STAR-ADVERTISERS ARTICLE: RECRUITING IN HAWAII HS FOOTBALL

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: STAR-ADVERTISERS ARTICLE: RECRUITING IN HAWAII HS FOOTBA

Post by JUS_another_brotha »

If a kid is more mature at 18 then why wouldn't you hold a kid back? If you started your child when he turns 6 years old would that be considered holding back? it happens in the OIA too. When a university offers a full ride scholarship to any kid, do they ask them if theywe re held back? People are worried about kids being super sophmores that would be juniors in the OIA but they should concentrate on how a kid can get the oppurtunity to get a scholarship. If you dont feel your child needs it then dont hold them back and just let them go.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

If this year's OIA JV semi's is an indication of what to look for in the next 2 - 3 years, it appears that coach York and his staff will be(if not already) hitting the recruiting trail soon...lol.

Milton and Malepeai are both juniors, so next year still looks good for Mililani, but after that, who know's.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

JUS_another_brotha wrote:If a kid is more mature at 18 then why wouldn't you hold a kid back? If you started your child when he turns 6 years old would that be considered holding back? it happens in the OIA too. When a university offers a full ride scholarship to any kid, do they ask them if theywe re held back? People are worried about kids being super sophmores that would be juniors in the OIA but they should concentrate on how a kid can get the oppurtunity to get a scholarship. If you dont feel your child needs it then dont hold them back and just let them go.
Im not against holding kids back, its legal and there is nothing wrong with it.
i am against a league like the ILH with their "older kids" competing against our "younger" oia kids for the same state titles.
Last edited by huki-lau-lau on Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

rrforlifebaby wrote:If this year's OIA JV semi's is an indication of what to look for in the next 2 - 3 years, it appears that coach York and his staff will be(if not already) hitting the recruiting trail soon...lol.

Milton and Malepeai are both juniors, so next year still looks good for Mililani, but after that, who know's.
im more concerned about our young elite JV talent making it to our varsity without being lured away by the ILH or mainland.
-------------------

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JUS_another_brotha »

huki-lau-lau,

So you don't agree with older kids playing but Kesi Ah hoy was held back too? He is your best player on that team. Most of you call him Super Sophomore. Guess what? He is a super sophomore. He did not attend one year of school because it's the same thing as holding a kid back. The rule is not just for ILH, its for everyone. But it is not normal to hold a kid back. So is that a knock on Kesi? NO WAY..That is good for him because his body is mature. So just because the ILH schools have more than 10 KEsi Ah hoy's that is not the fault of the ILH or the schools. MOst parents like the ones I know hold their child back for one reason and one reason only. If he can get an opportunity to get a scholarship to college then it was worth it. YOu will not only be mature on the field but also in the classroom. Almost 99% of the freshmans that go to college to play football REDSHIRT?? I can name more kids from Kahuku who were held back. But that is not important. How many Championships did they win? that is not important. What is important is did they get to go to college and further their education? IF everyone had that frame of mind then everyone would start their child late from school..

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Across the state you'll find lots kids that were held back a year for various reasons. Unfortunately the ones singled out are the outstanding players or stars of the team. You won't find much discussion about a kid that was held back a year or even two years if he rides the bench and has limited playing time at best. The most important thing to remember is getting a good education for our kids and their future. Holding a kid back a year has many benefits. For some, it benefits them physically to excel in sports, while others benefit through mental maturity to better prepare them to handle the educational requirements.

That same kid who is 5'6 135 pounds and rides the bench but scores a 1900 on his SAT or 30 ACT, will have lots of college options. Whatever it may be, the focus should be on getting a great education for your kid.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

JUS_another_brotha

u missing my point. the OIA doesnt practice or encourage that mentality of holding kids back, the DOE exist for one reason and that is to get your kid in and out of the system as soon as possible. Private schools on the other hand exist to prepare or get your kids into college and if holding back is going to help athletically/academically then it will be done. whether its the ILH way of doing things or the familys that are born and raised in the ILH culture it is a wide spread practice that they use to their advantage. OIA schools have less then 5% of their roster being kids that were held back, but the ILH has over 50% of their roster, stlouis even more so.

