unpaid pre-season D-I football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: unpaid pre-season D-I football

Post by rrforlifebaby »

gridiron22 wrote:I was watching the scoringlive 16 in 16 videos and I think its ridiculous hearing every school talk about a new player or players that transferred in. St. Louis's segment posted today takes the cake as if they are in the middle of NFL free agency and hearing players coming from Kauai, Big Island, Maui...smh!
Old news for the Crusaders, they've been doing it for decades. But they are a private school, so nothing to it shouldn't bother anyone

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

backyard ballaz wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
backyard ballaz wrote:Here's my Top 10 as we head into week one:

1. Mililani
2. Punahou
3. Kahuku
4. Kamehameha
5. Farrington
6. St Louis
7. Campbell
8. Leilehua
9. Kaiser
10. Hilo
@backyard ballaz: You have St Louis at #6? That low? I'm assuming that the Star-Advertiser will announce them tomorrow at #2. Can Farrington beat St Louis?

Yea, I believe that low at this point in the season. If you did an on paper ranking, St Louis would be right up there with Mililani as the Star Advertiser voters probably based rankings off of. After scrimmages, it's pretty evident St Louis has their share of problems. OL is suddenly an issue. RB was always an issue. WR depth had to be a projected problem...they have no slots, which is the staple of Ron's offense.

Cal's strength is obviously not calling the defense - it's recruiting. He has proven it again this year as was the case many years ago. He gets talent to the campus. Assembling the talent and coaching it up is an entirely different issue. If you want to judge pure defensive coordinator ability, go back to when Cal was at Kalani (he gave up points). Having Div 1 caliber players on paper is great but really, other than Ron, Cal missed the boat on recruiting in a coaching staff.
@backyard ballaz:

1. The O-line is a problem only because of injuries, right? So, I'm assuming it's a question of when those first-string O-linemen heal-up.
2, RB is usually an issue at St Louis because they usually throw the ball. But, Silofau is, I think, a blue-chip RB. In the ILH, I think he's second only to Punahou's Taulapapa. I don't know how deep St Louis is at RB, but Silofau is about as good as any in the ILH.
3. All of the above is to say that the Star-Advertiser must have St Louis ranked as high as #2, for a reason.

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by saintlouisontop »

Saint Louis Crusaders hope the injury bug doesn't get them this year. They are loaded with talent Jahvin Spear if healthy might be the best slot back in Highschool. Jon Jon Manalo if he can hold on to the ball this year could be a top running back in Hawaii. Vae type talent. Nate herbage Aaron Miller tytus timoteo all 6 feet 280+ thats a lot of meat on the Oline. Tua looking well but what happens if he gets hurt ? Does Saint Louis have a back up ? scary thought. The Saint Louis Dline looks like the best in the state this year. very underrated

#LouGang
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by #LouGang »

@backyard ballaz: You have St Louis at #6? That low? I'm assuming that the Star-Advertiser will announce them tomorrow at #2. Can Farrington beat St Louis?[/quote]

Yea, I believe that low at this point in the season. If you did an on paper ranking, St Louis would be right up there with Mililani as the Star Advertiser voters probably based rankings off of. After scrimmages, it's pretty evident St Louis has their share of problems. OL is suddenly an issue. RB was always an issue. WR depth had to be a projected problem...they have no slots, which is the staple of Ron's offense.

Cal's strength is obviously not calling the defense - it's recruiting. He has proven it again this year as was the case many years ago. He gets talent to the campus. Assembling the talent and coaching it up is an entirely different issue. If you want to judge pure defensive coordinator ability, go back to when Cal was at Kalani (he gave up points). Having Div 1 caliber players on paper is great but really, other than Ron, Cal missed the boat on recruiting in a coaching staff.[/quote]

@backyard ballaz:

