Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is not

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Re: Iolani 62, Pac-Five 19--does everyone see that Iolani is

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Birdman316 wrote:
We should also note that in the ILH, it was usually Kamehameha that had some of the largest O-lines, not only because that school usually has big kids, but also because Kamehameha usually prefers to run the ball, which requires a larger O-line. Punahou didn't always have big O-lines as often as Kamehameha, so it's very possible that Iolani had a larger O-line than did Punahou, from time to time. Igber was an RB who played during the late-'90s; as I recall, he wasn't really that big; he wasn't the fullback type. I remember Moenoa; he was a huge O-lineman. Think he played what, 5 or 6 years ago? If I'm not mistaken, Iolani had a fairly large O-line in '93 as well.
Igber was not a big guy but did give every team he faced fits because of his elusiveness and Barry Sanders-esque skills. Fact is, he's proof that small, speedy guys can be as attractive to FB coaches as big guys like Moenoa are. Guys like Igber are the kind of players Iolani goes after.
But, I think Iolani would be foolish to go after only "small, speedy" guys like Igber. I would think Iolani should also go after big guys to stock the O-line. What good is a good RB, if he has only a small O-line to block for him? Interestingly enough, just last year Iolani had that RB Ross, who was very similar to--and almost as good as--Igber. But, last year he didn't have a big O-line to block for him. Ironically, Iolani's O-line this year is pretty big, but Ross didn't go out for football this year. He's still at the school, but he's not playing football.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Punahou 49,Iolani 7 with a little over 1 minute in the first half.Raiders are D-II for sure this year.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Punahou 49,Iolani 7 with a little over 1 minute in the first half.Raiders are D-II for sure this year.
Not necessarily. There are a number of D1 teams that would probably be losing by the same score.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

Yes,necessarily..Iolani got stomped and will continue to get stomped.Maybe the Raiders belong in a tweener division,but it is clear after last year and what has happened so far this year that Iolani isn't D-I contender material.

dirtylickens
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dirtylickens »

Ive heard ramblings that Iolani and Punahou will no longer be playing each other? This was the last game of the rivalry. Curious to hear if anyone else has more information?

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

dirtylickens wrote:Ive heard ramblings that Iolani and Punahou will no longer be playing each other? This was the last game of the rivalry. Curious to hear if anyone else has more information?
It's been announced by ILH that Div 1 will no longer play div 2. I don't know if it's official or not but I've heard it's a done deal. So no Punahou Iolani games for awhile.

BTW the Div 1 argument for Iolani is a dead horse. Iolani looked terrible today. Punahou gifted them two of the touchdowns. They couldn't punt. They couldn't pass. They couldn't run the ball. They couldn't play defense. They played scared. It was 35-7 with 8 minutes to play in the second quarter and the next sequence of plays said it all. Three straight Punahou stops for short gains force Iolani to punt. The punter kicks it about 25 yards at a 45 degree angle out of bounds. First play after punt: 60+ yard touchdown pass to Noa who had beaten his man by at least 15 yards. It was as if Iolani was fielding a JV team. But they don't even have a JV team.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by FatherofCody&Casey »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
unpaid wrote:Punahou 49,Iolani 7 with a little over 1 minute in the first half.Raiders are D-II for sure this year.
Not necessarily. There are a number of D1 teams that would probably be losing by the same score.
I knew people like unpaid and whatdoesthefoxsay would let this game cloud their vision, but understand that it won't change the opinions of people who share mine. HS FB Fanatic said it best in the bolded part. And plus, it isn't like Iolani hasn't given the D1 teams a run for their money in the recent past. As I've said before, not every game they play against D1 teams is a 30-plus point loss. Iolani might lose by 30 or 40 points once in awhile to D1 teams, but don't let this game be the norm for them when it comes to playing D1 teams because that is far from the truth. Iolani hasn't lost to a real D2 team since 2007; meanwhile, their last victory against an ILH D1 team was more recent. And check this: Iolani has never been in danger of needing to forfeit games against Punahou, SL, and KS because of safety issues, unlike Damien, Pac-Five, and St. Francis. And remember, St. Louis couldn't do anything right against Punahou for most of the game but did anyone scream for them to drop down? I think we all know the answer to that. I know I won't change the opinions of those who believe Iolani belongs in D2 but don't think of this game as the norm for them in terms of playing D1 teams. I respect people who humbly state their opinion on this matter but urge everyone to ignore those who believe their opinion on it is the only one that matters.

