2016 Top Five Prospects In Hawaii Ranked

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
ManuSamoa
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

2016 Top Five Prospects In Hawaii Ranked

Post by ManuSamoa »

http://recruiting.scout.com/story/14357 ... -in-hawaii
There are currently five 2016 prospects in the Hawaii ranked as a three-star prospect or higher heading into fall. These guys are worth becoming familiar with...

1. DREW KOBAYASHI is Hawaii's lone four-star early on. The St. Louis wide receiver has a great combination of size and speed, that is rare for somebody going into their junior year. At 6-2 1/2 185 pounds, Kobayashi has run multiple 4.5 40's (laser-timed). He is very likely the fastest athlete in Hawaii and he is arguably one of the fastest receivers in the entire class of 2016. Kobayashi is also a student of the game. The young receiver spent his entire offseason working on improving his route running and footwork. Kobayashi has a lot of interest early on, but with a big junior year, interest should manifest into offers.

2. VAVAE MALEPEAI: Malepeai is a great all-purpose running back. The Mililani junior can run inside or outside, he has good hands out of the backfield, and he is an asset in pass protection. Malepeai has good speed, but that's no what sets him apart. He has very good vision and patience. The young running back does a great job of setting up his blockers. Malepeai has a chance to be one of the best running backs to come out of Hawaii. He has a few early offers, including Colorado and Washington.

3. TOLEAFOA AUWAE: "Sean" Auwae is a mauler for Kapolei. He has a big frame, quick feet, and plays with the right amount of nastiness. Auwae was one of the best interior linemen at the All Poly Camp in Utah this summer, holding his own against some of the best 2015 prospects in the country. There is a lot of early interest for the 2016 guard. BYU and Oregon are two schools standing out early to Auwae.

4. MICHAEL ELETISE: Eletise was another standout at the All Poly Camp, walking away with MVP honors. The Kaiser offensive tackle looks like he best suited to move inside at the next level. He has the size, speed, and explosiveness to be a great guard. Eletise has an early offer from Colorado, but he looks like a prospect that could end up with double digit offers.

5. HIRKLEY LATU: Latu is the type of defensive back that would get Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks fired up. The Kahuku junior is every bit of 6-3 200 pounds and has a monstrous wingspan. Latu can play anything from cornerback to outside linebacker and looks good doing it. At All-Poly he played cornerback and came away with MVP honors as the top defensive back. He has a few early offers, with BYU and Utah standing out early.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by ManuSamoa on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: 2016 Top Five Prospects In Hawaii Ranked

Post by huki-lau-lau »

ManuSamoa wrote:
5. Hirkley Latu: Latu is the type of defensive back that would get Pete Carroll and the Seattle Seahawks fired up. The Kahuku junior is every bit of 6-3 200 pounds and has a monstrous wingspan. Latu can play anything from cornerback to outside linebacker and looks good doing it. At All-Poly he played cornerback and came away with MVP honors as the top defensive back. He has a few early offers, with BYU and Utah standing out early.
after observing this season for kahuku Latu doesnt have the speed or awareness to cover as a defensive back, the two long bombs that kaiser had for td was off him, in the leilehua and waianae game they moved him to OLB and he doesnt have the strength to shed blockers, seen a few holes open up right by him in the waianae game. I think he is a project in development and his length is a plus for batting down passes that come his way. His football instincts and strength need to improve immensely for his senior year next season and i hope it does because i want big red to contend for titles everyyear. If football is his passion I can see him blooming in college but right now he looks like a basketball player trying to play football. doing good at an off season camp and doing good in a live game are two different things as we all witness with the 5-star DT at farrington.
-------------------

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

Possible honorable mention to this list:

La'akea Kaho'ohanohano-Davis - Baldwin, 6'-1" 180, All Purpose Athlete. Injured through the first half of the season, did not play in any league games. Tremendous athleticism and explosiveness. Plays mostly safety and wideout.

Soane Vaohea - Maui, 5'-10" 200 OLB/RB. Explosive and fast. Good agility and can play well in space.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

I wonder how many of these guys and members of the class of 2017 will be "recruited" by Las Vegas Bishop Gorman?

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

Avei Lualemana DT Aiea High School :D

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

One guy from the ILH that doesnt get too much attention, Wayne Taulapapa. Hes a great running back but doesnt get the attention of Mamiya and Malepeai

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

Next year keep an eye on KS-Hawaii OL Kelii Montibon, 6'3 270 and growing. An athlete with quick feet and good technique. Two time 1st team All BIIF OL and although one of the top baseball players on the island, he will focus on Football this off season working out with Manly Kanoa.

