OIA Final

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: OIA Final

Post by huki-lau-lau »

HS Football Fanatic wrote: If it's a big game--and especially if the visiting team feels it has something to prove--I'm leery as to how much "home-field advantage" works, even for Kahuku. Yes, Kahuku rarely loses at home, but that's because Kahuku is usually good, not because there's something mystical that happens when they play at home. No matter whose home field it is, it has the same physical dimensions--length, width, etc--and the rules of the game are the same.
the road out to kahuku is long curvy and slow. it could hypnotize you and make u feel sluggish at kickoff. same vice versa, the road from kahuku to kaiser is long and hot add traffic and u probly feel sluggish b4 kickoff too. not excuses but u see how homefield advantage helps from that perspective.

this week leilehua is going to kahukuk its not terrible long drive and traffic not too bad around waimea bay so that sluggish factor should not be an issue for the mules. they still need to deal with the hostile environment and crappy grass field.
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

EASTHONFAN wrote:Kahuku had four fumbles three interceptions. They have multiple two way players that don't rest during the game. I pick Kahuku over Leilehua this week, but they better watch out.., Leilehua could wear down that red raider defensive front like Kaiser did.
Really? Kaiser's O-line wore-down Kahuku's D-line? That's very concerning. I didn't go to the game, but I'm assuming that Kaiser went with the running game a lot, seeing that they have that good RB. Plus, if you say their O-line wore-down Kahuku's D-line, that sounds like run-blocking. I'm also assuming that Leilehua is more of a passing team, because of all their good receivers. In that case, Kahuku should worry more about the secondary getting burned, rather than the D-line wearing-down.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

I wouldn't say that Kaiser's Oline wore down Kahuku's Dline, But that the fast pace of their no hudl offense did. Kahuku has several players that play on both sides of the ball, you could say that they wore themselves out. Most of their starters were sitting on the bench by half time in their previous games. I still pick Kahuku to win their game against Leilehua. Kahuku needs their Dline to put pressure on Leilehua's QB and make him get rid of the ball quick. Giving Leilehua's QB time would be a big mistake.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

EASTHONFAN wrote:I wouldn't say that Kaiser's Oline wore down Kahuku's Dline, But that the fast pace of their no hudl offense did. Kahuku has several players that play on both sides of the ball, you could say that they wore themselves out. Most of their starters were sitting on the bench by half time in their previous games. I still pick Kahuku to win their game against Leilehua. Kahuku needs their Dline to put pressure on Leilehua's QB and make him get rid of the ball quick. Giving Leilehua's QB time would be a big mistake.
Why does Kahuku have several players going both ways? I'd say there's no excuse for that. That's for schools that don't have adequate numbers and adequate talent. Kahuku has--or, at least is supposed to have--numbers and talent, in spades. We're talking about one of the greatest football schools in the state. If Kahuku has guys going both ways--to the point where they're getting gassed--something is wrong. Also, that's obviously a disadvantage as they go up against Leilehua. The last thing Kahuku wants is to have gassed D-linemen trying to constantly chase-down Leilehua's QB.

gopunahou
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by gopunahou »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
EASTHONFAN wrote:I wouldn't say that Kaiser's Oline wore down Kahuku's Dline, But that the fast pace of their no hudl offense did. Kahuku has several players that play on both sides of the ball, you could say that they wore themselves out. Most of their starters were sitting on the bench by half time in their previous games. I still pick Kahuku to win their game against Leilehua. Kahuku needs their Dline to put pressure on Leilehua's QB and make him get rid of the ball quick. Giving Leilehua's QB time would be a big mistake.
Why does Kahuku have several players going both ways? I'd say there's no excuse for that. That's for schools that don't have adequate numbers and adequate talent. Kahuku has--or, at least is supposed to have--numbers and talent, in spades. We're talking about one of the greatest football schools in the state. If Kahuku has guys going both ways--to the point where they're getting gassed--something is wrong. Also, that's obviously a disadvantage as they go up against Leilehua. The last thing Kahuku wants is to have gassed D-linemen trying to constantly chase-down Leilehua's QB.
I remember when we won our first championship we used Manti, Dalton, and Robby on both sides of the ball a bunch of times to maximize their talents. That might be the reason some Kahuku guys are going both ways.
Punahou Football: 12-1, 2008 ILH and State Champions! 11-0, 2013 ILH and State Champions, a team for the ages!

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

gopunahou wrote:
I remember when we won our first championship we used Manti, Dalton, and Robby on both sides of the ball a bunch of times to maximize their talents. That might be the reason some Kahuku guys are going both ways.
OK, I can understand something like that. In fact, I was considering editing my post to mention Kahuku's Kawe Johnson going both ways sometimes, because of his incredible talent. But EASTHONFAN said Kahuku's D-linemen this year were getting gassed against Kaiser because they were going both ways; that's no good. You don't want your players getting gassed.

dirtylickens
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dirtylickens »

contrary to many beliefs, Punahou didnt use Hilliard and Toma much on defense. Te'o played both sides, but Toma and Hilliard played sparingly. You see the highlights that each made during special defensive packages Ane had put in for them, but they did not play more than a few plays during big games in order to save them for offense.

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

And watching this game on OC16. I would put Leilehua up there with the other three (Mililani, Farrington, and Kahuku) as a true contender to come out of the OIA. Dont be surprised if you see Leilehua sneak in as the 3 seed out of the OIA into the state tournament and make some noise in the state tournament.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

dirtylickens wrote:And watching this game on OC16. I would put Leilehua up there with the other three (Mililani, Farrington, and Kahuku) as a true contender to come out of the OIA. Dont be surprised if you see Leilehua sneak in as the 3 seed out of the OIA into the state tournament and make some noise in the state tournament.
Well, Leilehua is a good team, but I don't know about #3 seed. I mean, they scored only 14 points on Kahuku, and that's despite the fact that Kahuku has a weak secondary, and Leilehua is supposed to be a good passing team. If you're a passing team that can't score more than two TDs against a team with a weak secondary, I don't know.

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

I honestly feel if the game was played at the stadium or in leilehua, they would have won the game. There was maybe 2 touchdowns that they would have had with a good field with solid footing. Leilehua won 2 phases of the game, offense and defense. But special teams kahuku blew them out of the water. Kahuku and Leilehua are much closer in skill than many people thought. And after watching Farrington get exposed against Mililani I would take leilehua as one if the three to come out of the oia

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Post by politclyincrekt »

dirtylickens wrote:And watching this game on OC16. I would put Leilehua up there with the other three (Mililani, Farrington, and Kahuku) as a true contender to come out of the OIA. Dont be surprised if you see Leilehua sneak in as the 3 seed out of the OIA into the state tournament and make some noise in the state tournament.
Well, Leilehua is a good team, but I don't know about #3 seed. I mean, they scored only 14 points on Kahuku, and that's despite the fact that Kahuku has a weak secondary, and Leilehua is supposed to be a good passing team. If you're a passing team that can't score more than two TDs against a team with a weak secondary, I don't know.
*They scored only 14 points to Kahuku's 7. Without those two returns Kahuku lost that game by a touchdown. And the Red Raider secondary was a non-issue. Their defensive line was absolutely overpowering Leilehua's pass protection.

dirtylickens

Post by dirtylickens »

Even the pick 6 can be corrected. I feel like Leilehua has the makings of a cinderella team every year. Not really respected state wide, but they have an offense that allows them to stay in games and a scrappy defense that can keep them close. One thing is for sure, Kesi Ah-Hoy at quarterback did not work out. They should find creative ways to get him the ball in space, rather than have him trying to run direct snaps from the QB spot.