Politclyincrekt's Top 25

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Re: Politclyincrekt's Top 25

Post by politclyincrekt »

Birdman316 wrote:
politclyincrekt wrote:Summary:
14: Iolani (2-1): Proven, once again, that the Raiders cannot compete in the ILH Division I.
Wrong buddy. I guess St. Louis can't compete in Division I of the ILH either since Punahou blasted them 55-7.
Punahou is going to roll any team they face this year. St. Louis hung it close to Mililani and would be able to smash a lot of the OIA Division I schools. The fact that St. Louis pummeled Iolani shows that Iolani doesn't belong in the ILH Division I.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Birdman316 wrote:
14: Iolani (2-1): Proven, once again, that the Raiders cannot compete in the ILH Division I.
Wrong buddy. I guess St. Louis can't compete in Division I of the ILH either since Punahou blasted them 55-7.
That game still bothers me. Could someone tell me why St Louis scored only 7 pts? I know Punahou's D is good, but is it that good? Or, was St Louis' passing game simply off that night? Look at how many points St Louis scored against Iolani. Yes, I know Iolani is D2, but: Was St Louis' passing game also better against Iolani than it was against Punahou? Or, was it that Iolani's pass rush was too weak? Last week I talked with the starting QB of one of the OIA D1 Red teams, and he complained that his O-line wasn't giving him enough time to pass. In their game two weeks ago, he said he would have had two more TDs if he had a better O-line. I don't want to divulge the QB's name, for obvious reasons.
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Birdman316
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Birdman316 »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
Birdman316 wrote:
That game still bothers me. Could someone tell me why St Louis scored only 7 pts? I know Punahou's D is good, but is it that good? Or, was St Louis' passing game simply off that night? Look at how many points St Louis scored against Iolani. Yes, I know Iolani is D2, but: Was St Louis' passing game also better against Iolani than it was against Punahou? Or, was it that Iolani's pass rush was too weak?
I think STL exposed Iolani's defense and gained a lot of confidence with the 1st quarter explosion. But I doubt that the Kamehameha game will be worse for Iolani than the STL game, partly because of the way KS played against Damien and St. Francis.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@Birdman316: Sorry, I was editing my post while you were responding to it. I had added three more sentences at the end, about how the starting QB of one of the OIA D1 Red teams complained that his O-line wasn't giving him enough time to pass. You can read the edited post; it's the one right before your post.

Also: Not that anyone cares, but St Francis' points against Kamehameha were scored by St Francis' D--a pick-six and safety--before Kamehameha's 1st-string QB (Sua-Godinet) came in. Therefore, St Francis' points weren't scored against Kamehameha's D. Sua-Godinet--and some other starters on offense--rode the bench during the 1st half, apparently for disciplinary reasons. I think most guys understand that indeed, St Francis almost certainly wouldn't have scored 9 pts against Kamehameha's D (and just about as certainly wouldn't have scored them against Kamehameha's 1st-string O, either). But again, probably no one cares.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

HS Football Fanatic wrote:@Birdman316: Sorry, I was editing my post while you were responding to it. I had added three more sentences at the end, about how the starting QB of one of the OIA D1 Red teams complained that his O-line wasn't giving him enough time to pass. You can read the edited post; it's the one right before your post.

Also: Not that anyone cares, but St Francis' points against Kamehameha were scored by St Francis' D--a pick-six and safety--before Kamehameha's 1st-string QB (Sua-Godinet) came in. Therefore, St Francis' points weren't scored against Kamehameha's D. Sua-Godinet--and some other starters on offense--rode the bench during the 1st half, apparently for disciplinary reasons. I think most guys understand that indeed, St Francis almost certainly wouldn't have scored 9 pts against Kamehameha's D (and just about as certainly wouldn't have scored them against Kamehameha's 1st-string O, either). But again, probably no one cares.
It's just like when my Bears went up against the 49ers this weekend. If you take away the blocked punt early on, the Bears beat the 49ers 28-13. That is a MUCH different looking score from 28-20. With regards to Kamehameha vs. St. Francis, regardless of why it happened, it still happened. Whether Kamehameha was intentionally holding starters due to disciplinary action giving St. Francis some garbage time to work with or not, the fact is that St. Francis scored twice on defense against Kamehameha. If these offensive players are being disciplined for missing practice or what have you, it affects team performance just like an injury does. And will change the outcome of a game and rankings just the same.

