unpaid D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid D-II football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

unpaid wrote:What is a teams full strength?

It is the kids who show up every day and the sum total of their talent and will.

They are the kids who understand they don't get to play football if they don't have the grades.

Here is the nasty part that parents get....kids are known by their behavior. If your kid is not trying to be the best they can be in the classroom, then they are also not trying to be the best they can be on the gridiron.

There is a reason why Coach Watson was talking about the kids who made the commitment to be there for the team by being academically eligible.
@unpaid: Agree. Those kids on 2.00 probation need to get their acts together.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
gopunahou wrote:
unpaid wrote:Week One,

1.Kapaa 1-0 Beat Nanakuli.Warrior offense showed signs of promise. No.3 Lahainaluna next.
2.Kamehameha-Hawaii 1-0 Young Warrior team that grew up fast last night against Kalaheo.
3.Lahainaluna 1-0 Pounded Keaau. No.1 Kapaa next.
4.Radford 0-0 Did not play. Open season against Anuenue next weekend.
5.Nanakuli 0-1 Just received wake-up call.
6.Damien 1-0 Beat Aiea. No.10 Kauai next.
7.Konawaena 0-0 DNP. Open season against No.8 St.Francis next.
8.St.Francis 1-0 62-0 shutout over Anuenue.
9.Pac-Five 1-0 Edge Kalani 16-14
10.Kauai 0-0 DNP. Open season against No.6 Damien next.

Kalaheo,Honokaa dropped out with opening game losses.Kalaheo could fix some things and work their way back in to the top ten.

Kapaa has some answers on offense to go with that D of theirs.Lahainaluna looks like they will put Warrior D under a stress test next week,though.

It will be interesting to see what St.Francis does against Konawaena next weekend .I guess the word is the Saints have a pretty good team this year.
Many have said their best players are sophomores. Most of them were the biggest reason St. Francis dominated the intermediate level these past two years. Let's hope they aren't as dominant as Iolani was :D :D :D
@gopunahou: It's amazing how far things have come. Just a decade or so ago, St Francis was an all-girls' school. Now, not only does St Francis have boys, they have a football team, and one that might become dominant. I suspect that St Francis will be ILH D2 champs. But when you've been around as long as I have, it's surreal to see St Francis--formerly an all-girls' school--this way.
I think their commitment is something you've got to admire. Word of Life had a similar commitment and seemed to be on the rise before that school shut down. I kind of wish WOLA were still in operation and fielded a football team. It'd give the ILH 4 D2 teams and keep Iolani at the D1 level. :D :D :D

But with St. Francis, they may see a D2 title within the next three years since they've got a strong sophomore class.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@gopunahou: I think St Francis might see a D2 title this year, if they can get past Damien.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

It is the kids who show up every day and the sum total of their talent and will.

They are the kids who understand they don't get to play football if they don't have the grades.

Here is the nasty part that parents get....kids are known by their behavior. If your kid is not trying to be the best they can be in the classroom, then they are also not trying to be the best they can be on the gridiron.

There is a reason why Coach Watson was talking about the kids who made the commitment to be there for the team by being academically eligible.
I agree and I'm there cchecking out their practices so you'll have to excuse me when I say I know more about this team than you. Just saying. I could even name some kids who was out and believe me they hear it when it comes to being responsible and being held accountable. When i say full strength im talking about all their players (starters) playing like in the waiane scrimmage. You can ask around on how that scrimmage went. Waianae fans were quiet and saying things like "Brah, how da hell we losing to a D2 team?" That kine full strength. I went to Waianae and I follow both teams cause I support our west side. Plus I live Nanakuli by the school..lol
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naue wrote:

I agree and I'm there cchecking out their practices so you'll have to excuse me when I say I know more about this team than you. Just saying. I could even name some kids who was out and believe me they hear it when it comes to being responsible and being held accountable. When i say full strength im talking about all their players (starters) playing like in the waiane scrimmage. You can ask around on how that scrimmage went. Waianae fans were quiet and saying things like "Brah, how da hell we losing to a D2 team?" That kine full strength. I went to Waianae and I follow both teams cause I support our west side. Plus I live Nanakuli by the school..lol
@Naue: You mean Nanakuli beat Waianae in the scrimmage? If that's the case, I think Waianae needs to start getting concerned. It's one thing to lose to Iolani (scrimmage) and Kamehameha (preseason); those two are D1 teams, and both are ranked. But to lose to D2 Nanakuli, even in a scrimmage?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

