New OIA Transfer Rule Goes Into Effect Next School Year

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: New OIA Transfer Rule Goes Into Effect Next School Year

Post by rrforlifebaby »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
IMO, that's not abusing the system. As a father of an athlete, I feel it's good to have options. I'm serious about holding back a child. If I held back my daughter, she'd be one year older than her peers when she's recruited for college soccer. Also serious about club soccer being bigger than ILH soccer.
ILH soccer recruits their players from the clubs. just like every other sport.

club soccer in hawaii is huge and is the feeder platform for all the best high school programs in the state, you need to focus your time-n-efforts to making your child be the best player on her club rather then what high school is best for her. some of the best girl/boy soccer players dont even play high school soccer because they got their exposure and their college offers while playing club.

if your child is not a standout on her club then high school is not going to do anything for her.

Aiea high school has a good girls soccer program and that coach also coaches a club soccer team, he will tell you (club > highschool), he does invite his best players on the club to come play for him at Aiea if they havent already been invited to punahou or iolani etc..

bottom line is...if your child is good she will get noticed and now a days there are tons of resources for parents to use. if you are using high school transfer rules as a complaint to why your child isnt getting exposure then you are the failure and not the DOE.
yup

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

rrforlifebaby wrote:You really didn't disprove my point. Fact, both kids played at Waialua. Fact, both kids are or were starters at their respective D1 schools.
Fact, there are other options besides transferring to another school, ie camps.

But in the end, parents will do what they feel is best...nothing wrong with that.
Really agree with your last statement. But for us, our daughter has to buy in to what we decide or it's not happening. In the end, she has the final say so.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
IMO, that's not abusing the system. As a father of an athlete, I feel it's good to have options. I'm serious about holding back a child. If I held back my daughter, she'd be one year older than her peers when she's recruited for college soccer. Also serious about club soccer being bigger than ILH soccer.
ILH soccer recruits their players from the clubs. just like every other sport.

club soccer in hawaii is huge and is the feeder platform for all the best high school programs in the state, you need to focus your time-n-efforts to making your child be the best player on her club rather then what high school is best for her. some of the best girl/boy soccer players dont even play high school soccer because they got their exposure and their college offers while playing club.

if your child is not a standout on her club then high school is not going to do anything for her.

Aiea high school has a good girls soccer program and that coach also coaches a club soccer team, he will tell you (club > highschool), he does invite his best players on the club to come play for him at Aiea if they havent already been invited to punahou or iolani etc..

bottom line is...if your child is good she will get noticed and now a days there are tons of resources for parents to use. if you are using high school transfer rules as a complaint to why your child isnt getting exposure then you are the failure and not the DOE.
I would have believed IHL schools recruited soccer players from clubs but my daughter was on the best girls team in the State from about eight years old until twleve (seventh grade), and no one was "recruited" by ILH schools. She was on a team that I believe nine or ten of them are going to be D1 prospects. I also agree that HS soccer isn't as big as club soccer, even ILH. You got me thinking. Why spend so much time, effort and money moving into Moanalua's district just for HS soccer? It's more important which club she's in. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aiea coach doesn't recruit his players to his club team.

Good soccer players will get noticed. But not from HS soccer. They'll get noticed from showcases.
I am the one who knocks.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

If the OIA/DOE is going to penalize kids sportwise for moving schools, that means they are trying to force kids to stay at schools.

Fine. Then the OIA/DOE needs to provide equally good coaches, facilities and competence across the board.

To the extent they don't do that, they should be amenable to, and subject to complaint and public pressure for failure to do so.

Better deliver, OIA/DOE. If you're going to institute policy confining people, you'd better deliver.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

twnoexcuses wrote:If the OIA/DOE is going to penalize kids sportwise for moving schools, that means they are trying to force kids to stay at schools.