As for the comment the QB "source" was saying about his O-line not giving enough time; if that is the case, it is up to him and the offensive coordinator to get together and figure things out. If the offensive line cannot create a safe pocket yet, then maybe they need to change what kinds of plays they call. But maybe it's not the line. Maybe the wide receivers aren't getting open. If I were the offensive coordinator, I'd draw up some quick, short passes (if we're going to insist on passing). The QB and offensive team is going to have to recognize when the team is throwing out a man-to-man blitz (or whatever he's having trouble with) and adjust the pass-protection accordingly. If that means streaking one receiver and slanting another, using everyone else to block (allowing the line to slide over to the weak side), then I would take that chance as an OC. If it works, easy first down and possibly a touchdown. If not, we've only lost a down and at least our QB isn't taking a hit.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

politclyincrekt wrote:
HS Football Fanatic wrote:@Birdman316: Sorry, I was editing my post while you were responding to it. I had added three more sentences at the end, about how the starting QB of one of the OIA D1 Red teams complained that his O-line wasn't giving him enough time to pass. You can read the edited post; it's the one right before your post.

It's just like when my Bears went up against the 49ers this weekend. If you take away the blocked punt early on, the Bears beat the 49ers 28-13. That is a MUCH different looking score from 28-20. With regards to Kamehameha vs. St. Francis, regardless of why it happened, it still happened. Whether Kamehameha was intentionally holding starters due to disciplinary action giving St. Francis some garbage time to work with or not, the fact is that St. Francis scored twice on defense against Kamehameha. If these offensive players are being disciplined for missing practice or what have you, it affects team performance just like an injury does. And will change the outcome of a game and rankings just the same.

As for the comment the QB "source" was saying about his O-line not giving enough time; if that is the case, it is up to him and the offensive coordinator to get together and figure things out. If the offensive line cannot create a safe pocket yet, then maybe they need to change what kinds of plays they call. But maybe it's not the line. Maybe the wide receivers aren't getting open. If I were the offensive coordinator, I'd draw up some quick, short passes (if we're going to insist on passing). The QB and offensive team is going to have to recognize when the team is throwing out a man-to-man blitz (or whatever he's having trouble with) and adjust the pass-protection accordingly. If that means streaking one receiver and slanting another, using everyone else to block (allowing the line to slide over to the weak side), then I would take that chance as an OC. If it works, easy first down and possibly a touchdown. If not, we've only lost a down and at least our QB isn't taking a hit.
1. No one is disputing that St Francis scored 9 pts. I simply thought that people might be inclined to be dismissive of Kamehameha's D if they thought those points were scored against them. Regarding the pro Bears, I'm assuming the blocked punt came against their 1st team, which raises another issue: If people thought St Francis' points were scored against Kamehameha's 1st-string O, they might be inclined to be dismissive of them. Just trying to protect the perception of Kamehameha's D and 1st-string O. But again, I'm not sure that a lot of people even care.
2. Regarding the complaining OIA D1 Red QB: A high-school QB probably isn't going to complain to the OC. I mean, he just happened to mention his regret to me about being deprived of two more TDs. Other than that, knowing him, he's just going to suck it up, keep it to himself, and keep playing. Obviously he doesn't want his O-line to catch wind of his disappointment with them. It's not like he's angry with the O-line; he just wishes that they could give him more time. It's not like he has any serious personal issues with the O-line.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Summary:
The biggest drop this week is Kamehameha-Kapalama (-5) and the largest gains are Kaiser, Campbell, and Konawaena (+3). Upsets (St. Louis vs. KSK and Kaiser vs. Kahuku) made a lot of noise in the Top 10. Campbell got a huge bump from their 3 quarter performance against Mililani. St. Louis gets a peek at the state's elite for the first time this season. Castle risks dropping out of the Top 20 this week. Aiea and Radford risk being dropped from the rankings this week.

