St. Louis QB debacle

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
backyard ballaz
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Re: St. Louis QB debacle

Post by backyard ballaz »

The problem with St Louis' offense is not the qb. Both are capable of running that offense and putting up respectable numbers. I think Ron has become too concerned with putting up numbers and has forgotten that they need to play to win games. It's crystal clear that the Crusaders have no run game. When your leading rusher is the qb, that's a problem. When your starting rb's failed to get 100 yards...in 4 games, that's a problem. Look at the stats, between 3 rb's, they share a total of 38 carries! In 4 games! It's also crystal clear that the Crusaders are struggling on defense. Why would an offense flick the ball all over the field and prolong a game when your defense is obviously struggling? You have a great set of offensive lineman, why not scheme to run the ball a little more. Almost every team is running 2 deep safties on you, there's no reason not to be able to run the ball. Instead, they overfeed the slots till a smart team learns to just take it away. They force the ball into double coverage and blame the receivers. I think Ron has too much pride in putting up passing numbers. His juggernaut of a offense wouldn't look good if their pass numbers dropped and they could actually run the ball. The strength of the Crusaders offense is the offensive line - make use of it. Cal has also proven at Kalani that he can't turn mediocre talent on defense into a shutdown unit.

HumbleFan1
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by HumbleFan1 »

backyard ballaz wrote:The problem with St Louis' offense is not the qb. Both are capable of running that offense and putting up respectable numbers. I think Ron has become too concerned with putting up numbers and has forgotten that they need to play to win games. It's crystal clear that the Crusaders have no run game. When your leading rusher is the qb, that's a problem. When your starting rb's failed to get 100 yards...in 4 games, that's a problem. Look at the stats, between 3 rb's, they share a total of 38 carries! In 4 games! It's also crystal clear that the Crusaders are struggling on defense. Why would an offense flick the ball all over the field and prolong a game when your defense is obviously struggling? You have a great set of offensive lineman, why not scheme to run the ball a little more. Almost every team is running 2 deep safties on you, there's no reason not to be able to run the ball. Instead, they overfeed the slots till a smart team learns to just take it away. They force the ball into double coverage and blame the receivers. I think Ron has too much pride in putting up passing numbers. His juggernaut of a offense wouldn't look good if their pass numbers dropped and they could actually run the ball. The strength of the Crusaders offense is the offensive line - make use of it. Cal has also proven at Kalani that he can't turn mediocre talent on defense into a shutdown unit.
What they need is faith in their RBs. They don't seem to have it.

University Ave
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by University Ave »

backyard ballaz wrote:The problem with St Louis' offense is not the qb. Both are capable of running that offense and putting up respectable numbers. I think Ron has become too concerned with putting up numbers and has forgotten that they need to play to win games. It's crystal clear that the Crusaders have no run game. When your leading rusher is the qb, that's a problem. When your starting rb's failed to get 100 yards...in 4 games, that's a problem. Look at the stats, between 3 rb's, they share a total of 38 carries! In 4 games! It's also crystal clear that the Crusaders are struggling on defense. Why would an offense flick the ball all over the field and prolong a game when your defense is obviously struggling? You have a great set of offensive lineman, why not scheme to run the ball a little more. Almost every team is running 2 deep safties on you, there's no reason not to be able to run the ball. Instead, they overfeed the slots till a smart team learns to just take it away. They force the ball into double coverage and blame the receivers. I think Ron has too much pride in putting up passing numbers. His juggernaut of a offense wouldn't look good if their pass numbers dropped and they could actually run the ball. The strength of the Crusaders offense is the offensive line - make use of it. Cal has also proven at Kalani that he can't turn mediocre talent on defense into a shutdown unit.

good points. It's the best recipe for a blowout bad defense and an offense that won't run some clock and shorten a game. Maybe the reason why their 3 losses were run aways.

thanohano44
All-conference
All-conference
MLB: baseball aint a sport.
NBA: Suns
NFL: Raiders

Post by thanohano44 »

Squid Diver wrote:Cal & Ron Lee has handled the QB situation horribly. Why has the Crusader nation and the coaches turned on Ryder Kuhns? What has he done to lose his job? Obviously, I feel Ryder Kuhns is the better QB and has done nothing to lose his job. The Lee's handed the job in April during spring ball to the sophomore while Kuhns played baseball. The media, Lee's, and Crusader nation support the sophomore obviously over Kuhns. I hear it on the radio, I read it in the paper, I hear it in the stands.

What did Kuhns do against Punahou last year? What body of work has the sophomore done to earn the accolades of the media and the Lee's? How can you not put in Kuhns earlier in the game against Punahou? The last series of the game? Its almost insulting or a punishment to Kuhns. It seems the game has passed the Lee's by after watching the game on Saturday. It just doesn't make any sense at all.
Tagovailoa is a much better QB...and has 2 more years after this to go....makes perfect sense. #TeamTua

thanohano44
All-conference
All-conference

Post by thanohano44 »

studfinder wrote:In reality, if Kuhns is not doing his job, he should be replaced. No matter where you go, if you don't perform, they replace you. Tua is their present and future star, let him start now to gain more experience. Ryder did great when it was his time, but now it's time to rebuild, new coach, new beginning. It is sad that Kuhns is a senior, but I don't think they are pushing him aside like garbage, he was given chances to come back and perform, he didn't.
exactly. he is not owed a starting position. he needs to earn it. he hasn't. this doesn't mean he cant get it back. competition will make both better players and young men.

