Looks like Iolani finally heading to D1

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Looks like Iolani finally heading to D1

Post by HighFlyer »

BullNuts808 wrote:
HighFlyer wrote:http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/featured ... ivision-i/
I know this is baseball but read coach Yamashiro's comments. Coach Look and any arrogant supporter of Iolani's presence in D2 can learn something from them. We need people like Coach Yamashiro and less people like Coach Look and the arrogant people that endorse Iolani's presence in D2.

It also makes me LOL when people claim that Iolani does not recruit. I doubt that Makekau, Aga, and several others aren't kids Iolani didn't recruit. It also makes these Iolani backers sound more arrogant than they already are when they make these claims.
Its not a claim.....Makekau and Aga are paying tuition. Who else you got? Talked to their parents last year. Both are Iolani supporters and they don't seem to be "arrogant"(can you believe that!!). :lol:

Personally I'm all for recruiting at Iolani and Iolani staying D1. Overall, it provides better competition at that level but I think you need this to be true so it can further support your assumptions to gain favor from others. I do sense your overwhelming distaste for the school when your responses make personal judgements on those who oppose your views. But this is fact. Every players' parents pay tuition there.
Probably $10 of tuition LOL. Anyone who claims Iolani does not recruit is an arrogant complete IDIOT! Stop saying Iolani does not recruit or belongs in D1. Only an idiot would say that!

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

HighFlyer wrote:
BullNuts808 wrote:
HighFlyer wrote:http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/featured ... ivision-i/
I know this is baseball but read coach Yamashiro's comments. Coach Look and any arrogant supporter of Iolani's presence in D2 can learn something from them. We need people like Coach Yamashiro and less people like Coach Look and the arrogant people that endorse Iolani's presence in D2.

It also makes me LOL when people claim that Iolani does not recruit. I doubt that Makekau, Aga, and several others aren't kids Iolani didn't recruit. It also makes these Iolani backers sound more arrogant than they already are when they make these claims.
Its not a claim.....Makekau and Aga are paying tuition. Who else you got? Talked to their parents last year. Both are Iolani supporters and they don't seem to be "arrogant"(can you believe that!!). :lol:

Personally I'm all for recruiting at Iolani and Iolani staying D1. Overall, it provides better competition at that level but I think you need this to be true so it can further support your assumptions to gain favor from others. I do sense your overwhelming distaste for the school when your responses make personal judgements on those who oppose your views. But this is fact. Every players' parents pay tuition there.
Probably $10 of tuition LOL. Anyone who claims Iolani does not recruit is an arrogant complete IDIOT! Stop saying Iolani does not recruit or belongs in D1. Only an idiot would say that!
If your only response is resorting to name-calling then you have proven that you have no support for your claim except that you hate the school. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But Iolani does not recruit. Plain and simple. You cannot fabricate something because of your personal feelings. Iolani does NOT recruit players for the sport of Football. Call me what you like but its the truth.

Markeke
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Markeke »

Good luck to Iolani. Yes, they don't recruit. If you play a sport then fine.

IolaniC/O2009
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by IolaniC/O2009 »

I'm an Iolani graduate so don't go thinking I'm an elitist and that I'm better than you. I know I live with weaknesses and make mistakes and know that EVERY school produces excellent, great students (look at Rex Manu). I am nothing like 1808anonymous. I also know that some schools possess better programs in certain areas and that Iolani is not for everybody. But let me refute something: we do recruit. Yes, we are guilty of that. I spent 11 years at Iolani and can name many kids we recruited for football, especially when Joe Igber played for us. But the thing is, we don't recruit as much as schools as St. Louis, so don't make it sound like we do. I understand Coach Look's concern about us playing D2, but trust me, we don't belong there. The only time we truly did was between 2004 and 2007, and even then, there were big players who could light up the likes of Kahuku, like Kiran Kepoo. Last year, I discovered we fielded our biggest team since Donny Mateaki was a senior. And let my sister--who graduated at Iolani the same year Donny did--tell you, when Joe and Donny (they never played on the same Iolani teams but helped us tremendously) were on our football teams, the only team that was routinely kicking our okoles was St. Louis. The same St. Louis team that, with Timmy Chang, Gerald Welch, and Jason Rivers, was hammering everybody. If we field as big of a team as we did last year, we'll be just fine and do as well as we did against the Big 3 as we did when Joe and Donny played.

