Football field/stadium upgrades

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Football field/stadium upgrades

Post by EITSwarrior »

Which public high schools would you like to see get field/stadium upgrades? All HS should get one to get a true high school football experience, but with the DOE budget the way it is, only a select few have priority. I believe McKinley and Farrington should get one in my opinion.

On the private school side, as a Saint Louis alum, I would love it if the Crusaders would have a true home field. Probably won't happen though due to geography and noise concerns.

But anyway what do you guys think.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: Football field/stadium upgrades

Post by Birdman316 »

EITSwarrior wrote:Which public high schools would you like to see get field/stadium upgrades? All HS should get one to get a true high school football experience, but with the DOE budget the way it is, only a select few have priority. I believe McKinley and Farrington should get one in my opinion.

On the private school side, as a Saint Louis alum, I would love it if the Crusaders would have a true home field. Probably won't happen though due to geography and noise concerns.

Kahuku and Waianae for upgrades. It's a joke that the two most storied OIA programs play on fields that look old as hell.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

EITSwarrior wrote:Which public high schools would you like to see get field/stadium upgrades? All HS should get one to get a true high school football experience, but with the DOE budget the way it is, only a select few have priority. I believe McKinley and Farrington should get one in my opinion.

There just aren't enough parking solutions at Kalaepohaku. Not possible.

Rocket95
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Rocket95 »

Birdman316 wrote:

Kahuku and Waianae for upgrades. It's a joke that the two most storied OIA programs play on fields that look old as hell.
Gotta agree with the Birdman. Top 5 schools that needs the upgrade

1. Kahuku
2: Waianae
3: Kasier (Home field for various HS)
4: Campbell
5: Farrington

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

saynotomercs wrote:

Not even with the new parking structure? And of course it would depend on the capacity of a stadium.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Reason I picked Farrington or McKinley is their location so they be used as home fields for multiple HS.

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

EITSwarrior wrote:
saynotomercs wrote:

Not even with the new parking structure? And of course it would depend on the capacity of a stadium.
I haven't been over to St. Louis in a while but there's got to be more parking over there than Roosevelt right? I wonder how much the Makiki neighbors love games at Vascocellos Stadium

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

^^^You are right, STL should have more parking than Roosevelt. But I dont know how STL and Chaminade split parking and how it would work if both schools have sporting events at the same time.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

EITSwarrior wrote:Reason I picked Farrington or McKinley is their location so they be used as home fields for multiple HS.
I believe McKinley's field is still greenlit. Just waiting for more fund...like everything else.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

1. Doesn't Farrington already have a stadium, complete with lights? And even if the lights aren't working, they can still have day games there, like Iolani and Punahou.
2. Don't see why St Louis can't have a stadium, but they'll have to build more bleachers. As for noise, look at Moanalua: There are homes and apartments right next to their stadium.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

Birdman316 wrote:

Didn't Waianae just get new bleachers?

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Perhaps the emphasis should be placed upon getting every student equal resources needed for their education rather than starting an arms' race with stadiums. It is important for fields and any school infrastructure to be safe and usable however it seems like we should be careful about what is emphasized more.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:

1. Doesn't Farrington already have a stadium, complete with lights? And even if the lights aren't working, they can still have day games there, like Iolani and Punahou.
2. Don't see why St Louis can't have a stadium, but they'll have to build more bleachers. As for noise, look at Moanalua: There are homes and apartments right next to their stadium.
1. I haven't laid eyes on Farrington's field in a couple years other than passing by on the freeway. What I remember it being is that the field was game worthy, but their is not much seats for fans.
2. I guess you're right on the noise considering Moanalua. They could put in more bleachers, but how much? I would think that STL would like the seating capacity to at least match Kamehameha and Punahou. Also I just thought of it but the stadium lights might be a concern of the community. I don't know how the community really feels about it but it might be a concern of theirs.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

EITSwarrior wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:

1. I haven't laid eyes on Farrington's field in a couple years other than passing by on the freeway. What I remember it being is that the field was game worthy, but their is not much seats for fans.
2. I guess you're right on the noise considering Moanalua. They could put in more bleachers, but how much? I would think that STL would like the seating capacity to at least match Kamehameha and Punahou. Also I just thought of it but the stadium lights might be a concern of the community. I don't know how the community really feels about it but it might be a concern of theirs.
Well, are stadium lights a concern for the Salt Lake community? (Moanalua High is actually located in Salt Lake, not Moanalua. The school should have been named Salt Lake High. Salt Lake Menehunes.). If it's not a concern for them, should it be a concern for the Kalaepohaku community? Moanalua has had its stadium--with lights--for decades. And here's the thing: With St Louis' astroturf--or whatever they call it that they have--St Louis has a better field than do Moanalua, Iolani, Punahou, and Kamehameha.

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

The next DOE Oahu schools slated to get track and/or field improvements are.....
- Campbell HS
- Farrington HS
- McKinley HS
- Nanakuli High and Intermediate School
- Waipahu HS

.....some with construction contracts already awarded and scheduled to start next year.....