New OIA Transfer Rule Goes Into Effect Next School Year

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
wrestling808
High-quality H20 provider

Re: New OIA Transfer Rule Goes Into Effect Next School Year

Post by wrestling808 »

It seems the only characters that are complaining are the ones who need to poach players from other schools. OIA recruiting is a joke. What are they offering? A free education? LOL.

Have some pride in your school and stay where you're at.

Tmanz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Tmanz »

Nice.. Public school recruiting got out of hand. I like how Rod York said "we lost 2 kids that transferred to Leilehua"..Little do you know half of Mililani starters are from out of district

Tmanz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Tmanz »

Per Scoringlive:
OIA announces change to bylaws regarding transfers

ScoringLive staff
October 29, 2014, 3:24pm

In a press release sent to the media early Wednesday afternoon, the Oahu Interscholastic Association announced a change to its league bylaws concerning the athletic eligibility of students who transfer within the Hawaii public school system, which will take effect at the start of the 2015-2016 school year.

According to the rule change, any student who transfers from another public school (including the neighbor islands) into the OIA is deemed ineligible if he or she participated in the same sport at the previous school within the last 12 months.

Students transferring from private schools to the public school in their home district may participate without having to sit out a year. However, those transferring to out-of-district schools cannot immediately play if he or she participated in the same sport at the previous school within the last 12 months.

A geographic exception is still required for all students in out-of-district schools.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Why not let kids transfer to where they want? That's what happens in private schools. In college. Everything else.
I am the one who knocks.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

808Hawaii wrote:Why not let kids transfer to where they want? That's what happens in private schools. In college. Everything else.
Yo, the public school "kids" can transfer to any public school they want as long as their GE gets accepted or if they move in district.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

wrestling808 wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:Why not let kids transfer to where they want? That's what happens in private schools. In college. Everything else.
Yo, the public school "kids" can transfer to any public school they want as long as their GE gets accepted or if they move in district.
But they have to sit out a year in the sport they play. Maybe it would make sense for public school kids to be held back a year also, be 19 when they graduate too.
I am the one who knocks.

wrestling808

Post by wrestling808 »

808Hawaii wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:
But they have to sit out a year in the sport they play. Maybe it would make sense for public school kids to be held back a year also, be 19 when they graduate too.
The transferring student has the ability to appeal the rule. If successful they can be re-instated to participate. The ILH has been following this rule for decades, welcome to the club.

Look no further than Kaiser and Mililani football for abusing the system.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

wrestling808 wrote:The transferring student has the ability to appeal the rule. If successful they can be re-instated to participate. The ILH has been following this rule for decades, welcome to the club.

IMO, that's not abusing the system. As a father of an athlete, I feel it's good to have options. I'm serious about holding back a child. If I held back my daughter, she'd be one year older than her peers when she's recruited for college soccer. Also serious about club soccer being bigger than ILH soccer.
I am the one who knocks.

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

808Hawaii wrote:
wrestling808 wrote:The transferring student has the ability to appeal the rule. If successful they can be re-instated to participate. The ILH has been following this rule for decades, welcome to the club.

IMO, that's not abusing the system. As a father of an athlete, I feel it's good to have options. I'm serious about holding back a child. If I held back my daughter, she'd be one year older than her peers when she's recruited for college soccer. Also serious about club soccer being bigger than ILH soccer.
Holding kids back wouldn't do anything. They have 4 years to play total and it starts the day the student steps into school in 9th grade, whether they play or not. Kahuku knows this too well.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

Aitorahi wrote:
808Hawaii wrote:

Holding kids back wouldn't do anything. They have 4 years to play total and it starts the day the student steps into school in 9th grade, whether they play or not. Kahuku knows this too well.
My girl isn't in ninth grade yet.
I am the one who knocks.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Re: New OIA Transfer Rule Goes Into Effect Next School

Post by politclyincrekt »

Neighbor wrote:What about ILH to OIA
This is unrelated but I love your avatar.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Let's say what transferring is really about. Parents are the driving force behind transferring. Why? Because it's all about getting that scholarship so they don't have to pay for college. Nothing wrong with that. BUT, it's been proven time and time again, if you're good enough, you will get noticed. Case in point, Wailua High, that hot bed of football talent, has two kids(that I know of) currently playing D1 in college.

808Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference

Post by 808Hawaii »

rrforlifebaby wrote:
Let's say what transferring is really about. Parents are the driving force behind transferring. Why? Because it's all about getting that scholarship so they don't have to pay for college. Nothing wrong with that. BUT, it's been proven time and time again, if you're good enough, you will get noticed. Case in point, Wailua High, that hot bed of football talent, has two kids(that I know of) currently playing D1 in college.
If you went ot Waialua, scouts don't come to watch you play. Scouts come to watch a player on the opposing team. And if you happen to have a good game, you'll get noticed. What happens if you don't have a good game on that one day the scouts came to see your game? You only have one chance if you're at Waialua. You'll get multiple chances if you play on a team with several prospects.

Chances are, the Waialua kids got noticed at college showcases anyway but kids at better teams have more opportunities to get noticed that kids on junk teams.
I am the one who knocks.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

808Hawaii wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote:
If you went ot Waialua, scouts don't come to watch you play. Scouts come to watch a player on the opposing team. And if you happen to have a good game, you'll get noticed. What happens if you don't have a good game on that one day the scouts came to see your game? You only have one chance if you're at Waialua. You'll get multiple chances if you play on a team with several prospects.

Chances are, the Waialua kids got noticed at college showcases anyway but kids at better teams have more opportunities to get noticed that kids on junk teams.
You really didn't disprove my point. Fact, both kids played at Waialua. Fact, both kids are or were starters at their respective D1 schools.
Fact, there are other options besides transferring to another school, ie camps.

But in the end, parents will do what they feel is best...nothing wrong with that.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

808Hawaii wrote:
ILH soccer recruits their players from the clubs. just like every other sport.

club soccer in hawaii is huge and is the feeder platform for all the best high school programs in the state, you need to focus your time-n-efforts to making your child be the best player on her club rather then what high school is best for her. some of the best girl/boy soccer players dont even play high school soccer because they got their exposure and their college offers while playing club.

if your child is not a standout on her club then high school is not going to do anything for her.

Aiea high school has a good girls soccer program and that coach also coaches a club soccer team, he will tell you (club > highschool), he does invite his best players on the club to come play for him at Aiea if they havent already been invited to punahou or iolani etc..

bottom line is...if your child is good she will get noticed and now a days there are tons of resources for parents to use. if you are using high school transfer rules as a complaint to why your child isnt getting exposure then you are the failure and not the DOE.
-------------------