Ranking High School Football Uniforms (Top 10)

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Ranking High School Football Uniforms (Top 10)

Post by politclyincrekt »

We can rank teams by offensive yards, sacks, touchdowns, etc. But just like those things, uniforms are a important part of a team and a team's identity. Here are my Top 10 HHSAA football uniforms and logos:

10. Kapaa High School Warriors
The redesigned silver helmet and logo are very sleek. I don't know how I feel about the texture on the rest of the uniform, but the new metallic helmet design complements it well.

9. Aiea High School Na Ali'i
I've always had a soft spot for matted helmets and Aiea's matte green head gear are the only matted helmets in the state (besides McKinley). A modern helmet design and an old-school uniform put Aiea at #9 on my list.

8. Mililani High School Trojans
Moving away from the old, USC-esque Trojan to the current, modern helmet design is a great look for Mililani. I'm not sure how I feel about the yellow jerseys. The brown tops weren't nice either but I'm not too keen on the yellow.

7. Kahuku High School Red Raiders
This red with black sleeve uniform seems to have been around forever with a few minor tweaks. The large Indian head logo look a lot better than the "feathered K" too.

6. Kapolei High School Hurricanes
I'm not sure what the deal is with their home, away, and alternate uniforms, but their black uniforms are very good looking. Despite taking on the Jacksonville Jaguars' color scheme, Kapolei wears it well.

5. Moanalua High School Na Menehune
Before I put Moanalua's uniform on its high horse, I will say that I am not at all a fan of their black alternate jersey. That being said, the redesigned "M" logo and helmet have freshened up their look.

4. St. Louis School Crusaders
The Crusader logo is almost synonymous with Hawaii high school football and the red, white, and blue scheme isn't something that St. Louis has to change any time soon.

3. Punahou School Buffmblu
This one is more about color scheme than uniform design. The blue and yellow look (with the state famous "winged O" logo) make an otherwise simple, old fashioned design pop out among the rest.

2. McKinley High School Tigers
This is the Tigers' 3rd uniform redesign in as many years. The matte black helmet and Missouri Tigers-esque design and logo look good on the field. Let's hope the fresh design can freshen up the football team.

1. Kaiser High School Cougars
When I first saw this design, all I could say was "Yes." The flashy uniform and helmet design (complete with the paw on the front) go well with Kaiser's offense and just look plain good on the field.
Last edited by politclyincrekt on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Undftd
High-quality H20 provider

Re: Ranking High School Football Uniforms (Top 10)

Post by Undftd »

im shocked i think kaiser uniforms look disgusting, they just look too bright and out dated. Kapaa should be higher. also the 2012 Kahuku uniforms had to be the nicest of all time, scary when they were all battle red and black.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

I had a LOT of spare time today so I went ahead and redesigned some uniforms that I feel need to be freshened up (helmet redesigns weren't done, just jerseys, pants, and schemes):

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

fballnutbag

Post by fballnutbag »

If you watch a Kaiser game, there are sometimes 3 different uniforms. The ones in the picture, an Adidas one that looks similar, and the JV ones. My nephew said they give them away or the kids steal them, so that's why there are different uniforms! Crazy! Time for a complete set, now that they are Div1!

greenlightmeansgo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by greenlightmeansgo »

I was always a fan of Nanakuli's home uniform. The all black look is nice and sleek. Similar to McKinely's updated look. Although, I really dislike their away jersey. Really?! White jersey with black #s on black pants?! Where's the gold? Come on DOE!!! jkjk.

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

Yeah, Kapaa's unis are nice. Might be nicer with silver pants, though, less "monochrome". Mililani's unis are alright, but I liked last season's a little better I think. Brown and yellow aren't exactly nice colors to begin with so their options are pretty limited. Better than the old brown ones, though. St. Louis' and Punahou's are nice. And I might be biased but I really like Pearl City's home purple/black scheme.

