Kahuku High Red Raider Football- 2014 pg1-6, 2015 pg7..

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
politclyincrekt
Play Maker
Play Maker
NFL: Chicago Bears

Re: Kahuku High Red Raider Football- 2014 and beyond

Post by politclyincrekt »

Just a few things for everyone to remember:

1) Both teams have very strong defenses: Leilehua has held Kahuku but Kahuku has also held Leilehua which, last I checked, has a really powerful offense.

2) Lee Leslie is changing Kahuku's offense: We are not going to see the same smashmouth team we're all used to seeing and that's something that everyone is going to have to live with. We could be seeing some mobile quarterbacks coming out of Big Red in the next few years but that system is being built. You cannot expect Kahuku to steamroll their schedule while they are in transition.

3) Kahuku's offense doesn't have to beat Mililani's offense: If Kahuku can do to Mililani what it's doing to Leilehua, Kahuku's offense will score against Mililani's defense.

But saying things like "This is the worst kahuku offensive showing in the history of its program right there. If they win it'll be the most embarrassing win ever" really shows your level of support for the program. This is the first time I've seen Kahuku play this season and Lee Leslie is really a class coach. It's a great program with strong support from the school and community. There's a lot of pride and a lot to be proud of for Kahuku's football team. That's something I never understood about some Kahuku fans. They get bent out of shape when they don't absolutely crush their opponent. Be glad they aren't dropping fumbles and throwing interceptions the way they were last week.

dafever
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dafever »

dirtylickens wrote:As i watch this game, it is 21-14, Kahuku is winning. It took their offense two and a half quarters to get a first down. Santiago is a beast in the return game, but am i the only one who feels as if tonight Leilehua is the better team. I know Kahuku is winning but i feel like tonight Leilehua is playing better. Defensively and offensively. If this is played on a turf field, or anywhere with more grip the score might be different
Leilehua is the better team tonight. Why? because they have their bread and butter down. Kahuku's offense on the other hand has no bread and no butter. What's up with this three running back no quarter back type offense, its terrible. Kahuku needs to go back to the basics and keep it simple.

dafever
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dafever »

politclyincrekt wrote:Just a few things for everyone to remember:

1) Both teams have very strong defenses: Leilehua has held Kahuku but Kahuku has also held Leilehua which, last I checked, has a really powerful offense.

2) Lee Leslie is changing Kahuku's offense: We are not going to see the same smashmouth team we're all used to seeing and that's something that everyone is going to have to live with. We could be seeing some mobile quarterbacks coming out of Big Red in the next few years but that system is being built. You cannot expect Kahuku to steamroll their schedule while they are in transition.

3) Kahuku's offense doesn't have to beat Mililani's offense: If Kahuku can do to Mililani what it's doing to Leilehua, Kahuku's offense will score against Mililani's defense.

But saying things like "This is the worst kahuku offensive showing in the history of its program right there. If they win it'll be the most embarrassing win ever" really shows your level of support for the program. This is the first time I've seen Kahuku play this season and Lee Leslie is really a class coach. It's a great program with strong support from the school and community. There's a lot of pride and a lot to be proud of for Kahuku's football team. That's something I never understood about some Kahuku fans. They get bent out of shape when they don't absolutely crush their opponent. Be glad they aren't dropping fumbles and throwing interceptions the way they were last week.
Its not about supporting the team. Its about supporting the offensive decisions being made which is terrible. Why put your gun away and use your fists in a gun fight? You don't totally change your offense when playing good teams that's what the easy teams were for.

