Kapolei’s Hurricane goes north to Kahuku

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Kapolei’s Hurricane goes north to Kahuku

Post by halaokolele »

Torres was never this bad! I actually liked the smash mouth stuyle

That QB would never get a D1 offer if he did not play TE last year,

Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

halaokolele wrote:Torres was never this bad! I actually liked the smash mouth stuyle

Actually he played QB last year too. He has offers because he has good size/speed and D1 potential and performs well at camps.

I believe Kahuku was becoming too predictable. Defenses would stack 8-9 guys in the box and shut/slow down the run. I like that we are mixing it up now. Remember, last year we lost 5 games, so it was "this bad".

As far as your comment that the upcoming kids will go to Punahou, we actually had many boys come back home to play for Kahuku after hiring coach Leslie. Even if some do end up going to ILH, then that is nothing new. We will still love and cheer for them, like we do for all our Kahuku boys who play in the ILH.

Go Big Red!!!

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

halaokolele wrote:Torres was never this bad! I actually liked the smash mouth stuyle

tuli the QB got noticed at mainland camps back in the 10th grade he is legit and should be a stud at TE for utah. those mainland camps is the way to go now days to get recognized, he would probably be the best TE this year in Hawaii but we don't have a QB so bless his heart that he sacrifice for the team.

my personal opinion was that there may have been one bad apple on reggies staff whom did not sit well with some of the parents whose kids are now coming up through the program, besides the normal depletion of athletes to the ILH every year there was a small exodus of jv players that left for the mainland. I don't know the reasons why the new principal cleaned house last year but after hiring new coach leslie these players came back and are some of the starters u see. make ur own conclusions to that situation.

last year torres had a problem, he did not have enough stud athletes to supply the offense and defense so he put all his eggs in one basket and went with an offensive team and gave up points on the defensive side which did not work out well.

this year leslie started out the same and was offensive minded, but after being exposed against Kaiser they realized that kahukus strength that set them apart from other programs is defensive minded athletes. so now all the eggs are in one basket on the defensive side of the ball and I believe that is the best option for them, win on special teams and defense because as much as they might want to try they cannot keep up offensively with the top teams in the state. look at stlouis they can score but they cant defend, when they played mill and puns they got blown out. same would happen to kahuku in the playoffs if they tried to be offensive minded, im glad they are putting it all on the defense now we get chance.
-------------------

halaokolele
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by halaokolele »

[quote="huki-lau-lau"][quote="halaokolele"]Torres was never this bad! I actually liked the smash mouth stuyle

That QB would never get a D1 offer if he did not play TE last year,[/quote]

tuli the QB got noticed at mainland camps back in the 10th grade he is legit and should be a stud at TE for utah. those mainland camps is the way to go now days to get recognized, he would probably be the best TE this year in Hawaii but we don't have a QB so bless his heart that he sacrifice for the team.

my personal opinion was that there may have been one bad apple on reggies staff whom did not sit well with some of the parents whose kids are now coming up through the program, besides the normal depletion of athletes to the ILH every year there was a small exodus of jv players that left for the mainland. I don't know the reasons why the new principal cleaned house last year but after hiring new coach leslie these players came back and are some of the starters u see. make ur own conclusions to that situation.

last year torres had a problem, he did not have enough stud athletes to supply the offense and defense so he put all his eggs in one basket and went with an offensive team and gave up points on the defensive side which did not work out well.

this year leslie started out the same and was offensive minded, but after being exposed against Kaiser they realized that kahukus strength that set them apart from other programs is defensive minded athletes. so now all the eggs are in one basket on the defensive side of the ball and I believe that is the best option for them, win on special teams and defense because as much as they might want to try they cannot keep up offensively with the top teams in the state. look at stlouis they can score but they cant defend, when they played mill and puns they got blown out. same would happen to kahuku in the playoffs if they tried to be offensive minded, im glad they are putting it all on the defense now we get chance.[/quote]
Thanks for the info! you seem to be much closer to the situation than I am; for me perhaps I expected a little more offensively but the D is good

kanakattack
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by kanakattack »

