Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Should Iolani move up to D1 football?

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:I'm just commenting too. I think the negative attacks came from the Iolani haters, not me. Get mad at the rules, not for the team that the rules was made for. Get mad at whatever school you're cheering for for not having a better coaching staff. Some programs like to put more work in than others. Kauai teams is ahead of most of the Oahu d2 teams. Should they move up too? Why even have a d2 league if as soon as you get decent, you move up? Should we make it so Waipahu with 22 kids are a state champion? Should we give out participation medals?
Well, obviously the "Iolani haters" don't have the authority to change those rules, so forums like this are the next best alternative. I did mention in earlier posts that I don't particularly care for Iolani, but I don't hate them. I mean, when we talk about high schools, we're talking about kids, and I would like to think most of us as adults aren't encouraging hatred of the kids who attend this high school or that. I mean, if you hate their school, do you hate them, too? I think what the so-called "Iolani haters" are getting at is that while "the rules" may exist, shame on Iolani for taking advantage of those sort of rules. I guess it's like saying, while the law doesn't call for your arrest if you commit adultery, should you then commit it? I think a lot of the "Iolani haters" are mad at Iolani for staying in D2 in football. If you read my earlier posts, you would see that my position is, we don't have to get mad at that, because being in D2 is itself somewhat ignominious. I.e., while I'm not thrilled that Iolani won the D2 title, I nonetheless am not angry that they're in D2.

Then you say, "Why even have a D2 league?" And, I agree that there shouldn't be one. Let all schools aim high, and be D1. That's what they were all doing before '02 anyway, when the classification system was created. I.e., are some schools simply hiding behind D2? Are they using D2 as a crutch? And speaking of Waipahu, I think it's ironic that a school that has what I understand is the second-largest enrollment in the state--second only to Campbell's--should have so few players available on its football team, on any given week. That's yet another indication that a school's enrollment isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of whether it should be in D1 or D2.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:I'm just commenting too. I think the negative attacks came from the Iolani haters, not me. Get mad at the rules, not for the team that the rules was made for. Get mad at whatever school you're cheering for for not having a better coaching staff. Some programs like to put more work in than others. Kauai teams is ahead of most of the Oahu d2 teams. Should they move up too? Why even have a d2 league if as soon as you get decent, you move up? Should we make it so Waipahu with 22 kids are a state champion? Should we give out participation medals?
So the 3 Kauai teams that have no D2 state titles and have never beaten an ILH D1 team in recent history should go D1 but the 8-time football D2 champ that can recruit shouldn't? Scared. Keep making more irrelevant excuses.

Iolani is no where near "as soon as you get decent". Bruh, you've been killing the D2 for a decade already. Grow a pair.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

Keep in mind that the school's you mentioned don't recruit as much as Iolani does. Either stop recruiting, Iolani, or move up, as somebody else said. The rules shouldn't let Iolani recruit AT ALL if they choose to play D2. Iolani fans know they wouldn't win jack in football if they didn't recruit!

JetTrOpt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JetTrOpt »

I think the new ILH rule that they put in place a year ago was that if you win the league in back2back years in D2, you gotta move up. This goes for football, basketball, softball, baseball, everything. So guys like Saint Francis boys basketball and HBA boys volleyball cannot feast on the slim pickings.

as for Iolani, they gotta move up according to that rule. But this talk about D1 only play D1 and D2 only play D2 schedule that they thinking about is making this thing up in the air.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

JetTrOpt wrote:I think the new ILH rule that they put in place a year ago was that if you win the league in back2back years in D2, you gotta move up. This goes for football, basketball, softball, baseball, everything. So guys like Saint Francis boys basketball and HBA boys volleyball cannot feast on the slim pickings.

as for Iolani, they gotta move up according to that rule. But this talk about D1 only play D1 and D2 only play D2 schedule that they thinking about is making this thing up in the air.
I hope the first paragraph is true. Anyway, I hope an Iolani backer who supports their presence in D2 sees the question I'm about to ask: if MUCH smaller teams like Castle, Kailua, and Moanalua can handle life in D1, why can't you? I've never heard those teams cry about playing Kahuku, Farrington, Leilehua, or Mililani or make excuses to play D2 competition. If you can name a team that cries and makes excuses as much as Iolani, name it.

iolani4life
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iolani4life »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
JetTrOpt wrote:I think the new ILH rule that they put in place a year ago was that if you win the league in back2back years in D2, you gotta move up. This goes for football, basketball, softball, baseball, everything. So guys like Saint Francis boys basketball and HBA boys volleyball cannot feast on the slim pickings.