BowTow
High-quality H20 provider

Post by BowTow »

Leilehua lost a big offensive option when Neverson got hurt. :D

reignjah11
Hall of famer
Hall of famer
MLB: Boston Red Sox
NBA: Dallas Mavericks
NFL: New England Patriots

Post by reignjah11 »

BowTow wrote:Leilehua lost a big offensive option when Neverson got hurt. :D
Yup plus the muddy field doesn't help an offense like Leilehua that relies on their speed and finesse.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

positives:
- kahuku secondary starting to make their tackles
- keala santiago is poy material, the next kawe johnson
- soli exclusive at db gives us a way better defense
- special teams blocking is phenomenal allowing for long returns
- salanoa-wily is a straight up beast and classy too and the heart of this team (just like big bro aofaga and their uncle big T, they a classy family)

negatives:
- experiment with kesi at qb in first half was a big fail
- experiment with kesi at qb in second half was a big fail
- breakdowns occur at the oline and the oline needs major work
- seniors making unacceptable personal fouls
- overall team penaltys is ridiculously too much
- kahuku wr#1 classless clapping to the downed mules db (glad he got benched after that, should get kicked off the team, is he from the mainland? cause our local country boys dont act like that) i usually see that kind of cockiness from military kids playing for the town teams.
-------------------

dafever
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by dafever »

huki-lau-lau wrote:positives:
- kahuku secondary starting to make their tackles
- keala santiago is poy material, the next kawe johnson
- soli exclusive at db gives us a way better defense
- special teams blocking is phenomenal allowing for long returns
- salanoa-wily is a straight up beast and classy too and the heart of this team (just like big bro aofaga and their uncle big T, they a classy family)

negatives:
- experiment with kesi at qb in first half was a big fail
- experiment with kesi at qb in second half was a big fail
- breakdowns occur at the oline and the oline needs major work
- seniors making unacceptable personal fouls
- overall team penaltys is ridiculously too much
- #1 classless clapping to mules db (glad he got benched after that, should get kicked off the team)
Agreed. 100% Defense made strides forward while the offense needs help. Hopefully Leilehua heals up and have a good showing in the playoffs. They are a good team. If they can mix it up more with that running back they will be better.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

politclyincrekt wrote:
the problem is that kahukus up and coming talent gets pouched by private schools so a young promising qb in JV might not see the varsity team. its that way everyear we lose at least 5 promising players from various position so our varsity needs to plan with what is left. we are not a growing city area where new familys are moving in or jobs are plentiful for people relocate or even continue to live in the area.

schools like leilehua and mililani/stlouis/punahou has established themselves as passing schools so promising qbs and wr's are flocking to those schools. i dont see lee leslie turning kahuku into quarterback U and if he tries he will have to sacrifice wins (and potential a few seasons) to get there and i dont think the community wants to lose games while experimenting with passing plays.

politclyincrekt wrote: Be glad they aren't dropping fumbles and throwing interceptions the way they were last week.
tuli at QB gives us the best chance to drive the offense down the field there is no other option so i hope leslies offensive experiment tonight is trashed. the one thing about kahuku football that he has to learn to understand is that , what you see is what you get, you cant detour from the bread and butter which is running the ball and play action. until we get a QB that can handle running a spread.
-------------------

Rocket95

Post by Rocket95 »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
politclyincrekt wrote:
the problem is that kahukus up and coming talent gets pouched by private schools so a young promising qb in JV might not see the varsity team. its that way everyear we lose at least 5 promising players from various position so our varsity needs to plan with what is left. we are not a growing city area where new familys are moving in or jobs are plentiful for people relocate or even continue to live in the area.

schools like leilehua and mililani/stlouis/punahou has established themselves as passing schools so promising qbs and wr's are flocking to those schools. i dont see lee leslie turning kahuku into quarterback U and if he tries he will have to sacrifice wins (and potential a few seasons) to get there and i dont think the community wants to lose games while experimenting with passing plays.

