St Louis QB phenom

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
warriorfb
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

St Louis QB phenom

Post by warriorfb »

Tua Tagovailoa definitely deserves some props after his stellar performance against Kamehameha. Braddah was getting some shade in a previous post, but almost 600 yards of total offense and 5 tds against a tough D should silence his critic. I gotta believe that Cal Lee & co know a little more about football than some arm chair QB relative.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Re: St Louis QB phenom

Post by gridiron22 »

He is a great QB with lots of potential but answer me this is he a true 15 year old Sophomore born in 1999 or one of those St. Louis kids that are held back a year?

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

Ahhh who cares how old he is. Bottom line is he is class of 2017. When Bosco came down here...nobody cared how old Rosen or that rb was right? Nobody was saying oh, that Rosen kid was awesome and the top qb in the nation but he's 18 already.

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JUS_another_brotha »

See gridiron, go educate yourself with the rules of Hawaii High School sports before opening your mouth. He is qualified to play regardless of his age because it's in the guidelines of the rules. Don't hate but let's push these kids.. If your child was given a full scholarship to any University at the age of 18 would you take it? Enjoy the ride because he's humble and he will HELP guide St Louis back to the top.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gridiron22 »

Well the title of this post is claiming that he is a phenom, when you make such claims for our young Hawaii athletes it would be nice to know a little more about this "phenom" .
No hating involved and the fact that you guys are so defensive means that you must know something that we don't, please share! I could name a few players that are highly recruited players from the OIA and ILH schools that were held back a year but they are not claiming to be the next big thing so no need to drop names.

Now we know why Bosco is so good, maybe a majority of their players were held a year back, that extra year makes a huge difference in High School aged athletics but after the age of 18 the physical and mental advantages start to level out.

There is a reason why a lot of the club sports don't use grade level in creating their teams, they use age level and the year you were born so that these parents cant gain advantages and making their kids appear to be "phenoms".

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

That is my point! Not being defensive but just wondering why you question the age factor when it is in the guidelines of the rules? You said yourself, when your 18 your body is mature..... So the question you should have asked was "why isn't everyone taking advantage of that rule"? Phenom? Here is your definition of phenom: a person who is outstandingly talented or admired....... Who is claiming? People admire the way he plays...that is what phenom means...

So when they posted this it was because someone thought that he was a person who is outstandingly talented or admired... The funny thing is people think that of him but he still has more to improve on. He is only in the 10th grade. When he receives his diploma, they will NOT say "Tua Tagovailoa who repeated come get your diploma"...

Clubs? That is a whole different topic. Name me one football player who got a free college education from playing on a club team? Parents and players are doing whatever it takes to get a free college education. Now if that means to stay back 1 or 2 years then so be it. You are knocking on him being a phenom because of his age? Do you think when those colleges offer him a scholarship will ask what year he was born? Nothing to hide here. I personally know the kid. When 17 year old kids go to play college football, do you know the statistics on how many of them red shirt? 96%

Oklahoma, Texas, California, etc...Just to name a few do this in their respective states. They do not start their children until they are about 6 years old. That is why when they are seniors in high school they look like men. It is hard for our culture in Hawaii because once you reach 4 or 5 years old, we say get ready cause you are going to school. But not only is this good for athletics but think how great it is for the kids confidence and maturity. Educationally there is no doubt that it is a plus.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by gridiron22 »

All im trying to say is...
A 15yr old Sophomore with his talent is truly a phenom
But a 16yr old Sophomore with his talent is kind of like an 11th grader

You bring a new light on the topic of mainland schools using the 18 year old limit for maturing their High school seniors and yes here in Hawaii public schools we don't practice that strategy, it seems to be a good one if your child is playing football and I think its directly correlated to the physical aspect of the sport. It also seems that Cal Lee used this mainland mentality all those years the crusaders dominated high school football which created an un-level playing field or unfair advantage against the OIA public schools. That is also a reason why OIA and ILH should never combine into one division for their regular season games because of that age difference of their athletes.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

I think he is a phenom for having the ability he has considering that this is the first go round on varsity defenses regardless of age. In his first varsity season, he is having success against some of the top defenses in the state. I personally don't know his age, nor do I care but for you to make a bold claim without doing any research would be silly of you. You have obviously done some research, played dumb and made a post for a reaction. Cause if you really didn't know his age, made all kinds of statements and then found out he's actually 15, that would be more silly of you.

