St. Louis QB debacle

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
Squid Diver
High-quality H20 provider

St. Louis QB debacle

Post by Squid Diver »

Cal & Ron Lee has handled the QB situation horribly. Why has the Crusader nation and the coaches turned on Ryder Kuhns? What has he done to lose his job? Obviously, I feel Ryder Kuhns is the better QB and has done nothing to lose his job. The Lee's handed the job in April during spring ball to the sophomore while Kuhns played baseball. The media, Lee's, and Crusader nation support the sophomore obviously over Kuhns. I hear it on the radio, I read it in the paper, I hear it in the stands.

What did Kuhns do against Punahou last year? What body of work has the sophomore done to earn the accolades of the media and the Lee's? How can you not put in Kuhns earlier in the game against Punahou? The last series of the game? Its almost insulting or a punishment to Kuhns. It seems the game has passed the Lee's by after watching the game on Saturday. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Re: St. Louis QB debacle

Post by gridiron22 »

Tua is the better QB and the Lee's are doing just fine with what they got-
The Linebackers cant tackle and the entire defense takes bad angles to the ball.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

Disagree, obviously your one of the Crusader nation who supports the sophomore with no basis to your view. Exactly my point, blindly making a statement.

Coaches, media, and Crusader nation have handed this position to the sophomore. Provide reasoning or fact with your statement. Compare the body of work between the two? Versus Punahou?

Yeup, the defense is bad. There offense bad too? Better QB? 60 yards for the 1st half on Friday? Their offense was pathetic on Friday. To me it was the play calling, not so much QB.
Last edited by Squid Diver on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Not a crusader fan just an outside observer that saw Tua perform better then Kuhns in the Mililani and St. Bosco game. Add to the fact that Tua is bigger faster and stronger its a no brainer to start the sophomore and get him the game experience to build for the future, this season is all about rebuilding for next year, Kuhns seems like a nice guy and im sure he is quite the team player to understand that he needs to allow the better person to play.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

gridiron22 wrote:Not a crusader fan just an outside observer that saw Tua perform better then Kuhns in the Mililani and St. Bosco game. Add to the fact that Tua is bigger faster and stronger its a no brainer to start the sophomore and get him the game experience to build for the future, this season is all about rebuilding for next year, Kuhns seems like a nice guy and im sure he is quite the team player to understand that he needs to allow the better person to play.
He's not bigger, Kuhns 6'2", your right, the sophomore can run very well. Finally some feedback I can comment. I'll give you the pre-season games. What about Friday? Versus Punahou? Down 41? Kuhn's was a first team ILH selection. You give him a go, the sophomore got a chance after one quarter against Mililani and Boscoe. Kuhn's gets his chance with 2:00 to go in the game down 55-7? Make's no sense. Sophomore getting preferential treatment from the get go. Kuhn's previous two years of work doesn't qualify for a opportunity as was provided to the sophomore during pre-season games?

What did Kuhns do as a sophomore versus Bishop Gorman two years ago?
Last edited by Squid Diver on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

gridiron22 wrote:Not a crusader fan just an outside observer that saw Tua perform better then Kuhns in the Mililani and St. Bosco game. Add to the fact that Tua is bigger faster and stronger its a no brainer to start the sophomore and get him the game experience to build for the future, this season is all about rebuilding for next year, Kuhns seems like a nice guy and im sure he is quite the team player to understand that he needs to allow the better person to play.
Allowing the better person to play? Interesting statement, does this apply to all the positions or just QB? Kobayashi has started all three games in front of other receivers (Nunuha) and has produced nothing thus far. So by that reasoning Nunuha should start. How does the offense go from scoring 47 to 13 to 7 points?

When the offense went through the Slot Backs Cui & Souza the scoreboard lit up and going through the slots resulted in 47 points. The last 2 games they have been forcing balls to the WR's (specifically Kobayashi) and the results speak for themselves. Tua throws into double coverage all the time to Kobayashi who refuses to catch the ball when a Safety is looming on top of him.

I saw the Cui kid open over the middle so much times vs Punahou but Tua chose to throw to Kobayashi who was double covered. When Tua finally went to the middle Cui jumped up caught the ball was hit by the safety and was flipped over and landed hard on the turf at the 5 yd line. He jumped up held the ball up to show it was a catch and the crowd cheered! At that point, 1st and goal they go to a power formation, hand the ball of to the RB and he fumbles the ball on the goaline exactly the same thing that happened in the Mililani game. Should they replace the RB too?

