OIA Final

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Aitorahi
High-quality H20 provider
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

OIA Final

Post by Aitorahi »

With 2 weeks remaining, this is how I see it playing out in the OIA playoffs:

Red
1. Kahuku
2. Leilehua
3. Waianae
4. Kaiser
5. Castle
6. Waipahu

Blue
1. Mililani
2. Farrington
3. Campbell
4. Kapolei
5. Moanalua
6. Aiea

First round
Waianae over Aiea
Kaiser over Moanalua
Campbell over Waipahu
Kapolei over Castle

Quarter-Finals
Kahuku over Kapolei
Mililani over Kaiser
Campbell over Leilehua
Farrington over Waianae

Semi-Finals
Kahuku over Farrington
Mililani over Campbell

Finals
Kahuku vs. Mililani

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Re: OIA Final

Post by politclyincrekt »

Division I
Red
Leilehua
Kahuku
Waianae
Kaiser
Castle
Waipahu

Blue
Mililani
Farrington
Campbell
Kapolei
Moanalua
Aiea

Wild Card
R5 Castle @ B4 Kapolei
B5 Moanalua @ R4 Kaiser
R6 Waipahu @ B3 Campbell
B6 Aiea @ R3 Waianae

Quarter Final
B4 Kapolei @ R1 Leilehua
R4 Kaiser vs. B2 Farrington
B3 Campbell @ R2 Kahuku
R3 Waianae @ B1 Mililani

Semi-Final
R1 Leilehua vs. R4 Kaiser
R2 Kahuku vs. B1 Mililani

OIA Final
R1 Leilehua vs. B1 Mililani

OIA Third Place
R4 Kaiser @ R2 Kahuku

HHSAA Seeding
1: Punahou
2: Mililani
3: Maui
4: Hilo
5: Leilehua
6: Kahuku

Quarter Final
#6 Kahuku @ #3 Maui
#5 Leilehua @ #4 Hilo

Semi-Final
#6 Kahuku vs. #1 Punahou
#5 Leilehua vs. #2 Mililani

Final
#1 Punahou vs. #2 Mililani

Division II
White
Pearl City
Nanakuli
Radford
Kalani

Semi-Final
Kalani @ Pearl City
Radford @ Nanakuli

Final:
Nanakuli vs. Pearl City

HHSAA Seeding
Lahainaluna
Nanakuli
Kapaa
Iolani
KS-Hawaii
Pearl City

Quarter Final/b]
Pearl City vs. Kapaa
KS-Hawaii @ Iolani

Semi-Finals
Lahainaluna vs. Pearl City
Nanakuli vs. Iolani

Finals
Lahainaluna vs. Iolani

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

@Aitorahi: I can see from your avatar that you're probably a Kahuku grad. But, given Kahuku's loss to Kaiser, it's possible that Kahuku might not get past Kapolei, in your quarter-final scenario. Even if they do, they might not get past Farrington, in your semi-final scenario. I realize that the loss to Kaiser was something of a fluke, what with Kahuku's 7 fumbles. But, that loss still does raise questions.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@Aitorahi: I can see from your avatar that you're probably a Kahuku grad. But, given Kahuku's loss to Kaiser, it's possible that Kahuku might not get past Kapolei, in your quarter-final scenario. Even if they do, they might not get past Farrington, in your semi-final scenario. I realize that the loss to Kaiser was something of a fluke, what with Kahuku's 7 fumbles. But, that loss still does raise questions.
There's a good chance Kahuku might not even take the OIA Red.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

politclyincrekt wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@Aitorahi: I can see from your avatar that you're probably a Kahuku grad. But, given Kahuku's loss to Kaiser, it's possible that Kahuku might not get past Kapolei, in your quarter-final scenario. Even if they do, they might not get past Farrington, in your semi-final scenario. I realize that the loss to Kaiser was something of a fluke, what with Kahuku's 7 fumbles. But, that loss still does raise questions.
There's a good chance Kahuku might not even take the OIA Red.
That's right. To win the OIA Red, Kahuku would have to get past Leilehua, and Leilehua is certainly stronger than Kaiser.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Hell, Kaiser could take the Division with a win next week vs. Castle and if they beat Leilehua.