Squid Diver
High-quality H20 provider

Post by Squid Diver »

thanohano44 wrote:
Tagovailoa is a much better QB...and has 2 more years after this to go....makes perfect sense. #TeamTua
Total hot air. Nothing for a player going into his senior year looking to make a jump to the next level? Recruiting? As a school, coaching staff, most importantly, it's just the right thing to do. They do owe the player a every opportunity to further their chances to the next level, not hinder it. Coaches should want to help any player, especially a senior. Where's the support? Instead, they put up a HUGE wall, and said we don't care about him or his future. Like I said complete disrespect, total disregard for a student athlete and a seniors future. Kuhns deserves better.

Another hot air cheer from right field. Earth is flat too. Team Tua is exactly my point. Lee's are all Team Tua as well as Crusader Nation. Blind blank statements. I've stated my case with stats and past history..........Bishop Gorman, Punahou........list goes on.
Last edited by Squid Diver on Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

thanohano44 wrote:
studfinder wrote:In reality, if Kuhns is not doing his job, he should be replaced. No matter where you go, if you don't perform, they replace you. Tua is their present and future star, let him start now to gain more experience. Ryder did great when it was his time, but now it's time to rebuild, new coach, new beginning. It is sad that Kuhns is a senior, but I don't think they are pushing him aside like garbage, he was given chances to come back and perform, he didn't.
exactly. he is not owed a starting position. he needs to earn it. he hasn't. this doesn't mean he cant get it back. competition will make both better players and young men.
Never said nothing was owed.....Sophomore was given job in April....Why? 7 on 7 passing league? Why? It's easy......Lee's decided this was their guy while Kuhns was in baseball. Media, Miani, Lee's.....never ends.

When you get put in the game at the at the very last series of the game against Punahou, 56-6? 41-0 at halftime? Your not getting in at all. Makes no sense. Lee's moved on without Kuhns.
Last edited by Squid Diver on Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

Squid Diver wrote:
thanohano44 wrote:
Never said nothing was owed.....Sophomore was given job in April....Why? 7 on 7 passing league? Why? It's easy......Lee's decided this was their guy while Kuhns was in baseball. Players and coaches always complain about Kuhns.......Pure and simple jealously by players and coaches. Their has been a movement at St. Louis since he took starting job...they just don't like Kuhns pure and simple.....wrong side of the island is my guess. He's been getting a bad rap his entire career at St. Louis....no support from Crusader nation. Media, Mianio, Lee's.....never ends.
I generally agree with you.

The way Kuhns played against Mililani and Bosco compared to the way Tagavailoa played, it's not hard to justify the switch, but the truth is that no one has ever been in Ryder's corner. I have it from a very reputable source that Ron Lee never liked Ryder and gave every opportunity to Tua to unseat him. The guy had the best statistical season in school history and all of a sudden he's in an offseason competition?

Having to play behind a clearly inferior player his sophomore year and garnering whispers about his "Romo-like tendencies" as a junior is going to mess with your head a little. I'm not that surprised that he laid eggs against Mililani and Bosco.

Kuhns is a different type of personality- he's not a bad guy at all- but he's not a "football" personality. But he shows up to practice and doesn't ruffle feathers. So what if he's not 'rah rah' and leading the sprints? The guy is a nice dude who happens to be able to throw a football. Saint Louis failed him because he was different. Plain and simple.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

saynotomercs wrote:
I generally agree with you.

The way Kuhns played against Mililani and Bosco compared to the way Tagavailoa played, it's not hard to justify the switch, but the truth is that no one has ever been in Ryder's corner. I have it from a very reputable source that Ron Lee never liked Ryder and gave every opportunity to Tua to unseat him. The guy had the best statistical season in school history and all of a sudden he's in an offseason competition?

Having to play behind a clearly inferior player his sophomore year and garnering whispers about his "Romo-like tendencies" as a junior is going to mess with your head a little. I'm not that surprised that he laid eggs against Mililani and Bosco.

Kuhns is a different type of personality- he's not a bad guy at all- but he's not a "football" personality. But he shows up to practice and doesn't ruffle feathers. So what if he's not 'rah rah' and leading the sprints? The guy is a nice dude who happens to be able to throw a football. Saint Louis failed him because he was different. Plain and simple.
You hit on the nose 100%. Your right and I have said this earlier, if your watching both QB's for the first time against Mililani and Bosco, yeup, sophomore looked better. The truth, we all know the history. Past accomplishments matter.