Top 10 (3 ILH, 1 MIL, 6 OIA)
(--) 1: Punahou (3-0): DNP
(--) 2: Mililani (5-0): Came from behind to blowout Campbell in the 4th quarter.
(1) 3: Farrington (5-0): DNP
(1) 4: Leilehua (5-0): DNP
(2) 5: Campbell (4-1): Couldn't keep the heat on Mililani.
(3) 6: Kaiser (3-2): Upset visiting Kahuku at home.
(3) 7: Kahuku (4-1): Took their first loss of the season at Kaiser.
(5) 8: KS-Kapalama (3-1): Dropped a big one against St. Louis
(1) 9: Lahainaluna (5-0): DNP
(1) 10: St. Louis (3-3): Not sure if St. Louis was good...or Kamehameha was bad. Regardless the Crusaders get the nod into the Top 10.

Next 10 (2 BIIF, 1 ILH, 1 KIF, 1 MIL, 5 OIA)
(1) 11: Waianae (3-2)
(--) 12: Kapolei (2-4)
(1) 13: Iolani (3-1): Back to their Division II dominating selves.
(1) 14: Kapaa (3-1)
(1) 15: Moanalua (2-3)
(1) 16: Hilo (5-0): Couldn't get the offense going against Kealakehe. Fumble recovery saved the day.
(1) 17: Maui (4-1)
(2) 18: Pearl City (5-0): Defeated OIA White rival Radford. At Nanakuli next.
(--) 19: KS-Hawaii (3-1)
(3) 20: Castle (1-4): Played hard but not enough.

Sneaking In (1 BIIF, 1 ILH, 3 OIA)
(1) 21. Nanakuli (5-0)
(3) 22. Konawaena (3-1)
(2) 23: Aiea (2-3)
(1) 24: Damien (2-3)
(1) 25. Radford (4-1)

Dropped:
NONE

Overall Conference Power Rankings:
(While conferences may have individual powerhouse teams, this ranking takes into account conference performance as a whole)
- 1. ILH Division I (0.700)
- 2. OIA Blue (0.550)
- 3. ILH Division II (0.375)
- 4. OIA Red (0.325)
5. MIL Division I (0.025)
6. KIF (-0.050)
7. BIIF Division II (-0.125)
8. MIL Division II (-0.175)
- 9. BIIF Division I (-0.400)
- 10. OIA White (-0.450)