There are also some OIA parents that no doubt use the age factor to their advantage but those are the same parents that have hopes of getting their kids into private schools. I have a friend whose daughter is a future voleybal star at an intermediate school in kanehoe, she started school late in kindergarden so yes she was held back a year. she recently got asked by puhahou to come play with them and will be on their jv team. im happy for the family and the parents are excstatic, great! but the fact remain that she is one year older and will be playing with other girls at punahou that are one year older then their OIA counter parts and will go to state torunaments and smash OIA schools and call themselves a dynasty. just like stlouis football dynasty, iolani basketball dynasty, kamehameha volleyball dynasty and punahou boys volleyball dynasty.

keep the OIA and ILH state tournaments seperate! thats all im saying

-------------------------------
once again its frowned upon and not normal in the OIA, a few cases at all public schools but commonality at private schools that make for an unfair advantage and un-even playing field with sports.

in the 80's we had kids coming over from samoa/tonga in the elementary years and they had to be held back because no speak good english, by the time they got to 7th grade they speak better english and were forced to move up to their normal age/grade. some of these poly kids were actually all-state football for kahuku and led us to those one point losses to stlouis in the prepbowls. imagine if they didnt move up and returned the following year as 18yr old seniors to play football we probably could have beaten stlouis because it would have been an even playing field.

back then it was uncommon to have 18 yr old seniors, in fact we would make fun of them and call them "falaniks", u kno, the guy in the locker room with hair all over his body like one full grown man, lol.

as far as this newer generation, no doubt more OIA parents are taking on that mentality to start their kids later in kindergarden (or holding back) for sports purposes, and I can tell you now that the general consensus is frowned upon here in the public schools.

I can also tell you a couple more kahuku athletes that were held back and once again the general consensus is frowned upon. my nephews and nieces (some graduated already, some still current) were all held back at kindergarden and i wanted to slap my auntie on the head for doing that. but still less then 5% of a public school team roster is kids that were held back.

my name is hukilaulau and i approve this message! and once again im not bashing the kids, im advocating for separate state tournaments one for OIa and one for ILH. isnt that fair?
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@huki-lau-lau: I would maintain that the OIA still should take-on the ILH head-to-head in the same state tourneys. For the OIA to insist on a separate state tourney, would be like what Iolani is doing in football: Hiding behind D2. How much respect is that gaining for Iolani, and how much respect would the OIA gain with separate state tourneys? The OIA needs to take-on the ILH in the same state tourneys. I think the OIA can be competitive. Look at Kahuku's football team in '11 and '12. The OIA would more than match the ILH in bowling. Other sports the OIA would match the ILH: Wrestling, basketball, baseball, others?
Besides: If the OIA and ILH had separate tourneys, neither one would really be a state tourney, right?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

did you know that iolani kids can put on their football resume that they won multiple state titles? how attractive does that look for a college recruiter? do you think the college cares if it was a D2 title? no!

did you know that the new kahuku coach Lee Leslie won 15 or so state titles coaching high school in Idaho? do you even care that it was in a lesser division? no! all you hear about is the word "state title".

most of the OIA kids will never get a chance to play college so why cant they atleast be rewarded in high school for winning their own state title. maybe some of them can put it on their resume and walk on to a college team. otherwise they will always feel second class to the ILH, the rich get richer!

people are using kahuku's 7 state titles as justification that the public schools can compete with the ILH in football. they cant! if kahuku never existed no one else from oia can beat the ILH (leilehua that one year). this year punahou will run the table again, next year if puns dont win it then stlouis is making a strong comeback too. all of this dominance in the ILH has caused schools like mililani and kaiser to start recruiting too(leaving behind all the other oia schools) just so that they can keep up with the ILH, they will mostlikely never beat the ILH at the recruiting war and on the field.
-----------------

as a refresher, the article says it all http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... hallenged/
-------------------

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

huki, is there another solution besides simply splitting the state titles? I don't know if there is or not, but I think the best teams will want to play each other, ILH or OIA, see who the BEST team in state is. I think the best OIA team will want a crack at that game, just as much as the ILH team would. Last year's game was exciting, and this year's, whoever's in it could be even better.
But maybe I'm missing your point again?