MeetLoaf
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by MeetLoaf »

Keala Santiago Jr. - Kahuku should be on that list.

A play maker on both sides of the ball as a WR and DB plus Special Teams Return man.

Made most the 1st Team All State teams for 2014.

Already has a couple of D-1 offers.

Meet!

Defend_Yourself_808
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Defend_Yourself_808 »

Here's my top 5

1. Mckenzie Milton - QB
2. Wayne Taulapapa - HB
3. Kalakaua Timoteo - WR
4. Keala Santiago - DB
5. Terrell Johnson - HB

These boys will make a lot of noise in 2015

HawaiiUnderRadar
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HawaiiUnderRadar »

Wayne Taulapapa actually holds offers from BYU Provo, Colorado and UNLV. Currently also talking to Army and Hawaii.

kulolo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kulolo »

my Top 5
1. Vavae Malepeai
2. Kalakaua Timoteo
3. Manaia Atuaia
4. Mckenzie Milton
5. Keala Santiago

Drew Kobayashi is overrated. He's a combine kid that has good times and measures. But, he earned himself lots of offers that way. Congrats!!
Hirkley Latu is also overrated. Santiago makes him look good because he's playing over the top. I only know what Santiago and Gilman did last year and heard nothing
from Latu. I hope Latu can show me why BYU loves him because I can name a lot of kids that BYU can use. Is Mark Atuaia the recruiting coach for BYU? Hmmmm...
Very interesting!!!

alohaaserved
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by alohaaserved »

kulolo wrote:my Top 5
1. Vavae Malepeai
2. Kalakaua Timoteo
3. Manaia Atuaia
4. Mckenzie Milton
5. Keala Santiago

Drew Kobayashi is overrated. He's a combine kid that has good times and measures. But, he earned himself lots of offers that way. Congrats!!
Hirkley Latu is also overrated. Santiago makes him look good because he's playing over the top. I only know what Santiago and Gilman did last year and heard nothing
from Latu. I hope Latu can show me why BYU loves him because I can name a lot of kids that BYU can use. Is Mark Atuaia the recruiting coach for BYU? Hmmmm...
Very interesting!!!

You say Kobayashi is overrated.. What makes you think that?

kulolo
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by kulolo »

Drew does good against teams that don't have good CB's. Drew needs to be more physical and set the tone. He needs to run hard on on routes even if he aint getting the ball. I heard from coaches that when he isn't getting the ball he jus jogs and on run plays he doesn't maintain his blocks. He was taken out of some games because of his attitude. Remember there is no I in team. Drew only runs streaks or deep post because he's so fast and the CB and Safeties are slow. Occasionly he runs
10-12 outs because corners that are slow are playing 15 yards off and sometimes Drew still runs by them. Hardly ever seen him run routes across the middle and maybe its not in the St. Louis system to have him do that. When being pressed by good corners he has a hard time getting off. Im sure if he watches videos of himself against teams that had good corners or videos of games he didn't do well, he will see what he has to do to get better. He can be a dominating receiver like Kanawai Noa

backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by backyard ballaz »

Kulolo...first off, you start a username because your school was being attacked about recruiting on here. Then you suddenly recite plays first hand from the Max Exposure camp. You obviously feel very high about a lot of players from Mililani, and I don't disagree with you. But you do realize that putting players down on here won't elevate yourself right? I'd be reluctant to call you a coach or parent associated with Mililani because I can't imagine someone over 20 years old using the grammar and shorthand that you do. You created a new username/joined this site to defend players/school/coaches...don't contradict your intent by bashing others.

alohaaserved
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by alohaaserved »

kulolo wrote:Drew does good against teams that don't have good CB's. Drew needs to be more physical and set the tone. He needs to run hard on on routes even if he aint getting the ball. I heard from coaches that when he isn't getting the ball he jus jogs and on run plays he doesn't maintain his blocks. He was taken out of some games because of his attitude. Remember there is no I in team. Drew only runs streaks or deep post because he's so fast and the CB and Safeties are slow. Occasionly he runs
10-12 outs because corners that are slow are playing 15 yards off and sometimes Drew still runs by them. Hardly ever seen him run routes across the middle and maybe its not in the St. Louis system to have him do that. When being pressed by good corners he has a hard time getting off. Im sure if he watches videos of himself against teams that had good corners or videos of games he didn't do well, he will see what he has to do to get better. He can be a dominating receiver like Kanawai Noa
Okay thank you , just wanted to know what I have to work on ! I appreciate that you see things that I can be short on. and I'll make sure to work on it this season.