STATISTICS
54.3% of all HHSAA teams in Top 25
- 37.5% of all BIIF teams in Top 25 (BELOW AVERAGE; -1)
- 71.4% of all ILH teams in Top 25 (ABOVE AVERAGE; +1)
- 33% of all KIF teams in Top 25 (BELOW AVERAGE; -1)
- 40% of all MIL teams in Top 25 (BELOW AVERAGE; -1)
- 60.9% of all OIA teams in Top 25 (PAR; 0)
(>10% below HHSAA percentage is below average, >10% above HHSAA percentage is above average, within 10% of HHSAA percentage is par)
-------------------------------------------------------
Of the Top 25 Teams:
- 4% represent the BIIF Division I (BIIF Division I comprises 8.6% of the HHSAA; PAR; 0)
- 8% represent the BIIF Division II (BIIF Division II comprises 8.6% of the HHSAA; PAR; 0)
- 12% represent the ILH Division I (ILH Division I comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; ABOVE AVERAGE; +1)
- 8% represent the ILH Division II (ILH Division II comprises 8.6% of the HHSAA; PAR; 0)
- 4% represent the KIF (KIF comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; PAR; 0)
- 4% represent the MIL Division I (MIL Division I comprises 4.3% of the HHSAA: PAR; 0)
- 4% represent the MIL Division II (MIL Division II comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; PAR; 0)
- 20% represent the OIA Red (OIA Red comprises 15.2% of the HHSAA;PAR; 0)
- 24% represent the OIA Blue (OIA Blue comprises 15.2% of the HHSAA; ABOVE AVERAGE; +1)
- 12% represent the OIA White (OIA White comprises 19.6% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; -1)
(Below Average, Above Average, and Par grades follow same as above, except with 5% deviation)
Of the Top 25 Division I Teams (of which there are 18; 23 total in the HHSAA):
- 5.5% represent the BIIF (BIIF comprises 17.4% of the HHSAA Division I; BELOW AVERAGE; -1)
- 16.7% represent the ILH (ILH comprises 13% of the HHSAA Division I; PAR)
- 5.6% represent the MIL (MIL comprises 8.7% of the HHSAA Division I; PAR)
- 27.8% represent the OIA Red (OIA Red comprises 30.4% of the HHSAA Division I; PAR)
- 33.3% represent the OIA Blue (OIA Blue comprises 30.4% of the HHSAA Division I; PAR)
(Below Average, Above Average, and Par grades follow same as above, except with 5% deviation)
Of the Top 25 Division II Teams (of which there are 7; 23 total in the HHSAA):
- 28.6% represent the BIIF (BIIF comprises 17.4% of the HHSAA Division II; ABOVE AVERAGE; +1)
- 28.6% represent the ILH (ILH comprises 17.4% of the HHSAA Division II; ABOVE AVERAGE; +1)
- 14.3% represent the KIF (KIF comprises 13% of the HHSAA Division II; PAR)
- 14.3% represent the MIL (MIL comprises 13% of the HHSAA Division II; PAR)
- 42.9% represent the OIA (OIA comprises 39.1% of the HHSAA Division II; PAR)
Top 10 Statistics ('above average' worth 2-points, 'par' worth 1-point):
- 0.0% represent the BIIF Division I (BIIF Division I comprises 8.7% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; 0)
- 0.0% represent the BIIF Division II (BIIF Division I comprises 8.7% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; 0)
- 30% represent the ILH Division I (ILH Division I comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; ABOVE AVERAGE; +2)
- 0.0% represent the ILH Division II (ILH Division II comprises 8.7% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; 0)
- 0.0% represent the KIF (KIF comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; 0)
- 0.0% represent the MIL Division I (MIL Division I comprises 4.3% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; 0*)
- 10% represent the MIL Division II (MIL Division II comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; PAR; +1)
30% represent the OIA Red (OIA Red comprises 15.2% of the HHSAA; ABOVE AVERAGE; +2)
- 30% represent the OIA Blue (OIA Blue comprises 15.2% of the HHSAA; ABOVE AVERAGE; +2)
- 0.0% represent the OIA White (OIA White comprises 19.6% of the HHSAA; HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; 0)
Next 10 Statistics ('above average' worth 1-points, 'par' worth 0-points):
- 10% represent the BIIF Division I (BIIF Division I comprises 8.7% of the HHSAA; PAR)
- 10% represent the BIIF Division II (BIIF Division II comprises 8.7% of the HHSAA; PAR)
0.0% represent the ILH Division I (ILH Division I comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; -1)
- 10% represent the ILH Division II (ILH Division II comprises 8.7% of the HHSAA; PAR)
- 10% represent the KIF (KIF comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; PAR)
- 10% represent the MIL Division I (MIL Division I comprises 4.3% of the HHSAA; ABOVE AVERAGE; +1)
- 0.0% represent the MIL Division II (MIL Division II comprises 6.5% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; -1)
20% represent the OIA Red (OIA Red comprises 15.2% of the HHSAA; PAR)
- 20% represent the OIA Blue (OIA Blue comprises 15.2% of the HHSAA; PAR)
- 10% represent the OIA White (OIA White comprises 19.6% of the HHSAA; BELOW AVERAGE; -1))
(IMAGES BORROWED FROM SCORINGLIVE.COM)

