STAR-ADVERTISERS ARTICLE: RECRUITING IN HAWAII HS FOOTBALL

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Re: STAR-ADVERTISERS ARTICLE: RECRUITING IN HAWAII HS FOOTBA

Post by SM96753 »

Rocket95 wrote:Extra scoop for Paul??? I guess that means Coach Okimoto deserves the whole plate.. Lol. While Paul Hondas job is to report on prep sport. It was actually Okimoto's comments on video last year after losing to Punahou that actually brought this recruiting thing to the forefront. There were a lot of chatter last with Kaiser and Mililani about recruiting. We all knew about the ILH for a long time. But Kaiser and Mililani last year took it to another level within the OIA. But when Okimoto actually came out and commented on it, the next week there was an article in the paper about it. Maybe Pauls article will make the paper or maybe it'll just stay on Hawaii Prep World. But in Okimoto's words "nobody really wants to bring up the R word". Lol
I agree with you %100!!! Okimoto hit the nail on the head! CERTAIN OIA SCHOOL'S ARE JUST AS GUILTY OF RECRUITING AS CERTAIN ILH SCHOOLS! Let them play where ever the heck they want to play.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

SM96753 wrote:
Rocket95 wrote:Extra scoop for Paul??? I guess that means Coach Okimoto deserves the whole plate.. Lol. While Paul Hondas job is to report on prep sport. It was actually Okimoto's comments on video last year after losing to Punahou that actually brought this recruiting thing to the forefront. There were a lot of chatter last with Kaiser and Mililani about recruiting. We all knew about the ILH for a long time. But Kaiser and Mililani last year took it to another level within the OIA. But when Okimoto actually came out and commented on it, the next week there was an article in the paper about it. Maybe Pauls article will make the paper or maybe it'll just stay on Hawaii Prep World. But in Okimoto's words "nobody really wants to bring up the R word". Lol
I agree with you %100!!! Okimoto hit the nail on the head! CERTAIN OIA SCHOOL'S ARE JUST AS GUILTY OF RECRUITING AS CERTAIN ILH SCHOOLS! Let them play where ever the heck they want to play.

Gee, why in the world would Farrington kids want to leave Farrington?

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsno ... d:3xM0rdwP

AllTheRightMoves
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by AllTheRightMoves »

Swag43 wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:
giversgain wrote:I agree 100%.
To add to Paul Honda's article, we will never see the upper echelon of schools (ILH and OIA) play in one division. Why? Simply because of the education factor. Say that that the powerhouse schools were to combine to form a division. Who is to stop the private schools from cannibalizing the football talent from the OIA schools when they play, especially on the JV level? All they need to do is dangle the education "carrot" in front of the player's parents. Okimoto's decision at Farrington to not scrimmage private schools in fear of recruitment is the a prime example of why the merger will not happen.
Didn't Farrington scrimmage Punahou and Kamehameha this year?
Also, my understanding is that Punahou is prostituting itself academically by having special classes--or at least, a separate academic track--for its football players. (Correct me if that's not true).
wtf is correct me if I'm wrong...smh Bruh you either know for sure or stfu with your b!tch mouth...yeah that's what b!tches do run from the mouth not knowing if it's true or not
Easy Tiger

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Now, read the latest progress report on what's going on at Farrington.

Read from pg. 20 in the pdf linked on the right side of this page (reading and math proficiency): http://arch.k12.hi.us/state/superintend ... r2013.html

There are probably myriad reasons for the low numbers, some that the DOE and OIA can do nothing about. And, I'm sure ther is a whole lot of good going on there.

But, the smart money says leaving your kid in Farrington if you have other options is a risk to be avoided.

What sort of "recruitment" is REALLY going on? And, who is doing the "recruiting"? The parents of Farrington eligible kids looking for a way out, or the other schools?

Considering the stakes without worrying about how a football team does, why would anyone begrudge either a family, a kid, or the opportunity provider from seeking, taking or providing a pathway out?

