What REALLY happened with Alika Smith and Kalaheo

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

What REALLY happened with Alika Smith and Kalaheo

Post by twnoexcuses »

???

Something wrong when this Positive Coaching Alliance seminar is driving the bus in an individual program.

From what we hear, the money should probably be going toward REAL bus drivers for the kids instead of to people teach Priincipals how to write unenforceable contracts.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: What REALLY happened with Alika Smith and Kalaheo

Post by MauiGuy »

Sounds to me like the philosophical differences he cited were about him changing his approach to the players. His "old school" approach of hard-nosed, in-your-face coaching was in question with the administration. I don't know what could have triggered the 'contract', but I'll bet some parents may have approached admin to see if they could get him to tone it down. Too bad. He's enjoyed success there and after all, his father did put that program on the map. He'll land on his feet somewhere and build a good program.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

MauiGuy wrote:Sounds to me like the philosophical differences he cited were about him changing his approach to the players. His "old school" approach of hard-nosed, in-your-face coaching was in question with the administration. I don't know what could have triggered the 'contract', but I'll bet some parents may have approached admin to see if they could get him to tone it down. Too bad. He's enjoyed success there and after all, his father did put that program on the map. He'll land on his feet somewhere and build a good program.

One of the things that was completely missing was any indication of "respect" "for" Smith, his coaching style, or his discretion and judgment. It was a word processed choke collar leash.

Now, the Principal or AD can go coach. Don't yell, though. Make sure everything is fun, fun!

Guessing that one or the other will have to become the coach. Who in their right mind is going to walk into that mess?

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Basically forcing Alika Smith to quit will lead to Kalaheo dropping back down to DII. Then they can have all the fun they want without a coach yelling at them.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

twnoexcuses wrote:
MauiGuy wrote:Sounds to me like the philosophical differences he cited were about him changing his approach to the players. His "old school" approach of hard-nosed, in-your-face coaching was in question with the administration. I don't know what could have triggered the 'contract', but I'll bet some parents may have approached admin to see if they could get him to tone it down. Too bad. He's enjoyed success there and after all, his father did put that program on the map. He'll land on his feet somewhere and build a good program.

One of the things that was completely missing was any indication of "respect" "for" Smith, his coaching style, or his discretion and judgment. It was a word processed choke collar leash.

Now, the Principal or AD can go coach. Don't yell, though. Make sure everything is fun, fun!

Guessing that one or the other will have to become the coach. Who in their right mind is going to walk into that mess?
I agree. He's done so much to bring that program back to where it is. They should have tried to come to some middle ground without shoving the deal down his throat. I don't think this program will find another coach that is on par with Alika, and this type of success will be a long ways away.

chawan_cut
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by chawan_cut »

he'll be on 1420 this afternoon sometime to give his view. I think he'll take the high road and be PC in his answers.
Go Warriors! Go Na Wahine!

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Talk about deja vu and an amazing coincidence. Reminds me of what happened with Micah Kroeger (who played @ UH @ the same time as Alika) at Kamehameha. Only difference is he only lasted one year while Alika lasted five.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

My3Cats wrote:Basically forcing Alika Smith to quit will lead to Kalaheo dropping back down to DII. Then they can have all the fun they want without a coach yelling at them.
Or Kalaheo and Kailua will merge. Of course that might never happen since they've been talking about doing it for years and being that this is Hawaii, talking about it for years = never happening

My3Cats
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by My3Cats »

Neighbor wrote:
My3Cats wrote:Basically forcing Alika Smith to quit will lead to Kalaheo dropping back down to DII. Then they can have all the fun they want without a coach yelling at them.
Or Kalaheo and Kailua will merge. Of course that might never happen since they've been talking about doing it for years and being that this is Hawaii, talking about it for years = never happening
Aging population base has been happening in Windward Oahu and East Honolulu for years now with the more affordable homes out west and central, drawing the families with young kids. Kailua High used to be huge with 800+ per graduating class until Kalaheo opened. Now Kailua has classes of around 200 and Kalaheo probably less because it was always a smaller school. And yes, if people are talking about merging and closing Kalaheo it really won't happen in our lifetimes because this is Hawaii and the Hawaii State Government.
Cats don't have owners. Cats have servants.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Neighbor wrote:
I just happened to be scrolling down the index page, and saw this thread, and the above post.
I doubt that Kalaheo and Kailua will merge, and not so much because of State bureaucratic inertia. Each school has its alumni, and I think there's too much alumni pride to permit a merger. Kalaheo is smaller than Kailua, so it would be Kalaheo that would have to merge into Kailua. That would mean, of course, that Kalaheo would be closed. You think Kalaheo alumni would stand for that? No way, Jose. Closing a high-school is harder than pulling teeth, because the school's alumni will fiercely resist. Not only that; Kalaheo is as strong a rival of Kailua as is Castle. Therefore, Kalaheo alumni might find it even more unpalatable to see their alma mater absorbed by Kailua. Further, while Kalaheo has somewhat low enrollment, it's not low enough that there's any talk of closing it down. Last I heard, it's Nanakuli and Kaimuki whose enrollments have shrunk so much that rumors of their being closed eventually, have circulated. I've heard no such talk about Kalaheo. Meanwhile, Nanakuli and Kaimuki are still around, too. And obviously, Nanakuli alumni and Kaimuki alumni would also fiercely resist their respective alma maters being closed. When push comes to shove, folks rally 'round their alma mater.