2015 HHSAA Baseball State Championship

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

2015 HHSAA Baseball State Championship

Post by Neighbor »

Sucks if you missed it, but two great semifinal games today.

Mililani vs. Mid-Pac was tied until the 6th inning when MPI put up three runs and then Mililani had the bases loaded in the 7th inning. They managed a run but couldn't get it done.

Then Kamehameha vs. Campbell. Both scored a run in the first inning and then it went all the way till the 10th inning.

Two great games!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Re: 2015 HHSAA Baseball State Championship

Post by reignjah11 »

Rooting for Campbell but i think Mid Pac takes state. They are better defensively and their execution of small ball will be the key in what may be a low scoring game.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Maryknoll just won its 3rd straight D2 title. I wonder if people will clamor for them to move to D1 the way almost everybody clamored for Iolani FB to move up to D1. Furthermore, does anyone care that Maryknoll is dominating the lower division? I've also noticed that Maryknoll athletics all-around have improved drastically since the decade began.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by reignjah11 »

gopunahou wrote:Maryknoll just won its 3rd straight D2 title. I wonder if people will clamor for them to move to D1 the way almost everybody clamored for Iolani FB to move up to D1. Furthermore, does anyone care that Maryknoll is dominating the lower division? I've also noticed that Maryknoll athletics all-around have improved drastically since the decade began.
I thought i heard the commentators say that they'll move up to D1 next year?

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by reignjah11 »

Congrats Campbell! What a game! :hello1: Really enjoyed watching this tourney.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

reignjah11 wrote:
gopunahou wrote:Maryknoll just won its 3rd straight D2 title. I wonder if people will clamor for them to move to D1 the way almost everybody clamored for Iolani FB to move up to D1. Furthermore, does anyone care that Maryknoll is dominating the lower division? I've also noticed that Maryknoll athletics all-around have improved drastically since the decade began.
I thought i heard the commentators say that they'll move up to D1 next year?
Maryknoll baseball? I think everybody knows Iolani FB is moving to D1 next year. That might be a good move, considering Maryknoll's become a contender in many sports and seems to have upgraded their athletic program (look at boys & girls BB, softball, & volleyball). Anyway, congrats to Maryknoll and Campbell!
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Didn't get to watch the game but sounds like it was a good one too!

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

Knowing a certain key figure of the Maryknoll baseball program, he (they) could care less about what people think. They've built a program from the ground, they've done it the right way and they are damn proud of their accomplishments. That being said, they have a vision and as stated by their HC in their interview on OC16, moving to D1 has always been one of their goals. Keep in mind that they've been on the bitter end of 10 run rules to teams like Punahou etc for quite some time now. Lastly, the HC knows that there will be more growing pains next year, but he relishes the challenge. He summed it best when using the football star rating analogy" " We do not have 5star players, we have 3-star players who are hungry, loves the game and loves being a student of the games".

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Yeah I'd say they're pretty similar to Iolani in football. Maryknoll might steal a game or two from the DI ILH teams but for the most part, the DI teams beat them easily. But the ILH switched it up a season or two ago and now DI teams only play DI teams and DII teams only play DII teams.

On that note, I'm also surprised that Hanalani has their own baseball team

friedrice
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by friedrice »

The ILH chose to not have D1 teams play D2 teams in Baseball. The Big 4 programs were afraid that if they lost to a D2 team it would effect their rankings. Yes Maryknoll has been 10 run ruled numerous times. But they have beaten Kamehameha, Iolani, in 2011 and 12. They had the winning run on 2B with one out against Punahou. 2013 the D1 schools decided they did not want to play D2 schools in fear of losing.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

friedrice wrote:The ILH chose to not have D1 teams play D2 teams in Baseball. The Big 4 programs were afraid that if they lost to a D2 team it would effect their rankings. Yes Maryknoll has been 10 run ruled numerous times. But they have beaten Kamehameha, Iolani, in 2011 and 12. They had the winning run on 2B with one out against Punahou. 2013 the D1 schools decided they did not want to play D2 schools in fear of losing.
Nice. I totally forgot that they beat D1 teams.......with inferior talent I might add.

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

Neighbor, the thing is Iolani cries about playing the big boys while Maryknoll relishes the challenge. Iolani always gives the same arrogant excuses as to why they should stay in D2. In fact, talent-wise, Iolani possesses more in football than Maryknoll does in baseball.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

The interesting thing is that the D1 champions in football, basketball, and baseball have all been OIA schools. The last time that could've happened was 2001 IIRC. That's the year Kahuku won in FB and Kalaheo won in BB. I don't remember who the baseball champion was.

And I applaud Maryknoll and their coach for their attitude about playing big teams.