Bishop Gorman vs. St. John Bosco

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Bishop Gorman vs. St. John Bosco

Post by SM96753 »

Anyone catch the game on ESPN last Friday? Gorman was ranked #2 in the nation by the USA Today while Bosco was ranked #1. Gorman won 34-31.

The Bosco running back (McGrew...I think that's his name) that ran wild over St. Louis couldn't get anything against Gorman. The Gaels filled the gaps and the kid could not break anything big which surprised me.

It's interesting to see how Gorman's players are from all over the country. People in Hawaii moan about schools recruiting from other districts; while Gorman recruits from other STATES.

Starting QB and KR/SB/PR transferred to Gorman this year from Poway in Southern California. Star WR Coradell Broadus transfers in this year from Diamond Bar in SoCal. Star linebacker Otukolo is originally from Hawaii but in all fairness, I don't know if he transferred to Gorman while already in high school.

This is where high school football is headed. Soon, it will be like prep basketball with college like recruiting systems.

rrforlifebaby
Play Maker
Play Maker

Re: Bishop Gorman vs. St. John Bosco

Post by rrforlifebaby »

Yup. Was a pretty good game. Gorman is pretty tough at home.
Gorman is doing on a regional scale what every other Private school around the nation has done for like ever in pretty much every state.
That's why it makes it more special when schools like Kahuku, Long Beach Poly, Grant(NorCal) win state championships.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Gorman's recruits come from across the nation and yes Otukolo came from Saint Louis HS and so is Haskell Garrett.

Hovah
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Hovah »

Bishop Gorman's lb was at St. Louis and played as a sophomore against Bishop Gorman when they came to Hawaii.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

Just look at Eagle Stadium at Allen High School, Allen, Texas. Their football team won the Division 5A Texas State Championship twice. The stadium closed this year due to cracking in the cement and the repairs will cost about $1 million. The stadium itself was originally $60 million when they first started construction in 2010 and no other team uses this stadium.

There's a lot of money in high school football, especially on the mainland. Albeit Allen High School has an enrollment of about 5000, but still.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

rrforlifebaby wrote: Gorman is doing on a regional scale what every other Private school around the nation has done for like ever in pretty much every state.
That's why it makes it more special when schools like Kahuku, Long Beach Poly, Grant(NorCal) win state championships.
I understand the "recruiting" dilemma. I've covered prep football for the past 25 years well before the internet was high school football's main source of data. I've attended games from Hawaii to North Carolina.

The people in Ohio gripe that St. Ignatius recruits all the talent from the Cleveland area. The people in Northern California complain that De La Salle recruits all the talent from the Bay area. The people in New Jersey whine about Don Bosco Prep recruiting all the talent off the turnpike.

I understand that; however, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman (to their credit), "recruits" talent not only from Nevada but from across the NATION. I guarantee you that in due time, this will be a very common trend amongst all high schools both private and public!

BTW, Southern California public schools have an open enrollment policy. For example, a kid can live in Riverside and attend Long Beach Poly for the purpose of playing sports. Santa Ana Mater Dei's AD Gary McKnight told me that this policy was implemented to even the athletic playing field for public and private schools.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

SM96753 wrote:
rrforlifebaby wrote: Gorman is doing on a regional scale what every other Private school around the nation has done for like ever in pretty much every state.
I understand the "recruiting" dilemma. I've covered prep football for the past 25 years well before the internet was high school football's main source of data. I've attended games from Hawaii to North Carolina.

The people in Ohio gripe that St. Ignatius recruits all the talent from the Cleveland area. The people in Northern California complain that De La Salle recruits all the talent from the Bay area. The people in New Jersey whine about Don Bosco Prep recruiting all the talent off the turnpike.

I understand that; however, Las Vegas Bishop Gorman (to their credit), "recruits" talent not only from Nevada but from across the NATION. I guarantee you that in due time, this will be a very common trend amongst all high schools both private and public!

BTW, Southern California public schools have an open enrollment policy. For example, a kid can live in Riverside and attend Long Beach Poly for the purpose of playing sports. Santa Ana Mater Dei's AD Gary McKnight told me that this policy was implemented to even the athletic playing field for public and private schools.

