OIA Division 1 Play-Offs Too Big?

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

OIA Division 1 Play-Offs Too Big?

Post by politclyincrekt »

Am I the only one who would rather see a longer regular season than a 1-6 team make the play-offs? Only 2 teams in a division of 14 miss the play-offs. That seems a bit ridiculous. I would rather take the top 4 teams from each conference and extend the regular season by 2 weeks than have the season end after only 7 games. My cousin's high school in California plays a regular season of 10 games before the CIF Central Coast play-offs (their season runs from beginning of September to the beginning of December). This doesn't even include the state tournament.

There is absolutely no valid argument for having a play-off as large as ours. If you want to give more teams more playing time, then what about the 2 teams left out? They end their season after only 7 games while the other 12 teams continue? Why not give all the teams another 1 or 2 games then end the season for half? That to me makes a little more sense. Instead, the OIA has a play-off that's practically meaningless. It's basically an extended regular season minus the 2 worst (and more often than not, winless) teams. The next two bottom teams (with only one win and no business in any post season scenario) get to suffer one more game against #3 seeds with winning records.

I say extend the regular season 2 more weeks. Schedule another crossover game and maybe a game vs. ILH (they seem to be hurting for Division I competition). Get rid of that first round bye (seriously, it's the play-offs). And only allow the best 4 teams into the play-offs (sorry Waipahu and Aiea). But the way it is now, it's literally one win and you're in. Sure you're fighting for seeding and maybe pride. But fighting for an actual berth is much more convincing.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: OIA Division 1 Play-Offs Too Big?

Post by rrforlifebaby »

I agree. Bottom 2 teams from each division shouldn't make playoffs. Increase regular season games, or at least allow more crossover and or preseason games.

For states, I would rather see top 3 OIA teams vs 4, which should allow for a 2nd ILH team.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

rrforlifebaby wrote:I agree. Bottom 2 teams from each division shouldn't make playoffs. Increase regular season games, or at least allow more crossover and or preseason games.

For states, I would rather see top 3 OIA teams vs 4, which should allow for a 2nd ILH team.
As for states, the OIA already only has 3 berths (3 OIA, 1 ILH, 1 MIL, and 1 BIIF).

My suggestion for states is that each league earns one berth (yes, even OIA). Following the OIA final and 3rd place games, there is one additional week of ILH vs. OIA for the remaining wild card berths (OIA #2 vs. ILH #3; ILH #2 vs. OIA #3).

As for adding games to the season, this would be my suggested formula:
  • 1 game against every team in own conference (6 games)
  • 1 game against the team from opposing conference that ended with the same regular season standing (1 game)
  • If team finished in the top 4 of the OIA play-offs, 1 game against ILH Division 1 + Iolani with the same standing (OIA #1 vs. ILH #1, OIA #4 vs. Iolani, etc.)(1 game)
  • If team did not finish in top 4, 1 game against team from opposite conference with corresponding play-off standing (Blue #7 vs. Red #3; Red #6 vs. Blue #4); #5 teams play again (1 game)
  • Pre-season game not counted in regular season standings (1 game)
This is a 9 game, 10 week schedule (of which 8 games count toward regular season standings).

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

The Red and Blue divisions consist of seven teams. I would say a winning record within the divsion in leagues that size should be a requirement. I would like to see only the top three teams in each of the two divisions make the playoffs with the Red and Blue champs getting a bye and then facing the winner of the 2nd vs. 3rd finishers.

The losers of the semifinal would play each other with the winner getting the OIA 3 team into states.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

What is the benefit of letting a one-win team in the playoffs? The first week of playoff games is a joke. Stop rewarding mediocrity!