unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by MauiGuy »

Was it sheer frustration or perhaps some official's calls that caused the Coaches to lose control?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

MauiGuy wrote:Was it sheer frustration or perhaps some official's calls that caused the Coaches to lose control?
If you ask my opinion as far as the calls went, Konawaena had two TD's called off as incomplete passes that were clearly catches and on the KSH side, one of their scores should not have counted because the player was down two yards short of the goal line. So I don't think it was anger or frustration towards the refs at all. It was obviously directed at the Konawaena sideline and coaches. Approximately eight KSH kids walked to the middle of the field and continued to call out the Kona kids, this after all attempts to control players and coaches failed. That's when the Ref called the game.

The officiating really didn't factor in the game because the competitive part of the game was over in the third quarter and it was obvious Kona was the better prepared team. I don't want this to seem like I'm a Kona fan or alumni, because I'm not, not even close. I picked KS Hawaii last year and the year before to win the BIIF, and I just enjoy good competitive games and good sportsmanship.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Has anyone besides the 2013 Kaiser team dominated the OIA White as thoroughly as Radford has this year?

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Getreal$ wrote:
MauiGuy wrote:Was it sheer frustration or perhaps some official's calls that caused the Coaches to lose control?
If you ask my opinion as far as the calls went, Konawaena had two TD's called off as incomplete passes that were clearly catches and on the KSH side, one of their scores should not have counted because the player was down two yards short of the goal line. So I don't think it was anger or frustration towards the refs at all. It was obviously directed at the Konawaena sideline and coaches. Approximately eight KSH kids walked to the middle of the field and continued to call out the Kona kids, this after all attempts to control players and coaches failed. That's when the Ref called the game.

The officiating really didn't factor in the game because the competitive part of the game was over in the third quarter and it was obvious Kona was the better prepared team. I don't want this to seem like I'm a Kona fan or alumni, because I'm not, not even close. I picked KS Hawaii last year and the year before to win the BIIF, and I just enjoy good competitive games and good sportsmanship.
Mahalo, Getreal$, for the info. Too bad KSH didn't handle that with more discipline and class. I'm sure it was just frustrating for them to see their season slipping away because I'll bet that they're all good kids who know right from wrong. Hopefully, their Admin. will review this with the coach come evaluation time and set him straight (whatever that may be). Damage control is always a slippery slope when it comes to youth athletics.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Championship picks for OIA and MIL,

OIA White. Radford vs. Kaimuki,

Disclaimer,I am a Radford alum ,so take it for what it's worth. Radford is deeper than Kaimuki. Of course,Nanakuli was also deeper than Kaimuki ...and we know how that that turned out.Coach T has done wonders with the Bulldog program. Coach Salanoa has brought back some measure of respect to a Ram program that had not seen many bright days since Coach John Velasco.

Kaimuki,if they can keep it close through the first three quarters,could have a chance to win. It seems to me ,especially in the Waialua game ,that Radford tends to shut down it's aerial game in favor of letting Ace Faumui and Kodi-Ongory-Mathias pound the rock if the opponent hangs through 3 qtrs. The problem for Kaimuki is that,Radford has two runners who are just as good as Masima is for Kaimuki. Faumui is a 1,000 plus rusher and Ongory-Mathias is approaching 700 yards. If the Rams continue to pound the rock,which is something they really haven't done since my day's at Salt Lake back in the 60's when you had Bernard Rembert rushing for over 1,450 yards in a season,then I think Radford will wear down the Bulldogs. The Ram defense gets the edge.Kaimuki,though,is on a roll. Rams have been rolling all season. Going with Radford.

Lahainaluna and Kamehameha-Maui. The Warriors started strong,and have faltered . Lunas took it on the chin early and now seem to be profiting in experience from all those frosh-soph mistakes to take the MIL D-II second round. Going with Lahainaluna.

bran7958
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bran7958 »

As good and far as Damien has come this season, we still have yet to see what they can do as a complete healthy team. If they show up with that in states, I think they got a shot taking the whole thing! Monarchs!

