Hoops!

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Hoops!

Post by unpaid »

Congrats to the Konawaena girls and Roosevelt boys for doing well against some tough mainland teams in tournaments.
Oak Hill boys team is loaded!.

FishstickBoy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Hoops!

Post by FishstickBoy »

What we need this year is a shot clock. How can you expect people to watch HS teams play if the games are as fun to watch as dogs licking their NUTZ!!!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I would not disagree with the shot clock arqument.I know Iolani has used a North Carolina stall offense once or twice in the past two years to win a ballgame with both squads scoring less than two high school spread-offense football teams could score.

The thing is,the stall is not prohibited by the current rules. I think most coaches know they would kill the sport attendance figures below what they are now if this kind of game showed up more in local high school contests. But,why not introduce a shot clock,just to make sure?

Even if the shot clock is :25 that is still slow if a coach wants to slow things down..but it is still not as slow as a classic North Caroling four-corners offense...where the clock did not matter as long as you had the ball. Trust me,players used to stand around and wouldn't make a move until an opposition player finally came up to them.zzzzzzzzzz.

Basketball cannot afford to become like a Alabama pro-style football offense if they want to keep fans coming in. Basketball should be freer and more fast flowing. Hoop players should be able to put some points up in less than 30 seconds if they want to keep fans paying to see a sport they love to play.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

I would STRONGLY support a shot clock in both the boys and girls games. Even if it's 30 or 35 seconds like the NCAA, it would still make the games, girls' especially, more exciting and competitive. I was watching what I remember to be a girls' state championship game several seasons ago and the winning team stalled the entire 2nd half. It was ridiculous and frustrating for players and fans alike. Even the TV announcers seemed to be getting irritated.
Last edited by bandits1 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

unpaid wrote: Basketball cannot afford to become like a Alabama pro-style football offense if they want to keep fans coming in.

unpaid, in my bias opinion being a kahuku alum and havingprobably the most boring football offense in the history of american football and assuming that you are trying to elude to the newer exciting spread offenses that are taking over in college football..i prefer the alabama/NFL style where the big 300 lbs lineman are just as crucial to teams success as the 180 pound fast receiver

oregon and chip kelly should create their own sport and call it flag football where you dont need big strong linemen, just 11 speedy gonzales, and then 10yrs down the road some other coach would come along and evolve it even more and all of a sudden we be watching eleven 5'8" 120lbs men running around in tights (soccer anyone?)
-------------------

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The subject is hoops not football. I did not bring up Kahuku football,you did.

The point is that basketball dies when you try to slow it down. Not just for the players,but for attendance too.

I did unfortunatly try to draw a parallel with Alabama football,in the sense that Coach Nick Saban did try to get the NCAA to consider stopping no-huddle offenses because they would harm players with the continuous uptempo play..

I just happen to think that basketball needs a shot clock. Do not see how that implies disrepect to Kahuku football ,especially since I nevah mentioned them.

Since you are apparently afraid that Oregons style of football is going to lead to 5-8 120 pounders running around on the football fields.let us take a look at a few of the Ducks who steamrolled Florida State. Marcus Mariota. 6-4 225 Heisman Trophy winner.
6-7 DeForrest Buckner on the D-Line and another mainland player who was 6-8. Speed kills but if you are big and speedy,you can definitely win more games...football,hoops.any sport really.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

no disrespect taken im just bored and blabbering on

a alabama football team that utilizes the full 24 second clock between plays, which you consider a slow pace, is an equivilant to a basketball team that runs a set half court offense passing about 5 times before shooting as the shot clock runs down.

fast pace football = no huddle offense
fast pace basketball = fast breaks/fullcourt press

there is no comparison of basketballs stall offense to anything in football. if you were trying to say that alabama footballs slow pace is boring then that would be your opinion and not a fact because all the alabama fans and sec fans love that brand of football. just like oregon fans like the fast pace but a majority of the country that are more traditionalists of american football dont find it very appealing because its gimmicky and not the real brand that you find at the NFL level. i can understand where you are coming from though because norm chows prostyle offense is boring as heck while JJs spread had the state on fire a few years ago.