1. The O-line is a problem only because of injuries, right? So, I'm assuming it's a question of when those first-string O-linemen heal-up.
2, RB is usually an issue at St Louis because they usually throw the ball. But, Silofau is, I think, a blue-chip RB. In the ILH, I think he's second only to Punahou's Taulapapa. I don't know how deep St Louis is at RB, but Silofau is about as good as any in the ILH.
3. All of the above is to say that the Star-Advertiser must have St Louis ranked as high as #2, for a reason.[/quote]

WR depth shouldn't be an issue got some good quality transfer players one from Maui the other from Kaua'i. Slotbacks too got some good young players just a little experienced. Just gotta let em build their chemistry with Tua.

saintlouisontop
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by saintlouisontop »

Saint Louis By far should handle every game this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

saintlouisontop wrote:Saint Louis Crusaders hope the injury bug doesn't get them this year. They are loaded with talent Jahvin Spear if healthy might be the best slot back in Highschool. Jon Jon Manalo if he can hold on to the ball this year could be a top running back in Hawaii. Vae type talent. Nate herbage Aaron Miller tytus timoteo all 6 feet 280+ thats a lot of meat on the Oline. Tua looking well but what happens if he gets hurt ? Does Saint Louis have a back up ? scary thought. The Saint Louis Dline looks like the best in the state this year. very underrated
@saintlouisontop:
1. Who's Manalo? Did he play last year? I don't recall hearing much about him. I do recall hearing a lot about Silofau. If this Manalo is as good as you say he is, he and Silofau will give St Louis one heck of a running game, perhaps one just about as good as Punahou's.
2. I'm assuming that St Louis has capable QBs behind Tagovailoa. For many years, St Louis has been considered a QB factory. I can't imagine St Louis being thin at QB. Are they thin this year?
3. I understand that Kamehameha's strength is its D-line, with several returnees from last year. I haven't heard much about St Louis' D-line (not to be confused with its LBs, whom I think are the best in the state). Is that because they're underrated? Is St Louis' D-line better than Kamehameha's D-line?

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

saintlouisontop wrote:Saint Louis Crusaders hope the injury bug doesn't get them this year. They are loaded with talent Jahvin Spear if healthy might be the best slot back in Highschool. Jon Jon Manalo if he can hold on to the ball this year could be a top running back in Hawaii. Vae type talent. Nate herbage Aaron Miller tytus timoteo all 6 feet 280+ thats a lot of meat on the Oline. Tua looking well but what happens if he gets hurt ? Does Saint Louis have a back up ? scary thought. The Saint Louis Dline looks like the best in the state this year. very underrated
@saintlouisontop:
1. Who's Manalo? Did he play last year? I don't recall hearing much about him. I do recall hearing a lot about Silofau. If this Manalo is as good as you say he is, he and Silofau will give St Louis one heck of a running game, perhaps one just about as good as Punahou's.
2. I'm assuming that St Louis has capable QBs behind Tagovailoa. For many years, St Louis has been considered a QB factory. I can't imagine St Louis being thin at QB. Are they thin this year?
3. I understand that Kamehameha's strength is its D-line, with several returnees from last year. I haven't heard much about St Louis' D-line (not to be confused with its LBs, whom I think are the best in the state). Is that because they're underrated? Is St Louis' D-line better than Kamehameha's D-line?
1. Manalo must be a good blocker. I'll leave it at that.
2. The back-up QBs are very limited talent-wise. They didn't look entirely inept against Kapolei, especially with the second and third team wideouts they had to work with, but they aren't very good.
3. Kamehameha's D-line is definitely better.

Don't get me wrong though, I believe Saint Louis has a puncher's chance this year. Unlike many on these boards, I think Tagovailoa is the best QB in the state (one of the best ever) and Saint Louis could ride his coattails to a championship. But his supporting cast on offense is MUCH worse than last year and the second-string WRs, SBs and RBs are the worse I've ever seen at Saint Louis.

They'll be far more athletic defensively, but they are also very young. I'm not sure why everyone was calling last year's defense young- they had a lot of seniors. I guess it was just a euphemism for terrible.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Heard Hilo High coach Baldwin removed.

