Exploiting student athletes for profit

Give your high school or alumni a shout out! Talk about high school sports in this forum.
westside.gee
High-quality H20 provider

Exploiting student athletes for profit

Post by westside.gee »

With the NCAA losing its court ruling for using student-athletes likeness and image to profit in various revenues does anyone in here see a similar thing happening at the high school level? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzX4Uv ... hc0qvr4KnA

For example sites like scoringlive.com that are privately operated where 100% of their content is from high school sports, you could say that they use the likeness of the school and its star players to create content (video/pictures) that attract an internet crowd. These internet users that visit the site now have a dollar price on there heads and are used to show investors/advertisers how valuable a market the website has captured. The website now has leverage to exchange their visitors eyeballs for advertising dollars. The PRODUCT is the high schools and their star players, the CUSTOMER is not you or I, it is the paying advertisers.

I am not sure that any of you care about any of this but the fact are the facts and all it takes is someone like Ed Obannon to see that a wrong needs to be made right.

soleu
Pine rider
Pine rider

Re: Exploiting student athletes for profit

Post by soleu »

westside.gee wrote:With the NCAA losing its court ruling for using student-athletes likeness and image to profit in various revenues does anyone in here see a similar thing happening at the high school level? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzX4Uv ... hc0qvr4KnA

For example sites like scoringlive.com that are privately operated where 100% of their content is from high school sports, you could say that they use the likeness of the school and its star players to create content (video/pictures) that attract an internet crowd. These internet users that visit the site now have a dollar price on there heads and are used to show investors/advertisers how valuable a market the website has captured. The website now has leverage to exchange their visitors eyeballs for advertising dollars. The PRODUCT is the high schools and their star players, the CUSTOMER is not you or I, it is the paying advertisers.

I am not sure that any of you care about any of this but the fact are the facts and all it takes is someone like Ed Obannon to see that a wrong needs to be made right.
There's a big difference between revenues from nationwide college sports and island wide prep sports. Just not enough money for anyone to gain anything from it.

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

westside.gee wrote:With the NCAA losing its court ruling for using student-athletes likeness and image to profit in various revenues does anyone in here see a similar thing happening at the high school level? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzX4Uv ... hc0qvr4KnA

In my opinion i would rather have scoring live as a news source then not. And if somebody is working full time then them getting paid is no big deal, its not like they are selling anything, so you cant do much about it anyway.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions

westside.gee

Post by westside.gee »

Undftd wrote: ...its not like they are selling anything..
They are selling advertising to corporations. http://scoringlive.com/advertise
(Taco bell/Pizza hut/New city nissan..)

Their product is the Star athletes and the schools, specifically football which is popular.
Im not disagreeing with what scoringlive is doing, in fact I love the work and information they go out and get, but are they doing it through the correct channels?

Do they have permission from the OIA to promote and profit off of the OIA public schools? If so does the OIA have jurisdiction over its public school athletes to allow even deeper exploitation of those individuals? Such is the case with the NCAA and their usage of the individual college athletes "likeness and image".

saynotomercs
Play Maker
Play Maker

Post by saynotomercs »

westside.gee wrote:

Their product is the Star athletes and the schools, specifically football which is popular.
Im not disagreeing with what scoringlive is doing, in fact I love the work and information they go out and get, but are they doing it through the correct channels?

Do they have permission from the OIA to promote and profit off of the OIA public schools? If so does the OIA have jurisdiction over its public school athletes to allow even deeper exploitation of those individuals? Such is the case with the NCAA and their usage of the individual college athletes "likeness and image".
I believe "freedom of the press" is in the First Amendment.

I hope you are just over-thinking this one. If scoringlive is in the wrong, you could only cover amateur sports on a volunteer basis. Does anyone want that condition?

Undftd

Post by Undftd »

saynotomercs wrote:
westside.gee wrote:

I believe "freedom of the press" is in the First Amendment.

I hope you are just over-thinking this one. If scoringlive is in the wrong, you could only cover amateur sports on a volunteer basis. Does anyone want that condition?
Bingo. Freedom of press covers scoring live in the same way bloggers can talk about whatever they want.
Undefeated. 11-0
State Champions