The thing is, we all know Kuhns. He is a complete gamer. He doesn't care if he's first in line or last. He is so laid back......his entire siblings are the exact same way. That doesn't mean he is any less of competitor, less engaged, or less focused. He keeps emotions to himself which is admirable in this day and age where people are self-promoting. He doesn't flash signs or bring attention to himself. Perception is everything to some, you can't tell a book by it's cover.

As I said before, this decision was made in the spring. I heard from a reputable source as well that while in baseball.......players and coaches were in the Lee's ear speaking negatively of Kuhns during spring ball. He doesn't deserve this treatment.......he deserves better from Crusader Nation.

bow89
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by bow89 »

Squid Diver and Saynotomercs

You cannot say that Tua was given the job. Ryder was given the starts in both preseason games and Tua performed better. Sayno weren't you the one who constantly criticized Matt Wright and the Saint Louis system for starting Seniors over deserving underclassman? Didn't you say that Matt Wright's staff only cared about their athletes highlight tape instead of winning games. Squid Diver seems to think that the highlight tape and college recruitment should supersede all else. Are you both saying that no matter how well Ryder did in preseason, Tua would still be starting? Don't you think that if a coaching staff wants to change the mindset of its players, it should matter if the offensive leader wants to be the fist to complete drills? What you seem to be saying is as long as someone had a good season the year before, albeit with the help of Devon Stubblefield and Adam Noga, he should be given the start regardless of his intensity in practice or his performance in preseason because you are ruining his chances of a college scholarship? What about the his other teammates?

kapakahi
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*
Location: formerly SoCal (Long Beach, South Bay & the OC); relocated back to Honolulu

Post by kapakahi »

thanohano44
All-conference
All-conference

Post by thanohano44 »

Squid Diver wrote:
thanohano44 wrote:
Total hot air. Nothing for a player going into his senior year looking to make a jump to the next level? Recruiting? As a school, coaching staff, most importantly, it's just the right thing to do. They do owe the player a every opportunity to further their chances to the next level, not hinder it. Coaches should want to help any player, especially a senior. Where's the support? Instead, they put up a HUGE wall, and said we don't care about him or his future. Like I said complete disrespect, total disregard for a student athlete and a seniors future. Kuhns deserves better.

Another hot air cheer from right field. Earth is flat too. Team Tua is exactly my point. Lee's are all Team Tua as well as Crusader Nation. Blind blank statements. I've stated my case with stats and past history..........Bishop Gorman, Punahou........list goes on.
IMHO Tua is a better athlete that gives them more options. I don't know the back story. I'd imagine if tua isn't getting the job done, Kuhns would be put back in.

Squid Diver

Post by Squid Diver »

bow89 wrote:Squid Diver and Saynotomercs

You cannot say that Tua was given the job. Ryder was given the starts in both preseason games and Tua performed better. Sayno weren't you the one who constantly criticized Matt Wright and the Saint Louis system for starting Seniors over deserving underclassman? Didn't you say that Matt Wright's staff only cared about their athletes highlight tape instead of winning games. Squid Diver seems to think that the highlight tape and college recruitment should supersede all else. Are you both saying that no matter how well Ryder did in preseason, Tua would still be starting? Don't you think that if a coaching staff wants to change the mindset of its players, it should matter if the offensive leader wants to be the fist to complete drills? What you seem to be saying is as long as someone had a good season the year before, albeit with the help of Devon Stubblefield and Adam Noga, he should be given the start regardless of his intensity in practice or his performance in preseason because you are ruining his chances of a college scholarship? What about the his other teammates?
I am saying just that. Rumors were running wild back in April of the upcoming change. Something was up. Coaches from other iLH schools and players were all hearing the same thing back in April. My contention is that, Crusader Nation, some Crusader coaches, players, do not prefer Kuhns. I'll say it again, Kuhns did not deserve to lose his job on two pre-season games. The sophomore certainly didn't play well against Punahou and Kuhns deserved a chance at halftime. Why did he not get it? They don't want him in at all unless absolutely no choice.

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

bow89 wrote:Squid Diver and Saynotomercs

This is a very logical point. I didn't disagree with Ryder's benching as much as the way the coaches and community treated him during his sophomore and junior years. Tua's on his way to becoming one of the best players in school history. That shouldn't be overshadowed. But Ryder should've been given a longer leash and more confidence from the coaching staff in the summer.

gridiron22
Pine rider
Pine rider
NBA: LakersChargers
NFL: chargers

Post by gridiron22 »

Squid Diver wrote:
I am saying just that. Rumors were running wild back in April of the upcoming change. Something was up. Coaches from other iLH schools and players were all hearing the same thing back in April. My contention is that, Crusader Nation, some Crusader coaches, players, do not prefer Kuhns. I'll say it again, Kuhns did not deserve to lose his job on two pre-season games. The sophomore certainly didn't play well against Punahou and Kuhns deserved a chance at halftime. Why did he not get it? They don't want him in at all unless absolutely no choice.
How this thread went 8 pages deep with one person saying the exact same thing over and over is beyond me. Just be happy for the kids.