Fine. Then the OIA/DOE needs to provide equally good coaches, facilities and competence across the board.
kahukus coaches over the years was not the reason they won state titles (siuaki couldnt read english-reggie couldnt read a playbook. jk, lol), it was the pride of the kids and community that allowed the team to unite and play focused. something the DOE has no control over. we hate the OIA just as much as the other guy but crying about it aint going to help. nowdays everyone wants instant gratification, "i hate this school so next year i will be playing for that other school" that is what you call bad apple in the bunch and what causes the whole program to fall apart. well if most public school communities would just unite and take pride in their own kids and neighborhoods they would do great things in any sport or activity. mililani soccer and girls volleyball all play together growing up and the kids/parents are close and united, they always go far in the state tournaments.

all the former NFL players that coach high school do it because they love their alma maters not because the DOE sought them out and offered them a lucrative contract. its ridiculouis to think its the DOE/OIA's responsibility to provide top notch coaches at every school. all they have to do is make sure the guy is qualified and not a criminal/child molestar. if you want top notch facilities/coaches go pay to get in the private schools or move to the mainland.

u want your DLine kid to learn from maa tanuvasa at mililani, well in the 8th grade you should get that district exemption and transfer there, by the time the 9th grade come around you will be good to go, how easy is that?
-------------------

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

808Hawaii wrote:
I would have believed IHL schools recruited soccer players from clubs but my daughter was on the best girls team in the State from about eight years old until twleve (seventh grade), and no one was "recruited" by ILH schools.
im wondering if soccer atheletes are a dime a dozen here in hawaii and the ILH schools already have plenty to choose from in their normal enrollment. can anyone confirm?
i know for a fact that football players and volleyball players are not your typical private school profile kid and punahou actively goes out to offer the best ones on the island.
-------------------

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

huki-lau-lau wrote:im wondering if soccer atheletes are a dime a dozen here in hawaii and the ILH schools already have plenty to choose from in their normal enrollment. can anyone confirm?
Soccer athlete are not a dime a dozen. Club players are much better than recreational leagues like AYSO, similar to AAU basketball is better than community leagues on the mainland.

In AYSO, everyone plays. Everyone gets trophies. Wins and losses are not kept track of. Coaches are parents of the players. Players miss games due to family functions.

In club play, the best players start, the weaker players get only a few minutes, even on mainland trip tournaments. During some mainland tournament games, some weaker girls sit out the entire game. Most times, coaches are hired - former professionals, UH coaches, high school coaches, etc. Some teams require mainland travel, sometimes multiple times a year. Life revolves around soccer. If our old club team played against any team in the state in their age group, they would probably win. Against an ILH team that has AYSO players, or worse, some that never played organized soccer, it would be no contest.
I am the one who knocks.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The only thing that matters in the end is what your kid is and what is his /her mindset. We are all alone and responsible for what we do....no matter who our parents are.etc.... it is up to us as individuals. Parents can give guidance but,in the end ,it's on your kid..Aloha Nui,Nui.

It is not up to the schools,it is up to us.

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="huki-lau-lau"][quote="808Hawaii"]

I would have believed IHL schools recruited soccer players from clubs but my daughter was on the best girls team in the State from about eight years old until twleve (seventh grade), and no one was "recruited" by ILH schools. [/quote]

im wondering if soccer atheletes are a dime a dozen here in hawaii and the ILH schools already have plenty to choose from in their normal enrollment. can anyone confirm?
i know for a fact that football players and volleyball players are not your typical private school profile kid and punahou actively goes out to offer the best ones on the island.[/quote]

Club soccer is a life of its own! Once you sign with a club you are not allowed to transfer within that calendar year period, in some cases they will lock down a great player for two years. It starts as early as young elementary students. The best players will be given exemptions for registration and travel fees. Coaches are full time employees who can earn as much as a high school teachers yearly salary. Not sure if ILH actively recruits kid but since you mentioned Mililani... 3-4 of their starters in the last couple years who are at D1 programs were out of district.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

unpaid wrote:The only thing that matters in the end is what your kid is and what is his /her mindset. We are all alone and responsible for what we do....no matter who our parents are.etc.... it is up to us as individuals. Parents can give guidance but,in the end ,it's on your kid..Aloha Nui,Nui.

