OIA Semi-Finals: Kahuku vs. Farrington

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

OIA Semi-Finals: Kahuku vs. Farrington

Post by huki-lau-lau »

the impression I got of the 2014 farrington govs over the season was a tough rugged smash mouth team. typical gov team that we have always gone up against except this year they have speed in ranan mamiya, if govs do pull it off it will be because kahuku D gets worn down and is not able to contain this guy, govs would be smart to pound the ball down kahuku throat for 4 quarters and they will wear down the red raider D enough for mamiya to break free into the endzone for a couple of TD's. however okimoto has too much pride to look so one dimensional that he will try to mix it up with playaction and the Qb will throw the game away because kahuku DB's are too good this year.

only coach reggie and siuaki had bolo's big enough to say "f the fans,the commentators, the spectators, the armchair QBs and the parents. we running up the middle every single play the entire game like how our ancestors used to do in the caveman era!!" okimoto should try it, he has the mammoths and saber-tigers to do it.

kahuku has the potential to do great things and we do have a handful of stud players on both sides of the ball, it is the oline that is our weaklink plain and simple, if they can do a 180 and surprise us these coming playoffs we are capable of sustaining and finishing long drives keeping the defense off the field.

LETS GO BIG RED!!
kahuku 28-24
-------------------

Leftfieldcoachlikeu
High-quality H20 provider

Re: OIA Semi-Finals: Kahuku vs. Farrington

Post by Leftfieldcoachlikeu »

huki-lau-lau wrote:the impression I got of the 2014 farrington govs over the season was a tough rugged smash mouth team. typical gov team that we have always gone up against except this year they have speed in ranan mamiya, if govs do pull it off it will be because kahuku D gets worn down and is not able to contain this guy, govs would be smart to pound the ball down kahuku throat for 4 quarters and they will wear down the red raider D enough for mamiya to break free into the endzone for a couple of TD's. however okimoto has too much pride to look so one dimensional that he will try to mix it up with playaction and the Qb will throw the game away because kahuku DB's are too good this year.

only coach reggie and siuaki had bolo's big enough to say "f the fans,the commentators, the spectators, the armchair QBs and the parents. we running up the middle every single play the entire game like how our ancestors used to do in the caveman era!!" okimoto should try it, he has the mammoths and saber-tigers to do it.

kahuku has the potential to do great things and we do have a handful of stud players on both sides of the ball, it is the oline that is our weaklink plain and simple, if they can do a 180 and surprise us these coming playoffs we are capable of sustaining and finishing long drives keeping the defense off the field.

LETS GO BIG RED!!
kahuku 28-24
That was a really nice try with the reverse psychology. I doubt Okimoto will be baited into this strategy though. I think if you didn't say that Kahuku's DB's are too good this year, this might have come off as unbiased and common knowledge. Kahuku does not have great DB's. ask Kaiser.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

you need to watch that kaiser game and tell me what SS (not DB) got burned twice for those 2 TD's. then watch every game after that and tell me where that player is playing now? (the bench)

kahukus current starting DB's are arguable the best in the state (santiago, meredith, ofahengaue, gillman), go ask waianae, leilehua and kapolei! and im 100% serious about okimoto taking it one dimensional on O. kahuku starting Defense is superb but they have no depth after the starters. thats a free tip im giving out right there.
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

huki-lau-lau wrote:the impression I got of the 2014 farrington govs over the season was a tough rugged smash mouth team. typical gov team that we have always gone up against except this year they have speed in ranan mamiya, if govs do pull it off it will be because kahuku D gets worn down and is not able to contain this guy, govs would be smart to pound the ball down kahuku throat for 4 quarters and they will wear down the red raider D enough for mamiya to break free into the endzone for a couple of TD's. however okimoto has too much pride to look so one dimensional that he will try to mix it up with playaction and the Qb will throw the game away because kahuku DB's are too good this year.

LETS GO BIG RED!!
kahuku 28-24
Well, if I'm not mistaken, Farrington has the heaviest O-line in the state. That doesn't make it the best O-line, but such a heavy O-line can wear-down Kahuku's D-line, and the effects would become most apparent during the 4th qrtr.

Kahuku has good DBs? I thought they were weak at DB. Did they change personnel at DB since the season began?

Is it really a matter of pride that Okimoto would call passing plays? If he's got a QB and receiver that are good enough, he should pass on occasion, if only to keep Kahuku's D honest.

