Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

mistatee wrote:I've been reading these hating posts on Iolani year after year from all of those haters. As it has been pointed out, academics comes first at Iolani. Some may argue even too much so. I am an alumnus and my daughter an alumnus. What many don't understand is being the "Best" Athletic school in Hawaii isn't what is most important at Iolani. Of course winning is important to most everyone. No one likes losing. But winning at all costs is not what Iolani is about. If it was, then the football team would sure look a lot different than it does now. Has anyone ever noticed that when the Iolani football team takes off it's helmets, the boys look like the rest of the school? Unlike some other teams that we won't mention to protect the innocent. You get to see all those "nerds" , many of whom have been at Iolani since Kindergarten. Not a bunch of Polynesian kids recruited from middle school. Are there some? Sure, a few. The beauty of Iolani football is how they can come together and win year after year with what they have. Typically undersized oriental kids with a few studs in there, playing as a team, "One Team". Too bad they never get props for what they accomplish with what they have, a bunch of smart, dedicated, and disciplined kids. Coach does a great job adjusting to the strengths and weaknesses of the team. We are not blessed with the size and speed of the other teams. Those of you who think that Iolani should just recruit bigger kids and play D1 just don't understand. Those who think if Iolani goes to D1, the kids will come, just don't understand. The fact is most, and I am not saying all, but most 6'3" 300lb. linemen won't be able to cut it at Iolani. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that big kids are dumb, but the fact is, that is not your typical Iolani student. Fortunately, every several years, we may be blessed with one, but usually only one. Unlike other schools, Iolani hasn't, and I hope never will, lower its academic standards in order to have "better" athletes. We are constantly reminded by the beatings we get from the ILH D1 schools that we are not a D1 school. Sure, every once in a while we take one here and there, but it is more the exception than the rule. What these kids are able to accomplish with some speed, intelligence, and good coaching should be used as an example of what a team can do without the "Superstars" of other teams. I think it is awesome that practically any kid who wants to play football at Iolani, would most likely make the team . I would probably guess that the chances of making the Varsity team is probably as good as or better than most any high school in Hawaii. And if they are half way decent, they will probably get to play. I have friends at both public and private schools who's kids couldn't even make the Varsity team even though they have been at the school for years. For those who hate Iolani, this won't change your mind. But for those who believe those "Al Bundys" out there, maybe will get a little better perspective.

Aloha all!
This is a fair post, but as you said, it wouldn't change my mind or that of soleu, saynotomercs, HS Football Fanatic, or the many other users here that believe Iolani is a D1 team. They certainly aren't--performance-wise--in the same league as the likes of Damien, Pac-Five, or St. Francis. I think those programs do as good of a job as Iolani of forming cohesiveness and playing with a purpose--they just haven't been as lucky. It also says something when the ILH itself urges Iolani to move up, as does it say something when their coach throws a hissy fit about that and makes excuses. mistatee, I appreciate your humility (for the most part--could've done without the One Team mantra that makes Iolani grads look arrogant), willingness to debate, and attempt to help us see your point of view, but as I said earlier, the number of reasons Iolani should be in D1 outweigh the number of reasons they should stay in D2.

Also, you can bet that as long as Iolani stays in D2, threads and posts like the ones you've seen about them this past decade will continue to pop up. Maybe Iolani backers like that even though it brings them negative attention and, in the eyes of others, gives them a bad reputation. Paul Honda might be the only person not associated with Iolani who supports their presence in D2. Arguing with him is like arguing with a wall.

And if you must know, I've got no connections to Punahou (besides some close friends) and sent my kids to a really decent school. I haven't got an opinion on Punahou either way, although it leans more toward positive than negative. Why have my posts toward Iolani been so negative? Their football team gives the whole school a bad reputation. They do a disservice to the DECENT, humble, considerate, nice people that happen to graduate from Iolani. Some of my closest friends are Iolani alums who find it discouraging that Iolani is stooping this low (remember, these friends graduated around the time Donny Mateaki, Joe Igber and Ed Ta'amu did and watched those teams have constant success against Punahou, nip Kamehameha here and there, and give St. Louis one of its biggest challenges of the season when it was in the midst of Prep Bowl success). Another claims that Iolani loves being the big fish in the small pond and having more resources (and recruiting success) than other teams. I tend to believe him more than I believe people who urge Iolani "haters" to stop urging Iolani to play D1. And last but not least, there is an Iolani parent who makes me lose my focus sometimes because he is one of the most despicable human beings you'll ever meet. I know that he does not represent all of Iolani (and isn't even a graduate of the school) but he is the personification of hypocrisy, as well as egotism, inconsideration, and condescension. The dude thinks his opinion on football is the only one that matters and makes Paul Honda seem willing to take opinions that differ from his. I wouldn't shed a tear if somebody ruined his life beyond repair. Sometimes he makes me forget about my Iolani friends. But enough of that. I like that lots of people share my opinion and will continue to call Iolani out on its asterisk "championships" and unfair presence in D2.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
mistatee wrote:I've been reading these hating posts on Iolani year after year from all of those haters. As it has been pointed out, academics comes first at Iolani. Some may argue even too much so. I am an alumnus and my daughter an alumnus. What many don't understand is being the "Best" Athletic school in Hawaii isn't what is most important at Iolani. Of course winning is important to most everyone. No one likes losing. But winning at all costs is not what Iolani is about. If it was, then the football team would sure look a lot different than it does now. Has anyone ever noticed that when the Iolani football team takes off it's helmets, the boys look like the rest of the school? Unlike some other teams that we won't mention to protect the innocent. You get to see all those "nerds" , many of whom have been at Iolani since Kindergarten. Not a bunch of Polynesian kids recruited from middle school. Are there some? Sure, a few. The beauty of Iolani football is how they can come together and win year after year with what they have. Typically undersized oriental kids with a few studs in there, playing as a team, "One Team". Too bad they never get props for what they accomplish with what they have, a bunch of smart, dedicated, and disciplined kids. Coach does a great job adjusting to the strengths and weaknesses of the team. We are not blessed with the size and speed of the other teams. Those of you who think that Iolani should just recruit bigger kids and play D1 just don't understand. Those who think if Iolani goes to D1, the kids will come, just don't understand. The fact is most, and I am not saying all, but most 6'3" 300lb. linemen won't be able to cut it at Iolani. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that big kids are dumb, but the fact is, that is not your typical Iolani student. Fortunately, every several years, we may be blessed with one, but usually only one. Unlike other schools, Iolani hasn't, and I hope never will, lower its academic standards in order to have "better" athletes. We are constantly reminded by the beatings we get from the ILH D1 schools that we are not a D1 school. Sure, every once in a while we take one here and there, but it is more the exception than the rule. What these kids are able to accomplish with some speed, intelligence, and good coaching should be used as an example of what a team can do without the "Superstars" of other teams. I think it is awesome that practically any kid who wants to play football at Iolani, would most likely make the team . I would probably guess that the chances of making the Varsity team is probably as good as or better than most any high school in Hawaii. And if they are half way decent, they will probably get to play. I have friends at both public and private schools who's kids couldn't even make the Varsity team even though they have been at the school for years. For those who hate Iolani, this won't change your mind. But for those who believe those "Al Bundys" out there, maybe will get a little better perspective.