I agree with you, but play the kids that are making plays. If you are going to force the ball then force it to the kids that will at least catch the ball or give you 100% effort on everyplay.

It is what it is... Why do the QB's make bad reads and throw into double coverage? Coaching.. Why do the RB's repeatedly fumble 1st and goal on the 5yd line? Coaching...Why do some WR refuse to catch the ball in traffic? Coaching..(nah maybe fear) Why do you stay in man coverage on Kanawai Noa with your DB after he got burned 3 times all for TD's? Coaching... Why do you not help the DB with Safety help over Noa? Coaching...

Maybe the Lee brothers are too old to be coaching...maybe...just my 2 cents.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

Squid Diver wrote:Cal & Ron Lee has handled the QB situation horribly. Why has the Crusader nation and the coaches turned on Ryder Kuhns? What has he done to lose his job? Obviously, I feel Ryder Kuhns is the better QB and has done nothing to lose his job. The Lee's handed the job in April during spring ball to the sophomore while Kuhns played baseball. The media, Lee's, and Crusader nation support the sophomore obviously over Kuhns. I hear it on the radio, I read it in the paper, I hear it in the stands.

What did Kuhns do against Punahou last year? What body of work has the sophomore done to earn the accolades of the media and the Lee's? How can you not put in Kuhns earlier in the game against Punahou? The last series of the game? Its almost insulting or a punishment to Kuhns. It seems the game has passed the Lee's by after watching the game on Saturday. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Didn't Tua outperform Kuhns in the Mililani game? THAT'S why. A coach has to go with the players who DELIVER.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

newguy wrote:
Allowing the better person to play? Interesting statement, does this apply to all the positions or just QB? Kobayashi has started all three games in front of other receivers (Nunuha) and has produced nothing thus far. So by that reasoning Nunuha should start. How does the offense go from scoring 47 to 13 to 7 points?

When the offense went through the Slot Backs Cui & Souza the scoreboard lit up and going through the slots resulted in 47 points. The last 2 games they have been forcing balls to the WR's (specifically Kobayashi) and the results speak for themselves. Tua throws into double coverage all the time to Kobayashi who refuses to catch the ball when a Safety is looming on top of him.

I saw the Cui kid open over the middle so much times vs Punahou but Tua chose to throw to Kobayashi who was double covered. When Tua finally went to the middle Cui jumped up caught the ball was hit by the safety and was flipped over and landed hard on the turf at the 5 yd line. He jumped up held the ball up to show it was a catch and the crowd cheered! At that point, 1st and goal they go to a power formation, hand the ball of to the RB and he fumbles the ball on the goaline exactly the same thing that happened in the Mililani game. Should they replace the RB too?

I agree with you, but play the kids that are making plays. If you are going to force the ball then force it to the kids that will at least catch the ball or give you 100% effort on everyplay.

It is what it is... Why do the QB's make bad reads and throw into double coverage? Coaching.. Why do the RB's repeatedly fumble 1st and goal on the 5yd line? Coaching...Why do some WR refuse to catch the ball in traffic? Coaching..(nah maybe fear) Why do you stay in man coverage on Kanawai Noa with your DB after he got burned 3 times all for TD's? Coaching... Why do you not help the DB with Safety help over Noa? Coaching...

You've made some interesting points, but I think we can blame St Louis' coaching only for the man coverage. The rest, I think the KIDS are making bad decisions, and / or simply screwing-up. Did the coaches TELL the QB to throw into double-coverage? Did the coaches TELL Kobayashi to not catch balls thrown his way? Did the coaches TELL the RB to fumble?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

Ok, one game? A senior with prolific statistics for two years prior? Two quarters you make that decision? Kuhns played well that game, he didn't deserve to lose his spot on that game alone. And the sophomore against Punahou? How many yards did he have the first half versus Punahou? You don't give your first team all-ILH QB last year a chance in the second half? Down 41 to 0, especially how he torched the Puns last year?

Again, makes no sense at all. You prove my point, where loads of people (for some reason) prefer the sophomore over Kuhns. I feel there is a overwhelming popularity contest among the new staff and Kuhns is the loser.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Squid Diver wrote:Ok, one game? A senior with prolific statistics for two years prior? Two quarters you make that decision? Kuhns played well that game, he didn't deserve to lose his spot on that game alone. And the sophomore against Punahou? How many yards did he have the first half versus Punahou? You don't give your first team all-ILH QB last year a chance in the second half? Down 41 to 0, especially how he torched the Puns last year?

