Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is not

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sorry you had to wait 12 days, but here it is: I think it probably is a fact that at least in football, Iolani can't field the big (size-wise) players that the "Big 3" can. Yes, this year Iolani has a fairly big O-line, but that's pretty unusual for Iolani. Also, I think Iolani does lack depth, especially at the skill positions, and this also is usually the case. Having said all that, I would still agree that Iolani should be in D1. Why? Because until the mid-2000s (when the classification system began), Iolani played the "Big 3" on a full schedule, every year. If Iolani did it then, why can't they do it now? What's changed? By insisting on staying in D2, Iolani is causing the "Big 3" to fold their arms and shake their heads.
Thanks for responding. Not a lot of teams can compete size-wise with Kahuku and Mililani in the OIA. I haven't heard them cry the way Iolani has. A lot of D1 teams would trade places with them and wouldn't complain about going against the Big 3. Iolani backers just hate watching any of the Big 3 bruise their ego. Having them play St. Francis is as much of a mismatch as having Pac-Five play Punahou.
The irony here is that being in D2 should itself bruise Iolani backers' egos. Even if they win D2, guys will simply say, "But that's D2!"

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote: Sorry you had to wait 12 days, but here it is: I think it probably is a fact that at least in football, Iolani can't field the big (size-wise) players that the "Big 3" can. Yes, this year Iolani has a fairly big O-line, but that's pretty unusual for Iolani. Also, I think Iolani does lack depth, especially at the skill positions, and this also is usually the case. Having said all that, I would still agree that Iolani should be in D1. Why? Because until the mid-2000s (when the classification system began), Iolani played the "Big 3" on a full schedule, every year. If Iolani did it then, why can't they do it now? What's changed? By insisting on staying in D2, Iolani is causing the "Big 3" to fold their arms and shake their heads.
Thanks for responding. Not a lot of teams can compete size-wise with Kahuku and Mililani in the OIA. I haven't heard them cry the way Iolani has. A lot of D1 teams would trade places with them and wouldn't complain about going against the Big 3. Iolani backers just hate watching any of the Big 3 bruise their ego. Having them play St. Francis is as much of a mismatch as having Pac-Five play Punahou.
The irony here is that being in D2 should itself bruise Iolani backers' egos. Even if they win D2, guys will simply say, "But that's D2!"
One of my good friends is an Iolani graduate (I like him in spite of his FB team's decision to duck teams on their level). He knows the truth to all of this. He knows that Iolani is a big fish in a small pond and thinks other Iolani grads don't care if they win at D2. He thinks their attitude is, "so what if we don't win D1. At least we've got D2 to hang our hat on." It is like they know they can't win a D1 championship so they insist on competing for something that'll make them feel like big men.

And BTW, Paul Honda may be a smart man but can't take opinions to save his life. He's obviously making excuses and trying to convince himself that Iolani is where it belongs. If you've watched Iolani play this year or every year since 2008, you'd know that they are a D1 team that's too afraid to admit it. Paul Honda stuck to his opinion and bashed anyone who used NUMBERS and TURNOUT to refute his. That reeks of a sore loser.