8 team State Football tournament

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
agent g
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

8 team State Football tournament

Post by agent g »

I know that money is a huge factor that comes in to play during the state football championships, but I for one want to see the field be increased to 8 teams again. If Iolani moved up and competed with D1 (I know old argument here) I wouldn't be opposed to having two teams represent the ILH. Then that last spot could be for a 4th OIA team. What do you all think?

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Re: 8 team State Football tournament

Post by politclyincrekt »

agent g wrote:I know that money is a huge factor that comes in to play during the state football championships, but I for one want to see the field be increased to 8 teams again. If Iolani moved up and competed with D1 (I know old argument here) I wouldn't be opposed to having two teams represent the ILH. Then that last spot could be for a 4th OIA team. What do you all think?
This has been discussed many times over and everyone has talked about it and will continue to talk about it. Between the Division I and Division II tournaments it's really difficult getting all the athletic organizations on the same page. I'm sure the BIIF and MIL would be against giving Oahu 2 more berths. Increasing berths this way would also lower the draw to the OIAs final game, relegating the final rounds to berth hunting rather than title chasing.

I would be in support of giving 2 at-large / wild card berths to both tournaments. Open to any 2 teams that are deserving, not 2 guaranteed Oahu berths.

PupulePaul
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by PupulePaul »

The ILH has voted AGAINST expanding the Division I state football tournament field to eight teams from six for many years. The ILH and OIA combined outnumber the remaining leagues. The OIA has always been against an eight-team field, as well. (The OIA was against a state football tourney for fiscal reasons, but that's another topic.)

Last year, at HIADA, there wasn't even a proposal to be analyzed.

It began as eight teams, then shrunk to six with the advent of the D-II state tourney. As long as the ILH votes against it, the field will never return to eight.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

PupulePaul wrote:The ILH has voted AGAINST expanding the Division I state football tournament field to eight teams from six for many years. The ILH and OIA combined outnumber the remaining leagues. The OIA has always been against an eight-team field, as well. (The OIA was against a state football tourney for fiscal reasons, but that's another topic.)

It began as eight teams, then shrunk to six with the advent of the D-II state tourney. As long as the ILH votes against it, the field will never return to eight.
While the league is voting against it, does that include the many small schools of the ILH that don't have their own football teams? Or is it just the 6 schools that have their own football teams? It would be interesting if schools like Hanalani or Christian Academy have the same voting power as Kamehameha, Punahou, and St. Louis

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Here is what I want to know. Why does the ILH vote against the 8-team format?

To me,the 8 team format in a new incarnation would be a way for two ILH D-I teams to make states. Every one on this board,whether they admit it or not,wonders what would happen if two ILH D-I teams could be eligible for the state championship every year..

What are the ILH admins thinking?...C'mon, hasn't someone wondered what the D-I result would have been like if St.Louis had gotten in states as the ILH No.2?....sure they have.!.....I think Mililani would have beaten them twice last year...just me thinking out loud...heh,heh!

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

PupulePaul wrote:The ILH has voted AGAINST expanding the Division I state football tournament field to eight teams from six for many years. The ILH and OIA combined outnumber the remaining leagues. The OIA has always been against an eight-team field, as well. (The OIA was against a state football tourney for fiscal reasons, but that's another topic.)

Is their a guarantee that another ILH berth would be added if the tournament field went to eight? If not then I would see why the ILH would be against it.

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

This is what I'd like

a 10-team tournament:

1st weekend
The OIA's 3rd best team travels to Maui to take on the 2nd-place finisher in the MIL.
The OIA's 4th best team travels to the Big Island to take on the 2nd-place finisher in the BIIF.

The winner of the OIA #3/MIL #2 takes on the OIA champion
The winner of the OIA #4/BIIF #2 takes on the ILH champion
The OIA's 2nd best team takes on the MIL champion
The ILH's 2nd best team takes on the BIIF champion

And how is it fair that the OIA is the only league that gets multiple berths? Don't give me that numbers excuse bc that's a copout!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

To be fair ,it is not a copout that the OIA gets more berths. If there are twenty three DI schools playing football and 14 of them are from one league , then you know that the other three DI leagues only account for 9 of the other D-I
schools. Demographics what they are,some competitive teams would be left out if the OIA was limited to one team just because it was one league.

OIA 14, BIIF 4.MIL2 ,ILH 3. If you combine the ILH,MIL,and BIIF teams into one league they would only have two more teams than either of the OIA D-I divisions.

Personally,I think that the ILH should get their top two into the D-I tourney based on strength of teams.The MIL and BIIF haven't made a case for more than one berth because it;s been many years since Baldwin has been in a semi-final,and BIIF D-I teams have yet to make it out of the first round.
Last edited by unpaid on Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

HighFlyer wrote:This is what I'd like

a 10-team tournament:

1st weekend
The OIA's 3rd best team travels to Maui to take on the 2nd-place finisher in the MIL.
The OIA's 4th best team travels to the Big Island to take on the 2nd-place finisher in the BIIF.

The winner of the OIA #3/MIL #2 takes on the OIA champion
The winner of the OIA #4/BIIF #2 takes on the ILH champion
The OIA's 2nd best team takes on the MIL champion
The ILH's 2nd best team takes on the BIIF champion

And how is it fair that the OIA is the only league that gets multiple berths? Don't give me that numbers excuse bc that's a copout!
HighFlyer, this format makes a lot of sense and I do believe this coming year will be competitive on the Big Island at both DI and DII divisions and should be a three school battle. DI - Hilo, Kealakehe, Waiakea....DII- Kona, KSH, Honokaa. With that being said, unfortunately the top tier in both the ILH and OIA will be far superior to any BIIF or MIL schools next year........but I like the format and it gives the outer islands a chance, especially traveling to their home turf! Great job!

1hawaii
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by 1hawaii »

HighFllyer:
If the HHSAA has the money for two 6 team tournaments then it has the money for 1 12 team tournament. Separate the league first and seed it second. 1 big tournament to rule them all. Smaller weaker programs can take pride in making the tournament and stronger programs can win it. All the other programs can suck it up or play 8-man football. Open it up, let them settle it on the field instead of debating every year.