Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
kaypryd
High-quality H20 provider

Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Post by kaypryd »

With the blow out win last night , how much longer can you keep tooting your D2 Championship horn until it becomes a joke?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Post by huki-lau-lau »

what we need is more people like you and the other fans from lahainaluna and other d2 schools getting on here and making a fuss about it on blogs/forums/social media etc...

u ever notice that my salty balls about "high school recruiting" and "puns recruiting" posts seem to get into the newspaper and media? not saying im the reason but if more people talk and create a buzz then media will listen i think?

so far this football season i noticed
- oc16 website and commercials used to be way mililani and leilehua biased, now i seen a kahuku player being shown this year (thanks oc16dave)
- paul honda comes on here and what do u kno, he been writing about recruiting and transfers alot this past season in the star advertiser.

u d2 people need to keep the conversation or complaints going about what u think is wrong in your division back it up with facts/stories etc....and the media will pickup on it and maybe that will put pressure on iolani.

my 2cents
-------------------

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

Anyone who supports Iolani's presence in D2 can't provide a smart answer as to why they should remain a D2 team. This is a bigger injustice than Punahou or Mililani "monopolizing" the talent in the ILH and OIA because Iolani is the only team that's got it both ways. They recruit the most out of anybody in the state and feast on lesser competition. Somebody here suggested that they make a deal: stop recruiting and stay in D2 or move up and keep recruiting. I think that's a fair deal and would like to hear soleu's and HS FB Fanatic's opinion on this. Chances are, they'll agree with me.
huki-lau-lau wrote:what we need is more people like you and the other fans from lahainaluna and other d2 schools getting on here and making a fuss about it on blogs/forums/social media etc...

u ever notice that my salty balls about "high school recruiting" and "puns recruiting" posts seem to get into the newspaper and media? not saying im the reason but if more people talk and create a buzz then media will listen i think?

- oc16 website and commercials used to be way mililani and leilehua biased, now i seen a kahuku player being shown this year (thanks oc16dave)
- paul honda comes on here and what do u kno, he been writing about recruiting and transfers alot this past season in the star advertiser.

u d2 people need to keep the conversation or complaints going about what u think is wrong in your division back it up with facts/stories etc....and the media will pickup on it and maybe that will put pressure on iolani.

my 2cents
Honda knows there are people who want Iolani out of D2, tries to post reasons for them to stay, but can't post anything smart in defense of his opinion. HS FB Fanatic is much better at assessing things than Mr. Honda. And don't try to debate with SA users in the comments section about Iolani FB. It'll be easier to argue with a wall.
Last edited by FatherofCody&Casey on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaypryd

Post by kaypryd »

Iolani being in D2 doesnt bother me. It just seems as a self proclaimed powerhouse you would have moved on after all those D2 Championship titles!
I mean it becomes meaningless after a certain point! Kudos to Kaiser for following the natural progression after winning thier first D2 title and jumping up to the big boy league. Granted, Miano had a lot to do with it! But yeah I think you(Iolani) have ask yourself how long can you justify your program as being an elite program when youve been playing jv quality teams (other than the Kamehamehas, Punahos and St.Louis, in the ILH) Once in while you will face a good outer island team but that is getting farther and fewer inbetween with the Privates taking outer island kids as well. I think this is more an issue of if your satisfied with picking on little kids rather then putting on your big boy pants and stepping in the ring and taking your shot with the big boys! Hats off to Kaiser! They made some noise this year taking down Kahuku! Good for theiir program, i can see their program growing with young coaches like Torres and Higgins! Is Iolani ready to grow as a football program or ar they content with just being the big fish in a small pond! Knowing Wendall Look and his ego, I tend to chose the latter. JMHO! No take um deep!
Last edited by kaypryd on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

