Predict Kamehameha vs St Louis playoff game

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
thanohano44
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: baseball aint a sport.
NBA: Suns
NFL: Raiders

Re: Predict Kamehameha vs St Louis playoff game

Post by thanohano44 »

huki-lau-lau wrote:i hope kam school now realize that they will never win an ILH title as long as cal lee is recruiting over there in stlouis and holding his kids back one year. if its not crusaders its puns they have too much weaponry in the arms race for top talent in hawaii. the term super sophmore in the ILH just really means "supposed to be a Junior in the OIA".

in fact kam school will continue to suffer lopsided losses from the puns or stluis, how they gonna react? vamp up their recruiting too?

hows about the OIA pull out of the HHSAA tournament and let stluois and punahou play eachother 7 times a year, they deserve eachother.

Cal is holding kids back a year?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

best way to answer you question if for you to just read this article

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ment-33064
-------------------

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

huki-lau-lau wrote:best way to answer you question if for you to just read this article

http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... ment-33064
If you read the next paragraph, Honda talks about the HHSAA putting "a lid" on that practice by creating age limits for state tournaments. I don't think holding kids back in intermediate works anymore. They have to be under a certain age by september (I think) of a school year to play that school year.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

i dont have a problem with that practice of holding a kid back, it makes sense, why redshirt ur freshman year in college when you can be physically mature coming straight out of high school. the mainland does this and stoluis does it too. good and great, if my son was a potential blue chipper I would do all I can to give him an advantage to compete at high levels with the mainland talent.

my only gripe is that here in Hawaii the ILH schools with their numerous of advantages over the OIA (older age, recruiting cream of crop athletes) are competing for the one and only state title that oia public schools are going for too.

keep oia and ilh separate and let them have "state titles" for their own conferences.
-------------------

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

twnoexcuses wrote:
If you read the next paragraph, Honda talks about the HHSAA putting "a lid" on that practice by creating age limits for state tournaments. I don't think holding kids back in intermediate works anymore. They have to be under a certain age by september (I think) of a school year to play that school year.
the age limit does not prevent 18yr olds from playing in the tournament where as in the OIA and public schools the common age for high school seniors is 17yrs. I graduated kahuku when I was 17 and turned 18 that summer, technically I could have been held a year back and still played in the HHSAA tourney as a 18 yr old senior. I lick my paws thinking about how much more beast I would have been had I played with the little kids. lol, heeehheheheehehe!

once again....."a super sophomore in the ILH = supposed to be a junior in the OIA"
-------------------

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

I understand what you're saying.

Didn't the DOE recently increase the age for kindergarten?

I just read an article that said starting this school year, kindergartners had to be 5 by July 31 of a year to start school that year. Used to be by December 31.

huki-lau-lau wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:
the age limit does not prevent 18yr olds from playing in the tournament where as in the OIA and public schools the common age for high school seniors is 17yrs. I graduated kahuku when I was 17 and turned 18 that summer, technically I could have been held a year back and still played in the HHSAA tourney as a 18 yr old senior. I lick my paws thinking about how much more beast I would have been had I played with the little kids. lol, heeehheheheehehe!

once again....."a super sophomore in the ILH = supposed to be a junior in the OIA"

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

twnoexcuses wrote:I understand what you're saying.

Didn't the DOE recently increase the age for kindergarten?

I just read an article that said starting this school year, kindergartners had to be 5 by July 31 of a year to start school that year. Used to be by December 31.

They probably did it to partially stymie Cal Lee.

huki-lau-lau wrote:
twnoexcuses wrote:

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

fball addict wrote:Guess I was on target with my prediction. Warriors QB was inconsistent as usual. Who's that boy?????? #10....where was he all season? He threw a TD on his 2nd pass! I think the Warriors could have used him this season! Hopefully the Warrior coaches take a serious look at their QB situation for next year.
#10 is Justice Young, a sophomore. I was surprised they went to him; Sua-Godinet's back-up is usually #3, Kekona Neumann, a junior. I think that long TD was a lucky strike; I don't think Young will take Sua-Godinet's place next year. Sua-Godinet runs too well, has the ability to make would-be tacklers miss, and has a good arm. Plus he'll be a senior, and likely better than he was this year.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

huki-lau-lau wrote:i hope kam school now realize that they will never win an ILH title as long as cal lee is recruiting over there in stlouis and holding his kids back one year. if its not crusaders its puns they have too much weaponry in the arms race for top talent in hawaii. the term super sophmore in the ILH just really means "supposed to be a Junior in the OIA".

in fact kam school will continue to suffer lopsided losses from the puns or stluis, how they gonna react? vamp up their recruiting too?

