffs ,not the Warriors. Let's see what happens.