Getreal$
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by Getreal$ »

I've watched Tua for several years dating back to the first FBU camp held at St. Louis and then his first JV season with St. Louis. I too wanted to see how he would do against varsity competition and I must say he has proven himself not only against top game time competition, but daily in practice against arguably one of the top five QB's in the state. Over the summer I watched him at the Exposure camp and on the last day competed with the best that attended the camp. The top five QB's selected to showcase their skills were Tua, Milton, Liana, Kanehailua and a Kaiser QB. Tua won the outstanding QB honor.

Not sure what his age is but I do know he is mature and very poised for a Sophomore, as compared to other sophomores starting at the varsity level around the state. I will say that he will be one of the best to play the position when it is all said and done, regardless of age.

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

It is not only for football once again. It doesn't matter what sport. Giving them another year would benefit any kid to TRY to get a scholarship to go to college so the parents don't have to pay. Not only that, it will help any kid with his or her academics. You keep trying to address what Cal Lee and St Louis are doing? Mainland mentality? What don't you understand that it's in the Hawaii High School Sports rule? The rule is there in the State of Hawaii. Punahou does it. Mililani does it. Kaiser did it. Now if you as a parent don't believe in it and don't want to do it then that is fine too, but don't knock on it because it works for others.

"But a 16yr old Sophomore with his talent is kind of like an 11th grader"

LOL

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

warriorfb wrote:Tua Tagovailoa definitely deserves some props after his stellar performance against Kamehameha. Braddah was getting some shade in a previous post, but almost 600 yards of total offense and 5 tds against a tough D should silence his critic. I gotta believe that Cal Lee & co know a little more about football than some arm chair QB relative.
The question is: Was Kamehameha's D tough? I don't think it was. St Louis revealed them as bogus.

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

JUS_another_brotha wrote:It is not only for football once again. It doesn't matter what sport. Giving them another year would benefit any kid to TRY to get a scholarship to go to college so the parents don't have to pay. Not only that, it will help any kid with his or her academics. You keep trying to address what Cal Lee and St Louis are doing? Mainland mentality? What don't you understand that it's in the Hawaii High School Sports rule? The rule is there in the State of Hawaii. Punahou does it. Mililani does it. Kaiser did it. Now if you as a parent don't believe in it and don't want to do it then that is fine too, but don't knock on it because it works for others.

"But a 16yr old Sophomore with his talent is kind of like an 11th grader"

LOL
You are right on, bratha....don't know why the DOE doesn't adopt the same birthdate rules as the private schools do. It gives kids an advantage in every area: sports, academics, maturity.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

whatdoesthefoxsay wrote: You are right on, bratha....don't know why the DOE doesn't adopt the same birthdate rules as the private schools do. It gives kids an advantage in every area: sports, academics, maturity.
there was a report done on the mainland from one of the national tv shows (60 minutes) about starting your child late in kindergarden. physical size probably being the only benefit. if you feel that your 6 year old is only as smart as a 5yr old then maybe you should make him start late and grow up with 5yr olds. in kahuku when i was growing up in the 80's and 90's many kids came to elemantary from samoa and tonga and couldnt speak proper english so they entered the school one grade lower then their normal level because of the language barrier. once they hit intermediate school and feel they are acclimated to american schools and society they move back up to their normal level with kids their own age. but then again in this new century i have nephews and neices right now at kahuku that were held back in elementary so i think its more of a trend for public school parents now days to want to do that

the best situation would be for the hawaii public schools to move the age to be same at private schools, its seems like the public schools have kindergarners be 5yr old so everyone follows it so if a family wants to do it at 6 then its frowned upon or seen as being awkward by the other public school parents. the hawaii public schools should make kindergarden be 6yr olds then everyone can take advantave and be one year more mature. in public school here in hawaii, staying back a year means "special needs" or slept as i can recall. i guess in private school it means "trying to get a college scholarship"??

public schools: "No child left behind"
private schools: "All children left behind"

lol, jk, sorry couldnt resist!
-------------------

SM96753
All-conference
All-conference

Post by SM96753 »

gridiron22 wrote:He is a great QB with lots of potential but answer me this is he a true 15 year old Sophomore born in 1999 or one of those St. Louis kids that are held back a year?
Who the Hell gives a s#!%. Holding a kid back a year is common practice in the mainland! There's actually a term called "redshirting in kindergarten". I saw it on 60 minutes. Parents in the mainland have been doing this so their kids are more academically and athletically mature when they reach high school.

MauiGuy
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by MauiGuy »

For some reason, as I could recall, many polynesian kids physically matured at an earlier age than the haole kids we grew up with. The polys had decent size and strength earlier and the haole kids had to play catch-up. However, a year out of high school many of the haole kids hit their physical peak (18+yo) and became much larger than earlier years. Just an observance growing up.