...simple, no fancy stripes or color blocking on either the jersey or pants. They should apply the same simplicity to their away whites.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

fballnutbag wrote:If you watch a Kaiser game, there are sometimes 3 different uniforms. The ones in the picture, an Adidas one that looks similar, and the JV ones. My nephew said they give them away or the kids steal them, so that's why there are different uniforms! Crazy! Time for a complete set, now that they are Div1!
I should say. Even if they were still in D2, they should have a complete set. What an embarrassment to the school.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

greenlightmeansgo wrote:I was always a fan of Nanakuli's home uniform. The all black look is nice and sleek. Similar to McKinely's updated look. Although, I really dislike their away jersey. Really?! White jersey with black #s on black pants?! Where's the gold? Come on DOE!!! jkjk.

Well, it's not so much the DOE's fault as it is the school's. As far as I know, each school's AD signs off on the uniforms; the DOE itself isn't directly involved.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote:Yeah, Kapaa's unis are nice. Might be nicer with silver pants, though, less "monochrome". Mililani's unis are alright, but I liked last season's a little better I think. Brown and yellow aren't exactly nice colors to begin with so their options are pretty limited. Better than the old brown ones, though. St. Louis' and Punahou's are nice. And I might be biased but I really like Pearl City's home purple/black scheme.

...simple, no fancy stripes or color blocking on either the jersey or pants. They should apply the same simplicity to their away whites.
I'm not a Pearl City grad, but I think they should use either purple or white pants. Black isn't one of their school colors. (They're purple and white, of course).

bandits1
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by bandits1 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:I'm not a Pearl City grad, but I think they should use either purple or white pants. Black isn't one of their school colors. (They're purple and white, of course).
I'm a Pearl City grad and I don't really care too much either way. I didn't like when black became the "cool" trim color for lots of teams in all sports at all levels, all the way up to the pros, whether it was an official franchise/school color or not, but I've accepted it. Way back when I was attending PC, the colors used were strictly purple, white and yellow as a trim color. Maybe the nicest color-combo as far as football unis go came in the early 90s when they went purple, white and silver for a season or two -- I think even their baseball team has used that combo. They should do that again. Silver/gray is a pretty neutral color since I can't think of any school they're officially a color of.

Naue
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Naue »

I love Nanakuli's home colors too! But Nanakulis jerseys looks like t shirts... they have actual sleeves like shirts...making these boys use old jerseys is terrible. Try and catch up with the times will you.
Somebody tell their AD to get a clue. lol
"when they show you their true colors, believe them"

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

bandits1 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:I'm not a Pearl City grad, but I think they should use either purple or white pants. Black isn't one of their school colors. (They're purple and white, of course).
I'm a Pearl City grad and I don't really care too much either way. I didn't like when black became the "cool" trim color for lots of teams in all sports at all levels, all the way up to the pros, whether it was an official franchise/school color or not, but I've accepted it. Way back when I was attending PC, the colors used were strictly purple, white and yellow as a trim color. Maybe the nicest color-combo as far as football unis go came in the early 90s when they went purple, white and silver for a season or two -- I think even their baseball team has used that combo. They should do that again. Silver/gray is a pretty neutral color since I can't think of any school they're officially a color of.
Well, actually silver is one of Moanalua's official colors (they're blue and silver), and gray is one of Waialua's official colors (they're red and gray). But yeah, I don't know about using black when it's not one of the school's colors. Look at Moanalua, with their black jerseys and pants for their home uniform. And about 15 years ago or so, Kalani had black jerseys and pants for their home uniform, when their school colors are red and white.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

bandits1 wrote:
Black is a pretty powerful color to have on a uniform. The black trim doesn't bother me as much as schools going completely black without having that as part of their normal scheme (looking directly at you Moanalua and Kaimuki).

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

politclyincrekt wrote:
bandits1 wrote:
Black is a pretty powerful color to have on a uniform. The black trim doesn't bother me as much as schools going completely black without having that as part of their normal scheme (looking directly at you Moanalua and Kaimuki).
Yeah, Kaimuki had black jerseys and black pants, but that was about ten years ago. For the past several years, they've had the green jerseys and green pants, as they should. After all, their school colors are green and gold.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

Iolani needs updated uniforms