unpaid pre-season D-II football

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: unpaid pre-season D-II football

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

gopunahou wrote:
politclyincrekt wrote:I think that there's too much pride at stake for it to be a viable option for the Monarchs, but Damien joining Pac-5 would make more an interesting dynamic in the Division II. Or even some public schools joining Pac-5 for football would be interesting too (I'm looking at you, Roosevelt).
Pride can only do so much to keep Damien from going 8-man or joining Pac-Five. With girls now attending that school, Damien's chances of fielding a team with as many players as Iolani can are slim and none. The numbers have dropped since the beginning of the decade. And because there are girls over there, Damien's teams in other sports (basketball, volleyball, and baseball) aren't playing the likes of St. Louis, Punahou, Kamehameha, and Iolani.
@gopunahou: I don't see Damien going eight-man or joining Pac-Five. I don't think admitting girls to the school, will hurt Damien's football team. Remember, Iolani didn't admit girls to the school until 1980 or so, and I don't think Iolani's football team was hurt during the ensuing 34 years.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Update on the BIg Island scrimmage between DII Kalaheo and DI Waiakea. A little sloppy play to start off but Kalaheo settled down and managed 3 TD's to Waiakea's 1. Kalaheo doesnt look like a team ranked at the bottom of the entire state.....they don't have numbers but they do have a few good players like #8 and #11 and will probably give DII teams in their league all they can handle. Waiakea has size and talent but too many turnovers and a little bit of a discipline issue needs to be addressed, but nice scrimmage to kick off the season!!

Off to Hilo vs Konawaena now.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Getreal$,

Thanks for the scrimmage updates. It is interesting to know what is going on around the state.I feel like Kalaheo is going to surprise some opponents this season.

Really wondering about the size of Konawaena's squad for the Hilo scrimmage.Any idea how many players were out?
What do you think the roster size will be for the Wildcats this fall?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Konawaena had 20 players out for the scrimmage with at least five or six being young JV kids. Hilo kept a steady rotation of fresh players throughout the scrimmage which included about an hour or so of position one on one drills and lineman drills. Hilo with 50+ kids suited up was able to rotate 15 OL/DL against Kona's five going both ways, one got injured and was replaced by a skilled player. Once the scrimmage started, Kona moved the ball surprisingly well against Hilo. They drove down the field with a mix of passes and runs. Both teams scored just one time each, but Kona was in the red zone twice when their time ran out.

I'm not sure what their roster size would be to start the season but I did notice they were missing at least ten of their good skilled players and three were on the side with injuries.

Both teams have quarterbacks that can throw the ball and receivers with good size and hands. That will be the key this year in the BIIF. Just my unbiased opinion.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

Only seen Nanakuli scrimmage us but I can say that those Hawks are gonna be trouble for the OIA D2. Nasty defense and pretty solid passing game. Their team speed stands out. Good luck Hawks. DEFEND THE WEST
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by backyard ballaz »

With the season about to begin and a little more has been revealed about a few teams in scrimmages and transfers...here is my top 10:

1. Kapa'a - The return a good bunch from last seasons state semi-final team. They will probably end up being the top KIF team after a good race with Kauai.
2. Nanakuli - Tough and loaded with a bunch of weapons. The residual of JV championships will start bearing the fruit.
3. Radford - Offensively, if they can find the QB to sling it, they have a bunch of weapons to catch it. RB transfer makes them even more dangerous.
4. Lahainaluna - Regardless of how much the Lunas lost to graduation, a solid stable coaching staff has never failed producing good teams even when they're young.
5. Konawaena - Wildcats will have a mix of talent and lack of experience. If line play can improve, nobody in the BIIF can compare to their skilled positions.
6. St Francis - I think the chatter is low on the Saints because they haven't proven anything yet. Don't sleep on this team, I think they'll not only win games, but the ILH.
7. Kalaheo - Another team that many have forgotten just purely off of recent results. They have athletes and size to compete.
8. Kamehameha-Hawaii - A good run at states last season, but they lost key players. Finding a QB is the priority. Changing both coordinators is another challenge.
9. Kauai - They have two good running backs. I still think there's that feeling of where they got 2 years ago and they want that feeling back.
10. Pearl City - The Chargers have also lost a lot of key positions, but they seem to have made strides in Div 2 and are constantly knocking at the door.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naue wrote:Only seen Nanakuli scrimmage us but I can say that those Hawks are gonna be trouble for the OIA D2. Nasty defense and pretty solid passing game. Their team speed stands out. Good luck Hawks. DEFEND THE WEST
@Naue: Nanakuli is quick, and passes well? When you think of Nanakuli, you usually think of a big, lumbering, run-heavy team.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

backyard ballaz wrote:With the season about to begin and a little more has been revealed about a few teams in scrimmages and transfers...here is my top 10:

1. Kapa'a - The return a good bunch from last seasons state semi-final team. They will probably end up being the top KIF team after a good race with Kauai.
2. Nanakuli - Tough and loaded with a bunch of weapons. The residual of JV championships will start bearing the fruit.
3. Radford - Offensively, if they can find the QB to sling it, they have a bunch of weapons to catch it. RB transfer makes them even more dangerous.
4. Lahainaluna - Regardless of how much the Lunas lost to graduation, a solid stable coaching staff has never failed producing good teams even when they're young.
5. Konawaena - Wildcats will have a mix of talent and lack of experience. If line play can improve, nobody in the BIIF can compare to their skilled positions.
6. St Francis - I think the chatter is low on the Saints because they haven't proven anything yet. Don't sleep on this team, I think they'll not only win games, but the ILH.
7. Kalaheo - Another team that many have forgotten just purely off of recent results. They have athletes and size to compete.
8. Kamehameha-Hawaii - A good run at states last season, but they lost key players. Finding a QB is the priority. Changing both coordinators is another challenge.
9. Kauai - They have two good running backs. I still think there's that feeling of where they got 2 years ago and they want that feeling back.
10. Pearl City - The Chargers have also lost a lot of key positions, but they seem to have made strides in Div 2 and are constantly knocking at the door.
Awesome job "backyard ballaz" best and most realistic rankings I've seen to date. I believe this weekend and next weekend matchups will show where some of these teams belong. Of interest to me is the Kapaa/Nanakuli match up and Kalaheo/KS Hawaii.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

From what I saw, Nanakuli has speed at the receiver and secondary positions. I love their tenacity on the defensive front. My neighbors boy plays on that team and said they got hit hard by the academic probation with I think he said 5 or 6 starters out for the Kapa'a game. That might hurt them.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

Roosevelt put a hurting on McKinley...

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Naue wrote:Roosevelt put a hurting on McKinley...
@Naue: And, I think McKinley starts its regular season with Mililani. McKinley hasn't seen anything yet.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

I'm here at the Nanakuli/Kapa'a game and it seems like half of Nanakuli's team is on the sideline with gray shirts. I counted 27 in pads and over 20 kids in shirts. Academic bug hit them hard.