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

I hope none of these St. Louis backers are tough guys who guarantee wins in every game and threaten anyone that disagrees with them. Confidence is one thing, cockiness and hostility is another.

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

backyard ballaz wrote:Yea, I believe that low at this point in the season. If you did an on paper ranking, St Louis would be right up there with Mililani as the Star Advertiser voters probably based rankings off of. After scrimmages, it's pretty evident St Louis has their share of problems. OL is suddenly an issue. RB was always an issue. WR depth had to be a projected problem...they have no slots, which is the staple of Ron's offense.

Cal's strength is obviously not calling the defense - it's recruiting. He has proven it again this year as was the case many years ago. He gets talent to the campus. Assembling the talent and coaching it up is an entirely different issue. If you want to judge pure defensive coordinator ability, go back to when Cal was at Kalani (he gave up points). Having Div 1 caliber players on paper is great but really, other than Ron, Cal missed the boat on recruiting in a coaching staff.
That might be true of Cal, but it could also be that he was once great and has lost his mojo (like Norm Chow). The man sounded senile when he discussed Iolani moving to D1. He said they only had one or two D1 prospects year in year out. Did he forget about the last couple of Iolani teams his squad played against before 2014? There were at least five. And plus, the talent is there at St. Louis to do great things, but it remains to be seen if they can.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

saynotomercs wrote:
@saintlouisontop:
1. Manalo must be a good blocker. I'll leave it at that.
2. The back-up QBs are very limited talent-wise. They didn't look entirely inept against Kapolei, especially with the second and third team wideouts they had to work with, but they aren't very good.
3. Kamehameha's D-line is definitely better.

Don't get me wrong though, I believe Saint Louis has a puncher's chance this year. Unlike many on these boards, I think Tagovailoa is the best QB in the state (one of the best ever) and Saint Louis could ride his coattails to a championship. But his supporting cast on offense is MUCH worse than last year and the second-string WRs, SBs and RBs are the worse I've ever seen at Saint Louis.

They'll be far more athletic defensively, but they are also very young. I'm not sure why everyone was calling last year's defense young- they had a lot of seniors. I guess it was just a euphemism for terrible.
@saynotomercs: You paint a very bleak picture of what is supposed to be the #2 team in the state. I'm not trying to get on your case or anything; I'm not a St Louis alumnus. It's just that it's hard to believe that St Louis is as bad as you say. I guess we'll find-out, after tomorrrow night's "scrimmage" between St Louis and Mililani. (I think it's really a pre-season game that's trying to pretend it's a scrimmage).
No question that Tagovailoa is a great QB, but I still have him at #2 behind Mililani's Milton, the reason being that I think Milton is a better runner. Last year, there were one or two games in which Milton had more rushing yards than team-mate Malepeai, and Malepeai was the best RB in the state.
OK, so St Louis' backup receivers and RBs aren't that good. But, they still have formidable starters: Kobayashi at WR, and Silofau at RB. Unless they get hurt, they'll be on the field for as long as necessary, doing their damage and oppressing the opposing team.
Another thought comes to mind: With Kobayashi being as good as he is, how many teams have DBs good enough to cover him?

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Is Kahuku THAT good or is Campbell THAT bad? Yes, this is a preseason game, but losing as bad as Campbell is can do season-long damage to a team's psyche.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

gopunahou wrote:Is Kahuku THAT good or is Campbell THAT bad? Yes, this is a preseason game, but losing as bad as Campbell is can do season-long damage to a team's psyche.

I was thinking the same thing! But I think it's more Campbell being really bad then Kahuku being that good.

Hilorains
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hilorains »

Getreal$ wrote:Heard Hilo High coach Baldwin removed.
What happend? Is there a new coach???

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Not sure what happened but word is he was placed on indefinite leave. Can't be good if the DOE puts you on leave. As for a new coach? All I know is his assistant coaches are still there.