As made alarmingly clear in the HNN article posted above, Farrington students are worrying about guns being pulled as a part of their regular school day. I empathize somewhat with Okimoto's frustrations if his potential players are fleeing to other situations. But, it seems to me he should be pointing fingers within Farrington's own neighborhood and adminstration as the reason for his coaching woes.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Swag43 wrote:
To add to Paul Honda's article, we will never see the upper echelon of schools (ILH and OIA) play in one division. Why? Simply because of the education factor. Say that that the powerhouse schools were to combine to form a division. Who is to stop the private schools from cannibalizing the football talent from the OIA schools when they play, especially on the JV level? All they need to do is dangle the education "carrot" in front of the player's parents. Okimoto's decision at Farrington to not scrimmage private schools in fear of recruitment is the a prime example of why the merger will not happen.
Also, my understanding is that Punahou is prostituting itself academically by having special classes--or at least, a separate academic track--for its football players. (Correct me if that's not true).
wtf is correct me if I'm wrong...smh Bruh you either know for sure or stfu with your b!tch mouth...yeah that's what b!tches do run from the mouth not knowing if it's true or not
I get my information about high-school football from all kinds of sources: Some from high-school kids who are on their school's football team, some from adults who stay close to high-school football because they played when they were in school. I got the tidbit in my last post from an adult in a responsible position. Just the same, I'm willing to have someone correct me if he knows the claim isn't true. So, I offered that claim for discussion and possible refutation. If the source weren't an adult in a responsible position, I would never have offered the claim. Isn't that what a forum like this is for? None of us has a corner on truth, so I would imagine that a forum like this, is the place to (civilly) evaluate claims. At least I didn't arrogantly offer the claim as holy writ, but instead held it open for possible refutation. Did that warrant such a rude response from you? AllTheRightMoves also apparently thought that your response was over-the-top. (By the way, thank-you, AllTheRightMoves. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of guys on this forum appreciate your post as an effort to keep this forum civil.)

Undftd
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Undftd »

Not true. I went to punahou and was in that "track." I played soccer i'd say that its 50% atheletes but most definelty not all, and specifically not all football players. many players are in the honors courses.
Sorry for swags comments i know you meant know harm but its absolutely not true, there are not any special programs for the football players.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

itshandled
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by itshandled »

huki-lau-lau wrote:in all fairness kahuku is not completely innocent when it comes to transfers too. its just that we are so far out there in the country that its hard for a kid in ewa beach to say "heck with cambell i wanna play for kahuku!", they cant do that unless they have family out in kahuku and can move there which technically turns into a legal transfer. but as the article reports, mililani is in such a great location that a kid from waianae or kalihi could easily drive to school every day and it is happening everywhere there in central and leeward oahu.

its not a knock on mililani but as the article stated "if you build it they will come", york has done a great job with that program. the problem im having with that statement is that york built the elite success of the program off the backs of transfers. mililani has always had good atheletes but not enough to contend for titles, it wasnt until a few stud transfers last year had helped the trojans over the hump that the town got really energized and realistic about winning a state title.

kahuku has gone through the same "build it and they will come" process, but the difference is that we built it off the backs of our homegrown talent starting in the 70's/80's and my younger brother them continued to build it in the 90's contenting for prep bowl titles with st.louis but always coming up short, during these decades I couldnt tell you one football player that transfered to our school. inoke funaki years in 1999/2000 when kahuku finaly won a state title and the town went ballistic then i noticed at the turn of the decade that cousins or nephews from outside our district (heck out of state too) came to play football at kahuku.

another angle to kahukus "build it and they will come" success is not only did it attract a few new kids into the program but it also attracted the recruiting eyes of punahou and st.louis. every year we have twice as much kids transfering out of our program to the ILH then we do transfering in (if any on some years).

how can you compete with a private school educational environment and facilities? if we as a public school community are just going to lay down and accept the fact that its better for our kids to go to private school then public school then we should eliminate all inter-sports between the two conferences. what fun is it for the public schools when kamehameah wins all the girl volleyball tourney every year and iolani wins the basketball, and punahou wins everything else?
I like the Trojans. But I agree with 100% of everything you said. Private schools are almost impossible to contend with. Even with this understanding, I can only imagine that if one of my kids were offered a free private school education that it would very difficult for me to turn it down. Especially when all that is requested from them in return is for my child to play a sport they excel at and love.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Undftd wrote:

