St. Louis QB debacle

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Undftd
High-quality H20 provider

Re: St. Louis QB debacle

Post by Undftd »

Its easy to pick the QB to blame, but it looks like the STL QB is the best player on the field (true for both ryder and tua.), and thats really where the issue lies. Kobayashi finally decided to pick up his game (although it was pac five) and he is the only threat on the offense. the D isnt looking great either though so the blame has to go somewhere, unfortunately it somehow ends up n the QB's hands.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Undftd wrote:Its easy to pick the QB to blame, but it looks like the STL QB is the best player on the field (true for both ryder and tua.), and thats really where the issue lies. Kobayashi finally decided to pick up his game (although it was pac five) and he is the only threat on the offense. the D isnt looking great either though so the blame has to go somewhere, unfortunately it somehow ends up n the QB's hands.
I think that in Kobayashi's case, he simply wasn't CATCHING the ball until now. And, I don't think he's the ONLY threat on offense; don't forget Cui.

BowTow

Post by BowTow »

EITSwarrior wrote:
BowTow wrote:Squid Drive states that Ryder Kuhns is the reigning 2013 1st all state QB. I believe Larry Tuileta was the 1st team QB as well as offensive POY. The Star Advertiser also listed had Isaac Hurd as the 2nd team QB with Kuhns as the 3rd team QB.

Tough position for Kuhns to be in but he is talented enough to play football or baseball at the next level.

Tom Brady was a bench warmer in college and now he's a future Hall of Famer. :D
Tom Brady wasn't a bench warmer at Michigan. He was almost always in a constant QB competition against Drew Henson, but he wasn't a bench warmer by any means.

Funny how Brady and Henson almost mirror Ryder and Tua.
I stand corrected. Bench warmer his first 2 years (no shame in riding the bench as a Frosh or Soph) then starter his last 2 (Henson was Brady's back up). :D

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

Yeah, I could be wrong. I was referring to ILH. I thought Tuileta was player of the year and Kuhns All ILH, I assumed you could not be player of year and all ILH. Your list refers to All-State, which is correct.

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

Squid Diver. Do you know whether Kuhns actually practiced during the week of the Punahou game? An earlier poster mentioned that he did not practice that week. Also, it could be that the coaches are looking toward the future. How many D1 games did Saint Louis win the past 2 years? No doubt you would have been posting about Higgins getting screwed by the coaching staff if they had started Mariota during his junior year based upon what Higgins did the year before.

warriorfb
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by warriorfb »

How many times has Kuhns beaten Kamehameha or Punahou? Seems to me that that is the stat that really matters. I guess you could say the same for Tua, but we'll see in the upcoming weeks. The Saints still have a shot at that championship. It's a long shot unless they fix that D, but it's still possible.

warriorfb
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by warriorfb »

This thread is eerily similar to the "Mook Garcia gets the start over Kuhns?" thread a few years ago started by our favorite diver.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

bow89 wrote:Squid Diver. Do you know whether Kuhns actually practiced during the week of the Punahou game? An earlier poster mentioned that he did not practice that week. Also, it could be that the coaches are looking toward the future. How many D1 games did Saint Louis win the past 2 years? No doubt you would have been posting about Higgins getting screwed by the coaching staff if they had started Mariota during his junior year based upon what Higgins did the year before.
Yes, he missed one day that week due to illness. The rumor was that he missed the entire week which is false. You make a good comparison as well regarding Higgins versus Mariota. Higgins was prolific his entire career at St. Louis. He did not deserve to get benched over Mariota. Again, similar to Kuhns versus Tua situation. I made this argument two years ago. Higgins deserved to start and play his senior year.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

warriorfb wrote:This thread is eerily similar to the "Mook Garcia gets the start over Kuhns?" thread a few years ago started by our favorite diver.
:D You are correct! Kuhns only played when KMG was injured. KMG played most of the year, in the end, senior got slotted over underclassmen due to seniority which I believe was the wrong call. It was their judgement call to give the senior a go.

Kuhns vesus Bishop Gorman two years ago. Kuhns out played Gorman's QB based on three quarters versus Gorman's 4 quarters. Kuhn's came in the second quarter and lit them up. To me, Kuhns was loads better than the Gorman qb. That Gorman qb is now the starting qb at University of Arizona who is lighting everyone up. Kuhn's showed his talent then and may be losing his shot at a college career due to this debacle. Nonsense.

EITSwarrior
Hall of famer
Hall of famer

Post by EITSwarrior »

warriorfb wrote:This thread is eerily similar to the "Mook Garcia gets the start over Kuhns?" thread a few years ago started by our favorite diver.
Except Mook-Garcia did not have a good season prior to hang his hat on like Kuhns did last season.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

warriorfb wrote:How many times has Kuhns beaten Kamehameha or Punahou? Seems to me that that is the stat that really matters. I guess you could say the same for Tua, but we'll see in the upcoming weeks. The Saints still have a shot at that championship. It's a long shot unless they fix that D, but it's still possible.
I'm afraid it's worse than a long shot; it's virtually impossible. The only things St Louis can "fix" on D would be the pass-coverage schemes / packages. Even THEN, they might only slow-down Punahou's passing game. I don't think any of St Louis' DBs is a match for Noa. I think St Louis' REAL problem is that they simply don't have the size on the D-line. How do you "fix" that? It's a PHYSICAL limitation. With Punahou's O-line--and Taulapapa at RB--St Louis would NOT be able to stop Punahou's ground game. Hate to say it, but Punahou seems to have the ILH D1 title all wrapped-up. Believe me, I would rather see St Louis take it, but that almost certainly won't happen. It's just about equally certain that Kamehameha won't take it, either.

TheDuke
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by TheDuke »

Sorry but you won't be able to fix the St Louis D. They bigger bodies that they just don't have. If you can't stop the run with your front seven you won't stop the pass. And the DBs can't tackle RBs in space.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

saw the crusader LB's miss some easy tackles too. No aggression on this years D
-------------------

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

TheDuke wrote:Sorry but you won't be able to fix the St Louis D. They bigger bodies that they just don't have. If you can't stop the run with your front seven you won't stop the pass. And the DBs can't tackle RBs in space.
Well, if St Louis' D-linemen were strong and quick, PERHAPS they might be able to stop the PASS, because the O-linemen aren't firing-out, but instead, standing put to protect the QB, or perhaps rolling left or right, if the play calls for the QB to roll either way first. Perhaps then, a quick strong D-line can get around or between the O-linemen; the O-line isn't blowing the D-line back at the snap. Trouble is, Punahou doesn't HAVE to pass, because with their superior size on the O-line--plus a good RB in Taulapapa--all they have to do is keep pounding the rock.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

Sorry for venting, these forums have been therapeutic for me. Thought I was done commenting on this subject already but I have to say after watching Cover 2 with Rich Miano, I flipped.

We all know Miano has coached with and has strong connections with the Lee's. Miano justifying the Lee's decision stating on cover 2 that the sophomore is better than Mariota and will be the best QB ever to come out of St. Louis and that he finally busted out of his shell after the PAC-5 game. Really? First, the sophomore is really good and may be just that. I just can't make any sense out of this OVERWHELMING favoritism. I mean, they have been setting up this decision since spring ball. Coming out of shell after PAC-5 game? That's laughable.