I met an australian couple last week on a honeymoon in waikiki, they just traveled the usa and stopped in oregon during the oregon/fl.state game and watched it in a bar. they both said it was so boring and didnt understand why the whole city was excited and why americans love american football (they said ausie rules football is way better).
-------------------

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

FishstickBoy wrote:What we need this year is a shot clock. How can you expect people to watch HS teams play if the games are as fun to watch as dogs licking their NUTZ!!!
Yup. Def agree about needing a shot clock.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

huki-lau-lau wrote:no disrespect taken im just bored and blabbering on

a alabama football team that utilizes the full 24 second clock between plays, which you consider a slow pace, is an equivilant to a basketball team that runs a set half court offense passing about 5 times before shooting as the shot clock runs down.

there is no comparison of basketballs stall offense to anything in football. if you were trying to say that alabama footballs slow pace is boring then that would be your opinion and not a fact because all the alabama fans and sec fans love that brand of football. just like oregon fans like the fast pace but a majority of the country that are more traditionalists of american football dont find it very appealing because its gimmicky and not the real brand that you find at the NFL level. i can understand where you are coming from though because norm chows prostyle offense is boring as heck while JJs spread had the state on fire a few years ago.

I met an australian couple last week on a honeymoon in waikiki, they just traveled the usa and stopped in oregon during the oregon/fl.state game and watched it in a bar. they both said it was so boring and didnt understand why the whole city was excited and why americans love american football (they said ausie rules football is way better).
Speaking of aussie rules football. I met a couple of Australian blokes last year who are into Rugby. The said aussie rules football is for the "less" manly men....lol...true story. imho, aussie rules football is one of the dumbest/craziest games ever invented in modern times.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

rrforlifebaby wrote:

Speaking of aussie rules football. I met a couple of Australian blokes last year who are into Rugby. The said aussie rules football is for the "less" manly men....lol...true story. imho, aussie rules football is one of the dumbest/craziest games ever invented in modern times.
Aussie rules is fudging awesome. That said, fudge Australians. They walk around like the fudging coolest people on the planet.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

There's a difference between a 35 second stall and a 50 second stall. There's a difference between knowing to have to find a shot and playing keep away until you feel good enough to take the shot.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

saynotomercs wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:

Aussie rules is fudging awesome. That said, fudge Australians. They walk around like the fudging coolest people on the planet.
and they say weird things in their cool accents that make them sound funny again. Heard one dude call pictures a "happy snap"

Hoopwaiian
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: s.f. giants
NBA: ALL
NFL: s.f. 49ers

Post by Hoopwaiian »

Clocks coming. Got to wait for some to see the light. Pahoa and Kohala on the Big Island are two teams that don't need a shotclock!

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Well,

Kalaheo has been playing pretty well...so maybe it is not a lock for an ILH state champion this year.
I know that a state tourney is special and there would be more than one ILH team..but would that be a guarantee this year?.... I am not so sure. Kahuku is intriguing to me this year....they have some height and skill...but three of those new players are Kiwi transfers....that could put the Red Raiders over the top when states rolls around if the newcomers can successfully integrate into the system.

That said ,Alika Smith is having a great year so far. Maybe there is no need for Kahuku to be a second OIA state champion possibility this year.

We shall see.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

High-school boys' basketball on Oahu is crazy this year. Currently, Kalaheo is ranked #1. Yet, McKinley blew them out in a pre-season tourney last month. Right now, McKinley isn't even ranked. Just last week, Punahou needed a dog-luck 3/4 court heave-shot to beat St Louis by 1 point at the buzzer. Punahou was ranked #1 or #2 at that time. This week, St Louis was ranked #2, I believe, yet Kamehameha beat them two nights ago, and Kamehameha isn't ranked.

Personally, I would prefer to see Kalaheo win it all, rather than Punahou. Yet, Punahou could win it. But, you can't rule-out St Louis; they led the entire game against Punahou, until that dog-luck heave at the buzzer. Kahuku is also very good, but I don't think they're good enough to win it all. Kamehameha? Too inconsistent, and not enough offense. They're a defense-oriented team, so they must have beaten St Louis with defense.