HaterOfElitists
High-quality H20 provider

Post by HaterOfElitists »

IolaniC/O2009 wrote:I'm an Iolani graduate so don't go thinking I'm an elitist and that I'm better than you. I know I live with weaknesses and make mistakes and know that EVERY school produces excellent, great students (look at Rex Manu). I am nothing like 1808anonymous. I also know that some schools possess better programs in certain areas and that Iolani is not for everybody. But let me refute something: we do recruit. Yes, we are guilty of that. I spent 11 years at Iolani and can name many kids we recruited for football, especially when Joe Igber played for us. But the thing is, we don't recruit as much as schools as St. Louis, so don't make it sound like we do. I understand Coach Look's concern about us playing D2, but trust me, we don't belong there. The only time we truly did was between 2004 and 2007, and even then, there were big players who could light up the likes of Kahuku, like Kiran Kepoo. Last year, I discovered we fielded our biggest team since Donny Mateaki was a senior. And let my sister--who graduated at Iolani the same year Donny did--tell you, when Joe and Donny (they never played on the same Iolani teams but helped us tremendously) were on our football teams, the only team that was routinely kicking our okoles was St. Louis. The same St. Louis team that, with Timmy Chang, Gerald Welch, and Jason Rivers, was hammering everybody. If we field as big of a team as we did last year, we'll be just fine and do as well as we did against the Big 3 as we did when Joe and Donny played.
I am glad that this Iolani grad isn't an elitist. You didn't name any of the kids Iolani recruited, but let me name one for you: Cody Kamakana. Cody was recruited to play in 10th grade and graduated in 2008. He is also an elitist of mega proportions. It's people like him that give Iolani a bad name.

Oh, and the last time Iolani played the Big 3 twice was 1999. They BEAT Punahou (and had bigger team in 99) once and came within a FIELD GOAL of beating Kamehameha. If you think that's a small feat, keep in mind that Kamehameha only lost TWO GAMES in 1999--to St. Louis--and clobbered said team by 25 points. This was Timmy Chang's senior year. Coincidentally, that St. Louis team was the only one that beat Iolani by more than 20 points that year. Does that sound like a team that belongs in D2 playing Pac-Five and St. Francis?

Anyone who thinks Iolani is a true D2 team and does not recruit deserves to suffer in Gitmo! Face it, Iolani's got as much business playing Pac-Five and St. Francis as UH does playing the Seahawks or Colts!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

MauiGuy wrote:
harus0ra wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:sole the thing that change is siuaki livai didnt have to compete with punahou/stlouis/kam taking the talented AQ ballers out of the community. manti teo and robby tome play laie bigboy league puns come and recruit from young age. right now a stlouis position coach that is coaching laie big boys and u know some of those kids getting ready to go stlouis. dass the thing that change. not that kids got dummer just the smart kids going to private school, last year puns have 5 kahuku kids that will mostelikely move on to collge thats 5 less for kahuku to send to college scholrship

plus side is that the bigboy league provide a avenue for kids to get into private school n good education
bad side is kahuku get deplete
Very true! We can't blame them for leaving because football isn't the reason they leaving and if the kids had a choice to whom they want to play for it would be Kahuku. But education is every parents priority and I would probably do the same...
This is true...Until some of the public schools can offer the same education and learning environment as the privates, it won't change. Don't blame the kids, the recruiters or the football programs. If education is great, they'll stay.
@MauiGuy: I would suggest that while parents are looking at education, the kids want to play for a school with a good team. Someone else on this thread said earlier that Cal Lee couldn't get many kids recruited out of Kalani while he was coaching there for three years. I don't think that has anything to do with education; Kalani is one of the best public high-schools on the island. The problem is that Kalani didn't have the football talent that, say, St Louis had. If you're talking about academics, I think Kalani could give St Louis a pretty good rub.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

If Iolani DOES lose every game against the Big Three by 30 points or more, you'll know something is fishy. I know their coach thinks they are incapable of playing the Big Three on a constant basis, but I don't think they are THAT incapable.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

Money May TBE
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Money May TBE »

I heard that the raiders and the rest of the division 2 ilh programs are a combined 6-55 against the division 1 opponents.

this is why a third division is necessary.

HaterOfElitists

Post by HaterOfElitists »

Money May TBE wrote:I heard that the raiders and the rest of the division 2 ilh programs are a combined 6-55 against the division 1 opponents.

this is why a third division is necessary.
But the gap between Iolani and the Big 3 isn't as big as the gap between them and the rest of D2.

Money May TBE
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Money May TBE »

That record between the ILH D1 and D2 is quite a huge gap if you ask me.

It's not Iolani's fault that they do more with less.

Damien has more guys in recent memory that went on to play D1 college football and even one of those guys went on to play several years in the NFL. Iolani has a bunch of midgets that execute well.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Money May TBE wrote:That record between the ILH D1 and D2 is quite a huge gap if you ask me.

It's not Iolani's fault that they do more with less.

Damien has more guys in recent memory that went on to play D1 college football and even one of those guys went on to play several years in the NFL. Iolani has a bunch of midgets that execute well.
@Money May TBE: Well, I guess they might be "midgets" at some of the skill positions, but not on the line. They have a fairly big line this year, and they were fairly big there last year, too.

Money May TBE
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Money May TBE »

Agreed they do have size this year and they need it since they are moving up. But let's be honest, isn't it true that traditionally their lineman have been smaller than most teams free safeties.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Money May TBE wrote:Agreed they do have size this year and they need it since they are moving up. But let's be honest, isn't it true that traditionally their lineman have been smaller than most teams free safeties.
@Money May TBE: Absolutely. And I as I had mentioned in another post, it is kind of unusual that Iolani's line was big last year, and is big again this year. Could it be that Look saw the writing on the wall, and realized that Iolani would probably end-up in D1 this year? This may have led him to "beat the bushes" at the school, encouraging big boys to join the team as linemen. Nothing wrong with that, of course. As you say, however, Iolani just doesn't seem to have a lot of big boys each year, or at least they apparently don't go out for football. Look did a good job stocking his line with big boys somehow.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

Money May TBE wrote:Agreed they do have size this year and they need it since they are moving up. But let's be honest, isn't it true that traditionally their lineman have been smaller than most teams free safeties.
So many people claim that Iolani is INCAPABLE of fielding a huge team. That certainly ain't the case. Remember the Joe Igber years? When he--and Donny Mateaki after him--played, Iolani had BIGGER teams than Punahou. I kid you not. I think what they covet most are speedy players, regardless of whether they are 6-1, 200 lbs or 5-5, 130 lbs. Having a good mix of SPEED and some Donny Mateaki-sized athletes can help you win a lot of games, including ones you shouldn't. They know--as do many winning teams--that football is a game of BALANCE above everything. They've got a huge sophomore D-Lineman (6-2, 225 lbs) in Carl Lima who could make a huge difference. And they've fielded teams with big guys before (like the Joe Igber teams, which had big dudes like Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, Keoki Barrett, and Donny) so don't act like it's impossible for them to have big athletes.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
So many people claim that Iolani is INCAPABLE of fielding a huge team. That certainly ain't the case. Remember the Joe Igber years? When he--and Donny Mateaki after him--played, Iolani had BIGGER teams than Punahou. I kid you not. I think what they covet most are speedy players, regardless of whether they are 6-1, 200 lbs or 5-5, 130 lbs. Having a good mix of SPEED and some Donny Mateaki-sized athletes can help you win a lot of games, including ones you shouldn't. They know--as do many winning teams--that football is a game of BALANCE above everything. They've got a huge sophomore D-Lineman (6-2, 225 lbs) in Carl Lima who could make a huge difference. And they've fielded teams with big guys before (like the Joe Igber teams, which had big dudes like Uriah Moenoa, Willy Kava, Keoki Barrett, and Donny) so don't act like it's impossible for them to have big athletes.
@gopunahou: Well, it's certainly not impossible for any school to have big athletes. I think what Money May TBE is saying is simply that Iolani doesn't have them very often, and I think we can all agree on that.