Fanatic, you;re right, point taken. My comments above about Punahou students were not specifically about the football players. I'm checking to be sure but I think all the football players who graduated with the class of 2014 are in college this fall.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

huki-lau-lau wrote:did you know that iolani kids can put on their football resume that they won multiple state titles? how attractive does that look for a college recruiter? do you think the college cares if it was a D2 title? no!

did you know that the new kahuku coach Lee Leslie won 15 or so state titles coaching high school in Idaho? do you even care that it was in a lesser division? no! all you hear about is the word "state title".

most of the OIA kids will never get a chance to play college so why cant they atleast be rewarded in high school for winning their own state title. maybe some of them can put it on their resume and walk on to a college team. otherwise they will always feel second class to the ILH, the rich get richer!

people are using kahuku's 7 state titles as justification that the public schools can compete with the ILH in football. they cant! if kahuku never existed no one else from oia can beat the ILH (leilehua that one year). this year punahou will run the table again, next year if puns dont win it then stlouis is making a strong comeback too. all of this dominance in the ILH has caused schools like mililani and kaiser to start recruiting too(leaving behind all the other oia schools) just so that they can keep up with the ILH, they will mostlikely never beat the ILH at the recruiting war and on the field.
-----------------

as a refresher, the article says it all http://www.hawaiiprepworld.com/football ... hallenged/
That's what happens when people don't probe and inquire as to which level the state title was won. I still don't think the OIA should admit to inferiority and have its "own" state tourney. Again, a "state tourney" missing the ILH, isn't a state tourney. If OIA schools like Mililani and Kaiser have started recruiting, then perhaps the other OIA schools should start. But never admit to "inferiority" to the ILH.

Rocket95
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Rocket95 »

Gotta give it up to Paul Honda. In today's Star Advertiser (10/23/2014) he makes it very clear that both St Louis and. Punahou are powerhouses because of recruiting (North Shore Talents). In fact he mentions that St Louis has a increase of North Shore enrollment for next year. Not only will Punahou and St Louis be battling on the field they will be battling for future recruits. I wonder who has the inside track? Punahou does have Coach Reggie and a history of North Shore talent. But St Louis has some North Shore coaches too. So if Kahuku thought battling with Punahou for their players was bad now you gotta battle with 2 ILH power houses. Will Kahuku have enough talent that stays home or will they lose too much to 2 private schools?

Just a thought.
Is Coach Cal Lee a good (great) Coach or is he just a good Recruiter? Same goes for Coach Kale Ane.
Coach Cal back in his dynasty era had players from Kalihi, Waipahu and North Shore. Once Coach Kale followed Coach Lees blue print he started seeing success too. Put together an All star team and you're expected to win. Work with what you have and win it all, well that's more deserving. Could they have done it without recruiting? Maybe not. But from a parents point of view. Could their son have gotten a college scholarship and be better prepared had they stayed at their home school? Well that all depends on the kid.

In Kahukus case. Could Toma have gotten to Notre Dame on a full ride as a WR if he stayed at Kahuku? Without a passing game and not being able to show what he could do. The answer is probably NO.
Would Tuliloa be seeing the same type of success he's seeing at Punahou? Probably NO too. He would probably be handing the ball off at Kahuku.
No doubt if they were a lineman, LB or DB they could have gotten that full ride.

