Kahuku High Red Raider Football- 2014 pg1-6, 2015 pg7..

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Re: Kahuku High Red Raider Football- 2014 and beyond

Post by huki-lau-lau »

HS Football Fanatic wrote:
politclyincrekt wrote: 2. I think there's no way Kahuku can beat Mililani, especially after what we saw last night. Kahuku has two major problems: A weak O, and a weak secondary. I have to assume Mililani has a better D than does Leilehua, particularly the down-linemen. Mililani has a couple of beasts among those: Manu and Kaaiawaawa. Even more problematic for Kahuku is its secondary. Mililani's Milton is the best QB in the division, and perhaps the entire OIA D1. Finally, don't forget that Mililani has the best RB in the state: Malepeai.
mililanis D is vulnerable they are good but not great, farrington was able to drive as was campbell. watching mililani D i get the feeling that they will let you score 40 points on them because they know they will score 60 on you.

kahukus defense is for real, after moving around some players lastnight they look pretty decent in the secondary much more impressive then the farringotn d tonight. big question for kahuku is, can they get an offensive unit in place to sustain drives? I think its possible to find that formula in 3 weeks b4 the opening of the playoffs.

once mililani gets into a groove and starts to roll as the first half moves on they look unstoppable, all kahuku needs to do is stop a few of those drives and then march the ball down the field killing the clock, limit mill offense from getting on the field , thats the only way i think an OIA team stops mililani. not sure if you saw lastyears oia playoff game against kahuku vs. mililani but kahuku had momentum in the first half even with a skeptical d and average offense. this year we have a better defense and the same if not better offensive personell.

never count kahuku out, odds may not b in our favor but i see a light at the end of the tunnell.
-------------------

EASTHONFAN
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by EASTHONFAN »

OIA Championship game Kahuku vs Mililani

dirtylickens
High-quality H20 provider

Post by dirtylickens »

dafever wrote:
dirtylickens wrote:As i watch this game, it is 21-14, Kahuku is winning. It took their offense two and a half quarters to get a first down. Santiago is a beast in the return game, but am i the only one who feels as if tonight Leilehua is the better team. I know Kahuku is winning but i feel like tonight Leilehua is playing better. Defensively and offensively. If this is played on a turf field, or anywhere with more grip the score might be different
Leilehua is the better team tonight. Why? because they have their bread and butter down. Kahuku's offense on the other hand has no bread and no butter. What's up with this three running back no quarter back type offense, its terrible. Kahuku needs to go back to the basics and keep it simple.

So is it Leilehua's fault that Kahuku doesnt have there bread and butter down? I just watched the game and felt as if Leilehua would have beaten Kahuku if they played on a better field. i.e. the stadium, anywhere with turf. Kahuku is just not as good as we al thought. As long as Leslie tries to implement this new offensive scheme and the kids dont get it, there offense will be in trouble. Leilehua was a scrappy team and I think they will make noise in the OIA and state pllayoffs.

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

Kahuku 28 Waianae 15
Last week against leilehua they win without scoring on offense, this week they win on 4 passing TD's and no running TD.
lets hope in their next game the running game comes around and we are now a complete team readdy for contention.

kahuku is #1 out of Red division, here is the path to OIA title game along with my predictions...

Oct 10 = BYE
Oct 17 = at home vs Kapolei (imagine how pumped the canes will be to redeem their loss earlier in the season)
Oct 24 = at stadium vs Farrington in semifinals (govs running offense look more powerful then kahuku but overall team power goes to kahuku)
Oct 31 = vs Mililani in Championship game (hopefully kahuku learn how to ball control and time manage then they have good chance to win this one)

What else surprises big red got instore for us?

who woulda thought Tuli throw 4 td's? pretty darn accurate and I believe Coach Leslie has all the confidence in the world for the offense its just a matter of personnel shifting and solidifying their positions. the weak schedule and blowing out teams earlier in the year was a disservice for big red as the weak links weren't found out until later in the season when they played tougher teams.

now that they are pretty set on who are the best personell in each position I hope they take this bye week into the playoffs to heal up and get repititions for the starters. I feel they wasted the whole first half of the season with false sense of security in those current starters that they didnt need any adjustments, but now that they found those weak links they made the neccesary adjustments.
-------------------

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

huki-lau-lau wrote:Kahuku 28 Waianae 15
Last week against leilehua they win without scoring on offense, this week they win on 4 passing TD's and no running TD.
lets hope in their next game the running game comes around and we are now a complete team readdy for contention.

kahuku is #1 out of Red division, here is the path to OIA title game along with my predictions...