*Not fair to give away points just because the conference is small.
Last edited by politclyincrekt on Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 am, edited 8 times in total.

dirtylickens
High-quality H20 provider
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dirtylickens »

I had no idea that Nanakuli was undefeated! Always root for the underdog. Especially one with the community base that will really rally around the team.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

Kaiser is 4-2, not 4-1, so I believe they will drop out of your topten or bump st.louis out of top ten.
-------------------

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Kaiser is 3-2 because of the forfiet to Aiea.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

I stand corrected. Kaiser's record has been changed (and Aiea's was correct...weird). But regardless Kaiser's ranking does not change as a result.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

huki-lau-lau wrote:Kaiser is 4-2, not 4-1, so I believe they will drop out of your topten or bump st.louis out of top ten.
Should Kaiser should bump St Louis? Can Kaiser beat St Louis? Don't think so, regardless of either team's record.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

Kaiser can't beat St. Louis, but I have to rank Kaiser above St. Louis simply because of their win against people in their Division. Kaiser has won more games against par opponents than St. Louis has. The win against Kahuku (fluke or not), Kaiser deserves to be in the Top 10. St. Louis only squeaks in because they beat Kamehameha.

It is very important to remember that regardless of how good St. Louis' offense is, if they lost to Kamehameha they would be 2-4 overall with no wins vs. Division I teams.

politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker

There are some very key match-ups this week. Let's see who's playing:

UPSET ALERT
#7 Kahuku over #4 Leilehua @ Kahuku
If this game wasn't in Kahuku, it would go the other way. But the Red Raiders are railing after a loss at Kaiser and the Red Raider faithful will be out in full force for Senior Night at Carlton Weimer. The winner of this game will more than likely enter the play-offs as the OIA Red Champion.

GAME OF THE WEEK
#3 Farrington over #2 Mililani @ Mililani
The second juggernaut game of the night, Farrington will top the Trojans in Mililani. Campbell exposed Mililani for 3 quarters. Farrington is, arguably, a tougher team than Campbell. If the Governors can keep the penalties to a minimum, they can come out on top of the OIA Blue.

#21 Nanakuli over #18 Pearl City @ Nanakuli
Another close contest that's decided by the home field advantage. The Golden Hawks are also celebrating Senior Night and that'll make all the difference in this OIA White contest.

#19 KS-Hawaii over Hawaii Prep @ Hawaii Prep
A key match-up and a must win for Kamehameha in the Battle of the BIIF. The Warriors must win if they want to keep up with Konawaena.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@politclyincrekt: You've made 3 interesting upset predictions; I would have to go against all 3.
1. Leilehua has played Kahuku many times before; they know about Kahuku's huge fan base, especially at Kahuku's home field. Therefore, I'd be surprised if those intangibles--even Kahuku Senior Night--will be enough to rattle Leilehua. Leilehua has a good passing game, and pass-defense is Kahuku's weakness. On top of that, Leilehua has a pretty solid D. Will have to go with Leilehua on this one.
2. Farrington is a great team, very physical, especially the defensive front-seven. However, I think Mililani is too strong offensively. Milton is easily the best QB in the OIA D1 Red, and Malepeai is the best RB in the state. Worse for Farrington: Milton can run as well as he passes. Against St Louis, he had more rushing yards than did Malepeai, the best RB in the state. Also, Mililani--like Farrington--is very physical on the line. Perhaps not quite as big, but still very physical. This will probably be a pretty close game, but I would have to go with Mililani; I think they simply have too many weapons, especially on offense.
3. Nanakuli is a very physical team, but Kaimuki gave them a scare for a while. I think Pearl City will be too much for Nanakuli to handle, particularly on offense; they have a good QB and a good RB. I don't think home-field advantage and Senior Night will be enough for Nanakuli to win.