The Swinging Gate and Other Trick Plays

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

The Swinging Gate and Other Trick Plays

Post by politclyincrekt »

When I was in high school in the 2000's (such a long time ago :wink: ) I remember Farrington would line up in the swinging gate before every PAT and field goal (when they played McKinley, anyway), then the line would move back center. A couple years ago McKinley would lateral their kick-off returns. I remember Kahuku had an awesome hook-and-lateral against Punahou in the 2012 HHSAA Championship. We don't see them very often here (mostly because they are hard and dangerous) but when was the last time a Hawaii high school ran a great trick play? What are some of your favorite trick plays?

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Re: The Swinging Gate and Other Trick Plays

Post by Neighbor »

I remember in the 2011 OIA White title game, Pearl City ran two hook and ladder plays. The first one going for a touchdown.
First one for a TD
Second one at the end of the game

And of course last year's title game with Mililani running two WR pass plays
First one
Second one

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

Can someone confirm that the Mililani plays against Punahou were legal. The debate I've heard is in regards to the handoff coming in front of the QB and then the RB passing the ball. If it was a pitch forward to the RB, then it would definitely be two forward passes and an illegal play. But I've never heard either for or against a handoff in front and then a forward pass, being illegal.

Mililani also tried a fake punt in that game, which did not result in a 1st down. I think Kahuku ran a couple of trick plays against Punahou and St. Louis in the state title and non-league games, but I don't remember whether they were successful or the breakdown.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

fanoffb wrote:Can someone confirm that the Mililani plays against Punahou were legal. The debate I've heard is in regards to the handoff coming in front of the QB and then the RB passing the ball. If it was a pitch forward to the RB, then it would definitely be two forward passes and an illegal play. But I've never heard either for or against a handoff in front and then a forward pass, being illegal.
Foreward handoffs have the same rules as a regular handoff. As long as the player is a back and the handoff occurs behind the line of scrimmage, the play is legal. Mililani's play is legal.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

I totally forgot but McKinley ran the Thundercat offense (2-3 runningbacks, 1 wide receiver, and blocking receivers) toward the end of last year's season. They used it to beat Kailua and Waipahu in the play-offs. I thought that was pretty interesting. Lots of read options and quarterback runs.

Neighbor
All-conference
All-conference

Post by Neighbor »

fanoffb wrote:Can someone confirm that the Mililani plays against Punahou were legal. The debate I've heard is in regards to the handoff coming in front of the QB and then the RB passing the ball. If it was a pitch forward to the RB, then it would definitely be two forward passes and an illegal play. But I've never heard either for or against a handoff in front and then a forward pass, being illegal.
Chargers used to do it all the time with LT. I know that's the NFL, but I'd assume that the NFL would have stricter rules on "trick plays" and so if it's allowed there, I'd say it's allowed in high school ball

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Neighbor wrote:
Chargers used to do it all the time with LT. I know that's the NFL, but I'd assume that the NFL would have stricter rules on "trick plays" and so if it's allowed there, I'd say it's allowed in high school ball
Linemen (interior linemen, split end, and non-slotback tight end) can receive a forward handoff after turning 180 degress, two yards behind the line of scrimmage OR after a previous handoff.