BTW, it'd be a shame to let the football rivalry between Punahou and Iolani go the way of the dodo. This rivalry is as important here as Michigan-Ohio State, OU-Texas, and BYU-Utah is to the mainland. Punahou hasn't completely dominated this rivalry the way St. Louis has dominated Damien. Iolani is capabale of coming back and snagging a few wins here and there. Look at 2009: after three consecutive humiliating losses to the Buffs, Iolani came back with a vengeance and handed them a 35-12 passing. The fact that they outscored Punahou 15-3 in the second half today shows that they take this game seriously. So what if Punahou took it easy on them in the second half? Who hasn't Punahou taken it easy on? The Puns also took the game pretty seriously, too, with their 35-7 2nd quarter run. If you don't wanna play St. Louis or Kamehameha, fine, but let the Punahou-Iolani game be a non-conference one. And for the record, Iolani should have its closest game against a D1 opponent next week.

unpaid
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by unpaid »

I think that ILH league officials have gone on the record in the StarAdvertiser last year as saying Iolani would be moved up to D-I in 2015 if they won D-II again in 2014. If the league does not go back on it's word,then Iolani will most likely be in ILH D-I next year. It won't matter if the ILH goes ahead and separates the two divisions so that they don't play each other.

What can you expect from Iolani then?Look at 1945-2001...56 years of Iolani playing essentially in an open division against the big three and many large enrollment public schools with no divisions.6 ILH titles in 56years.One Prep Bowl appearance ,that I think ended in a tie.They had their moments before,and when they get moved up,Iolani will have some more moments...but not a lot just as it was before 2002.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

unpaid wrote:Yes,necessarily..Iolani got stomped and will continue to get stomped.Maybe the Raiders belong in a tweener division,but it is clear after last year and what has happened so far this year that Iolani isn't D-I contender material.
Look again. Iolani surrendered only 4 points more to Punahou than D1 St Louis did, while scoring 15 more points against Punahou than St Louis did. Iolani's margin of defeat was 10 points fewer than St Louis' was. Someone on this thread said Iolani looked hopeless against Punahou, but how did St Louis look against Punahou?

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

unpaid wrote:Yes,necessarily..Iolani got stomped and will continue to get stomped.Maybe the Raiders belong in a tweener division,but it is clear after last year and what has happened so far this year that Iolani isn't D-I contender material.
Look again. Iolani surrendered only 4 points more to Punahou than D1 St Louis did, while scoring 15 more points against Punahou than St Louis did. Iolani's margin of defeat was 10 points fewer than St Louis' was. Someone on this thread said Iolani looked hopeless against Punahou, but how did St Louis look against Punahou?
I said something like that. I saw both games and St. Louis looked, to me, far better than Iolani did yesterday, score notwithstanding. It will be very interesting to see how the Iolani/Kamehameha game goes.

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

unpaid wrote:I think that ILH league officials have gone on the record in the StarAdvertiser last year as saying Iolani would be moved up to D-I in 2015 if they won D-II again in 2014. If the league does not go back on it's word,then Iolani will most likely be in ILH D-I next year. It won't matter if the ILH goes ahead and separates the two divisions so that they don't play each other.

What can you expect from Iolani then?Look at 1945-2001...56 years of Iolani playing essentially in an open division against the big three and many large enrollment public schools with no divisions.6 ILH titles in 56years.One Prep Bowl appearance ,that I think ended in a tie.They had their moments before,and when they get moved up,Iolani will have some more moments...but not a lot just as it was before 2002.
I hope that's the truth. If the ILH forgets about this plan or sweeps it under the rug, it'll be a sign of incompetence on their part. Maybe people who hate to see a league show incompetence or forgetfulness will remind them.

I also think the last couple of games St. Louis has played against Punahou (ever since 2011) have looked like some of the scores of Iolani games against D1 opponents or WORSE. 35-0, 31-19, 43-14, 38-0, 35-32, and 55-7 have been the outcomes since 2011. I think of St. Louis can withstand that, so can Iolani.

BTW, this is the article: http://sportshawaii.com/sh/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p548031

FatherofCody&Casey
Pine rider
Pine rider

Tonight's Kamehameha-Iolani game didn't help the cause of people who believe Iolani is a legit D2 team. You might say Kamehameha was looking ahead to Punahou but that's hogwash. I knew Iolani's offense would give Kamehameha all they could handle while their defense would struggle. Games like these are the norm for Iolani, not what we saw with Punahou. The next three weeks will only strengthen the case of those who want Iolani to play where it should.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:Tonight's Kamehameha-Iolani game didn't help the cause of people who believe Iolani is a legit D2 team. You might say Kamehameha was looking ahead to Punahou but that's hogwash. I knew Iolani's offense would give Kamehameha all they could handle while their defense would struggle. Games like these are the norm for Iolani, not what we saw with Punahou. The next three weeks will only strengthen the case of those who want Iolani to play where it should.
I think there's some confusion about where Iolani should be this year, because they have a D1 offense, but a D2 defense. Regarding last night's game against Kamehameha: I don't think there was any way that Kamehameha was "looking ahead to Punahou." When your game is tied at the half, you're not looking ahead to anyone. Kamehameha might have suspected that they'd win the game, but I'm also sure they knew it would be a dogfight because Iolani not only has a good O overall, but also a pretty-big O-line. Having said that, Kamehameha's D stank-out the stadium a few times by surrendering big plays.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