Oct 10 = BYE
Oct 17 = at home vs Kapolei (imagine how pumped the canes will be to redeem their loss earlier in the season)
Oct 24 = at stadium vs Farrington in semifinals (govs running offense look more powerful then kahuku but overall team power goes to kahuku)
Oct 31 = vs Mililani in Championship game (hopefully kahuku learn how to ball control and time manage then they have good chance to win this one)

What else surprises big red got instore for us?

who woulda thought Tuli throw 4 td's? pretty darn accurate and I believe Coach Leslie has all the confidence in the world for the offense its just a matter of personnel shifting and solidifying their positions. the weak schedule and blowing out teams earlier in the year was a disservice for big red as the weak links weren't found out until later in the season when they played tougher teams.

now that they are pretty set on who are the best personell in each position I hope they take this bye week into the playoffs to heal up and get repititions for the starters. I feel they wasted the whole first half of the season with false sense of security in those current starters that they didnt need any adjustments, but now that they found those weak links they made the neccesary adjustments.
Im excited to see this happen.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

scoringlive has kahuku defense/special teams #1 in the state as the list below.
1. Kahuku 84.5
2. Farrington 71.5
3. Punahou 70.0
4. Castle 60.0
5. Waianae 50.0
6. Nanakuli 46.5
7. Campbell 41.5
8. Mililani 37.0

count down to the quarterfinals is on, kapolei will be visiting kahuku this friday. can anyone confirm if oc16 is going to cover this game? i think they are.
-------------------

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

huki-lau-lau wrote:scoringlive has kahuku defense/special teams #1 in the state as the list below.
1. Kahuku 84.5
2. Farrington 71.5
3. Punahou 70.0
4. Castle 60.0
5. Waianae 50.0
6. Nanakuli 46.5
7. Campbell 41.5
8. Mililani 37.0

count down to the quarterfinals is on, kapolei will be visiting kahuku this friday. can anyone confirm if oc16 is going to cover this game? i think they are.
Responded in the other thread but these are not rankings but raw data of points scroed by the defense. More games = high chance of more points, hence punahou being so low.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

huki-lau-lau
First guy off the bench
First guy off the bench

Post by huki-lau-lau »

2014 FOOTBALL SEASON COMES TO A CLOSE WITH A 13-10 LOSS TO PUNAHOU IN SEMIFINALS
HERE IS MY ASSESMENT OF OUR NEW FIRST YEAR HEAD COACH LEE LESLIE

===========THE GOOD===========

i have always been in support of first year head coach lee leslie from the start
i will give the overall grade to him of B and here is why..

- he kept the same oc sterling carvalho and same assistants

- a better dc in sola solia

- the idea of a new coach coming in sparked a resurgence in some players/parents that were pessimistic about the previous direction of the football program. this could be a start to the community restoring their faith in the academic side of the program which in turn keeps some kids home to stop the increasing number of players leaving. there will always be kids that leave but handfuls of them leaving means a change was needed.

- lastyear they finished 4th in the oia and didnt qualify for states, with basically the same players from lastyear they came an injury close to upsetting mililani and punahou.

- lastyear we were probably not even in the top 10 for defense, this year everyone will agree that we are the #1 defense.