I hope the first paragraph is true. Anyway, I hope an Iolani backer who supports their presence in D2 sees the question I'm about to ask: if MUCH smaller teams like Castle, Kailua, and Moanalua can handle life in D1, why can't you? I've never heard those teams cry about playing Kahuku, Farrington, Leilehua, or Mililani or make excuses to play D2 competition. If you can name a team that cries and makes excuses as much as Iolani, name it.

To all the jealous haters, I love it that you have no concept on how to win. At Iolani winning is a tradition. The "1 Team" family believes that you can only get better by competing with the best football teams in Hawaii. Lahainaluna was the top team in the state going undefeated till the very end. It took a team effort on our part to beat the best to become the best. Just like our man and top alumni Kanoa Leahey says: Iolani, where tradition dominates the field.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

iolani4life wrote:

To all the jealous haters, I love it that you have no concept on how to win. At Iolani winning is a tradition. The
"1 Team" family believes that you can only get better by competing with the best football teams in Hawaii. Lahainaluna was the top team in the state going undefeated till the very end. It took a team effort on our part to beat the best to become the best. Just like our man and top alumni Kanoa Leahey says: Iolani, where tradition dominates the field.
Iolani is the best of the best Division 2 Team and like the saying goes the best Division 2 team is the WORST Division 1 Team (well usually Kaiser was pretty good this year mad respect for them) anyways give Iolani credit and let them pat themselves on the back for having 20 D2 titles and continue the tradition of being the D2 champion. At the end of the day you are only a DIVISION 2 high school football team so pump your brakes a little bit your only slightly better than most JV teams in my opinion....most but not all I beleive St Louis, Kamehameha, Punahou, Kahuku, Waianae, Campbell, Mililani, Farrington just to name a few all have JV programs that can beat Iolani's Varsity and until you move up I will always beleive that. Congratulations again on your continued success and your tradition of excellence!!! Mr. Honda loves you so at least there is that...

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

iolani4life wrote:

To all the jealous haters, I love it that you have no concept on how to win. At Iolani winning is a tradition. The "1 Team" family believes that you can only get better by competing with the best football teams in Hawaii. Lahainaluna was the top team in the state going undefeated till the very end. It took a team effort on our part to beat the best to become the best. Just like our man and top alumni Kanoa Leahey says: Iolani, where tradition dominates the field.
I have the feeling that if we made a 3rd division to cater to your cowardliness way, you guys would still fight to go to D3 to continue your winning traditions lol. You want respect but you don't want to go up and get it. You get what you work for.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

iolani4life wrote:To all the jealous haters, I love it that you have no concept on how to win. At Iolani winning is a tradition. The "1 Team" family believes that you can only get better by competing with the best football teams in Hawaii. Lahainaluna was the top team in the state going undefeated till the very end. It took a team effort on our part to beat the best to become the best. Just like our man and top alumni Kanoa Leahey says: Iolani, where tradition dominates the field.
What a joke of a comment. Not only did you not answer my question, you made Iolani look bad. Shouldn't you call yourselves "1 Team of Cowardly Cheaters" since you never earned ANY of the D2 championships you "won"? And jealous? Please. What is there to be jealous of? Oh, I really wish I had an ego as big as that of Coach Look's! A lot of people here have expressed disdain for the football teams at Punahou, St. Louis, and Kahuku. I've never heard any Punahou, St. Louis, or Kahuku fans leave comments like the one you did. Stop giving Iolani a bad name and tell Coach Look to do the same. It amazes me more people don't hate Iolani considering they cry the most and make the most excuses in football.
soleu wrote:I have the feeling that if we made a 3rd division to cater to your cowardliness way, you guys would still fight to go to D3 to continue your winning traditions lol. You want respect but you don't want to go up and get it. You get what you work for.
Amen.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

iolani4life wrote:

Well, please keep in mind that Lahainaluna was the top D2 team in the state, until Iolani beat them. I realize that tradition is important at Iolani, but tradition doesn't win football games. Mililani, for example, has less tradition than Iolani does, because it's a younger school than is Iolani. Yet, Mililani has the top D1 football team in the state.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

iolani4life wrote:To all the jealous haters, I love it that you have no concept on how to win. At Iolani winning is a tradition. The "1 Team" family believes that you can only get better by competing with the best football teams in Hawaii. Lahainaluna was the top team in the state going undefeated till the very end. It took a team effort on our part to beat the best to become the best. Just like our man and top alumni Kanoa Leahey says: Iolani, where tradition dominates the field.
What a joke of a comment. Not only did you not answer my question, you made Iolani look bad. Shouldn't you call yourselves "1 Team of Cowardly Cheaters" since you never earned ANY of the D2 championships you "won"? And jealous? Please. What is there to be jealous of? Oh, I really wish I had an ego as big as that of Coach Look's! A lot of people here have expressed disdain for the football teams at Punahou, St. Louis, and Kahuku. I've never heard any Punahou, St. Louis, or Kahuku fans leave comments like the one you did. Stop giving Iolani a bad name and tell Coach Look to do the same. It amazes me more people don't hate Iolani considering they cry the most and make the most excuses in football.
soleu wrote:I have the feeling that if we made a 3rd division to cater to your cowardliness way, you guys would still fight to go to D3 to continue your winning traditions lol. You want respect but you don't want to go up and get it. You get what you work for.
Amen.
Well, I hope that Look's ego isn't inflated by winning D2 championships. I mean, you haven't really arrived until you win D1 championships. Iolani has done it in football in the past under Hamada, most recently in '82, I think. It's been a while, but if Iolani did it then, they can do it now. Iolani really should go up to D1 in football.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

That's another thing that irks me about Iolani--their bragging about being a historically strong football program. Some Iolani backers think they've got a better history than Punahou in football, which is laughable. Last I checked, who leads the series 69-39-4 and owns 26 ILH championships (to your SIX)? Iolani, historically, can't even crack the top ten in terms of historical prestigiousness. They are well behind St. Louis, Kahuku, Waianae, Kamehameha, Punahou (who's got the second-highest # of ILH championships), Leilehua, Farrington, Waimea, Baldwin, and even schools like Kailua and Waipahu.

HS Football Fanatic, I suggest you not take Iolani4Lyfe's comment seriously. A decent Iolani supporter wouldn't claim that kind of BS, nor would he support Iolani's presence in D2. He'd agree with most of the people here!

iolani4life
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by iolani4life »

I'd like to thank all of the Iolani supporters. We look forward to having a dominating 2015 season and repeating as champions. At Iolani we understand that there are no shortcuts in football and most importantly life. You get out what you put in. We're already the most dominating academic institution bar none. I forsee a clean sweep in each sport we compete in. Whether it's bowling, air riflery, tennis or cheerleading Iolani will be always on top!

Thanks again to the Sports Hawaii ohana!

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

I dont think that any team should be forced to move up, if a team wants to stay D2 it really does not bother me at all

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

iolani4life wrote:I'd like to thank all of the Iolani supporters. We look forward to having a dominating 2015 season and repeating as champions. At Iolani we understand that there are no shortcuts in football and most importantly life. You get out what you put in. We're already the most dominating academic institution bar none. I forsee a clean sweep in each sport we compete in. Whether it's bowling, air riflery, tennis or cheerleading Iolani will be always on top!

Thanks again to the Sports Hawaii ohana!
Only time I recall the words "Iolani", "football", and "dominating" in the same sentence is when you use that infamous excuse.

If Iolani football moves up to D1, the big 3 will keep dominating us. lol