Not true. I went to punahou and was in that "track." I played soccer i'd say that its 50% atheletes but most definelty not all, and specifically not all football players. many players are in the honors courses.
Sorry for swags comments i know you meant know harm but its absolutely not true, there are not any special programs for the football players.
I thank you for your conciliatory comments; they show that you have class.
Now the question is: How long ago were you at Punahou? My source gave me the impression that this "separate track" for the football players was started very recently, perhaps like this year or last year. I again welcome (civil) responses from anyone regarding the veracity of this claim. Perhaps we can get to the bottom of this.

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

Fanatic, undftd, et al.

There is no "track" for football players or anyone else. There are different levels of courses in many departments: Science (ex. Chem/Chem honors/AP Chem), Math ( Honors, "Regular", Basic College Prep), Foreign Language (Honors or Regular). There are AP courses in every department (except English and Music), that have a national, university level, curriculum. A kid can choose an honors course in one dept and a regular course in another department. and an AP course in a third department. It's rare for a kid to take all their courses at one "level."

The other unfortunate misconception is that somehow Punahou students' academic achievements have suffered in the years since it's achieved prominence on the football field. That's simply not true. Punahou consistently has 20-25 kids qualify as National Merit semi-finalists every year. Iolani has a similar number with half the student body; no other school in Hawaii this year had more than one semifinalist. Punahou's average SAT scores are on a par with Iolani's, AND Punahou sends an unusually high number of student athletes to Division 1 schools like Oregon, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon St., Harvard, Cal, Colorado, Wyoming, Pepperdine, Loyola Marymount, Columbia, Brown, etc. Punahou sends about 4% of its graduates every year to Div 1 schools with scholarships---15 or so students a year on average--in sports ranging from Water Polo to volleyball to baseball to riflery to football. This isn't meant to be bragging; it's simply a fact.

It's also a fact that high schools all over the island, not just Kahuku, have lost kids to Punahou.
Last edited by whatdoesthefoxsay on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

no need to argue about the puanhou prestige we can all agree its good. but u need to back up your statements with stats not assumed facts.
-------------------

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Sorry, I don't understand your question. Fanatic asked if there was a track and I explained that there wasn't a track. Do you want the course schedules for each football player on the team? You're dreaming.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:Sorry, I don't understand your question. Fanatic asked if there was a track and I explained that there wasn't a track. Do you want the course schedules for each football player on the team? You're dreaming.
u obviosly didt go to punahou because ur reading comprehension is bad and i didnt go there either because my grammar is bad, i said back up your claims about all that fluff u mention...

"sends an unusually high number of student athletes to Division 1"
"Punahou sends about 4% of its graduates"
"15 or so students a year on average"
" Punahou consistently has 20-25 kids qualify as National Merit semi-finalists every year."

...wahts the exact numbers per year? because assuhumpitons are just that "a$$ u hump tons!
-------------------

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

be nice and I'll play.

twnoexcuses
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by twnoexcuses »

Huki, here's some stats: http://www.punahou.edu/bulletin/detail/ ... inkId=2448
huki-lau-lau wrote:
whatdoesthefoxsay wrote:Sorry, I don't understand your question. Fanatic asked if there was a track and I explained that there wasn't a track. Do you want the course schedules for each football player on the team? You're dreaming.
u obviosly didt go to punahou because ur reading comprehension is bad and i didnt go there either because my grammar is bad, i said back up your claims about all that fluff u mention...

"sends an unusually high number of student athletes to Division 1"
"Punahou sends about 4% of its graduates"
"15 or so students a year on average"
" Punahou consistently has 20-25 kids qualify as National Merit semi-finalists every year."

...wahts the exact numbers per year? because assuhumpitons are just that "a$$ u hump tons!

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

thanks for the help, excuses.

huki, there's no doubt Punahou football wouldn't be where it is if it weren't for the North Shore kids. They not only bring talent, they bring humility and courage, and guts. Punahou's lucky to have them.

Have a safe weekend.