- leslies new offensive spread will take time, the fact that we are now wanting to become a balanced offense sparks what i hope is a new outlook for our younger kids to develop their passing/receiving skills. i believe the days of smashmouth need to be limited because of the constant beating down of these players bodys. the nfl and college game is changin, i wouldnt want my kid to be in a system that forces him to smash his head into opposing defenders constantly. kahukus injurys are concussions,seperated shoulders,broke collarbones etc... a dominant passing team like mililani and punahou their injurys are sprained ankle, mcl acl (below the waist injurys), kahuku will always have hardheaded bulldozing studs but lets add that second dimension of passing and keep our players healthy during the season and for the rest of their lives. I have a handful of kahuku classmates that we all played football at kahuku and college and some of them say they suffer from migranes and little neck spasms here and there, they attribute it to years of helmet and pads contact, they also say that it was not worth it and wouldnt paly football if they went back in time.

===========THE BAD===========

- never make excuses in an interview and give the media an opportunity to report it. reggie,okimoto,kale ane are all good examples of always being humble in a win or loss, if you have gripes about refs or opposing teams go grumble to your assistants but not in the media. i was pretty put off when leslie mentioned (http://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=12278) the two interferiance calls (30 yds) at the end of the punahou game as the possible reason for the puns game winning field goal drive. first of all it was his fault that he didnt know the rules at the beginning of the game when he kicked off in an improper formation leading to noa's 83 yd td return, that right there was the deciding factor in the game and he needs to swallow a humble pill and not try to point out other things in the game.

- play calling: most will say that the play calling was horrendous but i have seen the evolution of the offense over the season from game to game replayed every single game analyzing the individual players performances. the lack of offensive output has alot to do with player depth as well as with coaches decisions. we just didnt have enough depth at full back and oline for our qb and runingbacks to maximize their potential. yes the smashmouth with sala wily was very effective but he had to play defense too so u cant run the kid into the ground n burn him out. the spot duty play calling with our runningbacks (sala,pena) and db's (alohi,keala,afalava) was spot on.

- last but not least is change can be bad too. i said above that change for our khs program was good and half of redraider nation would agree, yet the other half is opposite and are mad about the change, they didnt give leslie a chance and after being very critical of the entire season and exit in the playoffs they now have reasons to continue to pout. a nation divided is bad so let us try to move on and support and hope for the best.
-------------------

harus0ra
Pine rider
Pine rider

Post by harus0ra »

huki-lau-lau wrote:2014 FOOTBALL SEASON COMES TO A CLOSE WITH A 13-10 LOSS TO PUNAHOU IN SEMIFINALS

i have always been in support of first year head coach lee leslie from the start

- the idea of a new coach coming in sparked a resurgence in some players/parents that were pessimistic about the previous direction of the football program. this could be a start to the community restoring their faith in the academic side of the program which in turn keeps some kids home to stop the increasing number of players leaving. there will always be kids that leave but handfuls of them leaving means a change was needed.

- lastyear they finished 4th in the oia and didnt qualify for states, with basically the same players from lastyear they came an injury close to upsetting mililani and punahou.

- lastyear we were probably not even in the top 10 for defense, this year everyone will agree that we are the #1 defense.

- leslies new offensive spread will take time, the fact that we are now wanting to become a balanced offense sparks what i hope is a new outlook for our younger kids to develop their passing/receiving skills. i believe the days of smashmouth need to be limited because of the constant beating down of these players bodys. the nfl and college game is changin, i wouldnt want my kid to be in a system that forces him to smash his head into opposing defenders constantly. kahukus injurys are concussions,seperated shoulders,broke collarbones etc... a dominant passing team like mililani and punahou their injurys are sprained ankle, mcl acl (below the waist injurys), kahuku will always have hardheaded bulldozing studs but lets add that second dimension of passing and keep our players healthy during the season and for the rest of their lives. I have a handful of kahuku classmates that we all played football at kahuku and college and some of them say they suffer from migranes and little neck spasms here and there, they attribute it to years of helmet and pads contact, they also say that it was not worth it and wouldnt paly football if they went back in time.

- never make excuses in an interview and give the media an opportunity to report it. reggie,okimoto,kale ane are all good examples of always being humble in a win or loss, if you have gripes about refs or opposing teams go grumble to your assistants but not in the media. i was pretty put off when leslie mentioned (http://scoringlive.com/story.php?storyid=12278) the two interferiance calls (30 yds) at the end of the punahou game as the possible reason for the puns game winning field goal drive. first of all it was his fault that he didnt know the rules at the beginning of the game when he kicked off in an improper formation leading to noa's 83 yd td return, that right there was the deciding factor in the game and he needs to swallow a humble pill and not try to point out other things in the game.