hows about the OIA pull out of the HHSAA tournament and let stluois and punahou play eachother 7 times a year, they deserve eachother.
1. Kamehameha can't recruit the way St Louis and Punahou do, because Kamehameha's players have to have Hawaiian blood.
2. Don't count the OIA out. I think Kahuku and Mililani will both be able to threaten St Louis and Punahou in the years ahead. In fact, I think Mililani can beat St Louis right now; they're ranked just ahead of them. But it's not just the rankings: St Louis' D may have improved, but they still can't handle Mililani's O. St Louis' O is very good, too, but Mililani's D would be able to slow them down more than Kamehameha's D did.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

huki-lau-lau wrote:i dont have a problem with that practice of holding a kid back, it makes sense, why redshirt ur freshman year in college when you can be physically mature coming straight out of high school. the mainland does this and stoluis does it too. good and great, if my son was a potential blue chipper I would do all I can to give him an advantage to compete at high levels with the mainland talent.

my only gripe is that here in Hawaii the ILH schools with their numerous of advantages over the OIA (older age, recruiting cream of crop athletes) are competing for the one and only state title that oia public schools are going for too.

keep oia and ilh separate and let them have "state titles" for their own conferences.
But that would only serve to cheapen the OIA, and relegate them to "second-class" status. You have Kahuku in your avatar; you are one of their alumni, and played for them. I think Kahuku will always be a threat to the ILH D1 teams. So, I think, will Mililani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

thanohano44 wrote:

Cal is holding kids back a year?
That's what guys have been complaining about for years. Back during the "Lee Dynasty" (from '86 to '98) Cal was doing that. Makes a difference, that extra year; that helped Cal maintain his "dynasty" at St Louis.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:

1. Kamehameha can't recruit the way St Louis and Punahou do, because Kamehameha's players have to have Hawaiian blood.
2. Don't count the OIA out. I think Kahuku and Mililani will both be able to threaten St Louis and Punahou in the years ahead. In fact, I think Mililani can beat St Louis right now; they're ranked just ahead of them. But it's not just the rankings: St Louis' D may have improved, but they still can't handle Mililani's O. St Louis' O is very good, too, but Mililani's D would be able to slow them down more than Kamehameha's D did.
I'm not so sure that Mililani's defense is better than Kamehameha's defense. Tafua is an absolute beast and Borengasser and Foster are also very good players. Oregon thinks Kane is pretty good too. They are absolutely not as good as last year, when they had no less than 5 FBS players on defense, but they aren't a complete joke.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

saynotomercs wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:

I'm not so sure that Mililani's defense is better than Kamehameha's defense. Tafua is an absolute beast and Borengasser and Foster are also very good players. Oregon thinks Kane is pretty good too. They are absolutely not as good as last year, when they had no less than 5 FBS players on defense, but they aren't a complete joke.
Well, I didn't mean to say that Kamehameha's D is a joke, but they certainly fell short of expectations for this year. When the season began, some guys were saying that Kamehameha's D was "bigger and faster" than last year's. Well, if that was the case, "bigger and faster" obviously didn't mean better. When St Louis played Kamehameha during the regular season, St Louis' O exposed Kamehameha's D as somewhat bogus (at least compared to what a lot of guys thought). No question: Tafua and Kane are blue-chippers, but I think those two are the only blue-chippers Kamehameha had on D. Borengasser (at DB) and Foster (at LB) are certainly good, but I wouldn't be able to call them blue-chippers. Borengasser graduates, but Foster will be back next year. I think Foster will easily be Kamehameha's best LB, and might be a blue-chipper next year. During Friday's game, Kamehameha's D surrendered 40 points (not counting the pick-six during the last seconds that was scored against the offense). Even if St Louis were to score 40 on Mililani's D, Mililani's O would probably score at least 42 on St Louis' D. I guess you could say that Kamehameha's D was "victimized" by a Kamehameha O that couldn't keep-up with St Louis' O, whereas Mililani's O could definitely keep-up with St Louis' O.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Let's not forget that Saint Louis put up 47 AT Mililani before the offense was turned over to Tagovailoa and well before Jahred Silofau (So.) even broke the two-deep.

Mililani's offense is as good as Saint Louis' defense is bad. But Mililani's defense really isn't that great.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

saynotomercs wrote:Let's not forget that Saint Louis put up 47 AT Mililani before the offense was turned over to Tagovailoa and well before Jahred Silofau (So.) even broke the two-deep.

Mililani's offense is as good as Saint Louis' defense is bad. But Mililani's defense really isn't that great.
Yeah, you have a point there; forgot about that pre-season game. OK, but if Mililani's D isn't that great, then again, Mililani's O can compensate for that. But, St Louis won't even have a chance to play Mililani again unless they get past Punahou next week, and that's probably not going to happen.