politclyincrekt wrote: Be glad they aren't dropping fumbles and throwing interceptions the way they were last week.
tuli at QB gives us the best chance to drive the offense down the field there is no other option so i hope leslies offensive experiment tonight is trashed. the one thing about kahuku football that he has to learn to understand is that , what you see is what you get, you cant detour from the bread and butter which is running the ball and play action. until we get a QB that can handle running a spread.
So obviously the QB position at Kahuku could use a little help. Coach Leslie changing
The program to a more balanced team is a good thing. Just like Cal Lee needing time to recruit his players to build his team, Coach Leslie will need time to develop his power run oriented athletes to also be a fast passing team too. As far as Private Schools taking north shore talent? Well that's been happening for years and Kahuku still managed to win the most State Championships (not including the Prep Bowl Era). I may be wrong, But my understanding was that private schools grabs the kids from the big boys league. Are you saying Tuliloa was a JV QB at Kahuku before he went to Punahou? To transfer after your JV season to a ILH school will have to mean they sit a year. Was this the case this year? No doubt Kahuku is loaded with talented athletes they just need time to adjust to a new system and it starts with the QB.

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

This was the worst offense performance I'd ever seen from Kahuku! I really think they should go back to running the power I offense. I believe that's were the offense can do its damage and I believe that Kahuku would 've been a strong team with coach Reggie.

HS Football Fanatic
*True Sports Fan*
*True Sports Fan*

Post by HS Football Fanatic »

politclyincrekt wrote:Just a few things for everyone to remember:

1. I think Kahuku has the strongest alumni support in the state, with St Louis right behind. That's right, St Louis. At St Louis' football games, I've seen their alumni get real punchy, especially back in the 1980s.
2. I think there's no way Kahuku can beat Mililani, especially after what we saw last night. Kahuku has two major problems: A weak O, and a weak secondary. I have to assume Mililani has a better D than does Leilehua, particularly the down-linemen. Mililani has a couple of beasts among those: Manu and Kaaiawaawa. Even more problematic for Kahuku is its secondary. Mililani's Milton is the best QB in the division, and perhaps the entire OIA D1. Finally, don't forget that Mililani has the best RB in the state: Malepeai.

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

Offensive Front. I have never seen a Kahuku offensive Oline that chop block so much. Why? There Oline is big not to quick and once they chop they don't get up quick enough to do anything else. The splits on the Oline seems to be a little wider too. I think kahuku should put their Oline toe to toe and run block their way back to a state championship. Their defense is doing a great job but their offense needs to give them a break sometimes and take some time off the clock.
Last edited by EASTHONFAN on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

harus0ra wrote:This was the worst offense performance I'd ever seen from Kahuku! I really think they should go back to running the power I offense. I believe that's were the offense can do its damage and I believe that Kahuku would 've been a strong team with coach Reggie.
looking from the outside you would think, things happen behind the scene that you dont see or know about, the oline had to fill a gap on a starter and things got shuffled around so players were getting used to new positions. easy to blame but when i talked to my nephew on the team he was telling me exactly why all the breakdowns were happening and it all made sense, then i realized that sometimes i need to just shut my big dayum armchair Qb mout about the negative stuff!

and just support the team in a way that if they came in reading this forum they would feel the support and not criticism from our own kind! lol, #supportRR4L
-------------------

whatdoesthefoxsay
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by whatdoesthefoxsay »

huki-lau-lau wrote:
harus0ra wrote:This was the worst offense performance I'd ever seen from Kahuku! I really think they should go back to running the power I offense. I believe that's were the offense can do its damage and I believe that Kahuku would 've been a strong team with coach Reggie.
looking from the outside you would think, things happen behind the scene that you dont see or know about, the oline had to fill a gap on a starter and things got shuffled around so players were getting used to new positions. easy to blame but when i talked to my nephew on the team he was telling me exactly why all the breakdowns were happening and it all made sense, then i realized that sometimes i need to just shut my big dayum armchair Qb mout about the negative stuff!
Nice post, Huki-lau-lau..... Well said.

Aitorahi
MLB: Washington Nationals
NBA: OKC Thunder
NFL: SF Niners

Post by Aitorahi »

huki-lau-lau wrote:

and just support the team in a way that if they came in reading this forum they would feel the support and not criticism from our own kind! lol, #supportRR4L
Great post and reminder. RR4L!!!