Iolani vs. Lahainaluna

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
bloodred
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Iolani vs. Lahainaluna

Post by bloodred »

Any predictions?

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Iolani vs. Lahainaluna

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

bloodred, I've got a question: Can Lahainaluna's defense stop Iolani? I think that's the biggest question about this game. Iolani's defense may not be the worst in the state but certainly won't stop Lahainaluna, so I think the only way Iolani can win is in a shootout, like two years ago. But Iolani's offense is as good as that of most D1 teams. I hope Lahainaluna wins and think they will.

Regardless of what happens, Iolani still will be a D1 team after Friday. If you think Iolani belongs in D2, you haven't seen them play and are wasting time making excuses on their behalf.

Martin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Martin »

Lahainaluna 36. Iolani 24. First of all both teams are sand baggers. Lahainaluna is the best D1 team on Maui. Iolani is #4 in the ILH. Lahaina is undefeated, having defensively blank Maui, the D1 State rep, twice. Until all hs football leagues can get together it will always have lopsided scores.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Martin, not sure what you mean by "until all hs football leagues can get together it will always have lopsided scores"? Football divisions on Maui are not based on the strength of the team, with D1 being the best teams and D2 being the best of the rest. Not sure what the criteria is for other leagues (assume its best vs rest), but the MIL uses enrollment to determine football divisions. Schools with 1000 or more students are considered D1. Schools with 999 or less are D2. They don't go by best team D1 and everyone else D2.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Lahainaluna 48 Iolani 14

Don't let the DII designation fool you, I watched a decent KS-Hawaii team get dismantled by the Luna's. Yes, a lot was due to game prep and scouting while KS-Hawaii's inexperience really showed, but their size and speed along with discipline and lots of experienced seniors will be hard to overcome.

You don't go undefeated in the MIL for three years straight without doing something right.

Martin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Martin »

MauiGuy wrote:Martin, not sure what you mean by "until all hs football leagues can get together it will always have lopsided scores"? Football divisions on Maui are not based on the strength of the team, with D1 being the best teams and D2 being the best of the rest. Not sure what the criteria is for other leagues (assume its best vs rest), but the MIL uses enrollment to determine football divisions. Schools with 1000 or more students are considered D1. Schools with 999 or less are D2. They don't go by best team D1 and everyone else D2.
Ok Maui Guy, got it. Rule on Oahu differ, a school like Kahuku has less then a 1000, but everyone knows they don't belong in D2.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Martin wrote:
MauiGuy wrote:Martin, not sure what you mean by "until all hs football leagues can get together it will always have lopsided scores"? Football divisions on Maui are not based on the strength of the team, with D1 being the best teams and D2 being the best of the rest. Not sure what the criteria is for other leagues (assume its best vs rest), but the MIL uses enrollment to determine football divisions. Schools with 1000 or more students are considered D1. Schools with 999 or less are D2. They don't go by best team D1 and everyone else D2.
Ok Maui Guy, got it. Rule on Oahu differ, a school like Kahuku has less then a 1000, but everyone knows they don't belong in D2.
That's the thing that never ceases to amaze me about Kahuku. They have a D2 enrollment, and have for years. Yet they're able to field a D1-level team every year, and a good one at that. I mean, they almost beat Punahou this past Saturday, and they probably would have, if not for that pass-interference against Punahou during the last minute of the game that wasn't called, yet everyone else in the stadium saw. I think that, student-for-student, Kahuku has to be the best football school in the state. I can't think of any school with a similar enrollment that can match Kahuku in football. And you can't say St Louis, because that's an all-boys' school. Therefore, you would have to multiply St Louis' enrollment by 2.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

I think the real unanswered question after the season is over is how Lahainaluna would do in the DI playoffs. Enrollment aside, they have a special team and anything less than a DII championship would be disappointing.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Martin wrote:
That's the thing that never ceases to amaze me about Kahuku. They have a D2 enrollment, and have for years. Yet they're able to field a D1-level team every year, and a good one at that. I mean, they almost beat Punahou this past Saturday, and they probably would have, if not for that pass-interference against Punahou during the last minute of the game that wasn't called, yet everyone else in the stadium saw. I think that, student-for-student, Kahuku has to be the best football school in the state. I can't think of any school with a similar enrollment that can match Kahuku in football. And you can't say St Louis, because that's an all-boys' school. Therefore, you would have to multiply St Louis' enrollment by 2.
Before Saturday, they were usually the FAVORITE against Punahou despite being much smaller.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Thanks, Martin. I wasn't sure if the rule was the same across the state or just unique to the MIL. Mahalo for the clarification.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Getreal$ wrote:I think the real unanswered question after the season is over is how Lahainaluna would do in the DI playoffs. Enrollment aside, they have a special team and anything less than a DII championship would be disappointing.
Since Lahainaluna already beat all the D1 schools on Maui, they would be in the D1 playoffs (if they were classified as such). I think they'd have an outside shot in the quarters, however wouldn't pass the semis. JMHO.

Martin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Martin »

MauiGuy wrote:
Getreal$ wrote:I think the real unanswered question after the season is over is how Lahainaluna would do in the DI playoffs. Enrollment aside, they have a special team and anything less than a DII championship would be disappointing.
Since Lahainaluna already beat all the D1 schools on Maui, they would be in the D1 playoffs (if they were classified as such). I think they'd have an outside shot in the quarters, however wouldn't pass the semis. JMHO.
Baldwin, semi final, 2006, Kahuku beats Baldwin on a last second 50 yard rb option pass. Final score 22-20. Kahuku then beats St.Louis 7-6 for the States. Do I think Baldwin could have gone all the way? Yes. Best outer island team hands down. The thing is you gotta expose your team to D1 speed. Keep knocking at the door till it opens. I think Lahainaluna has studs and will continue to field them. Playing Iolani will expose them to D1 plays and speed. I still favor Lahainaluna.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Martin wrote:
MauiGuy wrote:
Baldwin, semi final, 2006, Kahuku beats Baldwin on a last second 50 yard rb option pass. Final score 22-20. Kahuku then beats St.Louis 7-6 for the States. Do I think Baldwin could have gone all the way? Yes. Best outer island team hands down. The thing is you gotta expose your team to D1 speed. Keep knocking at the door till it opens. I think Lahainaluna has studs and will continue to field them. Playing Iolani will expose them to D1 plays and speed. I still favor Lahainaluna.
Martin, every year is different and a DII team like Lahainaluna as well as Big Island DII teams, play both DII and DI teams all season. Hilo gave Kahuku all they could handle while KS-Hawaii took Hilo into OT and demolished DI teams Kealakehe, Waiakea, and Keaau. Lahainaluna destroyed KS-Hawaii and from my observation, they could have competed at the DI level Statewide. Their size and speed is at the DI level and I would have loved to have seen them play a good DI team.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I think this year's Luna team could've done well in the D1 tourney. In any given year, any of the neighbor island schools can compete with the O'ahu big boys. But it really is a matter of being able to consistently field competitive teams.....Kahuku, Punahou, Mililani, St Louis, Leilehua, etc.

Back to the topic at hand, I like the Luna's in this one.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I have to go with Lahainaluna.They have a massive 0-line and good skill position players.They are overall bigger and stronger and faster than Iolani,in my opinion.The Lunas should wear Iolani down.To me,Iolani is vulnerable to teams with strong lines and a good running game like Kauai had last year when they defeated Iolani. I think Lahainaluna 2014 is better than Kauai 2013.We shall see.