kaypryd wrote:Iolani being in D2 doesnt bother me. It just seems as a self proclaimed powerhouse you would have moved on after all those D2 Championship titles!
I mean it becomes meaningless after a certain point! Kudos to Kaiser for following the natural progression after winning thier first D2 title and jumping up to the big boy league. Granted, Miano had a lot to do with it! But yeah I think you(Iolani) have ask yourself how long can you justify your program as being an elite program when youve been playing jv quality teams (compared to the Kamehamehas, Punahos and St.Louis, in the ILH) Once in while you will face a good outer island team but that is getting farther and fewer inbetween with the Privates taking outer island kids as well. I think this is more an issue of if your satisfied with picking on little kids rather then putting on your big boy pants and stepping in the ring and taking your shot with the big boys! Hats off to Kaiser! They made some noise this year taking down Kahuku! Good for theiir program, i can see their program growing with young coaches like Torres and Higgins! Is Iolani ready to grow as a football program or ar they content with just being the big fish in a small pond! Knowing Wendall Look and his ego, I tend to chose the latter. JMHO! No take um deep!
Trust me, it is the latter. One of my friends that's an Iolani alum admits this and finds it embarrassing. Even if Iolani had 20 or so Kahuku-sized kids (which is what they are trying to recruit), they'd still insist on playing in D2. They like to call it a dynasty but I call it cheating. Because that's what it is.

kaypryd

Post by kaypryd »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
kaypryd wrote:Iolani being in D2 doesnt bother me. It just seems as a self proclaimed powerhouse you would have moved on after all those D2 Championship titles!
I mean it becomes meaningless after a certain point! Kudos to Kaiser for following the natural progression after winning thier first D2 title and jumping up to the big boy league. Granted, Miano had a lot to do with it! But yeah I think you(Iolani) have ask yourself how long can you justify your program as being an elite program when youve been playing jv quality teams (compared to the Kamehamehas, Punahos and St.Louis, in the ILH) Once in while you will face a good outer island team but that is getting farther and fewer inbetween with the Privates taking outer island kids as well. I think this is more an issue of if your satisfied with picking on little kids rather then putting on your big boy pants and stepping in the ring and taking your shot with the big boys! Hats off to Kaiser! They made some noise this year taking down Kahuku! Good for theiir program, i can see their program growing with young coaches like Torres and Higgins! Is Iolani ready to grow as a football program or ar they content with just being the big fish in a small pond! Knowing Wendall Look and his ego, I tend to chose the latter. JMHO! No take um deep!
Trust me, it is the latter. One of my friends that's an Iolani alum admits this and finds it embarrassing. Even if Iolani had 20 or so Kahuku-sized kids (which is what they are trying to recruit), they'd still insist on playing in D2. They like to call it a dynasty but I call it cheating. Because that's what it is.

sounds like theyre in their own little world haha
yeah well what can you do

kaypryd

Post by kaypryd »

huki-lau-lau wrote:what we need is more people like you and the other fans from lahainaluna and other d2 schools getting on here and making a fuss about it on blogs/forums/social media etc...

my 2cents

Mahalo for your 2cents!

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

kaypryd wrote:
FatherofCody&Casey wrote: Trust me, it is the latter. One of my friends that's an Iolani alum admits this and finds it embarrassing. Even if Iolani had 20 or so Kahuku-sized kids (which is what they are trying to recruit), they'd still insist on playing in D2. They like to call it a dynasty but I call it cheating. Because that's what it is.

sounds like theyre in their own little world haha
yeah well what can you do
True that. They know they can't win too often against the Big Three and need something to brag about to them (whenever any of the Big Three don't win, that is). As if that makes Iolani a better program all-time than any of the Big Three.

You should see what happens when an aspiring FB player turns down Iolani as well. The Iolani recruiter's response always is egotistical and arrogant (and full of sour grapes).

The ILH said they'd kick Iolani out of D2 if they won that part of the league again but apparently that's off the table.

95boyz

Post by 95boyz »

*dead horse*
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!

Leftfieldcoachlikeu

Post by Leftfieldcoachlikeu »

D2 is made for the Iolani and Lahaina's with small enrollments. D2 was not made for the PC's who have a large student body. If Iolani is not a D2 team, even though they have a small enrollment an will NEVER make it to states at D1, then you guys should be fighting for a D3.