Lots of penalties called, mostly against Kahuku. Some were legit, but some were questionable (phantom). Amazing that Kahuku has to deal with more penalties called against them then the visiting team. Stop punishing agressive play by the red raiders. having said all that,the biggest non call was the holding by the Kahuku receiver #1 on the quarterbacks scoring run, as he tackled the Kapolei db #22. That would make it out to be a 0-0 game up until the safety. It wouldve been interesting to see a kahuku defense win the game 2-0 in a defensive battle, kind of like a pitchers duel in baseball. I hope the refs let the 4 teams remaining play aggressively in the playoffs.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

huki-lau-lau wrote:

this year leslie started out the same and was offensive minded, but after being exposed against Kaiser they realized that kahukus strength that set them apart from other programs is defensive minded athletes. so now all the eggs are in one basket on the defensive side of the ball and I believe that is the best option for them, win on special teams and defense because as much as they might want to try they cannot keep up offensively with the top teams in the state. look at stlouis they can score but they cant defend, when they played mill and puns they got blown out. same would happen to kahuku in the playoffs if they tried to be offensive minded, im glad they are putting it all on the defense now we get chance.
I know the defense had its problems but they adjusted unlike the offense whom they like to run with tuli
who is very slow. Now is the time to make that adjusts because the remaining teams on the brackets can all put points on the board and we need to put points too. Jv coach should've took over the varsity

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

harus0ra wrote:

I know the defense had its problems but they adjusted unlike the offense whom they like to run with tuli
who is very slow. Now is the time to make that adjusts because the remaining teams on the brackets can all put points on the board and we need to put points too. Jv coach should've took over the varsity
if u are a fan of kahuku please tell us your suggestions as to how to make the offense better given our current student atheletes on the team
1. put sala wily, pena, and soli back on offense? well that depletes the defense, and there is no one else good enough to fill those defensive positions.
2. sala wily, pena, and soli are the reason the defense is so good

if u guys didnt notice, the ofensive line is struggling too, inexperience and lack of athleticism. Leslie solved that problem by bringing big #51 from the DT to play spot duty on the oline, it worked on that one passing TD that got called back. the problem is that we dont have enough athletes for both sides of the ball, either commit to the defense or offense, or do you want to burn them out and let them play fulltime on both sides of the ball, u do that and even kaiser can beat you.

so once again please tell us what you would do?
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

huki-lau-lau wrote:im guessing a dr jeckle mr hyde for kahuku. they looked terrible tonight but will be good next week at the stadium against farrington.

mililani, cambell nor farrington was able to shut down kapolei this season but kahuku D did it tonight holding them to 0 points. the most underated defense in the state and still getting better because another adjustment was made in the defense and they played better, unfortunately the offense cant get any better the only hopes we have is for the O to not play bad and we should have a fighting chance.
Hate to say this, but if Kahuku's O can't get any better, Kahuku isn't going to go very far. At least, they won't get past Mililani.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote:

Actually he played QB last year too. He has offers because he has good size/speed and D1 potential and performs well at camps.

I believe Kahuku was becoming too predictable. Defenses would stack 8-9 guys in the box and shut/slow down the run. I like that we are mixing it up now. Remember, last year we lost 5 games, so it was "this bad".

As far as your comment that the upcoming kids will go to Punahou, we actually had many boys come back home to play for Kahuku after hiring coach Leslie. Even if some do end up going to ILH, then that is nothing new. We will still love and cheer for them, like we do for all our Kahuku boys who play in the ILH.

Go Big Red!!!
I think if Kahuku grads want to see their alma mater beat Punahou any time soon, they need to stop "cheering" for the Kahuku players who transfer to Punahou. Those kids are hurting Kahuku.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

huki-lau-lau wrote:

Well, I think St Louis' D got better over the past several weeks; they held Kamehameha's offense to 20 points Friday night.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Aitorahi wrote:

Go Big Red!!!
I think if Kahuku grads want to see their alma mater beat Punahou any time soon, they need to stop "cheering" for the Kahuku players who transfer to Punahou. Those kids are hurting Kahuku.
You do know that they cheer for us too right? If you look at punahou alot those starters are from the north shore. Sometimes you see them with there families at our games wearing Kahuku shirts