Again, makes no sense at all. You prove my point, where loads of people (for some reason) prefer the sophomore over Kuhns. I feel there is a overwhelming popularity contest among the new staff and Kuhns is the loser.
OK, you may have a point. I don't know either kid, so I'm not biased in favor of either one. Perhaps you need to address your queries to Lee. You would THINK that Lee would play the QB he thinks is best. Hopefully there are no politics or favoritism involved. You would think that after each game, Lee is assessing / re-assessing the QB situation.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

I can see that if someone who had never seen either qb player before. He see's both qb's play for the first time against Mililani and Boscoe. Yeup, I wouldn't argue with that person. That's why I hadn't posted prior to Friday's game versus Punahou. It's not the first time where coaches made a choice that I didn't agree with. It is what it is.

For me, the final straw was the Punahou game. I mean, how many yards did the sophomore have at the half? Yeup, Punahou's defense is elite, tough for anyone (Kuhns tore them up last year). But not to give Kuhns a chance until two minutes to go in the game with a running clock? That is complete lunacy. There were rumors running rampant that the sophomore was the starter during spring ball and 7 on 7. I can't make sense of it.

newguy
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by newguy »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
newguy wrote:

You've made some interesting points, but I think we can blame St Louis' coaching only for the man coverage. The rest, I think the KIDS are making bad decisions, and / or simply screwing-up. Did the coaches TELL the QB to throw into double-coverage? Did the coaches TELL Kobayashi to not catch balls thrown his way? Did the coaches TELL the RB to fumble?
I apologize for not being clear but you do not coach techniques (catching the ball in traffic, ball security, reading defense) during the game, you do that in practice. So if you see that fumbling in the first game is a problem you coach ball security drills and techniques to stop that from happening again in the third game.

Did the coach cover technique and run drills in practice to prevent these things? The results say no. That is coaching my friend. The same mistakes from Game 1 to Game 3? Are the kids to blame for that. If a coach looks in the mirror and doesn't like what he sees he should make changes to the source of the reflection not throw out the mirror, buy a new one and expect the reflection to be different..

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Squid Diver wrote:I can see that if someone who had never seen either qb player before. He see's both qb's play for the first time against Mililani and Boscoe. Yeup, I wouldn't argue with that person. That's why I hadn't posted prior to Friday's game versus Punahou. It's not the first time where coaches made a choice that I didn't agree with. It is what it is.

For me, the final straw was the Punahou game. I mean, how many yards did the sophomore have at the half? Yeup, Punahou's defense is elite, tough for anyone (Kuhns tore them up last year). But not to give Kuhns a chance until two minutes to go in the game with a running clock? That is complete lunacy. There were rumors running rampant that the sophomore was the starter during spring ball and 7 on 7. I can't make sense of it.
Which raises the question: If Kuhns tore-up Punahou's D last year, why can't he do it THIS year? The only guy who graduated is that baseball player (can't remember his name at the moment). But, they have Kobayashi and Cui back. Why was the passing game so bad against Punahou THIS year? Did the O-line lose lots of guys to graduation? Is Punahou's D that much better than last year?
Last edited by HS Football Fanatic on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

@ newguy: I've been hearing that Kobayashi simply hasn't been catching balls like he did last year; I'm reluctant to lay that to coaching. Also, I'm not sure that coaching should be blamed for a case of "fumble-itis." I think the players were demoralized by the score, and were not playing with intensity or concentration. I think they were "shell-shocked." As they say: "When it rains, it pours."

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

Stubblefield, which is a big loss. But you are spot on. Cui and Kobayashi are elite players. Their O-line is huge and elite as well. They are returning a quality offense, no doubt. It's the play calling. You can only throw curl ins and flats so much. To me, the sophomore looks to run first then throw. To challenge Punahou, you need to throw deep. Kuhns arm is stronger and looks to throw first. Perfect versus Punahou. You can't run against Punahou's defense. Just too good.

Having said that, they chose the sophomore, Ok. Second half you need to make a change, especially with the first team ILH QB from last year sitting on the bench. If you don't have that quality reserve, yeup keep the starter in. Which leads me to assume, there is something more going on than just choosing another QB over Kuhns.