Life Champion Senior Bowl

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
budsdad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Life Champion Senior Bowl

Post by budsdad »

Can anyone explain what this game is all about? It's taking place on the Big Island, right? Is it taking the place of the senior bowl held on Oahu? Are participants selected by coaches or media? I heard the kids gotta do a fund raiser, so is it a "pay to play" game? Are the Oahu players expected to pay their own way to the game? Will there be college scouts there?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Life Champion Senior Bowl

Post by Getreal$ »

My understanding is that this Bowl was initially supposed to be only for outer Island seniors, since Oahu had their own Bowl for their seniors. However, I heard the Oahu Bowl was cancelled so now I heard they are inviting Oahu players as well. Not sure how this all works out but yes, players need to do some fundraising to pay for the cost of renting equipment and for their jerseys. Again, this is only what I've been told.

budsdad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by budsdad »

so will Oahu's top seniors, selected by coaches and media, take on the top neighbor Island seniors?

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

I'm mot sure how it will play out. To answer your earlier question about how kids are selected, I believe the senior needed to be nominated and a highlight video submitted and someone from PIAA sends an acceptance email or letter. Who selects them? I don't know. But I think its kind of by name and word of mouth on who the good players are that should play in this game. Just to be clear though, this was supposed to be just neighbor island seniors but since the Oahu Bowl got cancelled, they opens it up to Oahu.

budsdad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by budsdad »

Mahalo!

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Okay I was just notified that the Life Champion Senior Bowl roster was released yesterday. I had a chance to look it over and apparently the once "Neighbor Island Bowl" has turned into a predominantly Oahu Bowl with a few token outer Island kids. Funny how this was and still is being sold as an exposure game for kids from the outer Islands, because they don't get the exposure like the Oahu schools do, but look at the roster, three from Honokaa, five from KS-Hawaii, two from Ka'u, one from Konawaena, and eight from Hilo........19 out of 90 kids from the Big Island? Yes, there are a handful from Kauai, Maui, and Lanai as well. But my question to the organizer is how much kids were rejected from the outer Islands after it was confirmed that the Oahu Bowl was canceled and they decided to open invitations to Oahu?

I'm guessing their college draw and ticket sales weren't up to par without bringing in some Oahu talent. I don't have a problem with it, just don't give kids on the outer Islands false hopes of playing in a game with the possibility of being recognized, only to reject them.

budsdad
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by budsdad »

Call me the eternal skeptic but I don't think anyone has ever been "discovered" at a game like this. Their body of work throughout the last to seasons is what will do it. Seems to me that having players self-nominate themselves (pretty much), sell a bunch of stuff, and then pay their own way to the Big Island, and then expect hundreds (?) of coaches to watch the game online (a static camera that only shows the action part of a play) isn't going to give the exposure kids and parents are expecting. I'm just saying, don't expect the phone to be ringing off the hook by calls from colleges. Someone is making money off of this ...

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

budsdad wrote:Call me the eternal skeptic but I don't think anyone has ever been "discovered" at a game like this. Their body of work throughout the last to seasons is what will do it. Seems to me that having players self-nominate themselves (pretty much), sell a bunch of stuff, and then pay their own way to the Big Island, and then expect hundreds (?) of coaches to watch the game online (a static camera that only shows the action part of a play) isn't going to give the exposure kids and parents are expecting. I'm just saying, don't expect the phone to be ringing off the hook by calls from colleges. Someone is making money off of this ...
I heard a bunch of players 30-40 were invited to play on an all star team that will be going to Washington to play in the Tanoa Bowl in late December. I don't beleive that team is affiliated with the bowl game in Hilo but at least the boys have one last chance to play high school ball..

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

budsdad wrote:Call me the eternal skeptic but I don't think anyone has ever been "discovered" at a game like this. Their body of work throughout the last to seasons is what will do it. Seems to me that having players self-nominate themselves (pretty much), sell a bunch of stuff, and then pay their own way to the Big Island, and then expect hundreds (?) of coaches to watch the game online (a static camera that only shows the action part of a play) isn't going to give the exposure kids and parents are expecting. I'm just saying, don't expect the phone to be ringing off the hook by calls from colleges. Someone is making money off of this ...
Exactly!!

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JUS_another_brotha »

This game in Hilo is just a basic friendly game with no meaning.

Washington?

Some kids are headed to Washington this Dec to play against an All Star team from Washington. Kids are saying the rivals.com and other recruiting schools are gonna be there. Names like Milton, Kesi ah hoy, Tua,Vae, Bantolina, etc.. Are expected to play. Now that is an all star game to play in because it still gives those seniors a chance for someone to look at them. Whoever is running this game is way ahead of the game.

JetTrOpt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JetTrOpt »

I heard aunty Doris and PIAA are running it. Nothing but good things are said about those people. I think PIAA was in position to fold couple years ago due to lack of money. I really doubt people making money off of this thing.

The bowl is more for an opportunity to showcase themselves for college scouts that should hopefully be in attendance. The format is going to be more like the senior bowl for college players and there's going to be a draft like the NFL pro bowl I've been told.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

JetTrOpt wrote:I heard aunty Doris and PIAA are running it. Nothing but good things are said about those people. I think PIAA was in position to fold couple years ago due to lack of money. I really doubt people making money off of this thing.

The bowl is more for an opportunity to showcase themselves for college scouts that should hopefully be in attendance. The format is going to be more like the senior bowl for college players and there's going to be a draft like the NFL pro bowl I've been told.
I agree if Doris is running this game then it is 100% legit and for the kids IMHO she works hard for the kids of this state and nothing but good has come from PIAA and her efforts.

kaypryd
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by kaypryd »

Anybody know the reason why there isnt a HUB Allstar game this year? Just wondering.

bran7958
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bran7958 »

Lol I'm going to guess that the first few comments I read regarding this senior bowl game in Hilo are from individuals who don't know anybody in the game and definitely don't have a an athlete of their own participating. To say the game means nothing and won't draw scouts and/or coaches is pretty offensive to me. Or, the last 2 years of a high school career should've proved if an athlete is good enough....?! So if you had an athlete who got invited, is that what you would sit him down and tell him? Critics who have no credentials in a subject really irk me. On a more encouraging note, Good luck to all the participants in this year's Life Champion Senior Bowl!

leadership
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by leadership »

bran7958 wrote:Lol I'm going to guess that the first few comments I read regarding this senior bowl game in Hilo are from individuals who don't know anybody in the game and definitely don't have a an athlete of their own participating. To say the game means nothing and won't draw scouts and/or coaches is pretty offensive to me. Or, the last 2 years of a high school career should've proved if an athlete is good enough....?! So if you had an athlete who got invited, is that what you would sit him down and tell him? Critics who have no credentials in a subject really irk me. On a more encouraging note, Good luck to all the participants in this year's Life Champion Senior Bowl!
Dude those comments are from LAST YEAR when no one knew what was going on. SMH