SM96753, What are some of the positives and negatives that you have seen in Southern California since this open enrollment policy started?
If that happened here would some of the smaller schools lose football all together?
The quality of football would indeed get better.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Smaller schools would not lose football...up to them.Small Hawaii schools have either kept (Kau),started(Hana).or reignited long dormant football programs(Molokai,Lanai) by going 8-man.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

unpaid wrote:Smaller schools would not lose football...up to them.Small Hawaii schools have either kept (Kau),started(Hana).or reignited long dormant football programs(Molokai,Lanai) by going 8-man.
So your saying that an open enrollment policy here in Hawaii would not hurt smaller schools? They would not lose players to other school districts if there were no geographic school boundaries? Hmm interesting.

2k_Hawaii
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: ATL Braves
NFL: SF 49ers

Post by 2k_Hawaii »

Issac Slade-Matautia from Kaiser is also on Bishop Gorman

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

2k_Hawaii wrote:Issac Slade-Matautia from Kaiser is also on Bishop Gorman
Slade-Matautia is at Saint Louis now. ILH rules say he has to sit out this season.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

EASTHONFAN wrote:
2k_Hawaii wrote:Issac Slade-Matautia from Kaiser is also on Bishop Gorman
Slade-Matautia is at Saint Louis now. ILH rules say he has to sit out this season.
Speaking of which...The man himself back at the helm of the Crusader ship can tell us all about high school recruiting and 18yr old Seniors.

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

EASTHONFAN wrote:
SM96753 wrote:

SM96753, What are some of the positives and negatives that you have seen in Southern California since this open enrollment policy started?
If that happened here would some of the smaller schools lose football all together?
The quality of football would indeed get better.
A few years ago, Baldwin played Mission Viejo in a non-league football game to kick off the football season. Gary McKnight, Santa Ana Mater Dei's AD and basketball coach, was at the game. Turns out that he and Mission Viejo's head football coach Bob Johnson are good friends.

I recognized him and knew who he was because he's extremely well know as one of the best prep basketball coaches in the country. Also, he's in charge of one of the top (if not the top) high school sports programs in the country.

Basically, he explained to me that eliminating district boundaries had one purpose for public school athletics, that is to eliminate the advantage that private school's have in "recruiting" student athletes from far away areas.

It creates a more even playing field. Think about it. What's the main gripe that you hear from OIA cronies on this forum when it comes to the ILH? Yup....recruitment. We hear it all the time, "Punahou gets this...St. Louis gets that"! With the elimination of district boundaries, public schools would have an even playing field from a personnel standpoint.

giversgain
Starter
Starter

Post by giversgain »

SM96753 wrote:
Basically, he explained to me that eliminating district boundaries had one purpose for public school athletics, that is to eliminate the advantage that private school's have in "recruiting" student athletes from far away areas.

It creates a more even playing field. Think about it. What's the main gripe that you hear from OIA cronies on this forum when it comes to the ILH? Yup....recruitment. We hear it all the time, "Punahou gets this...St. Louis gets that"! With the elimination of district boundaries, public schools would have an even playing field from a personnel standpoint
Eliminating district boundaries make sense from a sporting standpoint in Hawaii, however it'll will be very difficult to regulate from a logistics standpoint.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

If Hawaii went the way of SoCal,things would still work out.It's numbers.Talent would still get dispersed for a number of reasons.

1. There are only so many schools.Each school can only equip so many players.At some point,Punahou and Mililani,St.Louis,and Kamehameha would have to say sorry,we can' t field 100 players.

2.People are people....you want to be coached by the best but you wind up being one player out of 80 at Punahou...you aren'T getting a lot of playing time...you'll probably drop down a notch or two to a team that is still a contender,,but is also a school where you might get more signifigant PT as a starter rather than a benchwarmer.

3.In the end ,what is the difference. We have imbalances now and it is still the same basic contenders every year...so how will open enrollment for sports be any different.....still gonna have the haves and have nots.