2016 Top Five Prospects In Hawaii Ranked

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Re: 2016 Top Five Prospects In Hawaii Ranked

Post by unpaid »

Forgive my senior moment here,but,I am going to have to comment on that Kahuku 1969 OIA championship football team. What that squad did with what was available was and still is truly amazing to me. I was a sophomore at Radford in the fall of '69.

If I remember correctly,the Red Raiders only blemish on a 8-0-1 record (not counting the Turkey Bowl game at old Honolulu Stadium) was a tie-score against Waianae.

Kahuku had around 800 hs kids at the time.They were competing against two schools who where near over 4.000 in enrollment like Kailua and Castle. Radford was around 3100 to 3500. Basically,at the time,probably the only school who had a smaller enrollment was Waialua(which was never a big school).Every one else was over a thousand as I remember.

Here is the really amazing thing. Coach Anae started different players on both sides of the ball.He had the guys to platoon....used 22 different starters and those guys were collectively good enough to take the title. My school ,even at 3'000 plus enrollment with a 50+ squad had some guys play both ways.....but Coach Anae was maybe the first HC to platoon successfully in Hawaii hs football. He was fortunate enough to have the right 22 guys to do it.Trying to remember some names....there were two Nihipali brothers( could have been cousins),and big nose tackle last name Aalona I think.

Kahuku still getting it done with a 1000 or so student enrollment even though they are in D-I.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2016 Top Five Prospects In Hawaii Ranked

Post by huki-lau-lau »

MauiRaider wrote:Huki-lau-lau, you seemed to know a lot about Kahuku this year. Can you give me your take
this not a re-building year
not a re-loading year either (thank you stlouis puns for taking our elite players every year)
so like lastyear we just re-thinking!
nobody knws what it look like till game 1 and even then we will see a differetn team come time for playoffs. typical kahuku football.
-------------------