Aloha all!
This is a fair post, but as you said, it wouldn't change my mind or that of soleu, saynotomercs, HS Football Fanatic, or the many other users here that believe Iolani is a D1 team. They certainly aren't--performance-wise--in the same league as the likes of Damien, Pac-Five, or St. Francis. I think those programs do as good of a job as Iolani of forming cohesiveness and playing with a purpose--they just haven't been as lucky. It also says something when the ILH itself urges Iolani to move up, as does it say something when their coach throws a hissy fit about that and makes excuses. mistatee, I appreciate your humility (for the most part--could've done without the One Team mantra that makes Iolani grads look arrogant), willingness to debate, and attempt to help us see your point of view, but as I said earlier, the number of reasons Iolani should be in D1 outweigh the number of reasons they should stay in D2.

Also, you can bet that as long as Iolani stays in D2, threads and posts like the ones you've seen about them this past decade will continue to pop up. Maybe Iolani backers like that even though it brings them negative attention and, in the eyes of others, gives them a bad reputation. Paul Honda might be the only person not associated with Iolani who supports their presence in D2. Arguing with him is like arguing with a wall.

And if you must know, I've got no connections to Punahou (besides some close friends) and sent my kids to a really decent school. I haven't got an opinion on Punahou either way, although it leans more toward positive than negative. Why have my posts toward Iolani been so negative? Their football team gives the whole school a bad reputation. They do a disservice to the DECENT, humble, considerate, nice people that happen to graduate from Iolani. Some of my closest friends are Iolani alums who find it discouraging that Iolani is stooping this low (remember, these friends graduated around the time Donny Mateaki, Joe Igber and Ed Ta'amu did and watched those teams have constant success against Punahou, nip Kamehameha here and there, and give St. Louis one of its biggest challenges of the season when it was in the midst of Prep Bowl success). Another claims that Iolani loves being the big fish in the small pond and having more resources (and recruiting success) than other teams. I tend to believe him more than I believe people who urge Iolani "haters" to stop urging Iolani to play D1. And last but not least, there is an Iolani parent who makes me lose my focus sometimes because he is one of the most despicable human beings you'll ever meet. I know that he does not represent all of Iolani (and isn't even a graduate of the school) but he is the personification of hypocrisy, as well as egotism, inconsideration, and condescension. The dude thinks his opinion on football is the only one that matters and makes Paul Honda seem willing to take opinions that differ from his. I wouldn't shed a tear if somebody ruined his life beyond repair. Sometimes he makes me forget about my Iolani friends. But enough of that. I like that lots of people share my opinion and will continue to call Iolani out on its asterisk "championships" and unfair presence in D2.
I think the bottom line here is that many people are annoyed that Iolani is hiding behind D2 in football. People are saying: "Look, before '03 (or whenever the D1 / D2 classification system went into effect), Iolani played football against the ILH's "Big 3" on a full schedule, and had been doing that for decades. So, why has Iolani insisted on hiding behind D2 for the past 10 years or so?" I suspect people are a little annoyed that Iolani dominated D2 for the most part for the past 10 years, when they think Iolani should really be in D1. I mean, no offense to Iolani, but all those state titles were only D2 titles. Therefore, those who dislike Iolani should be only annoyed rather than impressed. I think that would help keep things in perspective. I do understand that when a school you dislike wins any kind of title, it's annoying. But also remind yourselves that in Iolani's case--in football--it's only a D2 title. Iolani alumni, please don't be offended. There's another school on Oahu that almost certainly more people dislike than Iolani. Throughout this post, I've taken care not to use the word "hate," because I'm personally not comfortable with the thought of hating a high school. Kids go to high schools, and I'm not comfortable with the notion of hating kids. Is it possible to hate a high school, yet claim you don't hate the kids attending it? However, I perfectly understand if someone dislikes a high school; I understand and accept that such a feeling doesn't cross a line.