FatherofCody&Casey wrote:
I knew people like unpaid and whatdoesthefoxsay would let this game cloud their vision, but understand that it won't change the opinions of people who share mine. HS FB Fanatic said it best in the bolded part. And plus, it isn't like Iolani hasn't given the D1 teams a run for their money in the recent past. As I've said before, not every game they play against D1 teams is a 30-plus point loss. Iolani might lose by 30 or 40 points once in awhile to D1 teams, but don't let this game be the norm for them when it comes to playing D1 teams because that is far from the truth. Iolani hasn't lost to a real D2 team since 2007; meanwhile, their last victory against an ILH D1 team was more recent. And check this: Iolani has never been in danger of needing to forfeit games against Punahou, SL, and KS because of safety issues, unlike Damien, Pac-Five, and St. Francis. And remember, St. Louis couldn't do anything right against Punahou for most of the game but did anyone scream for them to drop down? I think we all know the answer to that. I know I won't change the opinions of those who believe Iolani belongs in D2 but don't think of this game as the norm for them in terms of playing D1 teams. I respect people who humbly state their opinion on this matter but urge everyone to ignore those who believe their opinion on it is the only one that matters.

BTW, it'd be a shame to let the football rivalry between Punahou and Iolani go the way of the dodo. This rivalry is as important here as Michigan-Ohio State, OU-Texas, and BYU-Utah is to the mainland. Punahou hasn't completely dominated this rivalry the way St. Louis has dominated Damien. Iolani is capabale of coming back and snagging a few wins here and there. Look at 2009: after three consecutive humiliating losses to the Buffs, Iolani came back with a vengeance and handed them a 35-12 passing. The fact that they outscored Punahou 15-3 in the second half today shows that they take this game seriously. So what if Punahou took it easy on them in the second half? Who hasn't Punahou taken it easy on? The Puns also took the game pretty seriously, too, with their 35-7 2nd quarter run. If you don't wanna play St. Louis or Kamehameha, fine, but let the Punahou-Iolani game be a non-conference one. And for the record, Iolani should have its closest game against a D1 opponent next week.
I would say that the Iolani / Punahou rivalry is probably the strongest high-school rivalry in HI. I know an Iolani grad who told me that when he was at Iolani, their feelings towards Punahou bordered on hatred. That is what you call a strong rivalry! I would say that the second-strongest rivalry is the Radford / Moanalua rivalry, followed closely by the Kamehameha / Punahou rivalry, at third. At fourth, I'd say, is the Damien / St Louis rivalry. At fifth, I'd say, is the Kailua / Castle rivalry. That would be my "Top 5" of HI high-school rivalries. I ranked those rivalries not by how long they've been going-on, but by how intense they are, to the best of my knowledge.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by soleu »

FatherofCody&Casey wrote: I knew people like unpaid and whatdoesthefoxsay would let this game cloud their vision, but understand that it won't change the opinions of people who share mine. HS FB Fanatic said it best in the bolded part. And plus, it isn't like Iolani hasn't given the D1 teams a run for their money in the recent past. As I've said before, not every game they play against D1 teams is a 30-plus point loss. Iolani might lose by 30 or 40 points once in awhile to D1 teams, but don't let this game be the norm for them when it comes to playing D1 teams because that is far from the truth. Iolani hasn't lost to a real D2 team since 2007; meanwhile, their last victory against an ILH D1 team was more recent. And check this: Iolani has never been in danger of needing to forfeit games against Punahou, SL, and KS because of safety issues, unlike Damien, Pac-Five, and St. Francis. And remember, St. Louis couldn't do anything right against Punahou for most of the game but did anyone scream for them to drop down? I think we all know the answer to that. I know I won't change the opinions of those who believe Iolani belongs in D2 but don't think of this game as the norm for them in terms of playing D1 teams. I respect people who humbly state their opinion on this matter but urge everyone to ignore those who believe their opinion on it is the only one that matters.

I would say that the Iolani / Punahou rivalry is probably the strongest high-school rivalry in HI. I know an Iolani grad who told me that when he was at Iolani, their feelings towards Punahou bordered on hatred. That is what you call a strong rivalry! I would say that the second-strongest rivalry is the Radford / Moanalua rivalry, followed closely by the Kamehameha / Punahou rivalry, at third. At fourth, I'd say, is the Damien / St Louis rivalry. At fifth, I'd say, is the Kailua / Castle rivalry. That would be my "Top 5" of HI high-school rivalries.
Takes more than feelings to make a rivalry great. Mililani/Leilehua and Kam/Pun would be among the top as far as quality matchups go. Even if you just measure feelings, Kahuku/Farrington have crossed that hatred line. Those 2 crowds mock each other in unison lol.

As far as Iolani to D1, they should've done it a long time ago. If they're worried about not having the big pieces, stop making excuses and make an offer like the rest of the ILH D1 teams. You offer a high quality education to go along WITH the exposure of playing at the D1 level and the talent will follow. Iolani would be another opportunity for talent to play. For now it just looks like a cowardly move staying in D2 and cherry picking these lesser titles. Punahou never made excuses, they made solutions. Iolani should follow suit and do the same.