Why does the OIA insist on starting FB earlier and earlier?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Why does the OIA insist on starting FB earlier and earlier?

Post by gopunahou »

Their first games are the weekend of August 14-15. Couldn't they've started the 21st and 22nd, or 28th and 29th? What is the rush? At this rate we'll be starting the season in JULY. This isn't that big of a deal to me but could be if player safety and lack of practice time becomes a concern because of these earlier start dates. Couldn't we hold the state championship games Thanksgiving weekend rather than the weekend before Thanksgiving?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Why does the OIA insist on starting FB earlier and earli

Post by Markeke »

In the old days Turkey Day championships were the bomb. Now the public schools actually starts last week in July, so adjustments had to be made. Disadvantage to ILH because OIA teams get some extra days to rest and recuperate prior to the States.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Markeke wrote:In the old days Turkey Day championships were the bomb. Now the public schools actually starts last week in July, so adjustments had to be made. Disadvantage to ILH because OIA teams get some extra days to rest and recuperate prior to the States.
Is that the main reason? Because school starts earlier for OIA schools than it did before? Couldn't they spend the weeks between the start of school and end of the third week practicing or scrimmaging? What difference does it make? If the season is to start when school starts for the OIA, might as well play the games in July.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

The real question is, does anyone like the fact that the season is starting earlier and earlier as we speak?

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

HighFlyer wrote:The real question is, does anyone like the fact that the season is starting earlier and earlier as we speak?
@HighFlyer: Well, to be honest, I do. I can't get enough of high-school football. I wish they'd extend the season, too. Guess I'm living-up to my User Name (High School Football Fanatic).

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
HighFlyer wrote:The real question is, does anyone like the fact that the season is starting earlier and earlier as we speak?
@HighFlyer: Well, to be honest, I do. I can't get enough of high-school football. I wish they'd extend the season, too. Guess I'm living-up to my User Name (High School Football Fanatic).
None of us can. But playing about four months would take a huge toll for the players.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
None of us can. But playing about four months would take a huge toll for the players.
@gopunahou: What if they had games only once every two weeks. That might extend the season even beyond four months, and wouldn't increase the toll on the players. They'd still have about the same number of games.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

@HS FB Fanatic
That's a good thought. Too bad there is the matter of winter and spring sports, though.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:@HS FB Fanatic
That's a good thought. Too bad there is the matter of winter and spring sports, though.
@gopunahou: Well, the players would just have to make-up their minds. They won't be able to play those other sports, if they want to play football. They should be able to play the Spring sports.