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

bran7958 wrote:As good and far as Damien has come this season, we still have yet to see what they can do as a complete healthy team. If they show up with that in states, I think they got a shot taking the whole thing! Monarchs!
Are you serious? I know Apao has been out but they haven't really had much injuries all year. They are so hard to judge cause they fizzled a little down the stretch. The really don't have a signature win on their resume that you can really call them a legit contender. Who ever they draw in the state tournament will be a huge test for them.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

University Ave wrote:
bran7958 wrote:As good and far as Damien has come this season, we still have yet to see what they can do as a complete healthy team. If they show up with that in states, I think they got a shot taking the whole thing! Monarchs!
Are you serious? I know Apao has been out but they haven't really had much injuries all year. They are so hard to judge cause they fizzled a little down the stretch. The really don't have a signature win on their resume that you can really call them a legit contender. Who ever they draw in the state tournament will be a huge test for them.
Rumor has it Konawaena will play Damien. It will be an interesting game but Konawaena will test them that's for sure. The interesting part of this matchup is the style of offense Damien runs and if Konawaena can play responsibility and disciplined defense for four quarters. Kona's offense is well rounded but they are young at certain positions and they do make mistakes while trying to make things happen, but their coaching staff has done a great job of minimizing those mistakes to where it only affected them in one game this year. Can't wait to watch this game.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

I don't know much about Konawaena other than they've been ranked all year. If they do play Damien, that should be a good one. Kona put up some big numbers offensively and it will be interesting to see if Damien can slow them down. Kona actually one of the top offenses in the state and Klaneski has to find a game plan for them.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

One question: does anyone think this Radford team is more dominant than the 2013 Kaiser team?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Saturday thoughts,

Radford came out with some new wrinkles on offense with Manabe doing some new things at QB/wildcat. Still,the backbone for the Rams was the solid defense and ground attack. Kudos to Radford and Kaimuki...rep the OIA well at states!

gopunahou,

The jury is still out on Kaiser 2013 and Radford 2015. Unlike 2013,these two teams are in different divisions this year. Both teams could run and pass and had decent .although not elite D-I level defense. I would say that you would have to see if Radford comes home with the state championship this year before a real comparison could be made.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

I think Kaiser 2013 and Radford 2015 are drastically different. Kaiser was a solid team. Defensively, they were loaded with talent and nothing can beat a defense coached by Soliai. They had athletes in the secondary, stud linebackers and a very good defensive line. Radford definitely has some holes in the secondary...let's put it this way, no way that Kaiser team gives up points to the Kaimuki team we seen last night.

Offensively, they're similar in that both teams are run oreiented. Kaiser's offensive line was solid. Good set of running backs and Karratti was a better pass threat than Iriarte. Radford has some skilled players in Manabe and Reid, but they haven't panned out to be consistent threats.

The big difference is special teams. With a game breaker like Leong and the amount of emphasis Miano put into this group, it separates Kaiser even more. I don't think it's close.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Week 13,

1.Kapaa 8-0
2.Radford 11-0
3.Konawaena 10-1
4.Damien 6-1
5.Kamehameha-Hawaii 9-3
6.Kaimuki 7-4 Drop one spot after loss to Radford
7.Nanakuli 7-3
8.Pac-Five 3-3
9.Lahainaluna 6-5 Move up one after winning MIL D-II title.
10.Waialua 5-5

Read option
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Read option »

unpaid wrote:Week 13,

1.Kapaa 8-0
2.Radford 11-0
3.Konawaena 10-1
4.Damien 6-1
5.Kamehameha-Hawaii 9-3
6.Kaimuki 7-4 Drop one spot after loss to Radford
7.Nanakuli 7-3
8.Pac-Five 3-3
9.Lahainaluna 6-5 Move up one after winning MIL D-II title.
10.Waialua 5-5

I agree with your rankings and Believe Damien got hosed by the HHSAA. Damien at 6-1 the ILH Champion should be the 4th seed in the D2 Tournament instead They gave Lahainaluna who at 6-5 is the 4th seed. Now Damien is the 5th seed an must go on the road to play 3 seed Konawaena with the winner playing Radford at Roosevelt on Nov. 14th. Damien deserved the 4th seed an Hosting a game. While Lahainluna Hosts on their brand new Field. I think it came down too Damien don't have a home field and Lahaina does.

kauwildman
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kauwildman »

Difficult to justify seeding Lahainaluna over Damien.