So going away to better showcase your skill can be a good thing. Get in where you fit in to utilize your talent and maximize your exposure to create a better opportunity for yourself.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Rocket95 wrote:Gotta give it up to Paul Honda. In today's Star Advertiser (10/23/2014) he makes it very clear that both St Louis and. Punahou are powerhouses because of recruiting (North Shore Talents). In fact he mentions that St Louis has a increase of North Shore enrollment for next year. Not only will Punahou and St Louis be battling on the field they will be battling for future recruits. I wonder who has the inside track? Punahou does have Coach Reggie and a history of North Shore talent. But St Louis has some North Shore coaches too. So if Kahuku thought battling with Punahou for their players was bad now you gotta battle with 2 ILH power houses. Will Kahuku have enough talent that stays home or will they lose too much to 2 private schools?

Just a thought.
Is Coach Cal Lee a good (great) Coach or is he just a good Recruiter? Same goes for Coach Kale Ane.
Coach Cal back in his dynasty era had players from Kalihi, Waipahu and North Shore. Once Coach Kale followed Coach Lees blue print he started seeing success too. Put together an All star team and you're expected to win. Work with what you have and win it all, well that's more deserving. Could they have done it without recruiting? Maybe not. But from a parents point of view. Could their son have gotten a college scholarship and be better prepared had they stayed at their home school? Well that all depends on the kid.

In Kahukus case. Could Toma have gotten to Notre Dame on a full ride as a WR if he stayed at Kahuku? Without a passing game and not being able to show what he could do. The answer is probably NO.
Would Tuliloa be seeing the same type of success he's seeing at Punahou? Probably NO too. He would probably be handing the ball off at Kahuku.
No doubt if they were a lineman, LB or DB they could have gotten that full ride.

So going away to better showcase your skill can be a good thing. Get in where you fit in to utilize your talent and maximize your exposure to create a better opportunity for yourself.
Was there a competition between Ane and Lee for Reggie Torres?

Does his presence at a private school make that school more attractive to Kahuku kids?

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Losing players to the ILH is nothing new to Big Red. In any given year, there still is enough talent that stays "home".
For those of you in the know, correct me if I'm wrong, but when DJ went to coach at Kailua, some kids followed him. That same year, or the year after, besides the kids who followed him, I think Kamehameha and St Louis I think, had North Shore kids who were difference makers...and Big Red still fielded a pretty damn good team.

For a public school, it's amazing how Big Red can still stay competitive when kids leave. Their is talent throughtout the whole state, but there's just something about the kids from the North Shore.

shooter808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by shooter808 »

This was a very interesting thread. The article that Honda did was a good recap of the competition and arms race in high school football in regards to recruiting student athletes.

It's a touchy subject because at the end of the day, how can you not allow a student and their family to take advantage of the opportunity to go to a private school with all the benefits that come with it. The bridge program that was linked to is a great example of how some schools will do a tremendous amount to ensure that the athletes that transfer in are successful academically and have a good experience while there.

To me this shows they care about the student. It's rough coming in from a poor family and community (generally speaking) to be surrounded by "rich" folks. Not just the Mercedes and Lexus cars at pickup after school but the attitude and things that kids take for granted. Iphones, money for snacks after school, clothes, family trips and vacations. It's a whole different world and the disparity between what you have and what you see is tough on a developing teenager.

While the Bridge program may not have been developed for the football recruits, it totally helps the transition. Would it be better if the kids come to play football, win a state championship but then fails to go to college and take advantage of the opportunity to get ahead? Punahou should be commended on the effort and the results.

The other side of it is for each one of these "winners", there are a lot of public school kids who will never have the chance to go to a rich private school. Never really dream to be a winner at the state level athletically because of the advantages that an all star private school team has.

The separation between public and private school state championships would allow for schools that want to recruit do it to their hearts content and still allow the public schools to have a competitive chance at being successful. The general public would clamor for a true "state champion" but do we really need that? Seems like the greater good would be to keep the ILH and OIA separate. Not a level playing field so why compare?