It is not up to the schools,it is up to us.
But as parents, we try to give our kids every advantage we can - whether it's in the classroom, on the court or on the field, everything.
I am the one who knocks.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

halaokolele wrote:
huki-lau-lau wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:
I would have believed IHL schools recruited soccer players from clubs but my daughter was on the best girls team in the State from about eight years old until twleve (seventh grade), and no one was "recruited" by ILH schools.
i know for a fact that football players and volleyball players are not your typical private school profile kid and punahou actively goes out to offer the best ones on the island.
Club soccer is a life of its own! Once you sign with a club you are not allowed to transfer within that calendar year period, in some cases they will lock down a great player for two years. It starts as early as young elementary students. The best players will be given exemptions for registration and travel fees. Coaches are full time employees who can earn as much as a high school teachers yearly salary. Not sure if ILH actively recruits kid but since you mentioned Mililani... 3-4 of their starters in the last couple years who are at D1 programs were out of district.
Yeah, club players will try to choose the school they attend but in the end, clun coaches and showcases are more important.

To those that are not familiar with club soccer can't imagine what goes on. Clubs actively and openly turn in other clubs for rules violations. Clubs recruit "free agents" and poach recruits from others by offering better deals (waivers for multiple years, etc.). Parents offer to pay fees if recruits choose their club. Some clubs have full-time college coordinators whose main job is hooking up players with the appropriate level of college coaches. Many local clubs are affiliated with mainland (like Surf FC and Slammers FC) or international clubs (Rush). My older kids played baseball and basketball but the competition in those sports are not anything like club soccer. But soccer club fees are not anything like Volleyball club fees. VB fees can run into the thousands - plus travel.
I am the one who knocks.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

So interesting and alarming that the two Sports that seem to cause.the most jockeying for players and controversy over players are the two sports with the highest rates of concussion and life altering injury. High risk and high reward, I guess.

Yet, there is something unsettling about the idea that this whole discussion is fueled over the ability to send our children into activities where they could sustain permanent, life altering injury.

What's more disturbing is that I understand the twisted logic.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Just saw a clip of David Hallums on the Leahy and Leahy show. Pretty funny his response to the question of transfers.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

yup kawika hallums is da homeboy right there. he said on that show that when he was coaching football at pearl city a few years ago, his top players were leaving and playing at leilehua and mililani. right now the starting DE playing right next to rex manu for mililani is from pearl city district.

Link
-------------------

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Pearl City was one of the first OIA schools with a D-I enrollment to move down to D-II and stay there even after earning promotion to the old Red Division (D-I).I said back then that the best Pearl City kids in their pipeline would transfer out because the current admins at PC would never again go D-I...their actions over the past 6 or 7 years have proven that...so the kids who wanted to compete against the best were naturally going to transfer to Mililani,Leilehua,etc so they could be on a D-I team going up against D-I competition. If they had stayed at PC ,they would have been part of this years team,many of whose players won promotion to D-I last year on record only to see the admins petition to stay down in D-II successfully.

Last year was the end of the previous two-year evaluation cycle. In most cases,four D-II teams would move up to be replaced by four D-I teams with the worst records. Of course PC,petitioned to stay down as expected, but then Radford petitioned to stay down and so did another team. Only Kaiser accepted promotion.

I love my Rams,but if they think staying in D-II going to help them they are wrong. You need to give the kids credit.They want to compete against the best. and if they see that they can'T compete against D-I competition even when they earn a promotion on the field...then ,sure.they are going to transfer...just the way it is.

I feel sorry for Hallums because I think deep down ,he wanted to go up to D-I but the admins at the school would not let him. He knew some of his kids and middle schoolers were going to go another district's school. Coach Salanoa at Radford is going to have the same problem since they decided to stay down. If you accept promotion when your team earns it at least you have a shot at keeping your best players and prospects...but when you stay in D-II whatever reason...you will lose your best to other schools because they will want to compete against the best.