STAR ADVERTISER ALL-STAR 2014 PREDICTION

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
bodantora
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: STAR ADVERTISER ALL-STAR 2014 PREDICTION

Post by bodantora »

Yeah but ILH D2 plays against St. Louis, Punahou, Kamehameha and Iolani. And he smoked all those teams. Should be in consideration since PAC 5 played a tougher schedule than most D1 programs.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

bodantora wrote:Yeah but ILH D2 plays against St. Louis, Punahou, Kamehameha and Iolani. And he smoked all those teams. Should be in consideration since PAC 5 played a tougher schedule than most D1 programs.
The first part of this statement "he smoked all those teams" is utter nonsense...that being said he is a good receiver he deserved to be an all ILH player and Mr. Honda loves the guy so I predict he makes at least the second team in the Star Advertiser and Scoringlive's all Hawaii team. For me the All Star Teams that really matter are the teams that already came out. Those are chosen by the coaches not by a bunch reporters that have never played or coached high school football ie Star Advertiser/Hawaii Prep World & Scoringlive. Those sites are an excellent source for stats and feel good story telling that's about it.

The kid got recognized by the people that matter, the people that coached him and coached against him and by putting him on the first team it shows that they respect him and his game regardless of stats.

The only time I have seen the coaches get it totally wrong was last years Division 2 All Star Team when they robbed the kids from Kaiser and did not put a single kid from that team on the D2 first team. They even gave the Coach of the year to the Pearl City coach instead of Miano from Kaiser, but that is another story...

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Offensive philosophy of throwing the ball 97% of the time does help a receiver and QB log lots of stats. Can you imagine what kind of stats Kanawai Noa would have if they threw the ball 97% of the time? Yes, PAC-FIVE played ILH DI teams but we all know those teams pulled their starters after the first half so stats are put up against reserves. I agree he is a good receiver and oh boy does Honda love this kid, so he will be a high selection.

Newguy- to your point about the reporters, yes, if you live on the Big Island you scratch your head reading articles and how they talk about kids. Kona kids and HPA kids are talked about as being the best on the Island yet they didn't do squat this year. Ellis-Noa, Ellis, Howes, Pelleschi brothers.........will be All-stars while others deserving will be left off. It's truly a joke.

JetTrOpt
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JetTrOpt »

The OIA Red/D1 coaches league all stars do it the best. They always seem to go to who is the most deserving players. ILH is more political to me. The way how the Offensive and defensive player of the years are not among the first team is what Im taking about. Lacaden getting DPOY last year cracked me up. This year was also weird with Tsubasa Brennan getting that made up UTIL award instead of being listed as a receiver.

Big Island too is kind of questionable. Sometimes I've seemed 7 receivers and 7 OL listed one the first team. Maui and Kauai get so little bit teams so cannot really question em.

I think the main point for Star Advertiser's all-state and Scoringlive all-Hawaii teams is just to see where everyone compares on a league scale. Coaches supposedly votes in the paper's teams and scoringlive apparently consults with coaches so there's that.

bodantora
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bodantora »

I agree about the Utility award for Brenna but I think the kid fits the bill. The few games that I watched he played WR, FS, CB, P, Wildcat QB, KR and he held the ball on field goals. So he probably fit that.

We'll see how it pans out. Lots of deserving players out there. But I think the solution is probably to separate them to D1 and D2 teams. Especially next year when the ILH D2 probably won't be playing D1 teams.

BullNuts808
Pine rider
Pine rider
MLB: the off season

Post by BullNuts808 »

Getting away from the "pretty boys" of football and to the "big uglys" Sorry I'm biased. Love these guys.

1st Team OL
STL Ulu Perry (technique-wise he is unmatched)
PUN Uluave - (solid size, good technic & under-rated)
MIL Agasiva (this guy is all power, I am always amazed with this kid's natural physicality he's a bull)
YNAE Mauga (quick feet, good technique)
KAH Uluave (strong, versatile)

personal choice: I liked STL C Leleo (good OL technique and leadership skills)

DAMIEN Kauwenaole (strong; smart but plays both ways severely limiting his true potential)
IOLANI Borden (good technique, quick, but needs to fill-out at next level)
NANAKULI Tuiloma (quick, powerful) or Wong (great technician) tied
KAPAA Ah Loo (good size; good potential) reminds me of Hatchie

As a OL enthusiast, not going thru the top 5 DL but I thought Tafua was the best D-lineman this year and forgive me for saying this but I thought Fehoko and Kaumatule were severely overrated. Read a lot about them in the preseason and was extremely excited and happy for their success so far as their exposure on most of the mainland recruiting sites. Believe me I am all for the local athletes. But watched a good number of their games and did not see anything extraordinary. Aside from playing away from the strong side where the better OL play, Kaumatule showed a lack of versatility over-using the bull-rush technique and Fehoko was great at the beginning of the game then got gassed after the first series. Both need to up their game to play at the next level or pay the consequences.

GetNutz808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by GetNutz808 »

O-Line should be
Ulu Perry- Saint Louis
Uluave-Punahou
Agasiva- Mililani
Mauga- Waianae
V.Auwae- Kapolei

I know that the last two O-line men didn't have a good season but individually look at there highlights. They have great technique and know how to use there long limbs. They are both Derby products and really nasty. That's the only Weat side players I gotta give it up to. Especially the only linemen from Kapolei since they were all hype at the beginning of the season.