The game is really a tough call. Kahuku's D shut-out Kapolei, which has a big O-line that's also the tallest in the state, I believe. You would think that if Kahuku's D-line could handle Kapolei's O-line, it might be able to handle Farrington's as well. But then, Kapolei didn't have a Mamiya at RB. At the same time, Kahuku's special teams are better than Farrington's. Tough call, this game. It might very well be decided by a TD or less.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

Much as I want Kahuku to win I think farrington will. Farrington been rolling on offense and they will use field positions and ball control and if Kahuku keeps continuing there offensive struggles than farrington might have an easy win. Farrington might only need a field goal to win this game and could be from a Kahuku transfer

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

harus0ra wrote:Much as I want Kahuku to win I think farrington will. Farrington been rolling on offense and they will use field positions and ball control and if Kahuku keeps continuing there offensive struggles than farrington might have an easy win. Farrington might only need a field goal to win this game and could be from a Kahuku transfer
It's been what--several years?--since Farrington beat Kahuku, but as you say, it could happen this week. This year, Farrington has the personnel to do it, especially on offense.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Leftfieldcoachlikeu wrote:

LETS GO BIG RED!!
kahuku 28-24
That was a really nice try with the reverse psychology. I doubt Okimoto will be baited into this strategy though. I think if you didn't say that Kahuku's DB's are too good this year, this might have come off as unbiased and common knowledge. Kahuku does not have great DB's. ask Kaiser.
Lol. If you're willing to define Kahuku's DB's off the Kaiser game, then you're just as naive or biased. I would put Big Red's secondary up against any other secondary unit in the state. If Mililani had Kahuku's secondary, I would give them more than a fair shake against the Puns if it came down to those teams at the end. Biased? Hellz yeah!

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

coach leslie confirmed what i have been saying all along in his scoringlive article posted today.

"...A lot of people want us to be a smash-mouth team, but we're not that kind of a team this year. We're more of a balanced team....We chose to put our hottest players on the defensive side of the ball....If we peak offensively at the right time, we've got a good shot at beating anybody"

-----------------------------------------
can tell that leslie is listening to his assistants because they are going back to defense minded kahuku football. i remember darren hernandez calling the game in 2011 on oc16, he said "what kahuku does is put all their best athletes on defense and then give them spot duty on offense", that same mentality exist today because leslie was smart enough to keep the same assistant coaches around (he replaced the old DC, but the new DC sola is a kahuku product and is just picking up from where byron beatty left off).

too much talking already lets play ball!
-------------------

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

I agree the raidrs have good Db's, but i just wanna say SS is a DB. 2 corners and 2 safetys usually included in that unit.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

huki-lau-lau wrote:coach leslie confirmed what i have been saying all along in his scoringlive article posted today.

"...A lot of people want us to be a smash-mouth team, but we're not that kind of a team this year. We're more of a balanced team....We chose to put our hottest players on the defensive side of the ball....If we peak offensively at the right time, we've got a good shot at beating anybody"

-----------------------------------------
can tell that leslie is listening to his assistants because they are going back to defense minded kahuku football. i remember darren hernandez calling the game in 2011 on oc16, he said "what kahuku does is put all their best athletes on defense and then give them spot duty on offense", that same mentality exist today because leslie was smart enough to keep the same assistant coaches around (he replaced the old DC, but the new DC sola is a kahuku product and is just picking up from where byron beatty left off).

too much talking already lets play ball!
The players know how to play smash-mouth football it just the coach leslie choose not too! The kids been playing that way since the big boy league. The defense backs been great all year and they only gave up 2 big plays to Kaiser that's it.

Rocket95

Post by Rocket95 »

If it rains the way it's raining right now, both teams might not have a choice but to go OLD SCHOOL SMASH MOUTH FOOTBALL. To me personally, I don't mind watching that. Especially because it's Kahuku and Farrington. Both teams has the personel to do it. I'm thinking a low scoring game and the winner being the team with the least amount of penalties. Both teams also like to rack up the penalty yards.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Mamiya is definitely the X-factor in this game. If Big Red can control him and keep the Gov's from getting in Sasaoka's range, I like our chances. Would be great if Red Raider O shows up too.

CityWithNoPity!!!
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by CityWithNoPity!!! »

Farrington O vs Kahuku D : Kahuku D wins up front. I pick Kahuku D.

Kahuku O vs Farrington D : If last weeks O comes to play then Farrington D wins. If kahuku pounds the ball more Kahuku got a chance.
But i pick Farrington D.

All in all i say Farrington wins by a Field Goal.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

i told you guys okimoto wasnt going smash mouth, he was thinking too hard when it was plain as day that their running game was wearing down kahuku D when they ran right up the gut, tried going outside and slowed the momentum. not sure if okimoto is too classy of a guy and thinks that by going one dimensional that he would be mocking kahuku by taking a page out of their book?
-------------------

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

huki-lau-lau wrote:i told you guys okimoto wasnt going smash mouth, he was thinking too hard when it was plain as day that their running game was wearing down kahuku D when they ran right up the gut, tried going outside and slowed the momentum. not sure if okimoto is too classy of a guy and thinks that by going one dimensional that he would be mocking kahuku by taking a page out of their book?
Wily, Salanoa, and Tongi had a great game stuffing the inside for the LBs to clean up. Okimoto had no other choice.