Remember: Without the forfeit vs. Aiea, Kaiser is a 4-1 team

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

Kahuku is definitely vulnerable. To be honest, I am more worried about Leilehua than Kapolei or Farrington. Kahuku's pass defense is what is killing them in my opinion. If they can get past the Mules this Friday, then I think they will take the Red. I believe they will. They beat Kapolei at the beginning of the season and if they meet again, it will probably be at Kahuku in the quarter-finals. Kahuku is hard to beat at home. I like their chances against the Govs as well, as long as they can keep Mamiya in check. Can someone tell me when was the last time Kahuku lost wearing red? I can't remember when. All of their recent losses they were wearing white. Seriously, it has got to be years ago.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Kahuku's last loss at Carlton Weimer was against Kapolei in the play-offs in '07 haha

Ninernation16
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Ninernation16 »

It is to early to predict and what a homer call especially losing to Kaiser this past week I still see the same red raider team from last year

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

politclyincrekt wrote:Kahuku's last loss at Carlton Weimer was against Kapolei in the play-offs in '07 haha
Is that the only home game this century that Kahuku's lost?
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Aitorahi wrote:Kahuku is definitely vulnerable. To be honest, I am more worried about Leilehua than Kapolei or Farrington. Kahuku's pass defense is what is killing them in my opinion. If they can get past the Mules this Friday, then I think they will take the Red. I believe they will. They beat Kapolei at the beginning of the season and if they meet again, it will probably be at Kahuku in the quarter-finals. Kahuku is hard to beat at home. I like their chances against the Govs as well, as long as they can keep Mamiya in check. Can someone tell me when was the last time Kahuku lost wearing red? I can't remember when. All of their recent losses they were wearing white. Seriously, it has got to be years ago.
Well, the question is: Does it really matter whether you're wearing your light or dark jersey? That's probably more superstition than anything else. Even home-field advantage--which is what the dark jersey represents--is overrated, I think, in a critical game. In a big game, players play with intensity; they get in a zone. I don't think it matters whose field it is. What's hanging over Kahuku's heads is their loss to Kaiser. I think people are giving Kaiser's D more credit than it deserves; I think it was Kahuku's 7 fumbles that lost the game. In that context, it's scary that Leilehua, Farrington, and Kapolei are all better than Kaiser. And, I think you're right to be worried most about Leilehua; they have a very strong passing game, and as you say, Kahuku is weak in defending that (especially the secondary).

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Kahuku had four fumbles three interceptions. They have multiple two way players that don't rest during the game. I pick Kahuku over Leilehua this week, but they better watch out.., Leilehua could wear down that red raider defensive front like Kaiser did.
Last edited by EASTHONFAN on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Aitorahi wrote:Kahuku is definitely vulnerable. To be honest, I am more worried about Leilehua than Kapolei or Farrington. Kahuku's pass defense is what is killing them in my opinion. If they can get past the Mules this Friday, then I think they will take the Red. I believe they will. They beat Kapolei at the beginning of the season and if they meet again, it will probably be at Kahuku in the quarter-finals. Kahuku is hard to beat at home. I like their chances against the Govs as well, as long as they can keep Mamiya in check. Can someone tell me when was the last time Kahuku lost wearing red? I can't remember when. All of their recent losses they were wearing white. Seriously, it has got to be years ago.
Well, the question is: Does it really matter whether you're wearing your light or dark jersey? That's probably more superstition than anything else. Even home-field advantage--which is what the dark jersey represents--is overrated, I think, in a critical game. In a big game, players play with intensity; they get in a zone. I don't think it matters whose field it is. What's hanging over Kahuku's heads is their loss to Kaiser. I think people are giving Kaiser's D more credit than it deserves; I think it was Kahuku's 7 fumbles that lost the game. In that context, it's scary that Leilehua, Farrington, and Kapolei are all better than Kaiser. And, I think you're right to be worried most about Leilehua; they have a very strong passing game, and as you say, Kahuku is weak in defending that (especially the secondary).
I disagree. Where you play is very important. Some schools more so than others. Visiting Kahuku, there is a much different atmosphere than visiting most schools. Reading the "Please keep driveway clear for emergency vehicles" signs while walking onto their field in high school was very intimidating. I still remember it these many years later. Visiting other schools like Kaiser, Kailua, or Moanalua, you're right. It isn't different. But traveling to Kahuku, Waianae, and Leilehua are very different stories. You see the sea of Red sitting on the home side and you see about half as many of your supporters on the beat up bleachers across (in our case, about half of it was the band). In most cases, it maybe doesn't make a difference. In Kahuku, I really feel it does.

On the surface, the color of the jersey doesn't matter. But knowing you're going onto someone else's field and trying to defeat a team that hasn't lost there in 7 years? That's tough. I don't care how much you've practiced or how big the game is.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

gopunahou wrote:
politclyincrekt wrote:Kahuku's last loss at Carlton Weimer was against Kapolei in the play-offs in '07 haha
I can't find any record of a loss at home before that, but I remember when Kapolei did that it was a huge deal because no one just marches into Kahuku and wins.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

politclyincrekt wrote:
gopunahou wrote:
I can't find any record of a loss at home before that, but I remember when Kapolei did that it was a huge deal because no one just marches into Kahuku and wins.
If it's a big game--and especially if the visiting team feels it has something to prove--I'm leery as to how much "home-field advantage" works, even for Kahuku. Yes, Kahuku rarely loses at home, but that's because Kahuku is usually good, not because there's something mystical that happens when they play at home. No matter whose home field it is, it has the same physical dimensions--length, width, etc--and the rules of the game are the same.