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
harus0ra wrote:

if u are a fan of kahuku please tell us your suggestions as to how to make the offense better given our current student atheletes on the team
1. put sala wily, pena, and soli back on offense? well that depletes the defense, and there is no one else good enough to fill those defensive positions.
2. sala wily, pena, and soli are the reason the defense is so good

if u guys didnt notice, the ofensive line is struggling too, inexperience and lack of athleticism. Leslie solved that problem by bringing big #51 from the DT to play spot duty on the oline, it worked on that one passing TD that got called back. the problem is that we dont have enough athletes for both sides of the ball, either commit to the defense or offense, or do you want to burn them out and let them play fulltime on both sides of the ball, u do that and even kaiser can beat you.

so once again please tell us what you would do?
You don't need soli on offense because kesi is better than soli but your right about sala and Pena playing both sides they do seem to get tired fast. As I said go back to the I formation and just run like the old days and it's easier for them to move the chains. They had so many years with a crapy offense and they still put up numbers and it will build some confidence for oline.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

harus0ra wrote:
You don't need soli on offense because kesi is better than soli but your right about sala and Pena playing both sides they do seem to get tired fast. As I said go back to the I formation and just run like the old days and it's easier for them to move the chains. They had so many years with a crapy offense and they still put up numbers and it will build some confidence for oline.
who do you think is going to be the featured backs in the I, please list a RB and a FB, once again you dont want to put sala or pena because we need them on defense.
if you have watched all the red raider games you will clearly understand the evolution of the offense and not just blurt out non-sense (no offense).

the very first game of the season kesi fumbled on our first drive against kapolei and kapolei turned that into a touchdown. that play was the first of many showing us that 1, the oline cant sustain their blocks, 2, kesi is still a young sophmore that still need to develop in physical strength to hold on to the ball. this year kesi should be used more as a slot rather then a RB, he can hit the holes fast but when there are no holes he gets hit and loses the ball.

another thing i notice about the passing game is that our QB does not read the defense it seems like he has his mind already made up to where he is going to throw the ball, that point is eivident because in the beginning of the season all those passing plays were working but as teams started to scout us they would drop a linebacker into those areas and our QB would still throw it there.

times are changing, kahuku doesnt have the big bomboolas on the oline this year.
-------------------

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
harus0ra wrote:
who do you think is going to be the featured backs in the I, please list a RB and a FB, once again you dont want to put sala or pena because we need them on defense.
if you have watched all the red raider games you will clearly understand the evolution of the offense and not just blurt out non-sense (no offense).

the very first game of the season kesi fumbled on our first drive against kapolei and kapolei turned that into a touchdown. that play was the first of many showing us that 1, the oline cant sustain their blocks, 2, kesi is still a young sophmore that still need to develop in physical strength to hold on to the ball. this year kesi should be used more as a slot rather then a RB, he can hit the holes fast but when there are no holes he gets hit and loses the ball.

another thing i notice about the passing game is that our QB does not read the defense it seems like he has his mind already made up to where he is going to throw the ball, that point is eivident because in the beginning of the season all those passing plays were working but as teams started to scout us they would drop a linebacker into those areas and our QB would still throw it there.

times are changing, kahuku doesnt have the big bomboolas on the oline this year.
I know what you mean but running has a better chance than the passing. Your right tho about them scouting and making it hard for our offense to be successful when we're predictable, that's why they need to run the ball with a lead blocker. How bout you tell me what they should do?

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

harus0ra wrote:
I know what you mean but running has a better chance than the passing. Your right tho about them scouting and making it hard for our offense to be successful when we're predictable, that's why they need to run the ball with a lead blocker. How bout you tell me what they should do?
I agree with you in that the history of our program says that we are successful running rather then passing, but we simply dont have the proper RB or oline to play smash mouth this year, if you disagree please tell me what player you would have playing at those positions because randomly saying
"they need to run with a lead blocker.." or
"Jv coach should've took over the varsity.."

...is not address the problems that our team is facing.

you got to remember that sterling carvalho who is the OC was also the OC when reggie started coaching in 2005, in fact there are a number of current assistant coaches that were on reggies championship teams, you dont think that they know how to play kahuku football? for that reason I have always been nuetral as a critic of our offense, i beleieve anything that can be done is being done to help that offense and I do see a number of adjustments made every game, some have worked and some have failed, Leslie and Sterling are doing super with what they got.
-------------------