While we're at it, lets hand out participation trophies. *music plays and everyone walks around the chairs. Music stops, everyone scrambles to find a seat and there is enough seats for everyone*

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:D2 is made for the Iolani and Lahaina's with small enrollments. D2 was not made for the PC's who have a large student body. If Iolani is not a D2 team, even though they have a small enrollment an will NEVER make it to states at D1, then you guys should be fighting for a D3.

While we're at it, lets hand out participation trophies. *music plays and everyone walks around the chairs. Music stops, everyone scrambles to find a seat and there is enough seats for everyone*
Meanwhile that excuse doesn't apply to Kahuku, Kaiser or Aiea right? You can recruit. Move to D1 and the talent will follow.

Iolani football and boys basketball is a cancer to Hawaii athletes. There would be more stories of success if Iolani did things the RIGHT way. You could be another bridge to get more talented kids to the next level but you keep making excuses in football and playing keep away instead of basketball on the hardwood.

D2, like the OIA white and blue back in the day, was made based on quality in Hawaii and not student body size. Everyone knows that. Those that look for excuses are just acting in ignorance.

Leftfieldcoachlikeu

Post by Leftfieldcoachlikeu »

soleu wrote:
Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:D2 is made for the Iolani and Lahaina's with small enrollments. D2 was not made for the PC's who have a large student body. If Iolani is not a D2 team, even though they have a small enrollment an will NEVER make it to states at D1, then you guys should be fighting for a D3.

Meanwhile that excuse doesn't apply to Kahuku, Kaiser or Aiea right? You can recruit. Move to D1 and the talent will follow.

Iolani football and boys basketball is a cancer to Hawaii athletes. There would be more stories of success if Iolani did things the RIGHT way. You could be another bridge to get more talented kids to the next level but you keep making excuses in football and playing keep away instead of basketball on the hardwood.

D2, like the OIA white and blue back in the day, was made based on quality in Hawaii and not student body size. Everyone knows that. Those that look for excuses are just acting in ignorance.

In the OIA, they would at least have a chance to go to states, there is more teams, but 3 spots. Would Iolani ever be the lone representative over Kam, Punahou, and St. Louis for the ILH?

Someone's got a personal gripe against Iolani. There's no need to take it on an anonymous user by calling them ignorant. What's next? Are you going to show me a picture of the middle finger?

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:
In the OIA, they would at least have a chance to go to states, there is more teams, but 3 spots. Would Iolani ever be the lone representative over Kam, Punahou, and St. Louis for the ILH?

Someone's got a personal gripe against Iolani. There's no need to take it on an anonymous user by calling them ignorant. What's next? Are you going to show me a picture of the middle finger?
With Iolani in the ILH, it could open up the At-Large seeds instead of byes.

That's my only gripe with Iolani. I'm not taking it out on you, just all who make up silly excuses on why the 149873 time D2 champs can't step up to the next level. We're supposed to make a whole new division for Iolani instead of having them tough it out in the division they belong in.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

#1, Iolani is not as small as they'd like you to believe. If anything, their enrollment is increasing.

And #2, soleu speaks the truth on this when he says
soleu wrote:Iolani football and boys basketball is a cancer to Hawaii athletes. There would be more stories of success if Iolani did things the RIGHT way. You could be another bridge to get more talented kids to the next level but you keep making excuses in football and playing keep away instead of basketball on the hardwood.
Iolani can take a page from Mater Dei, which isn't one of California's biggest schools but competes at the D1 level in the CIF. Their basketball team played at the D2 level and generated numerous complaints before finally growing the cajones to play at D1. Look what happened--their success at the D1 level attracted better athletes and helped them remain a contender at the D1 level. Maybe Iolani won't compete with Punahou, KS, and SL every year at the D1 level, but they'll never know if they don't try. And if you didn't know, several teams smaller than Iolani played the best in the past but never complained or cried about it.

95boyz

Post by 95boyz »

I know of a high-caliber HS football player that would have gone to Iolani had they been in D1. But instead, he went to... syke not telling!!! :bootyshake:
GO BIG RED WARRIORZ!!!