Two Hawaii QB's on the same college squad...Yep!

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Two Hawaii QB's on the same college squad...Yep!

Post by unpaid »

Cody Lui-Yuen is a freshman QB at Alabama A&M. I like to see young RadGrads move onto college.So, when I checked the school and conference websites, I got a surprise.Lui-Yuen is a frosh and didn't see the game field much if any...that wasn't the surprise.

Guess who the AAMU starting QB was......none other than Castle grad Jaymason Lee. Stat line was something like 129-257-9 for 2004 yards in 2014 in 8 games played For an average of almost 250 yards of offense per game. Not bad. Hope Cody Lui-Yuen can pick up the slack whe Jaymason Lee graduates.

Is there any other college team that has two Hawaii prep grads at QB on the mainland?

The Hawaii connection at Alabama A&M doesn'T end with the players. Radford,UH,NFL alumnus Ashley Lelie is the wide receivers coach.

Go for it,my braddahs!

BigWave96744

Re: Two Hawaii QB's on the same college squad...Yep!

Post by BigWave96744 »

2014 HI prep D1 QBs
Hawaii - Jeremy Higgins (note, Keelan Ewaliko was a 2* QB)
Oregon - Marcus Mariota
UNLV - Jarin Morikawa

Good to see 2 other local QBs joining Andrew Manley (Eastern Illinois) at the FCS level

BTW former Mililani QB Trent McKinney was a QB and a Safety at Montana before transferring to D2 South Dakota School of Mines to resume playing QB this season.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

The only other Polynesian D1 QBs I can think of is Ikaika Woolsey (Hawaii), Anu Solomon ( Arizona) & Sefo Liufau (Colorado), with Woolsey and Solomon's parents graduating from Oahu schools.

Colorado also has a Hapa-Pino QB in Cade Apsay :D

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think with Marcus Mariota winning the Heisman Trophy,you have to figure Hawaii skill position players will be sought after a little more. That said, being in Hawaii in high school back in the 60's and 70's ,I watched players who could have played at mainland schools even back then....so why did it take so long to get noticed?

I hope the publicity from Mariota's success will lead to more scholarships for Hawaii players at QB,RB,WR..etc. in addition to those super linemen we turn out.

BigWave96744

Post by BigWave96744 »

I think the era of Arcenaeux, Gesser and Chang really paved the way for the mainland to take notice of local QBs.