Hoops!

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Hoops!

Post by Getreal$ »

BIIF update - Really nothing to share about any DI teams, Waiakea and KS-Hawaii appear to be very slight favorites but anyone in the top four could win it. All of the DI teams are young with some teams starting three freshman. The next two years will be competitive, not this year.

DII- I know Paul Honda is high on Pahoa but Kohala and HPA appear to be the teams to beat here and all three are undefeated. Kohala's uptempo fast paced play is very entertaining with their team stacked with experience. I believe they start at least three seniors that started the past three years and they are good! HPA the defending DII champions have the best Big man in 6'5" Nicky Paleschi. He can do it all and his low post moves as well as perimeter play is difficult to defend. They also have a 6'3" point guard with three years of varsity experience. Pahoa of course has Toby Saito but the main reason why Pahoa has succeeded over the past few years is Coach Mark Saito. With the exception of Toby, he probably has the least talent pool of any team yet he has them outperforming better teams every week. Sad thing is one of these top three teams will not make the State playoffs.....

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

BIIF Hoops update:

DI-Once again nothing really exciting to report in this division. KS-Hawaii has taken over the top spot and hold a 1 game lead and a win over Waiakea. If KSH can win one of the next two games (Pahoa and Keaau) they should get the first spot in the HHSAA State Tournament. The second spot would be up for grabs in the BIIF playoffs.

DII- Kohala is on a roll and should win the DII season crown and automatic spot in the State tournament. Pahoa and HPA have one loss a piece but HPA could make it interesting and a three way battle should they beat Kohala next week Wednesday. Only two will represent the BIIF in the DII tournament but interesting enough, all three have so far defeated all DI competition.

Top Players to watch: Toby Saito (Pahoa), Nicky Palleschi(HPA), Pukana Vincent and Bailey Manliguis (KSH), Calvin Mattos (Waiakea), Shyrome Batin (Honokaa), Cameron Howes (Kona) and four starters from Kohala, (Mikala Jordan, Hana Carvalho, Justin Agbayani, Keelan Figueroa)

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Much love to the lady Rams for getting to the second round against Lahainaluna!

Hiloman
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Hiloman »

LHS vs Konawena, should be interesting. Bates girls play for Kona.The Bates girls were at Lahainaluna 3 years and only played for kona this year. Don't think parents moved there, so would be interesting if girls come back after tournament to graduate a Luna

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Heard that's the plan. Finish out the season and transfer back. Too bad things couldn't have been worked out. Would've been awesome to see ALL the girls play together and enjoy whatever level of success they get.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

No repeat DII State champions this year as Pahoa dispatched HPA through superior coaching of Marc Saito. HPA put all their eggs in one basket by doubling and sometimes triple teaming Toby Saito. Coach Saito made adjustments and showed why he is the best coach in the BIIF. Pahoa is fundamentally sound and excellent at limiting the much taller HPA team to one shot. They put on a blocking out clinic as balls would drop to the ground with no chance of HPA players getting to them. Tonights game against Kohala should be the game of the year in the BIIF and should preview DII contenders at the State level. Different styles of play will clash as the run and gun Cowboys meet the methodical Daggers.

All heart
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by All heart »

Awesome BIIF D2 Championship game last night between Pahoa anda Kohala, congrats to both teams,especially Pahoa considering everything they had to overcome,between the doubters, the lava,hurricane iselle, losing a couple of players to keaau due to rezoning,these boys perservered!Way to make your coaches and your community proud.Championship well deserved.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

I agree, great game and Pahoa is deserving of the #1 state seed. All four BIIF teams played well last night and will represent their respective schools in the State Tournament. I do have one concern about the style of play as it relates to the whistle happy BIIF refs and the physical play of the Oahu teams. Parents please don't harp on the Oahu refs if your team or kids don't get the same call they've been getting all season, they let the kids play at the state level and not call a foul on every drive just because the kid misses a shot or falls down. BIIF refs need to get better at allowing some contact especially blocking out. Displacement? Really? Lucky Farrington and/or Kahuku didn't play in the BIIF.....To the football boys who played in the BIIF basketball playoffs, I love the physical aggressive play and 100% heart and effort. Not taking away anything from the year-round basketball boys, but there is just that special aggressive play and spark that teams need from time to time and its usually clean hard play not dirty.

All heart
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by All heart »

As a Dagger parent,I gotta agree with you,I think the reason we lost to Kalani today was the inability to adapt to the Oahu style of reffing,for the most part,the refs let the kids play,this game could've went either way

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

All Heart- Pahoa had a great season and I actually thought both BIIF DII teams would compete for the title. Unfortunately like the KS-Hawaii games, the calls that the kids usually get in the BIIF will not be called at the HHSAA state tournament. I watched the KS-Campbell game and I could here the parents from KS yelling "FOUL" all game. Like i said in my earlier post, our refs ruin it for the BIIF kids at the State level of play. But then again we've been saying this for 30 years now. Point being, almost every game I watched during the season in the BIIF had teams in the double bonus by the end of the 2nd qtr. Rarely did you see that in the OIA or ILH broadcasted games.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

In D1, gotta tip my hat to Kalaheo, blowing-out top-seeded Punahou. This is the first time this season that Punahou was steamrolled like that. Think we have to consider Kalaheo the new favorite to win it all.

HighFlyer
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HighFlyer »

Sucks for Punahou, considering they got a boatload of seniors leaving. I wonder if Micah Kroeger could've helped them win that game last night. Say what you will about Kroeger, but give him this: he's a proven winner in the ILH and would work better at Punahou than he did at Kamehameha.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Unreal!

The top D-I seeds all gone.Is it parity? Maybe....maybe there is more top coaching available to kids and all the positions can'T be taken by private schools anymore. I like Kalaheo to win it.

D-II. Heart says Kohala.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:In D1, gotta tip my hat to Kalaheo, blowing-out top-seeded Punahou. This is the first time this season that Punahou was steamrolled like that. Think we have to consider Kalaheo the new favorite to win it all.
"New" favorite? I haven't watched a ton of HS hoops this season, but I've watched some, and I was thinking Kalaheo was the favorite all along from beginning to end.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

bandits1 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:In D1, gotta tip my hat to Kalaheo, blowing-out top-seeded Punahou. This is the first time this season that Punahou was steamrolled like that. Think we have to consider Kalaheo the new favorite to win it all.
"New" favorite? I haven't watched a ton of HS hoops this season, but I've watched some, and I was thinking Kalaheo was the favorite all along from beginning to end.
Well, back in preseason, remember that Kalaheo got smashed by McKinley. Also, Farrington beat Kalaheo on its way to the OIA title game against Kahuku. And, there was a time--perhaps several weeks ago--when Punahou looked unstoppable. And, now that Iolani beat Campbell, I'm hoping that Kalaheo gets past Kahuku and beats Iolani for the state title. I'd be OK with Kahuku beating Kalaheo, except that I think Kalaheo would have a better chance of beating Iolani.