- play calling: most will say that the play calling was horrendous but i have seen the evolution of the offense over the season from game to game replayed every single game analyzing the individual players performances. the lack of offensive output has alot to do with player depth as well as with coaches decisions. we just didnt have enough depth at full back and oline for our qb and runingbacks to maximize their potential. yes the smashmouth with sala wily was very effective but he had to play defense too so u cant run the kid into the ground n burn him out. the spot duty play calling with our runningbacks (sala,pena) and db's (alohi,keala,afalava) was spot on.

- last but not least is change can be bad too. i said above that change for our khs program was good and half of redraider nation would agree, yet the other half is opposite and are mad about the change, they didnt give leslie a chance and after being very critical of the entire season and exit in the playoffs they now have reasons to continue to pout. a nation divided is bad so let us try to move on and support and hope for the best.
They still need to be a run first team with passing until you have a reliable QB and your right about the coaches being humble. Coach Lee should take lessons from these coaches

fanoffb
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by fanoffb »

huki-lau-lau wrote:2014 FOOTBALL SEASON COMES TO A CLOSE WITH A 13-10 LOSS TO PUNAHOU IN SEMIFINALS

This is a really insightful assessment. Of course whenever you replace someone who enjoyed a lot of success (Reggie had 4 titles?) there are going to be those who no matter what, will not be on board. Would you say that Leslie has won over more of the community than were initially behind him?

I was really surprised that he did reference those 2 penalties. That just doesn't seem like something a coach should do. Some of his pre-game comments were also a little off-putting but perhaps it was just a result of being confident. There are a lot of things you could blame the loss on; the turnovers, lack of continuous play-making, etc. Were the officials less than stellar? Sure. But have we seen many games where Hawaii officials were great? The fumble by Cockett looked like it was caused by the ground. There was a PI or two on Punahou that seemed questionable. The 2nd PI on Kahuku at the end was questionable but the first one seemed like a no-doubter. Nevertheless you could dissect every call by the officials and find something either wrong or validating. But you can't say to the media that those 2 calls were the reason. As an experienced head coach, I would have expected more from Leslie. But he did a nice job of leading a team that was less talented than a lot and coming really, really close to making the finals. I am sure Kahuku will continue to improve as his system becomes more ingrained.

ThaGame
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by ThaGame »

A 'B' for the HC is a little generous if you ask me. Maybe a 'C' grade because he was average at best. The change was needed but to bring in a cars salesman was pretty much a joke. I say cars salesman because he talked a whole lot of stuff that the Red raider brass fell for. I can name 3 people off the top of my head(not the obvious ones) in the community who could of done better job with the same players. All I hear from him is a bunch of excuses of why it's not going his way. If the admin wanted to change the culture was it really necessary to go outside to do so? Someone who 'really' knows what RRFL was brought in to mentor our kids and give them that experience???? WTF!!!

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JUS_another_brotha »

Kahuku will never be the same. St Louis will win the next 5 years cause of the kids that are going to St louis. Yea some are from Kahuku. That is all.

Martin
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by Martin »

JUS_another_brotha wrote:Kahuku will never be the same. St Louis will win the next 5 years cause of the kids that are going to St louis. Yea some are from Kahuku. That is all.
That's what u said in 2000-2006. But it was 5 States for Kahuku and 5 loses for St.Louis. Can't count the Mariota asterik year also. I believe Kahuku beat them by 3 TDs.

JUS_another_brotha
Pom pom fluffer
Pom pom fluffer

Post by JUS_another_brotha »

No not really cause no one left Kahuku thatw as good that went to any ILH team. As of today, Kahuku already lost the freshman class now. I heard 7 or 8 went to St Louis?????

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

JUS_another_brotha wrote:No not really cause no one left Kahuku thatw as good that went to any ILH team. As of today, Kahuku already lost the freshman class now. I heard 7 or 8 went to St Louis?????
too bad STL coaching blows as always.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions