Looks like Iolani finally heading to D1

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Looks like Iolani finally heading to D1

Post by soleu »

huki-lau-lau wrote:i to love to see island boys outperform mailnand kids. on the college level hawaii boys stick togeta no matter what high school u go. but here in the islands its healthy to have animosity between high schools so that the competition remain high level. if too much kissy kissy bow down to eachother, going look like the nba everybody like be friends.

so to that...i say redraider #1 we dont need no private school network, we already proven we can make our own story and our own destination, this new era i think will breed another squad of kahuku athletes to touch the nfl. right now haouli kikaha and kona swenki two kids from our chamionship 2009 team in nfl.

cheeeeeehoooo! rr4l
Kahuku is one of the reasons I said what I said. So much talent put into bad positions in the next level. So many high quality DBs I want to cheer for but none of them get offers to the next level. Kawehena Johnson was the best safety I've seen in a long time but Kahuku only got him to NMSt.. 5'9" or not, didn't seem to matter when it came to open field tackles on a power runner or shutting down half of the field. What about the sharks? Those are all D1 big conference talent that don't get the help they need to get there. Great, humble, and coachable players from the north shore that don't get the networking and resources to get to the next level.

No one is saying to pull a Mayweather and hug on the field. Play hard, but get these boys to the next level. I don't know what Coach Livai did in his day to get that talent in the right spots to have the most players in the NFL but you guys should get him more involved in the program again to find out. The talent is still there, state title or no state title.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

there are many perspectives to look at it from, me you dis dat is all correct, my angles about DB's is...

kahuku sent aron franciso to nfl and leonard peters had a short nfl stint
kasier sent rich miano to nfl

tigi hill was supposed to be the next great db out of kahuku but grades i think was an issue. kawehena johnson made it do D1 is that not a success? free education!

i dont recall stlouis or punahou connections getting any of their dbs to the nfl

fact is that db is a black man position, college dont come to hawaii asking for dbs

dont forget that junior college is another route that many NFLers have gone through. point of the whole story is that the creme of the crop db will rise to the top no matter where they come from or path they take. the sharks from kahuku db team was good in high school but they have every opporunity to go JC or walk on D1 and if they really are D1 talent then it will show. there is no excuses in this days, parents have so many camps to send their kids to.

siuaki took a group of kids to utah every summer for camps das how he got exposure for the kids, plus in 1999 tonui fonoti was a beast at nebraska oline and had one article in sportsillustrated mentioning kahuku high school so colleges contacted siuaki if get any more big kids like toniu. now days darren johnosn takes kids to vegas for the 7on7 and parents can also independently take their kids to camps on the mainland. no more excuses anymore for any public school kids, the opportunity is there they just need to work hard and make gradees and college coaches will find you.
-------------------

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

huki-lau-lau wrote:there are many perspectives to look at it from, me you dis dat is all correct, my angles about DB's is...

tigi hill was supposed to be the next great db out of kahuku but grades i think was an issue. kawehena johnson made it do D1 is that not a success? free education!

i dont recall stlouis or punahou connections getting any of their dbs to the nfl

fact is that db is a black man position, college dont come to hawaii asking for dbs

dont forget that junior college is another route that many NFLers have gone through. point of the whole story is that the creme of the crop db will rise to the top no matter where they come from or path they take. the sharks from kahuku db team was good in high school but they have every opporunity to go JC or walk on D1 and if they really are D1 talent then it will show. there is no excuses in this days, parents have so many camps to send their kids to.

siuaki took a group of kids to utah every summer for camps das how he got exposure for the kids, plus in 1999 tonui fonoti was a beast at nebraska oline and had one article in sportsillustrated mentioning kahuku high school so colleges contacted siuaki if get any more big kids like toniu. now days darren johnosn takes kids to vegas for the 7on7 and parents can also independently take their kids to camps on the mainland. no more excuses anymore for any public school kids, the opportunity is there they just need to work hard and make gradees and college coaches will find you.
Kahuku's Al Afalava played three years in the NFL.

Kamehameha's Brandon Hardin, despite injuries the last three years, is still in the NFL.

Only Saint Louis defensive back that I know played in the NFL was Harold Stringert. Stringert played cornerback for the San Diego Chargers 1975-1980.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

BowTow wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:there are many perspectives to look at it from, me you dis dat is all correct, my angles about DB's is...

Kahuku's Al Afalava played three years in the NFL.

Kamehameha's Brandon Hardin, despite injuries the last three years, is still in the NFL.

Only Saint Louis defensive back that I know played in the NFL was Harold Stringert. Stringert played cornerback for the San Diego Chargers 1975-1980.
I know this may be off point but I think in the late 80's to 2000 a St. Louis education geared towards their athletes was definitely suspect (Prop 48). With this said, most of their players could not acclimate to the collegiate level academically. Thus ending their career in college. Hopefully, Cal Lee learned a few lessons or so about college eligibility at UH and can start getting more athletes to the NFL.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Talent like Kawe Johnson deserves more than New Mexico State...and if you truly believe that statement then tell me this. Why would Chip Kelly and his elite, fast-paced offense, look for a Mobile QB that never played yet and is from Hawaii instead of CA, FL, or TX? St. Louis put that young man in the right place and Mariota's talent did the rest.

1) Skin color doesn't matter, that's a sorry excuse.
2) You get the attention of the scouts like how you say Siuaki did, then talent will get offers.

Nice that you bring up JC. Tell me generally which schools, public or private, send more of their top tier talent to JC's and which one sends their guys to D1.

Like I said, private schools have the resources and networks to get talent to better exposure on the next level. Kahuku has crazy talent that the Pac 12 isn't taking advantage of. If it's academic issues, why isn't the school looking at this and putting in better standards off of what worked for Livai? Norm Chow said it himself when he talked about going to Laie for talent. Yet I don't see a Kahuku pipeline that you used to have with Utah and Oregon State.

It is what it is. Welcome to D1, Iolani. Hope you stay long enough for your program to get accustomed to this level of competition.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

mariota was already on college radars from attending camps his size sped and talent was notice his sophmore year. no matter he go cambell high and he still end up at oregon. same camps that public school kids can attend and get notices, like braden vehoko went to alabama camp and nick sajan offered him schoolly u think farrington okimoto has a pipeline to alamaba? no, it is the parents that do most of the leg work for the kids like vehoko parents on their own get all 5 of their boys notice. and vehoko parnets make sure the child get good grades and they use that as selling to college.

eletise boy from kaiser getting many sec pac10 offers because of camps not stloius connections.

also remembe that private school is already a place that weeds out low hanging fruit of kids. most kids that can enter into private schools is already have good family support and good grades and good athlete so the private school like cal lee is starting the season off with elite kids. got public school and you have kids with many issues the same kids that private schools turn away and dont want to deal with. how many kids did cal lee send to college the past 3 years he coahc at kalani? this year at stlouis he send 5+ not because of him but the familyss and hard work of the kids.

college like ucla has connection with punahou because ucla know that punahou only accepts elite kids into their school and that saves ucal time and money to comb the entire state for those elite kids. same with oregon too, they know that if a kid is attending stlouis then mostlikty they kid is qualified for SAT and ACT and college no waste time if public school kid play football good but fail the SAT.

lately for kahuku kids its grades. but i understand your sway of argument to why kahuku kids no go stlouis to take advantage of that connections. 1. money 2. grades 3. live and die redraider fo life!
-------------------

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

huki-lau-lau wrote: college like ucla has connection with punahou because ucla know that punahou only accepts elite kids into their school and that saves ucal time and money to comb the entire state for those elite kids. same with oregon too, they know that if a kid is attending stlouis then mostlikty they kid is qualified for SAT and ACT and college no waste time if public school kid play football good but fail the SAT.
This right here is exactly my point of why I like Iolani being another bridge for Hawaii talent to get to the big stage of D1 football.

and no, I want Kahuku kids to stay home. There's more pride representing where you're from. I just don't understand what changed from the early 00's to now as to the lower number of AQ offers going to the Red Raiders while the talent is still there.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

sole the thing that change is siuaki livai didnt have to compete with punahou/stlouis/kam taking the talented AQ ballers out of the community. manti teo and robby tome play laie bigboy league puns come and recruit from young age. right now a stlouis position coach that is coaching laie big boys and u know some of those kids getting ready to go stlouis. dass the thing that change. not that kids got dummer just the smart kids going to private school, last year puns have 5 kahuku kids that will mostelikely move on to collge thats 5 less for kahuku to send to college scholrship

plus side is that the bigboy league provide a avenue for kids to get into private school n good education
bad side is kahuku get deplete
-------------------

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

huki-lau-lau wrote:sole the thing that change is siuaki livai didnt have to compete with punahou/stlouis/kam taking the talented AQ ballers out of the community. manti teo and robby tome play laie bigboy league puns come and recruit from young age. right now a stlouis position coach that is coaching laie big boys and u know some of those kids getting ready to go stlouis. dass the thing that change. not that kids got dummer just the smart kids going to private school, last year puns have 5 kahuku kids that will mostelikely move on to collge thats 5 less for kahuku to send to college scholrship

plus side is that the bigboy league provide a avenue for kids to get into private school n good education
Very true! We can't blame them for leaving because football isn't the reason they leaving and if the kids had a choice to whom they want to play for it would be Kahuku. But education is every parents priority and I would probably do the same...

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by BullNuts808 »

Eletise boy from kaiser getting many sec pac10 offers because of camps not stloius connections.

Eletise along with several other Kaiser Kids were showcased at Miano's (his former coach) first GPA Camp last year. This launched his overwhelming sea of college offers

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

harus0ra wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:sole the thing that change is siuaki livai didnt have to compete with punahou/stlouis/kam taking the talented AQ ballers out of the community. manti teo and robby tome play laie bigboy league puns come and recruit from young age. right now a stlouis position coach that is coaching laie big boys and u know some of those kids getting ready to go stlouis. dass the thing that change. not that kids got dummer just the smart kids going to private school, last year puns have 5 kahuku kids that will mostelikely move on to collge thats 5 less for kahuku to send to college scholrship

Very true! We can't blame them for leaving because football isn't the reason they leaving and if the kids had a choice to whom they want to play for it would be Kahuku. But education is every parents priority and I would probably do the same...
This is true...Until some of the public schools can offer the same education and learning environment as the privates, it won't change. Don't blame the kids, the recruiters or the football programs. If education is great, they'll stay.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

Former Punahou & Utah St Safety, BrIan Suite just signed a Free Agent contract with the Lions, last week

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I think a healthy Jeremy Ioane (Former Punahou & Boise St Safety), would have gotten a shot in the NFL

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/featured ... ivision-i/
I know this is baseball but read coach Yamashiro's comments. Coach Look and any arrogant supporter of Iolani's presence in D2 can learn something from them. We need people like Coach Yamashiro and less people like Coach Look and the arrogant people that endorse Iolani's presence in D2.

It also makes me LOL when people claim that Iolani does not recruit. I doubt that Makekau, Aga, and several others aren't kids Iolani didn't recruit. It also makes these Iolani backers sound more arrogant than they already are when they make these claims.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by BullNuts808 »

HighFlyer wrote:http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/featured ... ivision-i/
I know this is baseball but read coach Yamashiro's comments. Coach Look and any arrogant supporter of Iolani's presence in D2 can learn something from them. We need people like Coach Yamashiro and less people like Coach Look and the arrogant people that endorse Iolani's presence in D2.

It also makes me LOL when people claim that Iolani does not recruit. I doubt that Makekau, Aga, and several others aren't kids Iolani didn't recruit. It also makes these Iolani backers sound more arrogant than they already are when they make these claims.
Its not a claim.....Makekau and Aga are paying tuition. Who else you got? Talked to their parents last year. Both are Iolani supporters and they don't seem to be "arrogant"(can you believe that!!). :lol:

Personally I'm all for recruiting at Iolani and Iolani staying D1. Overall, it provides better competition at that level but I think you need this to be true so it can further support your assumptions to gain favor from others. I do sense your overwhelming distaste for the school when your responses make personal judgements on those who oppose your views. But this is fact. Every players' parents pay tuition there.