Hard head kids....parents letting their kids do whatever. Some things never change. I can see that Keala is trying to change the culture but hard when the parents aren't of any help.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naue wrote:

Hard head kids....parents letting their kids do whatever. Some things never change. I can see that Keala is trying to change the culture but hard when the parents aren't of any help.
@Naue: Well, those parents of the Nanakuli players on 2.00 probation need to get with it, don't they? I have to believe that at least some of those parents are conscientious, but the rest need to step-up.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

Naue wrote:

@Naue: You mean Nanakuli beat Waianae in the scrimmage? If that's the case, I think Waianae needs to start getting concerned. It's one thing to lose to Iolani (scrimmage) and Kamehameha (preseason); those two are D1 teams, and both are ranked. But to lose to D2 Nanakuli, even in a scrimmage?
What does D2 mean? Size of the schools enrollment? Past seasons not doing too good? Low numbers = less quality players. D2 is the school ,not so much the kids ,because when a program is being turned around and brought out of the gutters like nanakuli's then the kids will start coming out. They have about 50-55 players. That's pretty awesome except for the hard heads who screwed up their pre season game..lol I like it because things are changing in Nanakuli. The support is awesome and the buzz around the countryside is Nanakuli is looking good...well, when their at full strength at least. Lol

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Naue: Well, certainly Nanakuli's turnout is good. 50-55 players; that's more than some D1 schools have.
That's a good question: "What does D2 mean?" I think you have to go by past seasons. You can't go by enrollment, because some schools with small enrollments still have good teams. Nor, I think, can you go by turnout, as some schools with large enrollments still get low turnouts.

kawai60
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kawai60 »

I just heard from my brother who plays on nanakuli. That the 20 players on academic probation have passed grade check. And will be suited and eligible to play against kalaheo this week.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

Good to hear. I hope they keep it that way. I thought my neighbor told me it was next week but its good to see the boys getting it together.

leadership
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by leadership »

KS Hawaii is the team to beat in DII and should be ranked #1. Their QB, Kamakana Pagan ran circles over the Kalaheo D and Batacan ran over and through them too. They going run over everyone in the BIIF in DI and DII, and then watch them in the state playoffs. With Pagan at QB, they can't be stopped, mark my words.

KidDynamite
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by KidDynamite »

leadership wrote:KS Hawaii is the team to beat in DII and should be ranked #1. Their QB, Kamakana Pagan ran circles over the Kalaheo D and Batacan ran over and through them too. They going run over everyone in the BIIF in DI and DII, and then watch them in the state playoffs. With Pagan at QB, they can't be stopped, mark my words.
ks hawaii 7
lahainaluna 52
'14 playoffs

leadership
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by leadership »

KidDynamite wrote:
leadership wrote:KS Hawaii is the team to beat in DII and should be ranked #1. Their QB, Kamakana Pagan ran circles over the Kalaheo D and Batacan ran over and through them too. They going run over everyone in the BIIF in DI and DII, and then watch them in the state playoffs. With Pagan at QB, they can't be stopped, mark my words.
ks hawaii 7
lahainaluna 52
'14 playoffs
Not the same team, better and more skilled players this year. Even Coach Lyons said this years team is better than last year. Not the same Lahainaluna team too. You watch, QB better this year and OL beast.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

leadership wrote:
KidDynamite wrote:
ks hawaii 7
lahainaluna 52
'14 playoffs
Not the same team, better and more skilled players this year. Even Coach Lyons said this years team is better than last year. Not the same Lahainaluna team too. You watch, QB better this year and OL beast.
Leardership-I'm not going to debate your "Opinion" but until they win the BIIF and get out of the first round, don't compare them to last year. As for your "QB better this year" I' would wait until he proves himself. Last years QB was the Off POY with 26 pass TD, 6 Rush TD and 1960 yards passing. He also was their three year starter......so don't make these statements after one game. And didn't he get hurt and played only two Qtrs on Sat?